New League Reports - July 15th

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New League Reports - July 15th

Post  Mhael on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I have 2 games to report since Dom doesnt report games. One before onslaught and one after. I have nothing good to say about either. My dice hate me Dom gets an 18-2 victory and playing new list with new dice Dom gets a 20 0 victory. I need a pinch dice roller
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:42 am

Played a game with my Sylvan elves against Andre's Dwarfs last night. It was a very different Dwarf army from what I've come to expect from Andre with minimal shooting and some big scary blocks of elite dwarf infantry. What surprised me most about his army was the level of magic that the anvil can bring. I was scrambling to try to minimize the damage every turn. My big moment came about mid-game when I charged his deep watch with a treeman, treekin, my general on a great elk and my wild riders I was pretty close with everything except his unit had the rune of slowness adding 4" to what I needed to successfully charge. Everything but my general failed. Faced with a large group of angry dwarfs, he decided to challenge the biggest, most scary-looking one. I managed to roll 4 wounds which got past his armour but Andre rolled like a boss and saved all 4 with his ward save. The dwarf also failed to wound (must have been a bit rattled by the flurry of attacks that his magic armour had just saved him from) but the static combat resolution of the deep watch gave Andre enough to make my general break and run. He didn't go far though and the stumpy dwarf legs ran the elk into the ground, overrunning into my treekin.

Elsewhere his kingsguard got pincushioned by the concentrated shooting of my glade guard. By the time they got into combat they were down to a single rank. My dryads charged in and finished them off. My archers then concentrated their fire onto the deep watch and with the help of the tree fathers' strangleroot attacks they managed to kill the last of the deep watch, leaving only the characters. VIP's of the match were my archers for sure. They killed both the deep watch and the kingsguard. My dryads did well too, knocking off the last of the kingsguard with a dwarf king and then proceeding to kill the anvil and a unit of dwarf handgunners. Least useful were the wild hunters who failed to charge and then got charged themselves and died horribly on one side of the table and on the other they got shot to a single model who failed to charge and then got shot in the next turn. Andre's MVP were definitely his deep watch who smashed their way through my general and treekin and also put most of my army out of position through failed charges.

In the end it was a 11-9 victory for me.

If we had continued I think I would have taken it as he had 2 lone characters in a forest surrounded by archers and 2 treefathers on one side of the table and a unit of greybeards being harried by pathfinders, a totemic beast and a unit of dryads on the other side.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Played Carson this morning. It was a good fight and I thought it was going well. My Knights of Ryma wiped out a unit of chaos Knights on the charge leaving his chaos lord alone and testing on a 3 or less. Elsewhere my sword masters decimated a unit of chaos warriors, killing all but 3 models and his BSB who fled and didn't stop running. Unfortunately that was the end of my luck as his chaos lord held against my knights of Ryma. That set up a combo charge on my Knights, wiping them out. After that it was a straight up fight and the Warriors ended up on top. It was close though. Thanks for the game Carson!
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Just an FYI, the only way to score 20-0 is with secondary objectives in play. 17-3 is the max if played without.

After the game with Nathan, as mentioned above, I was wiped out by Andres Dwarfs. Did we have a thread earlier about how broken dwarfs are? I seem to recall something like that but I'm not sure. Rolling Eyes

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:07 pm

In my above games Dom did win secondary objectives. Also no i dont think dwarfs are broken, have ever been broken, or ever will be broken. Ha ha. After my six previous anhilations it was time the dwarfs got some back.
I also slaughtered Dons already dead tomb kings. Both Carson and Don extended a hand in turn 5 but we didnt actually tally points. Carson had killed my bsb but i was trodding his general off the table. Dons and my game would have been closer as he got my general and his unit.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 pm

One other game that happened on Saturday was Dwayne and his Empire taking on my Waargh! A green tide this game, not a Waargh! actually but that's a minor detail.

The game was a very back and forth one. Some notable happenings:

My chariots were completely useless, aside from one boar chariot which charged into a forest to kill some scouts; after wiping out said scouts he decided to overrun (not a great idea by me I admit) and killed himself. It is worth noting that had he not killed himself he would have ran right into Dwayne's war machines. The rest of my chariots bounced off everything they touched inflicting no wounds, on anything.

