Tournament: February Fate (LWWII) @ Tramp's on Feb 25th/2017

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tournament: February Fate (LWWII) @ Tramp's on Feb 25th/2017

Post  |marauder| on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 am

Tournament: February Fate (LWWII)
♠ February 25th @ 9am - 1700
$5.00 entry fee
• Tramp's Comics & Games (1828 Scarth Street)
♥ 1625 Late War point World War II armies
- please e-mail lists no later than February 11th (cigamnogard@sasktel.net)
|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Tournament: February Fate (LWWII) @ Tramp's on Feb 25th/2017

Post  Kal on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:22 am

I know i sound like a broken record with this question. But do the armies have to be painted? Because i finally purchased my last box of infantry so my army is almost all built and ready so I'd definitely be in for this 100% this time.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 am

I could probably make this one. Is 1625 the new point level for late war?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 am

I'm in.

Paint is preferred but I don't think mandatory. I've faced non painted before and I'm sure Lance would be happier with a bigger turn out than painted models - not to speak for him. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:06 pm

I'm with Don on this one, i mean hell towards the end of the war Russia wasnt even painted their T-34's ! Paints expensive brah

My Grey tanks will just have to fight in a parking lot. Urban Camo!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:18 pm

squalie wrote:I'm in.

Paint is preferred but I don't think mandatory. I've faced non painted before and I'm sure Lance would be happier with a bigger turn out than painted models - not to speak for him. Smile
LOL - a few guys have been speaking for me lately. And, to be honest they are saying EXACTLY what I would say - so all good. Yes, I would love for everything to be painted but I would much rather have more people playing and having fun!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:23 pm

nathanr wrote:I could probably make this one.  Is 1625 the new point level for late war?
No, 1625 is the ETC point total this year. And, I feel it is a good point level. However, if you are looking for the published points they are here:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1984
That being said we will have one more MW Tournament at V3 and then the next will be at V4 with the new points level (that I have no idea how they work).
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Alright i am 100% in. I'll post my list later for some help! Canadians are going to WAR!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Kal wrote: Canadians are going to WAR!
Happy to see some Canadians on the table again. Been seeing more New Zealanders and Gurkas lately!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 am

Lists are due on or before Feb 11th!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

I sent my list in late, but I'm still planning on attending this. I'll be driving down to Regina Saturday morning and driving back to Saskatoon that night if anyone wants a ride.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Lists are overdue - who is all coming out?
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Sorry lance, I'll send my list tonight!!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Looks like a good turn out!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for hosting a great tournament Lance! I had 3 fun games and none of them were blowout losses so I was pretty happy about that. The last game was particularly satisfying because I got to kill over 2 dozen tanks, I still lost but just barely and I had my chance to win as well. Actually all 3 games I got to kill a lot of tanks:

First game was against an American tank destroyer company. He had 12 M10's and 4 Stuarts along with some supporting units. I killed every one of the tanks on the way to a 3-3 loss.

Second game was against a German tank company with 5 Panthers, 3 Brumbars, 3 Panzer II's, 3 Panzer IV's and a bunch of halftracks. I killed every one of the tanks on my way to a 4-3 win.

Third game was against a Russian tank horde with 7 Matildas, 12 (or so) Lee's, 7 Stuarts and 4 bigger Russian tanks that I don't know what they were (plus some other supporting units). I killed all the Matildas, all the Lees, all the Stuarts and 2 of the bigger tanks. Unfortunately I lost a lot of guys in the process and I had to take a company morale check which I automatically failed because my 1ic was dead. Still, I was 1 tank away from forcing a check on him as well so I'll call it a moral victory although in reality it was a 4-3 loss.

