Jobber of the Month October '16

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jobber of the Month October '16

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:01 am

Here's the list.  Failure results in your penalty being given to the guy beneath you.  This thread is for pics and proof of finished work yo.

1. Scott Radom (Night Goblin) -FINISHED-
2. Carson Gallant (Dunno, something lame)
3. Don Matwe (A Demon I bet!) -FINISHED-
4. Kieran Dunleavy (Crazy Malifaux robot lion with Metal effects baby!) -FINISHED-
5. Nathan Rinholm (TBD Bitches!)

Last edited by ScottRadom on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

October Night Goblin

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 am

Okay so just another Night Goblin. For me what I worked on here was the way I painted this black. I started with a dark brown base and glazed the hell out of it to near black. Then worked it up with a warmer grey (touch of red in the mix) and finished it off with neutral or cool grey for the extreme edges. All the glazing to smooth the work out as I wen was done with a very dark red glaze. It may look exactly the same as any other black but I am pleased with it and will continue to work with this. I did a guard character recently and tried this out on it's hat and jacket a little and wanted to try it on a larger area. So I consider it a successful experiment.

The skin was a touch lighter then I usually go. I'll try even lighter next time. It's highlighted with a light yellowy flesh colour which I liked.

Good luck finishing to everyone but Nathan. I need that mini Nathan!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jobber of the Month October '16

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:21 am

I'm 80% done mine. I'm painting a ripperdactyl with skink rider. It is a departure from my normal painting because I have painted a grand total of one lizardman before so I'm not as familiar with the different parts and angles of the models. This one was also primed white to start which is completely foreign to me as I like to paint from black. I'm trying to make it fit in with Nathan M's colour scheme while still putting my own creative touches on it. There is a lot of blank space on the wings that screams for a freehand pattern or something so I'm trying to add a bit of that as well. Finally, I'm experimenting with different washes and seeing what I can do with them.

Is it ok if I don't do the base? I don't know how Nathan M wants to finish his bases so I don't want to do something elaborate just for him to have to remove and redo to match his army. I promise I'll do something more special next month, I've had a large-ish project waiting for my attention for a while.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:29 am

It's totally ok if you don't do the base. It's very charitable what you're doing of the Nathan M the deadbeat. Smile

That's a very nice goblin you did Scott! I have no doubt it was done in your sleep and when you woke up in the morning, holding your goblin (phrasing) you went "hey! I painted a goblin in 17 minutes last night while I was sleeping! I'm awesome!" It DOES look very nice but you can bang one of these out between deliveries.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 am

As a Karate Expert I allow the unfinished base to be overlooked for October's challenge.

I like the things you're giving a shot.  How you like the white primer?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:37 am

squalie wrote:It's totally ok if you don't do the base. It's very charitable what you're doing of the Nathan M the deadbeat. Smile

That's a very nice goblin you did Scott! I have no doubt it was done in your sleep and when you woke up in the morning, holding your goblin (phrasing) you went "hey! I painted a goblin in 17 minutes last night while I was sleeping! I'm awesome!" It DOES look very nice but you can bang one of these out between deliveries.

+1 for bringing back "Phrasing".

I'm off work until next Tuesday so I've been brushing stuff up. Since Golf season game to a sudden and predictable end.

Time on the goblin was probably around... I'm gonna try to lump it out here...

Base - 15min
Robe - 2hrs
Shield- 1hr
Flesh- 1 1/2hr
Spear and other stuff- 1hr

If I were to do another right away it would be half the time as a lot of that was going back and forth making corrections.

A normal mini for me nowadays is around 25hr. The blue robot I did was closer to 40 as there was a lot more bald surface area to blend on and that's the most difficult thing I find doing.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 pm

White primer is a lot less forgiving but it lends itself better to the washes. I'm not sure what brand of primer was used but it has a grittiness to it that I'm not sure I like.

And I like the goblin. The black looks deceivingly simple. It is one of those things that probably only you will ever know how much effort was put into it. My favorite part on the mini is the spear tip. You do it a lot and I have tried in vain to recreate that look many times. A unit of models with speartips painted like that would look amazing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:33 pm

The rent's too damn high!!

I'm just bustin ya about the Goblin, but I'm sure there's a comfort zone in that fig.

I was always a black primer fan - and still prefer it, but white is better in some instances and is much more unforgiving than black. I you miss some spots on a fig, black fills in the shadow for you. You can't get lazy with white primer as the area where 2 paint colours don't touch tends to stick out.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:27 pm

I predict my minni will be much better and in fact make scotts look like a pile of shit......guess I better get painting.

By the way, Scott, your going to photograph mine once its done. That's right oh yes it will be done.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:34 pm

I am nearly there with my little JOBBER. I am going to get back in there to sharpen a few metal ridges and add more verdigris in a few select places.

So, I get a free model when Don fails, right? Do I understand the order of this correctly?

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:45 pm

One thing i noticed that i really like is the shading of Scotts goblin arm near the robe...uhm phrasing

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Done-skis! I had a couple of attempts at the weathering on this. the first version was a fair bit too artificial looking. I washed it down again with some chestnut ink (yes, i still have some), then did a sharper highlight on the metal. Best get to work Don.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:32 am

looks well weathered, maybe some scratches or chipping on future attempts. cool beans.

The gem is especially well done.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:51 am

Agreed. I think they look really good and super job on the gem! Looks like a Scott gem. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:59 pm

Here's mine - you're welcome for the crappy picture. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Kieran- Nice stuff, good effect with the weathered look. I think the metal can be brought up lighter in spots all the way to metallic white. The edges and such. Nice stuff!

Don - Good look on a shitty fig. What a pile of dump. I am very hard to please with ANY fig that has sculpted flames unless it's going to be painted all OSL and shit. I would have cut the flames off and just done a brass rod painted black for the flying stuff. I think they're supposed to be flames anyway. Maybe water frothing or something like that. ugh. You've done good stuff with it though, and I like the freehand stripes across the loin cloth for a +1.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:27 pm

I've seen them painted as flames, but since they're the worst sculpted flames in the history of CAD flames, I just cheated and made it look more ethereal.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:00 am

ScottRadom wrote:Kieran- Nice stuff, good effect with the weathered look. I think the metal can be brought up lighter in spots all the way to metallic white. The edges and such. Nice stuff!

Agreed. I found another blend of metallic and did 2 more layer to sharpen the metallics. Then I spotted in some select spots of Verdigris. The photography against black background may not illustrate the difference though, so i may set up for pics again before sharing.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 am

Do you have access to Vallejo Air range? Awesome metals. Also the range from Scale 75 is awesome as well.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 am

Here's my entry. No free figure for you Scott!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:11 am

I really want to join in for next month but i need someone to instruct me on getting pics, crappy or not on to the forum. (seriously picture zoolander 1 of them trying to log on to the computer).

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 am

I can set you up Andre. download the photobucket app on your phone and I'll show you how to use it this weekend.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 am

Sounds good. Next month i will paint up a slayer character and put up either a Gorbad kit or if someone wants instead i have a white dwarf fig

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:26 am

I like that colour Nathan. That's the scheme I was going to do if I started Lizzie's and kinda pushed it on Nathan M.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:49 am

that just leaves me, almost done...

Nice work everyone

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down