Jobber of the month, Nov '16

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jobber of the month, Nov '16

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:04 pm

After an insanely successful round one in October we can do this shit again!  Same rules as last time (look 'em up!).  I'll edit this post as other people enter up.

1. Scott
2. Andre
3. Nathan
4. Carson

Last edited by ScottRadom on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jobber of the month, Nov '16

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:08 pm

I don't know what I am going to paint up for a mini. I am heading to Carson's tonight where he has graciously agreed to introduce me to Ninth. He's even lending me an army. What a MENSCH!

After tonight hoping to get a feel and a buzz for building an army. Leaning towards a Chaos Nurgle themed force. I really wish I could incorporate demons and mortals into a single list as painting project if nothing else. If I had to choose now I'd probably do a mortal force with a heavy warrior infantry base to it. But we'll see after tonight. I do have a ton of lizards laying about but I don't know about that.

So I am in, hopefully I get bug enough that I can commit to at least a five man project. If not I'll pick a single mini to try something new on. Maybe OSL. Hopefully a small unit though.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:50 pm

I havent 100% decided but likely a vengenance seeker. Hold up is deciding what to do for swirling chains weapons. Thought maybe swirling ogre skulls.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm in.  I'm going to paint a Tau fire warrior (or maybe a team of 5).  If I fail I'll give someone a new blister pack.

Last edited by nathanr on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Who else is in?
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm in!

**edit** It'll be something from my Chaos Warrior army. Not sure what specifically...
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:53 am

I'm in.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 pm

I've almost finished assembling my Tau Fire Warriors. I assembled 5 as a strike team with the pulse carbines and 5 as a breacher team with whatever those guys use. I was really impressed with the kit and the way they went together. I feel like the plastic kit was better designed than most fantasy kits I've put together, perhaps because they have their top guys working on 40K? who knows. Now I just need to figure out what the best drone variants are so I can assemble them as well. I'm thinking the strike team will be the long-ish range support and I'll give them a missile turret while the breacher team will be the close range strike team with the drones. I have no idea if that's a good strategy or not but I'm just enjoying the experience of building something for the sake of the hobby, not necessarily with gaming in mind.

Thoughts for colour scheme? I'm thinking maybe light blue with white accents but I haven't done any test figures yet.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:30 pm

I look forward to seeing the Tau. I think they look better in light colours, so your idear sounds slick to me.

I'll be painting a Nurgle 25mm infantry mini. I need to start making my long slog to a painted Chaos Mortal list.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 pm

After a bit of looking online I might try a freehand urban camo pattern. I'll try to keep it light-ish in colour and maybe keep the light blues for the lenses and symbols.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 am

I will get into with a bannerman for my dwarf spearmen that I just converted. It will be an exercise to use the lovely metallic paints that Scott sent me, as well as come up with a suitable image for the banner itself.
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Awesome, I love freehand work

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:43 pm

This tau fire warrior is kicking my ass. I think it is because I'm painting it without a concrete plan in my brain. Just putting paint to figure and seeing what works (nothing) and what doesn't (everything). I'll post pictures tonight if I make some headway. Maybe I'll just focus on the bases tonight and take some time away from the model itself for a bit.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 pm

nathanr wrote:This tau fire warrior is kicking my ass.  I think it is because I'm painting it without a concrete plan in my brain.  Just putting paint to figure and seeing what works (nothing) and what doesn't (everything).  I'll post pictures tonight if I make some headway.  Maybe I'll just focus on the bases tonight and take some time away from the model itself for a bit.

You sound a little beaten up - post a pic and we'll inspire you!.....or make you feel like crap.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 pm

You're describing the crappiest of crap paint issues. Just moving the brush around a mini without a smile to be found. It sucks the long cock.

If you have no real vision for it I think it's maybe worth while to just power through. If anything I've found that putting a couple shitty hours into a mini really, really inspires me to paint the next one.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Not me. I literally felt that my model was turning out so poorly in a fit of rage i tossed it in the cleaning agent and primed up a different model. Sigh back to square one
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:29 am

I really don't feel that sentiment either, Scott. Having a frustrating time with a model doesn't motivate me to do more. Perhaps with the exception that the next model is going to be something entirely different.
In other news, I was inspired enough to put a few hours into my bannerman once I came back home yesterday. I have it nearly done aside from the banner image at this point.
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 am

My problem was trying something new that didnt turn out the way i wanted. I really thinned down my paint (for me but probably as thin as what others are used to). I found that it 'broke' the pigments. Is this a sign of old paint? Are people putting base paint down prior doing wash coats?
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm

I think I know what you mean Andre, I would block in the colours that you want for each part of the mini with your regular painting style and then use watered down paints to add the highlights and shadows. The important thing is having very little paint on your brush and just using it to tint the colours one way or the other.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks Nathan. I will start my new fug tonight and try to get my base paint down
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Also worth noting, you're going to be absolutely horrible at blending to start out. Everyone is!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Scott it wasnt so much the blending as i had just started that. It was more the muted washed out color i couldnt get on board with. I was painting an ogre so maybe the bigger surface area made it stick out more.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:05 pm

I can't visualize from your description what you were doing. I'll have to see in the hand.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:46 pm

My guess is that with the thinned down paint it wasn't giving him the coverage that he was used to. that's why I suggested a solid colour to start so he gets the initial coverage before trying something new.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:14 pm

When I am working with good and proper thinned paint it's between 5 and 10 layers to get coverage. Very little paint on the brush, I find the amount is right when it goes on the mini and it's applied thin enough it dries with maybe a little blowing on it or on it's own in a couple of seconds.

You absolutely can't apply thinned paint with the same volume in the brush as when you're using thick out of the bottle paint. It will, as you've found, just fly into the recesses.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top