Dwarf Dragon Slayer

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dwarf Dragon Slayer

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Truth. Dwarfs haven't been one of the good armies for a long time. It's time to make dwarfs great again!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:43 pm

nathanr wrote:Truth.  Dwarfs haven't been one of the good armies for a long time.  It's time to make dwarfs great again!

Aw Christ, Scott. Look what you did. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:12 am

For those pessimists who view the dwarf army 'half full' maybe its time to get a shorter glass- dwarf humor
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:48 am

I just want to point this out, about under costed character fighting monsters way above their point level.

Don almost lost and totally could have lost a 1000+ Point bloodthirster to a 300- point Goblin King that actually stood toe to toe with him for a full challenge and actually walked away with 2/3 wounds after the million of attacks and stomps the Thirster threw at him. If the combat went on there is a good chance the Goblin King could have WON! Especially if i actually remembered all the rules / buffs he was suppose to have (which i didnt remember) The Goblin King actually landed the same amount of wounds as the thirster did (minus stomps) but Dons dice loved him more on the Saves.

But it was just badass to see my Lone Goblin King charge out of his bunker of 40 Goblins to charge the flank of the Bloodthirster, RAWR! Anyways dont count out the little guy Wink
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 am

Different scenario there but sure, everyone loves an underdog story.

With the dragon seeker most monsters are going to be the underdog and that's what is getting people up in arms. People hate to see their bad-ass monster get put down by a short bearded ginger. What they don't think about is that because you put that one 20mm base on the table you couldn't spend 450 points in other, potentially more useful things on the table. You could have a whole unit or several war machines for that kind of points.

Instead that character is going to be deployed in a highly visible, slow moving unit that is going to try to catch your faster moving monster. If he does manage to do it it'll take him 2-3 turns to get there. After the monster is dead it will take another turn to get back into position so maybe that character will see 2 combats in the game if he is lucky. More likely he'll be avoided or get forced into combat with nothing units all game or get shot/magicked off the table. That's why you don't see dwarf players taking seekers.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19 am

Totally get that, i'm just saying that imo the seeker is bad news but its not the only bad news, the goblin could have been nastier too but i was keeping him cost effective. He was as follows:

WS 10, STR 6, Tough 4, Ini 6, att 5, and he stole the armour/ward save of whoever he was fighting. He still had like 50 points he could have spent on Magical Armour too. OHHH and he could have ridden an aracharok into battle, something a dwarf can never do Wink (ride something haha)

And my slayers usually had a naked seeker in them, for funsies, just saying Razz but whenever i fought Brian all that unit did was get kited around by Skinks who were blowing poison darts into their little orange asses lol very rarely did their stubby legs get to fight a monster they wanted to fight.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Kal wrote:Totally get that, i'm just saying that imo the seeker is bad news but its not the only bad news, the goblin could have been nastier too but i was keeping him cost effective. He was as follows:

WS 10, STR 6, Tough 4, Ini 6, att 5, and he stole the armour/ward save of whoever he was fighting. He still had like 50 points he could have spent on Magical Armour too. OHHH and he could have ridden an aracharok into battle, something a dwarf can never do Wink (ride something haha)

And my slayers usually had a naked seeker in them, for funsies, just saying Razz but whenever i fought Brian all that unit did was get kited around by Skinks who were blowing poison darts into their little orange asses lol very rarely did their stubby legs get to fight a monster they wanted to fight.

Where's the strength 6, init 6 come from?

And, to be fair, I was impressed with the little gobbo, but wasn't too worried. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Sorry Potion of Strength and Fencers Blades count as paired weapons, so +1 ini and +1 attacks

Ha i knew you werent afraid if you were Khorne would be ashamed lol. And obviously most times a Bloodthirster is gonna have squishy goblin between his toes after that fight. BUT for 1/3 of the points if i can hold out for a turn or two while he gets back up from another unit then i am ok! Or even better if his 39 other goblin buddies backed him up thats Ranks, Banner and your stuck in a challenge with the Goblin King, maybe just MAYBE i can pop u with combat res Wink

Next time my Goblin King will have you HEAD!

