Profanity laden rant about people on painting forums...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Profanity laden rant about people on painting forums...

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Just a vent thing. Hopefully this gets some shit off my chest and I can quit yelling at my wife about this. 'Cause she could really give a flying fuck.

So I went back and checked out the Cool Mini or not forums earlier in the month. Hadn't really poked my head in there for a good long while and thought I'd see what's going on. CMON will always hold a special place in my heart 'cause really back when it's the place I first dipped my toe into the painting community and got heaps of valuable feedback and tips which turned me from a strictly tabletop guy to a much better painter. I asked for tips and crits and GOT them from the vey best on the planet. True industry giants were willing to give me tips! I'd listen and was always surprised as they'd seem a little shocked that I'd follow their guidance and apply it. Then they'd give me more and so on...

So anyways I check out a thread. I won't bother linking to it 'cause it's really not a rare thing. A dude posts some questions about how to get better at painting AND a valuable thing states what end result he's getting now he doesn't like. Paint pooling where it shouldn't, blending isn't smooth etc.

Homeboy gets some tips. Generic thin your paint, make sure there isn't too much on the brush etc. Good basic stuff. Homeboy reacts and kind of says "Yeah guys I know, let's get that next level 411 shit so I can go out and win me some Golden Demons!" He hasn't posted pic one at this point. So after a couple users urge him to post a pic he throws one up. Now I'll say this, it's a step over beginner. It's painted "in the lines" and it's not messy. It's got paint applied over other layers in an attempt at adding some highlights in layers but they're not thinned down or mixed at all. No transition. It's like looking at 8 bit pixel art. This isn't a crit, it's probably a step up from where I was when I asked for tips.

He get's some pointed, very well worded and non harsh critiques aimed at encouraging him and outlining where and what he needs to work on. With link to appropriate mini's for illustration and how to articles.

THIS FUCKING GUY FIRES BACK POINT BY POINT AT THE DUDE WHO POSTS THESE THINGS!!!!! He slams a guy trying to help him out (Multiple award winner, posts as MAXXxxx on CMON) and basically says "The mini I painted took 25hrs to paint and it's very, very good! Thank you very much internet, goodbye!!!

How do these people and people in general not apply any semblance of self critical evaluation to their work?!?!? This isn't a knock on people who love painting a quick and awesome looking army, that's its own thing and everybody needs to have fun doing fun things for their hobby to be fun. With painting in general I see this happen all the fucking time. "Hey, check out my shit, pretty dope hunh?" If someone throws in some unsolicited criticism -as I've often done- then maybe you might get some blow back. Some people just like showing off and aren't interested in your opinions. I don't get it but fine. Does this shit happen in other areas of life?

I'm horribly out of shape. I look like shit. I hurt myself playing X-Com 2 for too long last week. If I walked into a gym and just started fiddle fucking around and then yelled out "Man! I don't get why I don't look like a greek god! Something must be wrong with these weights. Or the mirrors are fucked. What's the deal!" I would be a total asshole. If some Ripped god of a man or buff chick took the time to walk over and say "Actually you're wasting your time doing that, let me show you some better technique." that would be super. In the painting community I see roughly HALF THE FUCKING TIME someone shit all over these people and say "What do you know about lifting bro!?!?!? I'm doing everything awesome and I am also awesome!"

Another thing that kills me... If I stood next to the Rock and said "Man, we pretty much look the same." it would be an awesome joke. Some of these people think their figs are on the same level with people who are just head and shoulders past them. It's comical, until you realize they actually feel that way.

Is self awareness just falling by the wayside nowadays? I feel it most in the painting side of the hobby but certainly feel it elsewhere. I think it's important for people who've tried really hard and accomplished something personal to be proud of that accomplishment. Your pride in your personal best shouldn't keep you from getting the tools and training you need to keep going. Maybe I'm just getting crankier but it's been in my head for more than a week.

I do feel better now.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Profanity laden rant about people on painting forums...

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:35 am

I can see from both sides of this maybe.  I remember my first venture out into the wider warhammer world.  I came to my first tournament with a warhammer record well above .500 (against my brother) thinking I was hot shit.  I lost every game, badly.  I didn't understand what had happened.  That tournament opened my eyes to painting too.  Before that I had no outside source for reference (I hadn't even thought about using the internet for warhammer information yet) and I thought that my painting skills were good, great even.  I left that tournament very humbled.

