Orcs and Goblins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orcs and Goblins

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 am

Here's an idea I've had kicking around for a long time. A nascar-themed orcs and goblins list.

General:
Orc Shaman mounted in a boar chariot. Make him the pace car or maybe like Immortan Joe from Mad Max.

BSB:
Orc mounted in a boar chariot. His banner will be the checkered flag.

Core:
60 Cave Goblins with 3 fanatics - modelled as the grandstands with the fanatics being cheerleaders or something
60 Cave Goblins with 3 fanatics

Special:
Boar Chariot
Boar Chariot
Boar Chariot
3 Wolf Chariots
3 Wolf Chariots
3 Wolf Chariots
Pump Wagon
Pump Wagon
Pump Wagon

The wolf chariots would be modelled to be crashing spectacularly into each other. All chariots to have numbers and different orcy paint jobs

Giant
Giant
Giant
- these guys are the hard-core fans. Mullets, beers, Nascar jackets.

This will probably never happen but it is fun to think about. Is it even an effective army though? With 17 chariots on the table I'm bound to get some decent impact hits at least and the giants will do some damage if nothing else. I've got 2 big blocks of infantry who's 6 fanatics will add to the carnage. Decent magic but he's alone in a chariot so a prime target for shooting/magic. No shooting is a problem but not that big of a problem as I'm going to be advancing across the table and looking to get into close combat quickly anyway.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Orcs and Goblins

Post  Kal on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:44 am

Honestly. I dont like the Theme or the List

the Theme is meh, i mean yeah chariots are technically "cars" i guess... but like why else are you going Nascar? Just because? I also hate nascar so that could be part of it tbh. Plus you need 43 "Cars"/ Chariots for it to be a legal Nascar race Wink just saying. I like the Giants, but again id like real well done up fantasy giants better. The Goblins being in the stands are cool.

Do you even like Nascar Nathan? or are you just doing this for the sake of a cool idea? I'd be worried about losing steam half way through.

As for the list, why not shove a goblin caster in each unit as a guy with a megaphone or something that is pumping the crowd up? Or a staff of beer cans lol.

The pump wagons are fun but there is alot of Run amok stuff in the army as is. or maybe there isnt... ha (unhelpful Sean)

Anyways I'm certain if you push forward with this idea you will do an awesome job executing it, so i'm not criticizing that. Just not in love with the Theme and think that the list could be alot funner for you to play. more variety. Not just "YAY more chariots". but then again i am speaking to a Bret player. so an army that is ALL one unit type is par for the course for you lol.

*just my 5 cents
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:04 am

Counterpoint:

This sounds awesome because this is exactly what the hobby is sbout - being inspired and having fun.

Now, we just have to tweak the list to make it more effective while keeping the theme. I'm the undisputed KING of starting armies over a theme and not finishing it. If you're a big NASCAR fan, then definitely go forward. This is definitely a win big/lose big list.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:21 am

I am definitely NOT a fan of Nascar and that's why I think it fits the Orcs and Goblins army. They are goofy, and I think if greenskin culture came up with a sport it would be Nascar. I've always seen O&G as the epitome of the dumb redneck stereotype.

It would definitely be a tongue-in-cheek take on the theme. I would fully expect everyone to break all ties with me immediately if I attempted to make a serious Nascar-themed army. Less Daytona 500 and more Talladega Nights.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

Oh, I know where you're going with this, and O&G is the only army you could pull this off with. You understand if you get an o&g army, then I'm the only one without an o&g army - and I can't have that. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 am

Orcs and goblins and Empire are the two armies that are left in my "someday" list. The problem I have with Orcs&Gobs is that every list I make ends up being a themed list. I can't make just a regular orc and goblin army. Even if I set out to do it I ultimately end up going extremely one way or another. ALL SQUIGS! or ALL SPIDERS! or ALL WOLVES! or SAVAGE ORCS! or now its all chariots.

While the themed lists are fun to plan and build and paint, they end up being gimmicky and generally aren't fun to play long-term. I think if I actually decided to make another army it would be a fairly generic Empire army and rather than making it themed, I'd just spring for the forgeworld upgrade kits and cool models from other miniature companies and really spend some time in assembly putting the units together in dynamic ways. I'm exhausted just typing that though.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 pm

I hate gimmick non fantasy armies.

f'reals.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:00 pm

It would still be fantasy. Think Blood Bowl but Nascar. Goofy fantasy. These guys have turned chariot warfare into a spectator sport.

Unfortunately I think it would be fun to play once or maybe one tournament and then it would get shelved.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

it's a non fantasy gimmick. Orcs and mullets etc.

Don't try to church it up none with me! I get it, I just hate the shit out of it.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:07 pm

ScottRadom wrote:it's a non fantasy gimmick.  Orcs and mullets etc.

Don't try to church it up none with me!  I get it, I just hate the shit out of it.