The main fight in the middle was where most of the action was happening. My iron orcs were beast again, a 29 man unit with BSB successfully routed a horde of halberdiers, causing them to break, but failing to run them down. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was my vanilla orc bus that won combat vs his warshrine causing it too flee, but also failing to run it down.

This failed pursuit did however bring me right into contact with his 40 man horde unit of greatswords, which are terrifying btw. No hatred for them that round, but 40 attacks at s6(with rerolls to wound) were too much and the orcs fell rank after rank. I lost the combat, but for the third time this game the pursuing unit (his greatswords) failed to run me down.

On his next turn he had a juicy charge into my iron orcs flank, which normally would scare me, except they're iron orcs. He won the combat but only managed to kill 4 orcs, being as I still had a BSB in the unit my orcs were easily able to pass on stubborn 9, then also successfully reformed to turn and face. This left his swordsmen unit with a rear exposed to my General's unit of cave goblins, who charged in, declared a green tide, and in 2 turns of fighting his unit was dead to a man, with only ~ 10 casualties suffered in each of my units.

This unfortunately is where I ran out of time (had an appointment with an escape room). The game was looking very good for me, but we called it a draw as it was my fault it had to end early.

Score: 10-10

Dwayne is in the league I believe, I am still not. I'll def be in the next one, I think I'm getting the hang of orcs in 9th.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:20 pm

had an appointment with an escape room
Good report, but that sentence intrigues me the most.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:30 pm

We have several companies that provide a group experience of solving puzzles in order to free yourselves from a room thematically designed
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:29 am

Sean and I had a game last night. His Undying Dynasties vs. my Daemonic Legion. Battle Line, no secondary.

Sean's list from memory:

Prince in 29 Tomb Guard
Heirophant in 29(?) archers
50 Skeletons, shield
4 Chariots
Warsphinx
Warsphinx
Dreadsphinx
Catapult
Casket

My List:

Scourge of Wrath
Harbinger Wrath BSB in 20 Bloodletters
Harbinger Lust in 31 Daemonettes
3 Crushers
5 Flesh hounds
3 Fiends
5 Seekers
5 Seekers
Soul Grinder

I charged early as I had vanguard and marching Seekers in his deployment zone turn 1. Wasn't long before we were in combat and it was early in the game when I lost my Thirster. His catapult bonked him on the head for 2 wounds. On my turn 2 when I charged the Casket with Seekers, it blew up and does a straight 12" bubble (didn't know this) and Sean rolled for all units - rolling 4 sixes on my Thirster, which I failed the saves and Indiana Jones spirits dragged my Thirster to the ground before combat with his Sphinx even started. Very Happy

My Fiends ate through his chariots and his Warshinx on the opposite flank made short work with my Charging Crushers. By turn 3, he was looking really good as I lost some of my better units and my Daemonettes were having a tough time killing Skeletons in the middle of the board. Seekers charged the Catapult and Archers, slowly scratching them back to dust. In the center of the table, My Bloodletters finally met his Guard and even though things looked good for me, the Guard ate all of my Bloodletters. Left standing was my Harbinger BSB by turn 6.

At the end of the game, some units terrain prevented some of Sean's army from charging and beaten up units were scattered everywhere. It was a cool game going back and forth. Truly thought I was in trouble, then winning, then in trouble, then winning - and the points showed it. When we shook hands Sean took 3380 From me and I stole 3923 from him making it a 12-8 win for the daemons.

Those Sphinx's are hella tough but combat rez is certainly their enemy.

I took first turn
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 am

Sean or Dwayne, what was your score on Saturday's game?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:31 pm

Carson wrote:Sean or Dwayne, what was your score on Saturday's game?

I believe it was like 2969 to 2335 so a 634 something difference. 12-8 with neither getting objective? Victory for me. Correct me if I'm wrong Dwayne, honestly dont quite 100% remember.

@ Don's game - Was a very bloody game, with both sides losing alot. The speed of the seekers is scary and the fact Warmachines get auto hit now meant they chomped them quickly. This game taught me alot for my list, already adjusting to include some re directors in hopes i wont continue to get flanked like i have in my last 3 games or if i do it will be later on in the game atleast. Don's got a solid list with no magic, i got super lucky with that Bloodthirster being taken down by the magical casket poof. Looking forward to a rematch soon Don! New 1.3 list is already ready.
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 pm

I've invested heavily in magic the last couple of games and it was largely a waste in points. I'm going to keep working it for awhile though. The nerf in magic might have been a little too much, not sure yet.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Played Nathan R today, Orcs and Goblins vs High Elves.

