New League Reports - July 15th

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New League Reports - July 15th

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Lol, that's hilarious. Maybe I'm such a poor player that armies seem broken to me. Very Happy I never thought of that....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Well I wasn't going to come right out and say it but now that you have... Very Happy

There are some matchups that I've found tend to go well for dwarfs and High Elves are one of them. Especially when they don't bring phoenixes or a bunch of repeater bolt throwers or other elfy tricks. If I remember correctly our game came down to your infantry and my infantry fighting it out. Dwarfs will win that encounter.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 pm

I have to throw in on this one. I'm firmly in the camp of "cut the bullshit". I played 8th edition warriors and I would of been the last guy to defend them.

First off, I'm not attacking us players that play dwarfs. I plan to build up an army myself. But we should all be able to call a spade a spade.
Introspection of anything only makes it better. As the 9th-age is just getting off the ground, the community as a whole should be reviewing the good and the bad to improve the game. Dwarven holds were either missed or the team that designed them had some serious bias. Fundamentally the idea of shield wall and heavily armoured unmoveable dwarfs is right on the mark, but then they just threw all concept of balance out the window and took it a few steps more. The problem is in the endless dwarf special rules that bypass overall game design.

example......ws5 shooters. no other army has access to this.
- runesmiths have now become more of a magic casting threat than master wizards. the ability to throw out combat breaking spells at will with low casting costs makes an already effective dwarven unit unkillable. Who the hell decided that dwarfs needed to cast magic.
- triple marching. Again, no other army has access to this. Dwarfs are now just as manouverable as any other army.
- runes that create super characters........a dwarf hero that can run around at will one hit killing monsters. every character with access to 1+ saves.
- possible army designs that allow every model in the list to carry a gun.

The 9th-age committee has already admitted online that alot of design mistakes were made or overlooked and that they are now hard at work to fix these problems.

Overall, the books that I have seen for the most part have had a very good design and balanced feel to them. Still havn't seen them all yet though. But in my opinion the dwarf book is a terrible design and needs to be reworked.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Hmm, I guess I was playing them wrong. I suppose I should be playing more games of 9th age or at least reading more of the books so I'd pick up on these things. Am I the only one who didn't know Dwarfs were OP? I mean, I knew Andre's list was something special but apart from that I thought it wasn't so bad. It felt to me more like the old book from the end of 7th edition/beginning of 8th edition.

I will concede to your opinions, I'm probably biased because I wanted to play my old dwarf list that the new 8th edition book ruined.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 am

Not even sure where to respond with this. I mean i can see both sides of the argument, i do feel a dwarf army is no fun / very disheartening to fight against. Feels like there is no weakness to exploit. Then again when i am using them i definitely dont feel invincible, i feel out numbered and out attacked. All of my units minus characters throw out 10 attacks, 11 with Champions. Dont get me wrong all 4 of my characters had 1+ AS's so theres that. But all of my characters are infantry options only. No non infantry mounts. I also have heard complaints about the +1 Str on the charge. Which seems very good. But Orks also get +1 Str the first round of every combat and also have access to Greatweapons. Not on their Core choices mind you. The max charge distance in the army is 15 inches, minus the copters (which adds a whole pile of broken list options imo). The Character that one shot a monster was 156 points for a 1+AS Thane with 5 attacks that were strength 10 against tough 5 or higher opponents. 2x Runes of Fury and 1x Rune of Smashing. I definitely feel dwarf magic needs to be at a higher cost to cast. But this might get fixed when magic gets revamped in the new year. I admit the Forge Wardens with WS 5 and Str 5 Quick to Fire weapons is one of my favorite units visually and functionality. but it still is only BS 3 with a 18" range. So know em to WS 4 but increase the range to 24"? Also the core choices having leadership 9 is probably a bit much for basic troops, they should cap at 8 for core.

As for the WS 5 core choices.
Chaos Warrior is 13 points with a 3+ AS, Two attacks at Str 4 and WS 5 at Ini 4.
where a
Greybeard is 12 points 4+ AS, 6+ Parry that is 5+ if they get charged. Str 4 or Str 5 if they charged. and only 1 attack at Ini 2..

But we all know how good Chaos Warriors are. Not sure where i was going with this post but these are just my general thoughts. On that note me and Brian had a few games.

Sean Dwarves vs Brian Lizardmen = Sean got 670 vs Brian got 398; Game Type C.T.F. Deployment Diagonal: Fine Score - 12-8 ; Victory for Sean

Another good game, brian had alot of shooting on his side throwing quite a few bolt throwers and Redwood Shaft spells at me. Neither of us managed to get eachothers flags both playing a little defensive and dancing around non scoring units.

Sean Dwarves vs Brian Lizardmen = Sean got 1515 vs Brian got 775; Game Type Breakthrough Deployment Standard: Final Score - 10-10 ; TIE

This was a solid game where limited dwarf movement ended up costing them the objective. I got more points of his army but he ended up with a scoring unit in my objective zone.