One thing I will call you out on Lance, as the tournament organizer and generally the face of Flames of War in Regina I find it odd that you'd field an artillery park. I'd say that list is one of the most frustrating and un-fun companies to face, especially as a beginner to the game. Not only that, but you picked the two most inexperienced players as your opponents in the first two rounds, utterly destroying them and then you had the audacity to claim tournament victory. Now I realize that there are national rankings and everything to consider but I find it doesn't quite sit right when the tournament organizer wins his own tournament. Maybe it is different in Flames of War but in every other game I've played the TO is a place-filler who gets to play if there is an odd number. Furthermore, if you are going to take it on yourself to play the inexperienced guys you need to be an ambassador to the game and make it a fun (and fair) time otherwise those people are going to leave and not come back. If you are in it to win it, then let someone else do the matchups or randomize it.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Interesting Post.  I also busted Lance's balls for playing the British Arty list.  Didn't know he won though!  Never put much thought into it, but It seems odd to have the TO win and pick matches and not randomize opponents.  To be fair, I almost beat Lance and if I knew a sniff on how to play I may have done just that - but the point remains I suppose.  I actually have no issue with a TO being in an event - but they shouldn't be able to influence match ups.  Whatever, I'll still play FoW as I enjoy the game and don't really care about the rankings or winning an event.

I really did enjoy the event and the only reason (for me) it wasn't better was that I simply don't know the rules, forgot, or just play Warhammer with Tanks - which will certainly lose you every game.  We only have to wait a couple weeks for Version 4 rules and we'll see how much time I put into FoW.

My first game was against Jason, a super cool fellow that I absolutely stole the win from. FoW!  He was shooting holes into my Soviets with his German Panzer army, sprinkled with a couple Panthers. Playing my Warhammer style Soviet Rota army (which is not very good) I asked him what turn it was and he replied, "Doesn't matter - it's objective".  Ohhhhhh, ya - this isn't Warhammer.  That very moment I stopped trying to kill everything and cruised my Spetsnaz Recce over to the objective for the win!  This game is easy!!

Second game against Lance, I was attacker full on, him the defender half on.  I also have infiltration; meaning that I can attach my recce to a Platoon and make a 16" move before the game.  Opponent rolls a die, if they roll a six, they see me and steal first turn - which Lance did!  His 5.5's beat my 10 Stuarts up pretty good as I clumped them together knowing I had first turn (Wah -Waaaaa).  Anyways, it was a fun game, but I couldn't get rid of the 5.5 fast enough before all the 25 pdrs showed up and couldn't get near the objective.  Lance for the win.

Third game was against Jason's (first opponents) 10 year old (?) son.  One of the worst beatings I've ever had and the little blighter sure knows how to play. Cool kid though and his dad said he's never beat him.  His 3!!! Jumbo's and easy 8's hiding behind them laughed at my Tanks, which disappeared turn after turn trying for a Flank. (Hen and Chicks can suck it) and when my Rota units came on turn 4, it didn't matter as he was nestled beside the objectives and all I had was 50 cals, a few dumb Soviet soldiers and no time to push the objective.  I just put my hand out - which he refused!!!  Lol, the little dude wanted blood!  Anyways, he took it 6-1.  Massive beating, but a cool game.  

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this:  I had the feeling driving home after the event it's certainly a different ruleset than Warhammer and you really need to brush up on the rules and have a plan.  Waaaay more strategy, but the Khorne in me just wants to roll dice and take skulls.  Doesn't work in FoW, but more importantly - the people.  I've noticed that in Warhammer, the people are generally cool, with the odd one being annoying (Sean Wink ) or an asshole (I know you're reading this site), but it's still kinda rare.  In FoW events, I see a higher number of "douche's" and I'm not sure if I'm simply not used to the environment or If I'm 100% correct.  I WILL say that 8th/9th edition Warhammer ruleset avoids a lot more arguing than in FoW.  There's a lot more fudging, measuring, line of sight and dice arguments in FoW than in Warhammer.

Also, even though I've enjoyed the last couple FoW events, including last years Regionals, it always seems clouded by inconsistent enforcement.  Even in this last event, games ran way past allotted time, match ups were goofy and designed (Now that I think of it).  Since I don't care that much as I was going into the event knowing I was going 0-3 (I won one!), I'm sure it's a much bigger deal to most there.  