Some interesting happenings in this one.
Orcs took turn 1, positioned a bit, nothing major, a mangler squig accidentally wounded itself 2 time from moving into a woods, and would eventually kill itself trying to get out Crying or Very sad so sad. Turn 1 from the elves was more positioning, managed to put 2 wounds on a trolls with 12 bow attacks from long range(pretty impressive), nothing much else.

Turn 2 orcs saw my giant and cave trolls charge his big spear block, I lined the giant up against his bsb, hopping to do some real damage. I didn't, the giant was killed before he got to attack due to an ultra monster killy new spear item the bsb was carrying, scary. The trolls were great, doing 7 wounds and taking only 2 (4++ is really good) but ultimately losing from the giants misfortune. They fled but were not pursued. Elves turn 2 saw an eagle kill one of my doom divers, it was later killed by some wolf riders. More positioning from the elves.

Turn 3 I opted to charge my Iron orc unit with bsb in alone, leaving my general out of it to lend leadership to the fleeing trolls. The trolls failed their rally test, didn't quite flee off the table, but the fact that it took another turn to rally where my general couldn't get into combat was really bad. Again I decided to position my general to lend leadership to as many units as I could, mainly the trolls. Turn 3 from the elves saw my iron orcs get flanked, by the end of their turn my iron orc bsb in his challenge vs the elf bsb had slayed him easily, taking zero wounds (it was a bare knuckle style, no magic item fight thanks to mikinok's totem). The elves won the combat, but were unable to move the body guarded bsb.

Turn 4 More shooting from the orc horde and doom diver, nothing major. The trolls rallied, but were now very far from the fight. More fighting for the iron orcs, who were losing and flanked, but holding on thanks to stubborn. Turn 4 from the elves saw the iron orcs get charged in the rear, and most importantly saw my orc horde fail a terror test and flee off the board Crying or Very sad The unit contained 50 orcs and my level 3 wizard. And before you ask, yes it was in inspiring presence range, the orc army was feeling particularly cowardly today, and it cost me dearly.

Turn 5 My orc general on wyvern finally got into combat with a rear charge into a frost phoenix. He won the combat but was unable to chase down the phoenix. This left the general open to be charged by the elf general and his swordmasters unit. The general survived the combat with 1 wound remaining, and passed a -2 leadership test to stick around.

Turn 6 Trolls were perfectly positioned for me to get a charge off into the swordmasters flank, until they failed their stupidity test... STUPID! So my boar boys stepped up and were able to get a charge off into the swordmasters flank instead. In the ensuing combat my general perished, but the boarboys were hard as nails, taking zero wounds, keeping their 2 full ranks, and disrupting ranks/steadfast. They did not however manage to kill very many swordmasters. At the end I won the combat by 5... Nathan R rolled a 4, no fleeing for the elves. During this whole time the iron orcs were getting slowly grinded down, they eventually died in turn 6. After elf turn 6 the boar boys were fleeing, but not below 25%.

The game ended with a score of 4044 points for the elves, 1500 for the orcs. 16-4 for Nathan R. The game was really a lot closer than the score indicated, with a couple lucky/unlucky rolls swinging the game in a huge way. Lots of fun, and would definitely play the elves again.

Aside** In this game I really tried to use my general to lend leadership, opting to keep him out of the fight when necessary. It didn't work out for me at all, not only did I fail the tests anyways I was not able to take advantage of his combat effectiveness. This hurt me a lot, but I did learn from it so now I'm one step closer to becoming the ultimate O&G general Twisted Evil

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:45 pm

I like your style, keep at em.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Great battle report Nathan. A., keep it up! My Elves didn't do near as well as Rinholms. I played against Seans Tomb Kings and I got utterly destroyed. Not much to say, I put my hand out turn 5 giving Sean the 18-2 victory.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 am

squalie wrote:Great battle report Nathan. A., keep it up!  My Elves didn't do near as well as Rinholms.  I played against Seans Tomb Kings and I got utterly destroyed.  Not much to say, I put my hand out turn 5 giving Sean the 18-2 victory.