I didn't take the losses or the fact that I was decidedly average at painting very well at the time but I did take something away from that night.  I realized that to get better I needed to broaden my horizons both in opponents and in painting.  I think I've improved in both areas since then.  However, if I were like the guy Scott is describing I would have gone back home, continued to play against my brother, eventually lost interest in the hobby and quit.  Unfortunately, it seems like there are a lot of people like that.  Maybe it's a personality thing.  Maybe this hobby tends to attract more of that type of people?  who knows.  It's like the people that go on American Idol that think they are fantastic singers and even when they flop and should be embarrassed they storm out of there still thinking they are fantastic and the judges don't know shit about music.

I think in this particular case the person in question has likely reached the peak of where they will get with painting. It takes a concentrated effort to move past that point and there is a reason there are a select few master painters out there. Most people aren't willing to put in the effort that is required. I know I'm not. I peaked a while ago and I think I've regressed quite a bit since then because I can't be bothered to spend more than a couple hours on a mini. I settle for 'good enough'.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 am

We could simply chalk this up as 'forums are full of fuck-tards and choad warriors' and move on, but there are a couple observations that you put forward here. Firstly, many people ask for 'critisism' without knowing what that is. Most of them are just looking for the internet to blow ait up their asses and tell how great they are. As you know Scott, criticism can feel harsh at times, but is usually forces you to look at your own work from a different perspective. I do exactly this on a monthly basis via Google+ and YouTube. I get together with 2 other fellows to review submissions to a community called PMP (Painters Motivating Painters). We try to tailor our critisisms to the apparent level of the submission. i.e. we don't talk about wet blending to a guy who is just trying to get basecoats down accurately. The end result is that we usually see some measure of improvement from month to month, although there are some that go away quietly without submitting anything for a while.

To your other point about this dude's backlash, it must be that he just doesn't understand what he's asking for. He probably just wants encouragement instead of critical analysis. He has obviously gone about it incorrectly, as many do (the internet for encouragement?!?). Tomorrow, he'll probably ask for advice on quitting smoking, then slap anyone who tells him that smoking is bad. We can only help those who want to be helped.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 am

I confess my wife and i have been watching a show called skin wars (no this is not a bunch of neonazis raging against people of other nationalities). Its a reality competition between body painters. In both seasons there have been individuals self proclaiming to be gods gift to applying paint and you can see in their body language how upset they are at the judges desicions (yet they recognize the judges for their talent, opinion and experience in the craft). Then they go backstage and verbally bash the opponents who won the challenge. Glad to say none of them became the overall champ so maybe tbe universe doesnt reward the non humble.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Nathan the thing about this dude is he flat out ASKED people to help him get better and even pointed out specifics. If you had shown up at a tourney and asked people how to build a better army, would you have blown up if someone who was finishing at the top answered you?

Kieran, what's your YouTube channel? I'd like to have a listen.

Andre, I've seen some of those make up effects. Pretty cool.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:01 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Kieran, what's your YouTube channel?  I'd like to have a listen.

Mine is here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmAO-KjRHyB45KFmmjTc6sw
But the review I am speaking of happens on the channel of Vince Venturella. Look for the playlist titled PMP Monthly reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PhatWOP001/playlists

For those that want to join the PMP Community, go here... https://plus.google.com/communities/117252074374119760063

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Actually simply put, I believe a lot of people are not self aware. It seems on an almost daily basis that I see some "gift" to the world proclaiming their superiority. I largely blame it on the net......as we all know was in fact created by Al Gore.

Its a conspiracy I tell you.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Kieran! I checked out the PMP Sept. vid while I was painting tonight. Love it! I'm gonna hook up with the community right quick. Loved the dark elf sorceress on the fancy rock base! She's got skillz.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am

ScottRadom wrote:Kieran!  I checked out the PMP Sept. vid while I was painting tonight.  Love it!  I'm gonna hook up with the community right quick.  Loved the dark elf sorceress on the fancy rock base!  She's got skillz.

Thanks for that observation. I always hope that our ramblings provide good painting company, as you really only have to look up every minute or so to see what we're talking about. Mickey Jenver has been a blessing to that community. You would do yourself a favour by going back to see her rendition of the Glottkin (June or july I think).

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top