Dwarf Dragon Slayer

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dwarf Dragon Slayer

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 pm

Just had a look at the rules for a dwarf dragon slayer and this guy is a beast! 5 attacks base, then he can have an ability that gives him +1 attack for each enemy model in base contact. He can take paired weapons which can have runes added. So if he were in base contact with 3 models he'd have 9 attacks! Toss in an extra attack rune, an extra strength and maybe the rune that turns wounds into D3 wounds and you have 10 attacks at S6. Holy crap.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dwarf Dragon Slayer

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Yes but kited out like that he costs 450pts plus you need to put him in a unit or he will get shot up every time before he swings once.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 pm

My bretonnian lord is 600 points, 450 isn't that much for what you're getting. Plus he vanguards! Slayer units are really just a delivery system for this guy.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:18 am

Can't you just bonk him first? No armor saves and shit initiative won't he just get laid out like a j-brone?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:27 pm

He's got I6! and he's WS7 and T5. He has a 6+ward save and 3 wounds too so he's going to take a concentrated effort to take him down...

True, at the end of the day he is just a naked dwarf so your best bet is to kill him quickly before he gets a chance to swing those big axes of his.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Init 6, with a ward save and T5. Should ensure he survives to get at least one round of attacks in. It'd be fun anyway!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Sounds ridiculous to me. When did dwarf characters get s5? Is there anything about the character that would make them hard to use? Like are dwarf slayers utter crap or something?

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:09 am

Sounds ridiculous to me

I love this guy. It's the init 6 that gets me.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:32 am

I think Scott has it right, he'll get one swing before he gets killed.  He only has 3 wounds and fully kitted out he is 450 points.  Of course that one swing will hurt, especially if he charges (which gives him another +1S).  10 S7 lethal strike (did I mention that he has that?) attacks will hurt.  He's I5 but paired weapons give him that extra +1I.  I think they've boosted him way over the top because nobody takes a dragon slayer.  He's got "not a leader" so you've got to spend even more points on a general and as Andre has found dwarfs need a BSB too so suddenly you're going to be bumping up against that character point limit, especially if you also want a runesmith.

Units of slayers aren't great either, they have S4 now which is nice but they are just as naked and aren't as good as some of the other choices that are available.  Really they are only useful as a delivery system for the character.  That said, I might have to try out a slayer-themed dwarf list.  2 units of slayers, each with a slayer character, A big unit of greybeards with great weapons, throwing axes and a dwarf king (kitted out as offensively as possible), a couple of gyrocopters and maybe a flame cannon.  Oh and a couple of vengeance seekers to round everything out.

Edit:

Runesmith - General
Thane - BSB
Dragon Slayer - fully kitted out
Dragon Slayer - fully kitted out

Core:
30 Greybeards
Shields, Great weapons, throwing axes
full command

10 Greybeards
Vanguard
Shields, great weapons, throwing axes
full command

Special:
25 Seekers
full command

25 Seekers
full command

Vengeance Seeker

Vengeance Seeker

Grudge Buster

Grudge Buster

/4998 points
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 am

this sounds like another thread on the power level of dwarfs.....don't get me started.

Actually you'll be surprised how powerful slayers are now, the extra death blow attack stacks up nicely.

One question I have are why you never see dwarf warriors in a dwarf army, was there some kind of clan genocide that they disappeared from the know world? Its a jab I know......

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:12 am

What's a seeker?

I do have to admit when I saw saw Andres army in the table I was surprised how small it was. Of course it looked that much smaller as most things in my TK army is on chariot bases. Very Happy
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Seeker is the new name for a Slayer.  A Vengeance Seeker is like the dwarf version of a goblin fanatic.  More focused and controllable though.  The character that the original post is about is called a Dragon Seeker.

I don't put dwarf clansmen in because I like to use Greybeards as core instead. That said, dwarf clansmen are nothing to sneeze at either. They have -1WS and -1S compared to greybeards but the units can be bigger and they can be armed with throwing axes too which is pretty cool.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Still seems like the overdid it with this character to me.

