9th Age in Edmonton

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 9th Age in Edmonton

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 am

My dice rolled like a pile of garbage. 6 games in a row now. Why do we play this game. I'm taking my ball and going home!
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 am

I played my first game against a very manouverable Wood Elf army playing the avoidance game. When my knights finally did slam home they whiffed on their attacks and were chopped down by S3 attacks because I failed my 2+ armour saves. My Trebuchets were on point but so were his ward saves. 2 direct hits on a unit of wild riders managed to kill 2 models after he rolled all his 6+ armour/6+ ward saves. To add insult to injury, he was using dryads as proxies for wardancers and an unpainted unit of wardancers in a tournament that was supposed to be fully painted armies.

Second game I had well in hand, Questing knights and crusaders cut down a gorgon while my other knights managed to overrun into the flank of a minotaur unit. Unfortunately, elsewhere my peasant crusaders lost combat against his other minotaur unit by 1, and failed their stubborn break test by 1 pip of the dice. My opponent then made a very liberal interpretation of the combat reform rules to turn his flanked minotaurs to face the knights on their flank while his freed-up minotaur unit charged the flank of those same knights. The ensuing combat ended up as a draw but if I'd remained on his flank it would have been a victory for me by 5 or so. Both his minotaur units would have broken and fled, I would have run one of them down and probably overrun into something else of his. In the end it was a bad loss.

Last game was against Nathan M's Ogres. I managed a combo charge against a big block of ogres and completely wiped them out. Elsewhere on the table my crusaders ground up against his mournfangs and his ironhorn or whatever its called slammed my crusaders. It was a good fight with Nathan M taking the game in points but I took the secondary objective of having units in his deployment zone.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:35 am

1st game against an o&g guy. Super nice dude. Played 2 manglers 2 pump wagons 2 horded gobbos 2 units of archers with gnasher dashers behind 3 giants and a flank unit of gnashers.
Turn 1 i tried to pick off a lone gobbo champ on mount which absorbed way too much shooting. Turn 2 i started disassembling his manglers and pump wagons
Magic i rolled like a boss and had about 8 extra dice each phase.
I brought some miners on in front of an approaching archer/gnasher combo to find out both units of archers had fanatics...awesome
My hold guardian charged a giant which yelled and i failed a leadership 10 test and subsequently got charged off the table.
I had one coptor last 4 rounds of cc against a giant before a 2nd one came in and took 2 turns to kill.
In the end my opponent doubled my kill points
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:44 am

Game 2 it got worse. I suffered heavy losses to magic. Corrosion spell on an organ gun and lots of bow shots causing my engineers to flee off the back side. Plus my one unit of marksmen got transmuted to death. Failing leadership and rolling high to flee off the back.
My hold guardians wiffed angainst a treeman then got flank charged turn 3 to spell their doom. Also my grudgebuster miner combo bounced off a unit of pegasus knights?. Miners retreated from whence they came.
My other unit of marksmen got spelled and again failed leadership and rolled high to come off the back edge.
My coptors didnt fair well against eagles or mounted cav dying in both cases.
I was wiped off the board by turn 3. I had one phase of shooting rolling 24 dice needing 3s to hit and only 4 successful. Thats pretty much how this game went for dice rolling.
My opponent stared in disbelief while secretly chuckling. I laughed aloud and said thats the way she goes
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:50 am

Game 3 again against a really cool dude. 40k player that transitioned so there were no bys in 9th age.
Vc my dice rolled well in turn one but summoning essentially brought back all the wounds as i failed to kill a complete unit. I did devour a raise unit spell.
Turn 2 my dice f'd me again and i watched my flank crumble turn by turn as i couldnt hit, wound, save, rill break tests or flee distances. One unit of knights and vargheist wrecked my gunline.
My hold gusrdians faired well circling around and wrecking his center but in the end there was too much damage although it was alot closer than my 1st 2 games
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Here ya go crew, read 'em and weep!  Congrats to Geoff for being the highest ranked Horder!

I swear to God, I looked at our rankings and laughed until I had tears. Long live the Ravening Hordes team! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:07 pm

No one has anything to say? We can't take this too seriously, we're the rat pack!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 pm

so great. I didn't even realize I could get only 7 battle points. At least I beat those other 3 chumps with total victory points.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:54 pm

I wasn't there so I can't comment on the stellar performance of our crew. Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Hey Nathan! Dont worry buddy in terms of a Golf Score you did the best! bounce
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm

To be fair my first 2 games were against Matt Lau and Doug Lamb. I would have beat Doug Lamb if I hadn't let him cheat. Or maybe they did so well because they beat me so bad? I don't know. Matt Lau also had unpainted models and really bad proxies which is annoying.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:27 pm

How did he cheat?