Swear i'm just gonna make him the general... infact fuck Orks GOBLINS FOR DAY!

I'm just waiting for the look on a Dwarf King's face with a 1+/4+ save when i steal that save from him! muahhaha
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Wait, are you playing Fantasy again Sean?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:03 pm

nathanr wrote:Wait, are you playing Fantasy again Sean?

Sort of.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm

I wouldnt say "back" i was bribed with very yummy food and we didnt even make it past turn 3 lol. I had literal dust on my models, ha so much infact it changed the paint scheme of the army lol.

The Dusty Cloak Tribe ! New army name
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 am

So, I've been making Dwarf lists so I can better understand these short dudes and I've noticed (already knew) a couple things:

- By far the most customizable army in Warhammer in regards to unit options. They have access to pretty much anything they want and you can spend more time tweaking a Dwarf list than any other and it can actually be confusing. Daemons may be second simply because you have 4 types of Daemons you can mix and match.

- Holy cow my lists barely have anything in them! Once you point out all the goodies, there isn't much on the table. The stuff that's there is really good, but you have to protect it.

- Understanding is the first step to acceptance ( Wink ) and I'm starting to accept them into my world.

Progress!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 am

I can lend you some models and we can have a dwarven civil war
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 am

I think Empire and Orcs and Goblins both have more options and in the case of Empire, more confusing options. That said, you can choose from a pretty wide variety for dwarfs too. I guess the difference as you pointed out is that with Empire or Greenskins you have the ability to put most of those things on the table whereas with dwarfs you have to make some hard decisions.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:16 pm

I think Empire and Orcs and Goblins both have more options and in the case of Empire, more confusing options.

I honestly, and respectfully disagree.  The available options to Dwarf characters, Dwarf units and simply all the different kinds of Dwarfs is staggering - and I mean this as a compliment.  I appreciate the army much more than before and I'm trying to understand it better so I can identify each unit and stop being so frustrated (and jealous) of the Dwarf army.  I kind of like them now. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:52 pm

There are 6 different types of character for the Empire, add all the different mounts that each can take and the different abilities that each grants to units or the army as a whole and you've got a ton of options.

Orcs and goblins have 17 different character options.

I agree that with dwarfs you can make pretty much any type of character you want though. The rune system adds all kinds of diversity. Add in the wildly different infantry options and war machines and you do have a lot of choice. They aren't as boring or one-dimensional as some would have you believe.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:37 pm

nathanr wrote:There are 6 different types of character for the Empire, add all the different mounts that each can take and the different abilities that each grants to units or the army as a whole and you've got a ton of options.

Orcs and goblins have 17 different character options.

I agree that with dwarfs you can make pretty much any type of character you want though.  The rune system adds all kinds of diversity.  Add in the wildly different infantry options and war machines and you do have a lot of choice.  They aren't as boring or one-dimensional as some would have you believe.

I was trying to point out the insane level of character customization, which is pretty cool. Go easy, I'm on your side now.

And your last paragraphs basically confirms what I was trying to say. Cool

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm agreeing with you but also saying that I find some other armies (empire) more confusing for choice. Maybe it's because I've had dwarfs since 1999 and the choices haven't changed much in all those years (other than these new-fangled hold guardians).
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:58 pm

nathanr wrote:I'm agreeing with you but also saying that I find some other armies (empire) more confusing for choice.  Maybe it's because I've had dwarfs since 1999 and the choices haven't changed much in all those years (other than these new-fangled hold guardians).

That's interesting. I've always found Dwarfs the most confusing army as on the table every unit looks exactly like every other unit to my ignorant eye. I decided to go over the army rules a few times to be able to differentiate as I'm constantly flummoxed by Dwarfs - and then realized I'm blaming the army (mostly) because I don't pay attention to what they can do. The by product of this is now they seem like a cool army, which I never thought I'd say.

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Runes are really the thing that makes Dwarf characters so versatile. Combining them in different ways you can make almost any type of character you want.

Vampires are still the character Kings/Queens though, Vampiric powers, wizards, magic items, mounts, they really DO have it all.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top