Tournament: February Fate (LWWII) @ Tramp's on Feb 25th/2017

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tournament: February Fate (LWWII) @ Tramp's on Feb 25th/2017

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am

nathanr wrote:

Third game was against a Russian tank horde with 7 Matildas, 12 (or so) Lee's, 7 Stuarts and 4 bigger Russian tanks that I don't know what they were (plus some other supporting units).  I killed all the Matildas, all the Lees, all the Stuarts and 2 of the bigger tanks.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of guys in the process and I had to take a company morale check which I automatically failed because my 1ic was dead.  Still, I was 1 tank away from forcing a check on him as well so I'll call it a moral victory although in reality it was a 4-3 loss.
What about your 2ic? Guessing also dead?
|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Pretty sure those big tanks were SU-85's
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Lance, I also appologize for not helping to clean up. I left when I did so that I'd be able to get back to Saskatoon in time to put my kids to bed (not to guilt you but I missed my son's hockey tournament to attend). The next tournament I come to I'll try to be there to help set up and tear down. I think if I had stuck around on Saturday I wouldn't have made it home until after midnight the way people were hanging around jawing about could-have-beens and whatnot.

I re-read my first post and it reads pretty harsh and that isn't what I intended. I very much enjoyed myself and all 3 of my games. You put on a great tournament and I can definitely appreciate and see all the effort that gets put into every one of your events. You can justify your artillery park all you want though, it is still a very frustrating company to face as a beginner. No doubt veteran players will see it as just another list and in a tournament anything goes but if you are coming to the tournament knowing that you are going to be playing the new guy and wanting him to have a good time and stay in the game you might want to rethink your list. Honestly, I don't know why I'm sticking up for Sean so much. He just looked like such a sad panda at lunch I guess I felt bad for the guy. A tournament is a tough place for a beginner to cut his teeth I guess, does that mean that you as TO should be a punching bag? I don't know, probably not. Plus Sean and Don have been "beginners" in this game for over a year now so I shouldn't feel too bad for them (and yes, I just lumped you in with Sean so deal with it Don). I think I just typed myself into a circular argument with myself, disregard as much of this paragraph as you feel appropriate.

As for all the other stuff, I am always very pleasantly surprised with the swag that is given out at the tournaments. I didn't realize that Battlefront gives prize support, that's cool. Don't worry about the Saskatoon guys being butthurt about imaginary/petty stuff. So long as lessons were learned from last year's regional tournament I think this year it'll run way more smoothly. Especially if that asshat from the states doesn't show up. I would actually prefer a very strict time limit on games. The end of all three of my games seemed to have a "but maybe we can squeeze in one more turn" vibe to them and there wasn't much in the way of enforcement of the time limit (or maybe people are just good at ignoring you). I think you just have to start a clock at the beginning of each round and have it so everyone can see. If there isn't time to finish a full turn then don't start one. When the time is up it is dice down and count up the points. No "just finishing up" which turns into "just do this last assault" which turns into "just finish up the turn" which turns into "but if I kill one more stand I win so let's do another turn, it'll be fast" which turns into "you got a turn so now I get a turn" and just like that we're 30 minutes over the time limit.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

|marauder| wrote:
nathanr wrote:

Third game was against a Russian tank horde with 7 Matildas, 12 (or so) Lee's, 7 Stuarts and 4 bigger Russian tanks that I don't know what they were (plus some other supporting units).  I killed all the Matildas, all the Lees, all the Stuarts and 2 of the bigger tanks.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of guys in the process and I had to take a company morale check which I automatically failed because my 1ic was dead.  Still, I was 1 tank away from forcing a check on him as well so I'll call it a moral victory although in reality it was a 4-3 loss.
What about your 2ic? Guessing also dead?

Yep, long dead.  I was making platoon morale checks on that side of the table for most of the game but I kept hanging on.  The 1ic died when he decided to bring along a few stands of infantry through the forest to assault first some spetznatz and then some Lees.  I can't remember when he died but it was gloriously heroic regardless.

Squalie wrote:Pretty sure those big tanks were SU-85's

Probably right.  I couldn't do much to them with my Cromwells or 6 pdrs as they had front armour 9.

Every tournament I've played in Regina I've faced Shawn M.  This was the closest I've come to beating him. That means that of the 14 tournament games I've played, 4 of them have been losses to Shawn.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Huh... - well sorry about that - but, as Shawn is one of the better players that is a good sign that A/ if you have enough points to challenge him you are doing well and B/ you almost beat him - well done.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 pm

nathanr wrote:  Honestly, I don't know why I'm sticking up for Sean so much.  He just looked like such a sad panda at lunch I guess I felt bad for the guy.  A tournament is a tough place for a beginner to cut his teeth I guess, does that mean that you as TO should be a punching bag?  I don't know, probably not.  
Definitely, something for me to consider though. Yes, I have often timed out with my 'new' player and have been known to lose once in a while as well which is also embarrassing. And, Sean's list has potential more so in V4 I think so he will be happy when it changes over.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:47 pm

nathanr wrote:

I very much enjoyed myself and all 3 of my games.  You put on a great tournament and I can definitely appreciate and see all the effort that gets put into every one of your events.  
Happy to read that.
Thanks!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Ha ok there is TOO much here for me to even get into. but looks like you guys got the points all down solid. As always Nathan i appreciate the concern for me, but i live in eternal sad pandaness, something I'm working on as a person because i'm sure after a few of my droopy lip moments i am no fun for my opponents. Again working on it, just call me out on it and i'm sure that will straighten me out. (eventually)

I did have fun... i think? I mean i did because playing games and rolling dice is always fun. Some things i was feeling, One i think i liked WWII historically better than the game... honestly the whole time all i was thinking was "if i'm going to spend a saturday rolling dice mine as well be Warhammer". Because i'm not going to lie, pretty much after the first turn of the first game i was ready to go home. I realized i knew not a single thing i was doing, i had no tactics to speak of and a tournament is a horrible / terrible place for a new player. Never again. But that being said i can admit that is totally my fault for not knowing. 100%

Lance you always go above and beyond for these tournaments and i dont think anyone here is faulting you at all. I will admit tho an Arty Park is akin to a Warhammer Dwarven gunline and no, those are no fun to face. But again a completely different story if i actually knew what i was doing.

Definitely going to give V4 an honest try before i even show up for the next tourney! haha Was a good day minus hipster beet ketchup ... wtf.

** Watched Hacksaw Ridge right when i got home and loved it. Definitely was still in a WW2 mood so after the movie i went and read everything i could about it and fuck the pacific theater was hell and the IJA were terrible just wow.

Altho being a tank commander in the pacific theater would have been way better than in Europe as the Japs had shitty AT stuff, and 37mm tanks from the start of the war! haha. pew bounce pew bounce... Where as German tanks were much scarier
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 am

There are two more V3 tournaments in Regina this year:
March 25th - MWWII Tournament = Last Kick at the Katyusha
April 22&23 - Regionals
Then it is all V4
However, that being said I have offered many times to play and try out your lists. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate to play style or work well in missions.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 am

|marauder| wrote:There are two more V3 tournaments in Regina this year:
March 25th - MWWII Tournament = Last Kick at the Katyusha
April 22&23 - Regionals
Then it is all V4
However, that being said I have offered many times to play and try out your lists. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate to play style or work well in missions.

All good! I'm just going to wait for V4! Thanks Lance
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:35 am

March 25 is an event for us in Saskatoon. I'm in for Regionals.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 am

squalie wrote:March 25 is an event for us in Saskatoon.  I'm in for Regionals.
Awesome - same points as last weekend!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top