I feel like you will most likely get more than one combat, as t5 3w is not as easy to deal with as you might think. That said I would be surprised if you ever got more than 2.

The trick to this guy would be making sure he gets into combats that you want him to be in; for instance line him up across any multi wound model in your opponents army and watch him kill them, lots of them, too many of them probably. If you can think of any monster in the game that could survive one combat against a charging one of these I'd love to know, statistically not even a gargantula spider would, on average the dwarf would cause wounds = (10*.66)*0.66*2 ~ 8.7

He will most of the time kill any monster in one round of combat, before the monster gets a chance to attack.
Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:24 pm

I do have a list i am working on that has 2 units of greybeards with throwing axes (core) and 4 units of clans dwarfs all with throwing axes (also core) which leaves me about 1300 pts for characters. It would field roughly 200 models.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:58 pm

It's tough for me to like the new rando charge range. Back 'n aday A move of 3" sorta answered and raised eyebrows over a dwarf Stat line.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:26 pm

True. Although with M3 they aren't going to be pulling any switcharoos in the movement phase. Where they are deployed pretty much dictates where they are going to end up in the game.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:21 pm

ScottRadom wrote:It's tough for me to like the new rando charge range.  Back 'n aday A move of 3" sorta answered and raised eyebrows over a dwarf Stat line.

Shush you - those days are over. Sitting on your porch pining for the old days won't bring them back. Wink

I like the new charges (we've had this conversation many times) it's the same for everyone, adds suspense and proves we're playing a game with dice and not a sport where the "athletes" that are exceptional at judging distances win the games. Very Happy

Next!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Won't it? Isn't 9th age all about making serious and significant changes based on community feedback? If enough of us Warhammer libertarians vote for Johnson we can at least get him in the televised debates.

If I EVER get charged 10 inches by dwarf slayers you'll get an unprecedented level of "back in my day potato heads couldn't win this game".

It will be tremendous.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Dwarfs can charge up to 15" (3+12).  Dwarfs can reliably charge 10" (3+7) and can auto-successfully charge with a champion at 7" (3+4).  That isn't a big deal.

High Elf Cavalry can charge 21" (9+12) and reliably charge 18"* (9+9).  Their auto-success charge distance with a champion is 13" (9+4).  That is a big buffer zone.  It is still a game of inches and if you know your numbers you will still do better. I like the dice rolls for charges because it allows you to either take more risks in the hopes of big rewards or play it safe thus adding yet another layer of strategy, especially if you know your opponent.

* I'm considering 9 as the average roll for a swiftstride roll of 3 dice taking the best 2.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:15 pm

I personally hated the days when players (especially the nancy elves) would dance away from my charge angle. I do love the triple march move for dwarfs. Helps keep the dancing at a minimum
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Nathan A. puts it nicely into perspective. No character should ever be able to one shot a monster.

The movement of dwarfs brings up another problem I see in the book. Why the fuck to dwarfs get to triple march? I thought movement was supposed to be one of the dwarf weaknesses. I'm putting together a chaos dwarf army and if I ever triple march, my opponents have permission to punch me in the nuggets.

I posted this and then saw Andre's post........its called strength's and weaknesses of an army, Elves should be able to dance around dwarf units!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Nathan... you illustrate a point about movement and charge zones by displaying a buffer zone between Dwarf Infantry and Elven Cavalry.

Do I need to say anything else?

In related news there is a proven intelligence buffer between retarded persons and Theoretical physics professors.

Andre Elves should ALWAYS be able to dance away from dwarfs. That's what cowards DO.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Carson there should be no reason elves can dance and still shoot without suffering for movement when dwarven 'gunlines' their strength suffer a minus 2
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:22 pm

One is tall and fast, one is short and slow.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Well then there should be no way a nancy elf arm can draw a bow farther than black powder
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top