Back to top Go down

Re: I'd like to play D&D 5e...

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 pm

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:14 pm

this is bloody brilliant, even the first one would make D&D so much better and easier for the dm.

so, when are we getting this going? Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 pm

That's one thing I always hated was dealing with the fog of war. Being able to reveal areas as the characters move along almost brings me to tears.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Dammit Don, how long have you berated me for playing my DnD over the internet, OH HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED.
The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:00 am

The Apothecary wrote:Dammit Don, how long have you berated me for playing my DnD over the internet, OH HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED.

Just to be clear, this isn't the internet. This is dudes sitting around the table using very convenient technology for the DM. Very Happy
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:56 am

I have never actually played d&d in its true form but have always wanted to. I remember years back there was a board game version we tried but mostly just fumbled about with. My parents took some convincing to even let us have this as in the news some kids had beat to death another kid acting out their d&d in real life.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 am

Mhael wrote:I have never actually played d&d in its true form but have always wanted to. I remember years back there was a board game version we tried but mostly just fumbled about with. My parents took some convincing to even let us have this as in the news some kids had beat to death another kid acting out their d&d in real life.

D&D is the best game you'll ever play, and I'm sure few would argue the cultural impact it's had over the 40+ years it's been around. The problem is it's always tricky to get 5-6 guys together for a full day consistently... because of lives and wives.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:37 am

There must be shorter campaign quests for guys who want an informal build up or trial run through. Or even for the nistalgic to wet their fingers
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Mhael wrote:There must be shorter campaign quests for guys who want an informal build up or trial run through. Or even for the nistalgic to wet their fingers

Do, or do not. There is no try....

D&D is just something that you play as long as you want as often as you can. Roll up a character, start and adventure and see where it takes you. It'd be like playing a 500 point Warhammer game, we get the idea, but it's not the same.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 pm

I love Role playing games, however I hate the DnD rules so, so, so much!!!! It's the grandfather of them all so I get that it's going to be the easiest game to find players for. The cultural impact is off the chizz-ain too.

Of all the systems I've tried very few I've tried are half as bad as DnD.

Another thing Don and I can chop it up about next time we get together!

If your choice was to NOT play an RPG or to play DnD you should of course play DnD and give the experience a try.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I love Role playing games, however I hate the DnD rules so, so, so much!!!!  It's the grandfather of them all so I get that it's going to be the easiest game to find players for.  The cultural impact is off the chizz-ain too.

Of all the systems I've tried very few I've tried are half as bad as DnD.

Another thing Don and I can chop it up about next time we get together!

If your choice was to NOT play an RPG or to play DnD you should of course play DnD and give the experience a try.

Totally missed this post. 101% glad I did.

Anyways, I was thinking that since it's tricky getting guys together for this that maybe a weekend style of gaming like we do with Warhammer could work? Start early Sat morning and crush it as late as possible Sat night and head home Sunday morning (or play more). Just throwing ideas as I know it's hard to get a team together consistently.

D&D is the game that never happens but never dies. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Just let me know when. Every dungeon exploring group needs a dwarf to grumble and swing an axe
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Mhael wrote:Just let me know when. Every dungeon exploring group needs a dwarf to grumble and swing an axe

As much as I hate Dwarfs, there's no truer statement...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Im definitely in Don and I like the idea of the two day event. Make it happen!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:33 pm

yup I'm all over this

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

yup- this is how that weekend will play out.

Post  Ddodge on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 pm

yup- this is how that weekend will play out. I'm in.
Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:48 pm

Alright you freaks - here's my concerns:

- it's a nice problem to have, but we have 8 guys willing to be players - which is too many. I'll DM, unless someone else is dying to do it. I need super commitment if this is going to work, and D&D is an all day/night thing. Playing for just a couple hours is pointless. So, the guys that say here they want to play have to REALLY want to play and be able to do so at least twice a month. This is D&D and a few others rely on attendance. 3 guys running 6 characters doesn't work. Wink you need to be able to bury a Saturday or Sunday and not feel guilty get grief for it. That's in ink.

