Changing Combat res

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changing Combat res

Post  Nathan.A. on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 pm

What if combat winner was calculated only using wounds caused + charge + flank/rear bonus (and other attacky like things).

Then what if the losing side was able to add its rank bonus and standards/ warbanner/ bsb as a + to their leadership (other defensive like things).

Example: I charge in (+1) to a flank (+2), cause 15 wounds take 7 wounds (+Cool. Opponent is down by 11, they then add rank bonus (+5), banner (+1), bsb (+1), warbanner (+1)

Would a system like this help to stop the 1 round horde vs horde combats that are almost always decisive in one round of combat?

Would it be an improvement to the system as it is right now? I think it would since it would eliminate the need for the steadfast rule, which I think is silly and doesn't make sense to me.

Let's hear what everyone else thinks!

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Changing Combat res

Post  The Apothecary on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:03 am

Would you have a max on how much you could get from certain things?  Like.. if I have a horde of goblins 5 wide and lets say 12 deep, would I really get +12 to my leadership roll?

I also would be afraid of losing that +3 CR when playing my goblins as its often a make or break for me Razz I understand that yea goblins are not really meant to be much more than a road block, but tactically they wittle you down from range and then dogpile stuff to win. Taking away that +3 might mean that they are always JUUUUUST short (snicker snicker snicker) on CR to win a combat.

Interesting notion tho.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:59 am

I don't know why you'd want to change what is already there. I like it and I think that it works quite well. I agree that steadfast is annoying though. I don't like that a big unit can take overwhelming losses and just because it still has a full rank it sticks around. This is especially annoying when I'm using Wood Elves or Bretonnians because it isn't uncommon to win combat by double digits and still have the enemy unit stick around due to being steadfast. I feel like at a certain point there has to be a breaking point. Maybe if you win by 10 or more then steadfast tests are taken at half leadership.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:01 pm

steadfast can be annoying but there are ways to break it. Setting up flanking units with ranked units is game winning.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Thats what they call the

Flank, Rank and Spank rule of combat

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 pm

I understand there are ways to beat a steadfast unit, but it seems to me that kicking the shit out of it with something SHOULD work. I know the way things worked in 7th were bad, but if I send a unit of something in and it decimates a unit it shouldn't be steadfast just because it has one more rank than I do. The steadfast rule really seems like something they developed as a band-aid fix for infantry in 7th.

Also should a unit be able to win combat by doing less wounds than the other unit? Should the worst infantry you can think of beat the most bad-ass monster because it counts 5 or 6 to static res, and the monster only did 5 wounds?

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:04 pm

yes Very Happy

Infantry in older editions of the game died to pretty much anything. The designers came up with rules to make them competitive and put them back into the spotlight of an army. A role which they have always held in history.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:59 pm

If the monster only did 5 wounds to a big infantry unit it deserves to lose combat.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:34 am

nathanr wrote:If the monster only did 5 wounds to a big infantry unit it deserves to lose combat.

It should lose even though the enemy did 0 wounds? Even though the unit does NO damage it should "win" the combat? I don't mean to say that infantry should not be good, what I'm trying to express is the fact that things can win by simply being there, and doing nothing, and that doesn't make sense. I do NOT think that if that unit loses in my scenario it should face a high chance to flee, or even any chance, I just don't think the monster should have to take a break test because the other unit stood there too good, and it didn't do enough damage, even though it did damage... and they didn't.

I don't think that infantry should be anything like it was in 7th, those rules sucked. And compared to 7th I love the 8th/9th age rule system, all I want people to consider is the question: "Could it be better?" I think that it could be.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:02 am

What type of monster are you thinking of? Most have unbreakable or stubborn so they are sticking around in those combats also

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:56 am

Sounds like the op would love 40k.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm

BTW that comment wasn't a dig, CC in 40K is exclusively determined by wounds vs. wounds. Numbers, defensive situation etc. means nothing. One dude runs up and whacks you and kills a dude and you don't whack him back then the single mini wins combat and you gotta test.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:57 pm

The fact that people now play with units of infantry is fantastic, I've played hero hammer and it had it moment in the sun. Building a bad ass character should not win you game just because. They added steadfast to fix that issue and to deal with the 122 man chaos armies that were running around. Tweaking it may cause problems with that again, my worst army ever was 13 wraiths and a guy riding a zombie dragon that took 6's to hit in combat it was not pretty but within the rules... I for one am glad they made infantry more interesting and fun. The people worjing on the 9th age have been doing an excellent job modifying and play testing unlike GW.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top