I think we need to play more objective and different deployment. It changes the game alot and changes how lists are built. Me and Brian had a game O&G vs High Elves and i found that i didnt have enough scoring units and was forced to play more defensive against his 3 scoring units to defend the hill. I wanted my horde of Savage orks with a banner to chase some elves and kill them but they had to play defensive on the hill so that his movement 5 elves didnt come steal it from behind on turn 6.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:52 am

Stomps and impacts hit suck for Dwarves btw. Because everything in the army can get stomped, nothing can stomp and no parry ward save against impact hits. (which suck for everyone anyways)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:57 am

Kal wrote:

As for the WS 5 core choices.
Chaos Warrior is 13 points with a 3+ AS, Two attacks at Str 4 and WS 5 at Ini 4.
where a
Greybeard is 12 points 4+ AS, 6+ Parry that is 5+ if they get charged. Str 4 or Str 5 if they charged. and only 1 attack at Ini 2..

Im not going to post this as a rip on Sean because that is not its intention and if I wanted to do that I would do it better than this Very Happy, however I think it is silly to compare units rather than full army books. I could sit here and list unit vs unit that I find unfair, but somewhere down the road in each of those books it should even out somehow.  Now I can't say with 100 percent certainty if the Dwarf book is ridiculously overpowered. All I could do is give accounts of it crushing me the few times I have played against it. I believe my ratio vs them is 1 win 3 losses.

Most memorable would be vs Andre's flying machine army, I spent the full 6 rounds trying to kill even 1 frickin gyrco something or other and I just couldnt burn through his t6 AS something. Now that might have been roll based, but I was looking down the field at 5-6 of these bloody things thinking " If I cant even kill 1, how am I suppose to do anything vs the rest".  Granted I don't know if Tzeentch was ever meant to fight those things in the way I did. It may also have been a matter of I didn't have the tools to do the job.  Anywho Off to class I go

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 am

To be fair. And again not to rip into Frank. But read the post Wink Don is comparing a 140 point special dwarf unit to a 90 point elf core choice. Just saying lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:14 am

Me and Carson actually had a game that wasnt reported here either. It was Dwarves vs chaos Warriors. 1860 vs 1420 I believe (please correct me if I forgot Carson) victory for the Dwarves

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:30 am

So Frank, how is your training going?

All good arguments, I could even follow Sean's posts without taking a headache medication Very Happy

I've played against the dwarfs a bunch of times now, I guess the biggest problem I see are that they have limited or even removed the weaknesses of the army. In the 9th-age designers forum they mentioned that their intent was that every army have well defined strengths and weaknesses. Sounds perfect but what are the first weaknesses of a dwarf army that people will think of......no magic, limited movement, high points costs.........well special rules have been added to address 2 of those issues, and the points costs are not in line with other similar unit costs. Book to book comparisons are not the best way to go as each book should be balanced internally but one can still realize the huge differences in effectiveness of similar points costed units.

It will be interesting to see what changes are made when the full army book is released.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:11 am

I definitely agree that dwarfs need to get slower again. It was always my lament that I could beat a unit in combat but then couldn't run it down when it fled. I don't think the triple March thing is out of line but I should be -1 to charge and pursue. Or roll 3 dice and take the lower two.

Magic, meh. They used to be able to absolutely shut down the magic phase, now they've traded that for some spells of their own.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 am

Dom took my flying dwarfs out of the hanger against my hard hitting ogres last night. Right out of the gate Dom surprised me with his set up and the terrain placement afforded him some good cover. I thought i was in good shape when i shot down a grudgebuster and one of his organ guns disappeared. I got off transmutation killing one hold guardian and giving plenty of Doms units stupidity which they passed every test the rest of the game. I couldnt make a charge roll for the life for the life of me and my magic phases were awful rolling low channeling and missing spells by one pip a few times. I think i will tweak my list a bit but overall i like it. Dom won by 130 pts 11-9

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:52 am

Had a great game yesterday against Brian and his Lizards. I brought my Tzeentch warriors and it came down to one combat at the end of the game with my Daemon Prince and his Temple Guard unit with Slaan. I cast a spell that didn't allow BSB or Inspiring Presence to be used and caused his BSB and General combo to run - which I promptly ran down. If that didn't happen, Brian was probably going to win the game - draw at the worst. Never give up - never Surrender! Last roll on tuen six for the win! 12-8 for me. A Saurus unit beat the snot of a BSB included Warriors unit...fear the saurus.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Dwayne brought over his empire army for a try against my ogres this afternoon. Right away i cast a spell which would have caused a unit of 50 halberds to take dangerous terrain tests failing on 2s. This had a big impact as his key unit of knights were then trapped behind them not being able to start sweeping around my flank. My tribesmen took out a small unit of scouting bowmen and then proceeded to run over the halberdiers and knight unit. My two giants charged hus steam tank and the duo dented it so badly the jaws of life couldnt save the dudes inside. Volley guns i think are a more badass version of organ guns 3 d6 x 2 strength 5 shots with an engineer to protect misfires. In the end i won by 777 pts for a 13-7 win.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 pm