I had the chance to watch a FoW game in Saskatoon recently and the fellows weren't sure they were going to Regionals this year as they didn't like how it was handled last year (I agree).  Their complaints were: games running too long for certain players advantage (I agree), one American PoS ruining it for many others and not being handled (I agree) and they mentioned that they were going to bring a lot of cool terrain and were told not to bother. I didn't know about this last one, so can't comment.  What I can say though is that these 2+ guys, were simply not going to show up.  Which means the community is divided and Lance will never know why players opt out of an event...which is super dangerous.  If players are actually voicing concerns that's a million dollar information as most won't even bother saying anything - they just won't show up.

Lance, is a great guy and a superb ambassador for the hobby, but these events need a template that shows expectations and consequences.  Forgive the rambling as I was surprised I kept typing. Very Happy

Last edited by squalie on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Good post Don. It definitely makes me realize what a good group we've got in our 9th Age league.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 am

Interesting:
Here are the results:

February Fate 2/25/2017 3
Player Name Army Position
Jace Ryan German 1
Lance Mathew British 2
Shawn Morris Soviet 3
Tim Miller German 4
Brody Mazurick German 5
Jason Berkan German 6
Alex Berkan USA 7
Nathan Rinholm British 8
Scott Miller Japanese 9
Dana Madsen German 10
Doug Amelia USA 11
Don Matwe Soviet 12
Sean Froc British 13
Sean Kernick Canadian 14

Last edited by |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 am

squalie wrote:Interesting Post.  I also busted Lance's balls for playing the British Arty list.  Didn't know he won though!  Never put much thought into it, but It seems odd to have the TO win and pick matches and not randomize opponents.  To be fair, I almost beat Lance and if I knew a sniff on how to play I may have done just that - but the point remains I suppose.  I actually have no issue with a TO being in an event - but they shouldn't be able to influence match ups.  Whatever, I'll still play FoW as I enjoy the game and don't really care about the rankings or winning an event.
First off - as a TO I do my best to face off against the new player - why? They usually have the most questions and I usually spend most of my first game interrupted so I might as well play them. That being said Sean did very well and hopefully learned enough to do better for the rest of the tournament.
Secondly, if I had not rolled a 6 for Don's infiltration - Don would have won. Secondly, how did I end up playing Don? He and I were tied for points going in to round #2. Jace who won the tournament had 6 points, Shawn, Don and I were all at 5 points. But, Shawn was the top 5 with 5 platoon kills, I was 2nd 5th with 3 platoon kills, and Don was 3rd 5th with a single platoon kill.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 am

squalie wrote:

I had the chance to watch a FoW game in Saskatoon recently and the fellows weren't sure they were going to Regionals this year as they didn't like how it was handled last year (I agree).  Their complaints were: games running too long for certain players advantage (I agree), one American PoS ruining it for many others and not being handled (I agree) and they mentioned that they were going to bring a lot of cool terrain and were told not to bother. I didn't know about this last one, so can't comment.  What I can say though is that these 2+ guys, were simply not going to show up.  Which means the community is divided and Lance will never know why players opt out of an event...which is super dangerous.  If players are actually voicing concerns that's a million dollar information as most won't even bother saying anything - they just won't show up.

Lance, is a great guy and a superb ambassador for the hobby, but these events need a template that shows expectations and consequences.  Forgive the rambling as I was surprised I kept typing. Very Happy
This is good feedback for me and to be honest I was also frustrated with the community for going over time and also deserting when it was time to clean up. So two things:
* 2.25 Sudden Death time
* boxes & bins will be under the table to put the terrain into - if the clean up doesn't happen it will be 2 hour Sudden Death games from now on

[/list]
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 am

squalie wrote: 

they mentioned that they were going to bring a lot of cool terrain and were told not to bother. I didn't know about this last one, so can't comment.  What I can say though is that these 2+ guys, were simply not going to show up.  Which means the community is divided and Lance will never know why players opt out of an event...which is super dangerous.  If players are actually voicing concerns that's a million dollar information as most won't even bother saying anything - they just won't show up.
I begged pleaded and asked everyone for terrain - I even went to a guy's house that was away and was helped by his girlfriend to pack up his terrain. "Don't bother" ummmm - no! Unless they brought it maybe the morning of the tournament at the start time - maybe...but even then a spare table is always great.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 am

nathanr wrote:

