Ridden Monsters in 9th Age

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ridden Monsters in 9th Age

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:06 pm

They suck, bad.

Reason: Everything done against the model, such as ranged and melee attacks are all done against the monster's weapon skill, and only the monster's armour save and/or ward saves may be taken. Saves owned by the riding character don't matter at all, and once the monster dies the character dies too.

They really need to rewrite these rules. I honestly though the way ridden monsters worked in 8th was good, maybe they'll go back to that.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ridden Monsters in 9th Age

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Ya, I agree. Not much reason to buy a cool centerpiece mount for your general.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 pm

For the amount of times that that a monster was without its ridden by the end of turn 2, I am on the other side of this argument. I think it's fine. You gain an extension to leadership range, an improved toughness, a more mobile platform, some terror, and thunderstomps. I suppose, having played fire phoenix in the past edition, I'm already familiar with the rider going down with the ship.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Mm, can't really say those "bonuses" outweigh the loss of armour and ward. It's a risky venture for sure and I doubt you'll see many lords on monsters. Kudo's to those that do though!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Honestly i think this is the way monsters have to be or they would get out of hand...

I mean i can put a goblin on a arachnarok with a 1+/4+ save... and the Arachnarok has 8 wounds at tough 6... anyone want to try and chomp through that save / 8 wounds? lol Would be TOOOO good,

On the other hand... TK Sphinx's SUCK. liek SUPER suck, 200 point upgrade on Tomb Kings only, and they got bumped down to Tough 6 instead of 8 and only get the 4+... so in that case yes Ridden Monsters suck... but thats why i wouldnt take one.

So theres gotta be somewhere in between, i dont want a Tough 6-8 monster with a 1+/4+ save but i also dont want my general to be naked with only the Monsters armour save ...

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Kal wrote: So theres gotta be somewhere in between, i dont want a Tough 6-8 monster with a 1+/4+ save but i also dont want my general to be naked with only the Monsters armour save ...

No one thinks that monsters should have the ward save of their rider. What I do think is that the old system of 1 model 2 parts with 2 wound profiles and randomized hits was much better than how it is now. I'm not at all mad about the monster not getting the riders ward save/armour save. I am mad about the rider not even getting his ward/armour save, and increased toughness is not such a big factor with Orcs, they're all t5 anyways.

Plus I also don't know why you'd prefer the new way even for elves, is t6 really better than lets say 3+4++ or better? The model as they are right now die at the same rate the monster died at in 8th, except the lord also dies at the same time. If anything they die faster, less total wounds and (usually) no ward saves, lower armour save, and in my case = toughness.

To me this is not logical, and that makes me salty. Rant over.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:06 pm

I feel like in 8th edition the monster was almost always riderless by the end of the game not the other way around.  This would indicate to me that this new method might not be so bad?

plus now that lord has WAY more points to spend on being killy instead of spending a bunch of points on armour and ward saves.

Anything that gives an immunity to poison is going to be an auto-include for the model.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:27 pm

I took a look at the undead dynasty book royal sphinx and it's a monstrous beast; you use the better of the armour saves, ward save and regeneration.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Fluff wise i liked the idea off rolling on the monster chart if the character died or being able to slay the monster and then still fight the character on foot. Now if i could put my scrapling character on the back of a giant that would just tickle me

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top