Sean O&G VS Brian Lizardmen - 2798 vs 1987 - 17-3 Victory For Sean - Diagonal Deployment - Hold the Ground Obj

This was a very bloody game with Brian's Monsters and Flyers breaking through my flank very early on killing a Goblin King a unit of boar boys and an Gargantula. My giant got lucky and tied up a Temple Guard unit for 2 turns, winning combat and ending it right away, surviving with 1/6 wound and then finally falling to some Blinding Light Buffed Temple Guard. Spider Riders had a very unsuccessful charge on a Stygiosaur (predatory roar monster) with all of the Spider Riders running away and getting killed. Trolls failed to defeat a unit of Snake Swarm and then got charged in the next unit by a 35 strong unit of Saurus and losing combat to get run down. My horde of 40 Savage Ork Big un's fought off a the saurus unit and the remaining temple guard. Finally dying once the temple guard got buffed on the flank. The Saurus unit was down to 2 models and got shot to death by my unit of 40 cave goblin short bow's. A unit of Boar Boys managed to kill the Styigosaur and then ran and hide with 2 wounds left. Brian's Skink Priest miscast causing a pile of dead skinks which made his unit to panic and run off the field. My Giant Ork Idol Charged the remaining temple guard got 2/3 impact hits, and stomped 5/6 saurus dead leaving a loan slann to roll on double 1's. with the slann fleeing and getting run down then on turn 6 my last scoring unit of goblins marched onto the point claiming me the Objective victory points. As Brian put it, in true goblin fashion they waiting until everyone else was dead then snuck in out of no where and claimed the glory. Remaining on the field was my lvl 2 Goblin Shaman and his 40 Cave Goblin unit on point. My Ork Idol, 2 Boars and Brians triceratops monster thing breathing down their necks.

Was a very good game that was close in alot of battles. My magic i constantly rolled under 5 for power dice but always managed to roll 1-2 spells as brian had such low dice as to dispel. This was nice to know that even with low magic dice i could change some key combats with 1 or 2 right spells. Brian managed to pull off very high power dice during his phase but luck wasnt on his side as he failed to cast spells by 1 or 2. Slann is a powerful caster with channeling on a 2+ thou when properly geared.

Running a objective was fun too as it gave us something else to think about with Brian's scoring units holding the point from turn 1-4 and me just managing to get it turn 6. Changed my strategy mid game from holding the point to making sure he couldnt score at all by killing those units. Rematch tomorrow night, Lizards vs O&G

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Carson and i faced off the other night in a diagonal battle of chaos vs ogres. Great game really close with quite a bit of maneovering. Magic hardly came through our dice this game other than a few regen spells for each of us but they did happen at opportune times. Right away in the middle saw Carsons shaggoth get charged by my thunder cannon and a giant also my bombardiers charged a unit of dragon ogres. At the end i pulled off my bombardiers and Carson's shaggoth got thumped in the head by my giant. 2 d6 wounds is savage.
My giant over ran to be charged and killed by Carsons general on a chariot and the dragon ogres smashed my cannon. On the other side of the board i got to laugh as my kineaters took apart two of carsons chariots and my small unit of scraplings wrecked a skirmished unit worth double their points. My generals unit failed an initial charge against a second skirmished unit and then turned back to the center.
My bigger unit of scraplings attempted to deal some damage to his casters unit but bounced off not quite running far enough to let carson double charge my generals tribesmen horde. This saw the rest of the game battling in the center where carsons warriors finally came to help the casters unit which couldnt make a save roll if he paid for it. His remaining dragon ogres finally took out my kineaters who were obviously sleepy from eating so much chaos...they did about 600 pts of damage failing in turn six to eat the last dragon ogre.
Lastly carsons general chariot tempted my second giant who swung around to do some march blocking early in the game with a nice rear charge which i declined the first time when he made his general +1 tough for one tirn. I then charged doing a single wound but carson wiffed and my giant had him running but did not catch. He rallied i recharged and he only did 2 wounds which doubled. I then smashed him for a second wound and caused him to lose his bottom turn six attacks. My giant attempted to thump him but carson easily passed his init test.
Like i said great game with 154 pts difference. I got 1005 carson 851 so 11-9 for the ogres

