league growth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

league growth

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:57 pm

We've had some talk on growing the league, I'd like to put some ideas into action.

1. An event to start the new league.....mega battle at the den to showcase the game.....sometime in Feb (I have to confirm a date with Darren)

2. A league poster at the Den to advertise the league and forum with contact info

3. A tournament at the Den every 2 months to bring up our profile and attract new players....as well as keep our own interest.

4. Once a month have a games day at the Den. Hopefully on a regular schedule.

I will run the tournaments unless anyone else wants to run an event.

thoughts?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: league growth

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I've been thinking about this recently. Although I way prefer to play in Andre's garage and Carson's, Nathan's and my own basement, it does little to inspire others to join the group and grow our hobby.

We should make more of an effort to plan our gamesdays around the Den and hopefully pick up a few guys here and there. We could also reach out to the fellows that seemingly only play once a year and hit up the guys that Carson had mentioned he bumped into.

Darren, at the Den, has mentioned there's a few different groups playing Warhammer...yet we don't have names or contact info. I'll make an effort to find out who these guys are, and quite honestly, see if they'll fit into our group. There must be a few others out there that are interested, we just have to convince them to get off the couch.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:44 pm

These all look like great ideas to me.

The more people(good people) playing the better.

Scheduled game days and frequent tournaments are really good ideas, everyone loves tournaments.

Something I was thinking about the other day was maybe talking to King Me here in the city to see if they might be interested in hosting an event from us. I know it isn't really their thing, as they are more of a board game place, but if they were interested, and able to do so it might expose us to a little different audience, who knows.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:47 pm

These all sound good to me.
bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 pm

bluepeople wrote:These all sound good to me.

It's super awesome that you posted. It'd be even more awesome if you played...again. Wink
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 pm

squalie wrote:
bluepeople wrote:These all sound good to me.

It's super awesome that you posted.  It'd be even more awesome if you played...again. Wink

that's why I'm posting.
bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 pm

I think this is a good idea. I can make a poster. Any suggestions as to what should be on it? The thing that got me into the group way back in the day was the lord of the night tournaments. Small point Friday evening tournaments. Quick games and not a lot on the line. They were a lot of fun.

I'll make posters for each tournament too, perhaps they will help raise awareness at least, bring some of the Age of Sigmar guys over.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 pm

nathanr wrote:The thing that got me into the group way back in the day was the lord of the night tournaments.  Small point Friday evening tournaments.  Quick games and not a lot on the line.  They were a lot of fun.

This is something I'm definitely interested in. One thing I always thought would be cool was if someone wrote supplementary rules/ minor rule alterations for playing a game of 1500 pts or less. What I imagine is like 4 model ranks instead of 5, maximum frontage of 6 models(cavalry, infantry, maybe 3 for MI/ MC), max 3 spells for wizards, no lord level things, stuff like that. I'll start a thread for this though, just in case more people want to discuss it.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Growth is good, bringing back old players too is good. Planned events sounds like a good idea. Maybe having a larger number of smaller point games at a tournament is a good idea. You would get to interact with more players and smaller points to buy and paint. But i think we should focus on dragging the dudes who already have armies gathering dust and only play once a year or havent played since 8th rather than trying to recruit fresh blood right away.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am

Poster Text:

Ravening Hordes Gaming Club

Games:
- The 9th Age (www.the-ninth-age.com)
- Flames of War (www.flamesofwar.com)
- Blood Bowl (www.games-workshop.com)

Regular tournaments and events
Online painting challenges
The 9th Age League

and maybe have some tear strips across the bottom with the forum address on it.

Thoughts? Image suggestions? This is all just brainstorming so let me know if you love/hate/are indiferent.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:03 pm

I talked to Darren at the Den, and he mentioned most of the guys that are playing "fantasy" are playing Age of Sigmar and are predominantly 40k players that have transitioned or do both. He couldn't really think of many other "8th" edition guys he's seen around we could bring into 9th. Looks like we may have to actually reach out to some of the fellows that have posted on this site and see if we can 9th Age them.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:55 pm

That's sounds about perfect Nathan.

I heard the same from Darren on 40k and the age of sigmar

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm

What about bringing back the lord of the night tourneys on like Friday nights?
GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Sounds good to me Nathan!

Now I have no clue what goes on at the Den but id assume Fridays would be hard to compete for space. With FNM and everyone else im sure wanting a table Fridays.

i think a weekly thing would be cool but hard to set up. Id settle for a planned event a month for now? Might work best with schedules and increase turn out. And sprinkle a few mega battles through the year to tell a story! Or just different armies, chaos vs elves next?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Those Friday night tournaments were alot of fun

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content