One thing I will call you out on Lance, as the tournament organizer and generally the face of Flames of War in Regina I find it odd that you'd field an artillery park.  
Yes, but that is the only punch to the Armoured cars which only have pop guns. Plus in V4 the 5.5 that I have spent lots of $ on won't be any good and will be shelved for years. So that being said let's address the park for most of my turns you face one to two templates - that's all the shooting I have. The 25 pounders are only good if you have stuff that have not dug in, smoke and for pinning - otherwise they aren't that great they just are more points I have to spend to get to the expensive 5.5s. The 5.5s are great but that's it and that's all the list has. It works great on big cat lists and players that sit in their foxholes - it doesn't work so great on lists that are assaulting on turns three plus as all the guns fight or die and they die fast as they are immobile.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 am

Feb Fate Review from my perspective:
* I spend a lot of time setting up and taking down. In this past weekend it was 4+ hours. This doesn't not include the time I spend getting lists, printing them off - chasing players for said lists. So each tournament is about 6+ hours of e-mails, phone calls, and other preparation work. I have even assisted with the Saskatoon events in getting them prize support and submitting the results.
* Yes, I feel bad facing the more inexperienced players the first round but facing another vet and having him stand there while I am at another table answering questions is equally frustrating. Also, I am helping the new player to beat me - never a fun situation to be in in a tournament. That being said I have also bowed out of quite a few tournaments as well. Ideally, we do from time to time have all veteran players and you bet I am in the thick of things.
* Please continue to post and message me as as far as you thought I had won the tournament - and that was not the case. But, then if you had stuck around to help clean up you would have known...yes, slight jab Wink
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:02 am

I'll give you all the credit in the world for posting, Lance. It probably reads like we're beating you up more than we intend, and I certainly appreciate you sticking up for yourself and hearing "the other side". You run a great show and the faults are few and probably unavoidable, so don't let me get to you.

You are absolutely right about set up and tear down. I'm totally guilty of just getting out of there to get back to my own city, but it's disrespectful not to help and I'll put more effort in next time - promise! Thanks for the donuts, by the way!

I also get where you're coming from in regards to being interrupted...but, playing an experienced player also means your game should go much smother/faster than playing an inexperienced fellow like me. I'm sure there's no easy answer here if the TO is going to play - but the one thing I won't budge on is it's always, always a tricky situation when the TO can influence games. You should expect rumblings and grumblings.

I do have to ask. What were the prizes, if any? It seems funny, that I paid $5 to play, got free donuts and coffee if I wanted, and still got a $12 gift cert from Tramps, just for showing up?

I actually DID tell the 2 guys in Saskatoon that that didn't sound like Lance, and to make every effort to make Regionals as their criticism seemed petty. They were also super bitching about V4, so maybe they were just going to keep being grouchy.

Anyways, please don't take anything personally as you're one of the nicest guys I know with a mondo passion for FoW, and we really need that.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

squalie wrote:

I do have to ask.  What were the prizes, if any?  It seems funny, that I paid $5 to play, got free donuts and coffee if I wanted, and still got a $12 gift cert from Tramps, just for showing up?

I take everything as constructive criticism - just trying to reply in kind with my rationality - and I do want it to continue (your questions/comments/issues - I can't fix/address what I don't know about). And, I have no problem answering your questions or what you feel are issues on why I do what I do.
As for prize support here is how it works. I take your $5.00 and do nothing with it but give it back to you - then why do it at all? Good question but from a sales perspective it makes you spend money at Tramp's which who has given us the free space and tables.
As for where does the rest of the $ come from again good question. Battlefront donates $50.00 for events up to eleven people, $75.00 for up to 19, and $100.00 for up to forty nine and more for more. So, the tournament should have been $70.00 (14 players @$5.00) + $75.00 (Battlefront) = $10.36 but Tramp's also donated $ = $12.00/player.
The donuts and muffins were donated by the Mathew family
Once upon a time 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place got the lions share of the prizes --> which doesn't grow the community and doesn't really help sales that much either. I came up with this approach a couple of years ago and I think it does a bit to make the tournament scene more attractive and less competitive.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top