New Lores _ MAGIK!~

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Lores _ MAGIK!~

Post  Kal on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 am

So... I guess I am back, Warhammer thoughts have been dominating my mind lately so why fight it.

Anyways how is everyone finding the new lores? My immediate response is OI where are all my Racial Lores, Sands, Big Green God, Little Green God!? I loved these lores, i loved how they worked with their armies and how they seemed fluffy. But i got over my immediate reaction and tried to fall into line with the new lores, first off i'm not impressed.

In my O&G Army i liked to bring a Ork Shaman and a Goblin Shaman but i'm finding that both lores available to these casters are a bit lack luster for my army and dont really fill in the gaps like the old Racial Lores use to.

I do like Shamanism for my Ork and am warming up to the idea of using it as it seems to not have changed much. but the Goblin lores dont seem to help at all, Pyromancy, Thaumaturgy and Witchcraft are what the Goblin can take.

Anyways anyone have any experiences or tips or anything in this new age of Magic? Whats working whats not working? are Master Wizards the way to go? or just save the points and go with Apprentices
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Lores _ MAGIK!~

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 am

I've been using wizard apprentices mostly but with 3 or 4 spells. I've used mostly druidism, alchemy and shamanism so I can't help you with much else, especially because my opponents have used the same.

I like the totemic beast from shamanism, it's a pretty good spell that my opponents usually save their dispel dice for.

Magic doesn't dominate like it once did which I like. One spell probably isn't going to decide the outcome of the game.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm

nathanr wrote: Magic doesn't dominate like it once did which I like.  One spell probably isn't going to decide the outcome of the game.

I like this as well. I do however feel like they may have toned it down too much. One thing I would like to see is maybe casters having some magic spells they can use in CC, Maybe like a d3 hits s4 spell or a high strength attack that hits one model in base contact, something along those lines. All in all I think it is an improvement over the old.

I do miss the race specific lores as well, not really sure why they felt the need to eliminate them. The one goblin shaman lore that works from what I have seen is the one that has the bubble 6" "gains distracting" spell, really effective for tarpitting when combined with net cave goblins, or any goblins really.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:17 pm

The race-specific lores were mostly just a collection of different spells from the core lores anyway with different names and descriptions.

One of the blessings for the Empire does damage to enemy units in base contact. I agree that there should be more of that.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Yeah the Ork / Goblin lore fit well. Blessing of The Spider Mother or w/e it was gave Poison. At em lads re roll failed to hits. OI no DYIN gives a ward save. Great names and effects that actually helped the army.

Its choosing the right lore for my goblin that i'm having a hard time with. Pyro is meh, just doesnt feel like it does what its suppose to anymore.

how do you guys feel about Witchcraft / Thaumaturgy for Gobbos?

Totemic Beast eh? See i always opt out of that spell. Just not a fan, i prefer magic that buffs the points i have on the field already as opposed to one spell that should sway the outcome by itself on a per turn bases... idk if that made sense.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Totemic beast is a great spell. You essentially get a chaos spawn ambushing from a table edge.

Witchcraft is a perfect lore for goblins.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 pm

Ok... I'm not gonna lie i didnt really read the totem spell... i read that it was called "something something" Beast and that it had alot of words so i just ASSUMED it was that stupid turn into a dragon spell and just opted out of it. haha reading spells helps!

You like Witchcraft? Why i gotta ask?

Meh to the Movement increasers and decreasers

Ok distracting is nice if you can get that one

again magic moving = meh

half shooting range again meh, shooting doesnt hurt that much

Ok... granting random movement could really annoy something like warmachines? could you target them?

Stupidity test with armies usually having decent leadership / bsb's doesnt seem useful even if it remains in play

Wheel Turns is helpful ... er wait... its a hex so u gotta cast it on your opponents dudes? Seems risky / situational. Yeah elves hitting on 4's suck but that means the str 3 elves also get to wound on 4's ...

Maybe i'm just being tooo picky, i guess that lore doesnt seem to bad, i just keep looking for decent buff spells and am not finding more then 1 per lore usually. Am i being to picky ?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:05 pm

You've got to think about the tools that Witchcraft gives you.

0: -3 movement - great for outmanouvering your opponent.  Give yourself an extra turn before they hit you or slow down something that is trying to get away.

1: Distracting and hard target is a great combo, especially for units with weaker stat lines like goblins.

2: FLYING magical move, get your unit onto the other side of impassible terrain or even over another unit.

3: Are you kidding me?  Half range?  avoid getting shot for a turn.  This can be a big deal.

4: Random movement 2D6 is very useful.  Either put one of your opponents' units out of position, stop a charge or cast it on your own unit to ensure that they can't flee from a charge or stand and shoot. (notice that it is universal so can be cast on friend or foe).  I'm curious, could this even be used to move your unit sideways or backward into combat?

5: Stupidity.  Very useful, especially with the -1Ld for every character in the unit.

6: Make your goblins more survivable, especially against high strength, high WS and lightning reflexes. S3 elves were going to wound your goblins on 4's anyway.

The path is just full of dirty tricks that seem fairly insignificant when you read them but can have some pretty great effects if used well.  Plus all the spells are cheap casting value, most are castable with 2 dice.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm

I Much prefer the new magic system.

Nothing seems to be too overpowering, games are certainly not decided now by the casting of a single spell....which was just purely dumb. I like that most casters are limited to just a few lores, I always found it annoying when players would take lores that were not specific to their army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top