You just hate it because you're still bitter about the goblin dark elf army. I think it's a crappy thing to crush the idea.

I'm super duper into themed armies provided everything is instantly recognizable as what it's intended to be. This army would certainly fit that criteria. What a boring frickin hobby where every nurgle army looks like every other one for the last 20+ years.

You don't like conversions? Where does a conversion go to far? To be fair, if I was ever paired up against the guy that made the "my little pony" bretonnian army I would have conceded the game and made the organizer know he fucked up. And I would let him know all day long.

Nathan, do the empire army I offered - it'd be way cooler. Very Happy.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Monty Python themed Brett 's? Gimmicky. Hate it.

Nurgle armies should be instantly and readily ide tified as such. If yoy didn't want to paint a nurgle army then don't play nurgle.

Course now that the old world is dead I may not have a leg to stand on. it bothered me when people would look at a rich complex world such as gw gave us and decided to "do their own tale on things". Like a goblin dark elf army or even worse a Nascar orc army.

Like when people hey Scott let's make you a steak! And I'm like aight. Then they bring me a piece of beef covered in strawberry jam topped with fennel pollen. Sure it may technically be a steak and I appreciate that it was a lot of time and expense on your behalf but on the other hand, fuck you.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:35 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Monty Python themed Brett 's?  Gimmicky.  Hate it..

OMG were they all carrying coconuts ?!?! Love it ! Was there a knight that said Ni? Love it some more, DID THEY HAVE A SHRUBBERY!?! LOVE IT!

See this is why we can never be friends Scott.

But seriously can i have pics? because i want to do this now... omg i'll turn someone into a newt!! and they WONT GET BETTER!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:37 pm

I think that the NASCAR idea is at least 80% more thematic with the Old World as GW intended it than a My Little Pony Bret army. The precedent for bloody sporting events is there with Blood Bowl.

Because you are so outspoken against the idea I'm also 80% more likely to do it Scott.

That said, I did make a pretty sweet Orc and Goblin list that isn't really themed. It has no goblins but the boar riders could be swapped for a unit of gobbos.

General:
Feral Orc General
Feral Orc BSB
Common Orc Shaman

Core:
Big block of Feral Orcs with additional hand weapons
5 boar riders
5 boar riders
5 boar riders

Special:
Big block of Iron Orcs with that mean banner that negates magic items
Mangler Squigs
Mangler Squigs

Git launcher with orc bully
Git launcher with orc bully
bolt thrower
bolt thrower
bolt thrower

3 giants
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:51 pm

blood bowl is NOT part of the warhammer world fyi.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:54 pm

This looks more like an O&G List. The bolt throwers are only going to hit 1/3 of the time. so out of the 3 of them your only getting 6 shots total if they survive and have targets to shoot at all game. Idk i was underwhelmed even for the point value.

at INI 2 the boar riders will almost certainly die before they ever swing at anything. I'm learning this from experience. You either need a back rank on em or something. Plus only Light Lances so str 5 only on the charge.

I never touched Manglers or Iron Orks yet, Do the iron dudes still only have 1 attack?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 pm

ScottRadom wrote:blood bowl is NOT part of the warhammer world fyi.

He is correct

"With the advent of the 3rd edition, Blood Bowl moved closer to the traditional Warhammer Fantasy Battle world by changing the miniatures to look more similar to their Warhammer Fantasy Battle counterparts. Jervis Johnson, designer of the game, has admitted this was not the best direction for the game, and has since stated that the Blood Bowl world is similar to, but definitely not the same as, the Warhammer world.[3] Recent changes to the rules reflect this, and newer miniatures for the game look more sporty in nature."
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:33 pm

At 90 points a pop I'm happy if they hit anything. If one does hit something it is almost guaranteed to make its points back. The threat of them is worth taking them I think. The git launchers are the real threat.

The boar riders will wreck light cavalry and things on the outsides of the main combats or thrown in on the flanks of main combats they should perform adequately. They're there to give me some mobility or to finish off things that the mangler squigs hit. S5 on the charge is fine.

The 2 combat blocks are the real threat and the heart of this army. I think there are enough other scary things in the army to ensure that they make it to combat without taking too many casualties. 3 giants and 2 manglers means that my opponent can't afford to focus all his shooting and magic into one big unit of orcs.

I didn't know Blood Bowl wasn't in the Warhammer world. Hmm, learn something new every day. Good thing because the warhammer world doesn't exist anymore.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:43 pm

The warhammer world is dead and buried. Doesn't mean you have to piss on the grave Nathan. Nascar indeed...

Boom! Got him!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:20 pm

You got me good.

It was a good discussion though, I'll put that idea back on the shelf for now but someday you will see a sweet NASCAR themed orc and goblin army and think to yourself "damn, that does look good. Nathan was right and I was wrong".
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:27 pm

You'll never get me! Not so long as I'm convinced it's supposed to be a warhammer army. I have nothing against blue orcs, but not in warhammer brother!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top