Unpainted models were allowed eh? called it. Bad proxies as in? 4 ogres standing in for Bret Peasants ?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm

I even asked Ward about it and he said they weren't supposed to be allowed. Oh well. The proxies were dryads being used for wardancers. They were on the right size of base and had extra leaves so they looked different from other dryads but it was still pretty annoying. He also had an unpainted character and a unit of unpainted wardancers.

The second game my opponent did a combat reform after a unit of knights overran into the flank of his minotaurs. He figured that because they were in contact they should count as being in combat so they should be allowed to perform a combat reform before the combat happened in the next turn. He was in a tough spot and grasping for any way to get himself out of it. I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that explicitly said that he couldn't do it and he wasn't backing down on it so I finally just said whatever and let it happen. Would have wiped out his minotaurs and breaking out into his backfield but instead I got stopped and ground down by his infantry.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Well, at least we can do better next event!
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Hrm... not sure how i feel about this. The unpainted stuff i can sympathize with haha but the proxies. idk i have a hard spot in my head about proxies. Brian is king of proxies and i'm... not ... i dont like them. BUT that was my mindset when we were playing a GW game that we should buy GW figs. Hell tbh i count most alternative figs as "Proxies" such as Mantic armies... just feel wrong to me. But i also am using a Giant Warmahordes stone golem as a Great Green Idol and AOW Slayers and those feel like boarderline TOO much for me.

Anyways this all sounds like your fault for letting him get away with it. i mean if your gonna let your opponents cheat you should atleast get Best Sportsman Wink haha
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:40 pm

nathanr wrote: The second game my opponent did a combat reform after a unit of knights overran into the flank of his minotaurs.  He figured that because they were in contact they should count as being in combat so they should be allowed to perform a combat reform before the combat happened in the next turn.  

I'm having a hard time understanding this. He thought that in a turn where you merely overran into him, but no combat took place, he should get to reform them in the combat phase of your turn?

If this is the case, that guy is a complete ass-hat. Also in the rules it says a lot of things, here is the most appropriate from what I could find:

"Complete all actions in the Round of Combat Sequence of all units involved in the chosen combat before moving on to the next combat." pg 48.

And

"If a unit joins a Combat that has already been fought or was created during this Close Combat Phase, it will be resolved in the next Combat Phase (with the charging unit still counting as charging)." pg 56

This is enough to prove that dummy wrong yes?

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Yes, but in his reasoning the 2 units counted as being "in combat" as a charge had been successfully completed and they were in base to base contact. Therefore, in the combat reform section it says that at the end of the combat phase any units in combat can attempt to perform a combat reform. I told him that I was 100% sure that was not correct and I disagreed with it but I didn't care enough to fight him over it so I just said whatever and gave him a 0 for sportsmanship.

I'm over it, he even sought me out and messaged me on Facebook the next week to tell me that he had got it wrong so he is just a douche when his back is up against the wall and he's losing.

Last game was against Nathan M and it was basically a draw. A big swing was when Nathan M went to the bathroom and told me to roll my trebuchets while he was gone. I did and both ended up scattering directly on top of my general. He came back to me having to resolve 2 trebuchet hits on my general.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Well... Back in 6th edition that ladder would have looked a little differently for the Ravening Hordes...
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:46 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Well... Back in 6th edition that ladder would have looked a little differently for the Ravening Hordes...

The game must be harder now. All those hours spent in the back yard guessing distances has gone to waste....
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:35 am

nathanr wrote:Yes, but in his reasoning the 2 units counted as being "in combat" as a charge had been successfully completed and they were in base to base contact.  Therefore, in the combat reform section it says that at the end of the combat phase any units in combat can attempt to perform a combat reform.  I told him that I was 100% sure that was not correct and I disagreed with it but I didn't care enough to fight him over it so I just said whatever and gave him a 0 for sportsmanship.

I'm over it, he even sought me out and messaged me on Facebook the next week to tell me that he had got it wrong so he is just a douche when his back is up against the wall and he's losing.

I am glad to hear that he sought you out afterwards to admit his error. Still regrettable that it happened, but far from the only misreading of rules that happened on that day.
Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top