- A couple of us live in Moose Jaw and a couple in Saskatoon. How does this work. Do we have a home base? Where is it, the toon or Moose Jaw? It seems easier for Moose Jaw guys to come up, BUT, my house and my wife will be super lenient about having a table set up for months or years. Smile no cares in my house.

- printed campaign material. I've had a few instances where I've run a campaign and the fellows will read ahead in a module that they can find on the shelf. I would likely run something that most couldn't find but some of the new stuff looks really cool!! If I notice evidence that you're familiar with the module, you will be killed, eaten and the video will go up on YouTube.

- I lean towards traditional gaming; which means no treant rangers, umber hulk mages or super silly shit that 10 year old power gamers would play. Half dragon barbarians are the stuff of NPC's and if that's your thing - stick to video games. You will not have a vorpal sword at level 5 (if ever). Gold is expensive, platinum is rare and playing a troll berserker gets you attention you don't want and kills it for everyone else. Smile

If this sounds bad, then you've probably already stopped reading. If this works for you then keep your name posted and we'll see where this goes.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Damnnit, this looks fun but I don't think I can commit to the time thing. Oh well.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47 pm

1 - I am 100% committed for time.

2 - "easier" for Moose Jaw guys because we are more willing. I vote MJ as base of operations because of Don's house. Easy to leave a table set up, lots of room to crash. and no tiny humans to dodge.

3 - Dont understand this so i probably wont be a culprit?

4 - Traditional is best, play style i feel like rocking a Dwarf Cleric, buuut as i've been warned my personality would suit a halfling ranger / rogue more. So thats the way i'm going! Fine no Vorpal swords, i'll take a vorpal dagger Wink is fine.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I've been bugging Don about this for months so of course I want to.

We all have to be up front in this as its a shit load of work for the Dm.

I can commit 100% to 1 weekend a month with no problems, 2 a month would be situational.

I can make the drive to MooseJaw

However, I can offer my basement, Its my domain!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 pm

I can commit to once a month also. I can easily make the drive to Don's for this and can offer up the garage during summers. I am so rookie i dont even know all these other creatures. Plus i feel i would be betraying myself not to be a dwarf. Where does one go to research characters?
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I have PDFs of all the books for 5th ill find some cheap USB sticks and give them to every player and the DM
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Don, here's some free unsolicited advice on how to handle the RPG situation! I myself am going to run something this year as well following the stuff I am outlining here.

-A campaign is nuts and the reality is it will NOT work. Let's just be real. You think grown adults with jobs and families can all agree to a date even a month out... no way brudda!

My counterpoint is to just run single sessions that are self contained. Rather than thinking about running a campaign that would unfold like Star Wars episode 1-7 go for a one off Rogue One single day/weekend adventure. Advantages!

-Attendance can be drop in and out. You're not beholden to a year plus worth of dates. New players can join and old players can leave. Players simply need to have characters they want to use for the day or keep an old one. Sidebar! This is easier if you're not playing shitty DnD and making a character takes 3min as opposed to an evening. Fuck Dnd in its face.

-New systems! You can drop in and out of game systems and experiment and see if you find something you like more than DnD (You will... easily...)

-I think they're are a ton more advantages to this approach then the old school get together every Sunday style of RPG campaigning. How great is it too run a game where no character is really "safe" and you don't feel obliged to help out the dumb ass PC's who keep drinking random vials of shit or running into high level monsters because "they can feel a 20" coming?

I plan on lumping sessions together narratively if the plans I have work out at all. A massive success for the adventure will be noted in the next session and influence things even if they're nto playing the saem characters.

Just some thoughts. You're also having a large portion of your group who've never really done this type of thing at all before. It might be better to break everyone in to a simple "Keep on the Borderlands" type of mission as a one off even if you do try to go full on open ended campaign.

Love ya like a brother Don.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:14 pm

So, recent conversations have us possibly doing a 2-time-a-month "all day" gaming day, with one Saturday in Moose Jaw and one Saturday in Saskatoon. Most of the people interested in playing are going to be at my house on the weekend so we can talk then.

Also, in regards to rolling up characters, I'm torn between point buy - which will allow people to make what they want AND give all players a level field for stats, or roll 4D6 and drop lowest - which would allow *slightly* higher stats but leave it open for one poor soul to roll crap and another to roll Conan.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top