This was truly a clash of IMMORTALS! Just the ones made of soft squishy flesh did not fair as well. Was a really good game honestly Don's dice were his own worst enemy, and was awesome to see Don's pure infantry Elf army. Just a field of Toughness 3 elves wearing pajamas. Was a good first game of the new year. I already made alot of changes to my list, looking forward to our next game!
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 am

Played a game with Carson last night, it was a goofy game with both of us having our units get into each others' way. Probably had something to do with the terrain that I slapped together while watching the Canada/USA hockey game. Carson's Warriors of Chaos were hard as fuck (as usual) and ground my elves into the ground. It started out ok for me but the TSN turning point in the game was when I declared a charge with my treeman to the front of a unit of warriors and my wild riders to the rear. The Treeman needed a 3 on the dice to make it in and I rolled 2 1's. No problem, that full unit of wild riders puts out a tonne of hurt. I rolled the 16 attacks from the riders and 10 attacks from the wolves and I managed only a single wound. The bewildered warriors quickly thanked their dark gods and then made quick work chopping up the underperforming elves and their mounts. Elsewhere, my general bravely but foolishly took on Carson's Chaos Lord. The scrappy little elf did manage to sneak in 3 wounds but in the end he was no match for the manticore-riding behemoth and was cut down.

My Treemen continued to fail as they each fled from separate combats after one round. One managed to run far enough to escape while the other was chopped up for firewood. In the end all I had left were a unit of archers, my wizard, an eagle, a treeman with one wound left and my waywatchers (who did one wound all game). I did manage to take down Carson's BSB and large block of marauders but other than that he was pretty much untouched at the end of the game. I think the final score had him up by well over 1000 points.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:09 am

Nathan, bad dice aside - did you feel the army was competitive if all things were average?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:31 am

Oh of course. If I had been able to get the charges that I wanted and supported my combats better I don't think Carson would have run over me nearly as badly. Also, if my plucky general had managed to charge his general I think I would have killed it.

My first turn I also rolled 12 for magic dice, If I'd managed those dice better I'd have given myself a real leg up right off the start.

If If If... The more I play this game the more I realize that I'm not very good at it. I should play more.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Just had another game with Sean. His TK vs my High Elves. another 18-2 beatdown win for Sean. My dice were horrible (everyone says that) but even if they WE'RE good, I don't think I could have pulled this out. I have nothing to deal with the Sphinxs - they're damage output against toughness 3 is crazy. Plus, my army was making a TON of fear tests - which are absolute death for Elves if we fail as that's the stats we rely on.

Anyways, I'm glad there's a new league so I can put the elves back on the shelf for awhile. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm trying to think what the high elves have that would deal with sphinxes. I guess magic?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 pm

nathanr wrote:I'm trying to think what the high elves have that would deal with sphinxes.  I guess magic?

Part of me hated it, but the other part loved it as I have Sphinx's. Very Happy

I'm very aware I have an all infantry HE army, but Bolt throwers can't do a thing and against toughness 3, I can't even last long enough with my elite units to remain steadfast, lol. In one round, I'll lose a dozen Elves easy. Since there isn't even Insane Courage anymore, I can't even cross my fingers that we go insane and stick around. Since they cause Fear, after that beating, my 600 point units are MAYBE rolling a break test, but usually just auto running - which is pretty frustrating. Fear tests on 7-8's (after minus 1) makes it a real nail biter each round when you're rolling for most of your army. Oh well, the army's not changing so I'll just live with it. Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:26 pm

I admit Don was rolling spectacularly terrible today. Full 3 rounds of combat where a unit of White Lions failed to get more than 3 wounds. Total. One round was complete wiff. But it was still a really good game that could have gone either way for a while, but definitely some key points where all dice kept coming up 1's 2's. Not much to do at that point but buy new dice. Oh and iElven arrows are definitely over powered and need to be restricted *sarcasm*

I admit looking at my other armies I don't have much answer for T8 other than throw cheap tarpits at it (skeletons, goblins,) and hope for 6's? How cheap are elf spearmen?
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:04 am

How many wounds on a sphinx? Poisoned attacks might be able to do something. Can high elves get poison? Probably not.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 am

5 wounds with a 4+ AS
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content