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 am

Played a very enjoyable game tonight against Andre's ogres.  It's late so I won't get into details but the TSN turning point of the game was a quadruple charge against a horde of ogres.  Not even the khan of khans can survive 2 units of dread knights and 2 raptor chariots charging you on the same turn as a spell reduces your strength, toughness and leadership by one.  Give Andre credit though, he didn't extend his hand when that unit and all his characters died.  He soldiered on to the end of turn 6 and managed to take a few of my units with him.  The end result was a 14-6 victory for me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 am

Yes it was quite fun. Unfortunate for me so impassable terrain would not allow me to charge and i didnt think he would make all four charges. My gorgers were still hungry today swooping in to help my giants devour his generals unit and were the last of my units on the table. Give credit to my scrapling unit with foreman that absorbed three chariot charges turn 4 5 and 6 two from the rear and held like bosses until on Nathans last attacks managed to do a final wound to take the unit. Nathan got 2479 pts while i managed 1551 off him.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:35 am

Yep, you can blame Daniel for the impassible terrain as he set up the table. Had I known you were bringing a 2' wide unit of ogres I would have adjusted things slightly.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:40 am

nathanr wrote:Yep, you can blame Daniel for the impassible terrain as he set up the table.   Had I known you were bringing a 2' wide unit of ogres I would have adjusted things slightly.
To make it easier for the Ogre Deathstar? Lol

Good on Andre for sticking it out until the end, many a lost game has been won by being tenacious.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Played two games against Don today.

First Don wanted to see what the fuss was about my gunline dawi list. He didnt like it. Turn one went to Don and he nicely moved into range so i obliged by killing his general on chariot put 3 wounds on his daemon prince and caused enough wounds on his maruaders for them to take a step back and rethink their orders.
I failed a charge with my hold guardians which opened me up to several charges and a subsequent flank charge on my clan marksmen. From there it was all dwarfs as my generals unit of marksmen repelled an attack and then shot down a unit of knights on the charge and brought down the daemon prince in combat. Dons caster fell to organ gun fire while my grudgebuster and attack coptor chased down the remaining marauders. Ended in a 17-3 win for me.

Reset Dons chaos against my ogres. I positioned for turn two charges and Don transmuted my ogre block killing the bsb and 8 ogres. That spell is gross especially when i failed my dispell by one pip. I managed to charge with everything but a unit of scraplings which were stupid from Dons transmutation spell. My other unit of scraplings battled with some zneetch fallen for several rounds before succumbing. On one flank my giant and thunder cannon combo charged the knight units but did not survive long enough for some kineater help.
The other flank saw a giant and unit of bombadiers battle it out with the giant responsible for killing two monstrous calvary and seperating from combat so the last one could run down the bombadiers. This left Don to circle in on my remaining ogres who couldnt seem to scratch the daemon prince even with bonuses to toughness and strength and impacts. My unit eventually broke to be run down and that left Don to mop up the rest of my army. 17-3 win for Don
Thanks for coming up Don anytime you want to fight my dwarfs say the word

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Had a game with Brian today. O&G vs Lizardmen - Victory for Sean 2008 - 1800 / 11-9 - Classic Deploy - Playing for Points.

This was a very close game, came down to my block of Savage orks with General and Shaman being left on the field for me. A unit of Saurus, skinks and a big wounded dino left for him. Lots of overruns for both sides this game. Brian's poison shooting made short work of my high toughness targets as per usual. His Skink Sky riders were definitely MVP's with taking double their points this game and securing a flank on their own by killing a big unit of Spider Riders and Boar Boys before finally falling to a giant. The giant then spent the game being shot to death by poison blow pipes. His General on a T-Rex thingy charged solo into a my block of Savage Orks and challenged out the BIG BOSS who then used his Strength 8 to spank that dino and send him running. A unit of Saurus warriors got a long charge on a horde of goblins causing them to flee, rethinking shortbows, parry just might save more lives. Magic was fluxing all game with both sides having ups and downs. Was a good game, fought down to the end with a few inches on a couple failed charges making all the difference. I gotta say i miss insane courage.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:40 am

Played a game against Carson at the Den today. My Tzeench Warriors vs Undivided Warriors. The start of the game really was a lot of stalemating in the middle with each of us trying to get better position for charges. I got my sorc lord up the left flank with my Elder dragon centaur and got some strong magic phases off which helped whittle down some of his units. My Chaos knights and BSB charged in on some once chosen and my Elder Dragon Centaur got in on his warriors. Tzeench smiled on us and Carson failed two rerollable break checks resulting in his lines breaking. The Tzeench warriors prevailed!

It was a massacre victory. Magic definitely played a major factor in the game. A +4 casting modifier on my lord made it easy to get those important spell through..

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:18 am

blizzard435 wrote: Magic definitely played a major factor in the game.  A +4 casting modifier on my lord made it easy to get those important spell through..

Just curious. How did you get a 4+ Modifier ?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:08 am

Level 4 wizard (+2), Mark of change (+1), Book of Arcane Power (+1)

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top