New League Reports - July 15th

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New League Reports - July 15th

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Me and Brian had a couple of games today, trying out different armies. We actually did different objectives. Capture The Flag for the first game and Breakthrough for the second.

Sean - Dwarves vs Brian - Lizards = Victory for Sean 2950 vs 352 / 20-0

I ended up getting all of his flags and wiped every lizard off the board. Dwarves were rolling very hot this game on saves.

Sean - Wood Elves vs Brian - Daemons = Victory for Sean 1993 vs 276 / 16-4

Neither of us had played our armies before so it was a bit of a learning game. I think i like elves. Neither of us managed to breakthrough into the others deployment. I ended up wiping out all of his scoring units and never got mine to his side.

Fun games, i think we are doing Beastmen VS Wood Elves tonight Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New League Reports - July 15th

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:21 pm

Brian and me had another game today. Breakthrough with normal Battle Lines

Sean - Wood Elves vs Brian - Beastmen = Victory for Sean 1959-532 and i ended up with one of my scoring units in his deployment zone so 19-1

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:11 am

How are these games so one-sided? Something is wrong here ....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am

squalie wrote:How are these games so one-sided?  Something is wrong here ....

Honestly, these games were 100% legit. Its just at home i have an easier time playing and strategizing i guess? Not sure what else to say. Gor's really arnt bringing alot to the table imo. he threw 50 attacks at a unit of 40 Glade Guards and i walked away with 1 dead elf. He has STR 3 so i get to keep my 4+ AS and he is wounding me on 4's already. Hell i LOVE the idea of Gors. a unit of 40 with extra hand weapon is like 250 points, but they just couldnt do much with that giant footprint. He ran 2 units of 10 strong Mino's with a badass character in each (4+/4+) (bsb and general) two giant blocks of 40 gors. A lvl 2 wizard. a Giant and a couple of chariots and chaff units for flankers. I ran 40 Glade Guard. two units of 6 Wild Riders (love these guys but they die sooo easy) a unit of 4 Hawk Riders ( how many supporting attacks do these guys get? and do the mounts get them too?) three units of 5x Blade Dancers (to get in the way LOVE THEM) 4 Treekin and my Fighty Treeman General + Elf BSB + lvl4 Elf Wizard. Just elves hitting on 2's and hitting first is SUCH a game changer. We are going to have another game or two this week, if anyone has any suggestions on how to build Beastment, Daemons or Wood Elves maybe it'll help me and Brian in our games.

Oh and like the first spell i cast during the game i rolled 5 dice and got FIVE 6's . so thats kind of how i was rolling all game Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Kestrel knights only the riders in the second rank get to swing with monstrous support (up to 3 attacks each).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Thats what i thought, so we played that right... idk then

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm certainly not implying that anyone is cheating, just I'd like to see some games and watch what Brian is doing.

Also, the only reason to take a big block of Gors like that is to put the BSB with the strength banner in there so they're st 4. Plus, the BSB using totems is HUGE. You may as well just make the core Gors into 25 ambushing blocks and let the Mino's do the heavy lifting and have the Gors show up for rear charge and ranks, etc.

I think there's a lot left in the Beastmen army that Brian isn't using. If that doesn't work, I might buy them back. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 am

Those are the things i was attempting to encourage. the Strength banner was on one of the units of gors that fought the 4 treekin on a flank, the gors had overran after slaughtering a unit of blade masters, so they were in a bad position.

I'll talk to him and suggest he reads into it and builds a list for ambush nexttime. i think he will enjoy it. On that note, just want to make this clear since i can see me having to deal with alot of rear and flank charges now. When during a turn can i combat reform to face the unit to my rear or flank? only after combat?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:33 am

If you are only engaged to a flank you can reform after 1st combat either freely if you win or by testing against leadership minus combat res. Or in your movement phase, again provided you are unengaged elsewhere.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 am

Yes, at end of combat. Or else, one would never get a bonus for rear or flank.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:34 am

Ok, thats what i thought, was just brain farting on it for some reason.... Or during your movement phase? Like after your opponent charged you on their turn?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54 pm

Carson tried out his chaos army against my Great Kahn (i say this bc my general caused close to half his army to disappear at one point hd managed to kill 7 chaos knights before anyone else got a chance). We had two giants fighting it out in the middle even when Carsons general charged the rear and only doing 3 wounds with my second giant coming in on a flank charge. My gorgers were not hungry as they watched the fray from a distance. My scratapult failed to hit anything mostly due to operator error. Carson had a unit of ambushers that caused my scraplings to run but not get caught as he hit my second giant( not the one in the middle). They were pretty confident until my giant turned and smashed 8 in combat and the last to thunder stomps. Magic was tame in this game with each of us rolling poor channelling.
My general took out his magic caster even needing 5s to hit due to spells and pestilence and laughed in the face of wasteland warriors that subsequently charged in. Carson extended his end at the bottom of 4.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 am

Andres Ogres smashed up my army quite easily, it was very messy. Sad

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:30 am

Sounds like a blood bath, What did the points / score end up? Did chaos fight back at all? Ogres seem like a hard nut to crack, have they lost yet? Anyone want to trade Wood Elves for Ogres? haha jkjk

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Game vs me and Brian today. Secure the Objective.

Sean Wood Elves vs Brian Lizardmen - Victory for Sean 2900-962 / 17-3

Neither of us held the objective. Honestly end of turn 5 there were no Lizards left on the field, not sure what else to say. Not that things werent going Brians way at the start. He killed half my General Treeman with a Swarm of Insects first turn. then almost shot it to death with his bolt thrower but i made my 5+. My magic was underwhelming, one turn i rolled under 5 for every spell i cast and i started with 12 power dice and only tried to cast 3 spells.... you can do the math there lol. My wild riders got a flank charge into some chameleon skinks which lead me to a very nice over run into the flank of a unit of Temple guard that were already beating up a treeman. I debuffed some Kroxigors to toughness 1 and then beat them up with 40 Glade Guard that over ran WAYYY to far straight into his line only to get counter charged by a BSB Stegadon with 2d6 impact hits and a unit of 35 Saurus Warriors with Wyssans Wildform on them my Glade guard got obliterated and ran away 3 inches lol. My little units of Blade Dancers did a great job of getting in the way, still love those guys. a unit of 3 hawk riders charged his unit of 30 skinks with a wizard in it on turn two. and that was the last combat left in the game, 1/3 of the hawkriders died to stand and shoot, another died in the first round of combat but the last one held out the WHOLE game, with me winning combats by 1 and him being steadfast. that was a fun slap fest. I ran a lvl 2 Heavens and a lvl 2 Shadow. the heavens cast Blizzard once then got amnesia and forgot all of his spells. i admit the shadow wizard was the most helpful but he just didnt feel like it to me, not sure why... anyways was a good game, definitely going to try and get another in before the long weekend is done.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:48 am

Carson and I played a game Wednesday night, his warriors vs my dread elves. It was a bloody beat-down of a game with multiple massive grinding combats going turn after turn right to the end. Once the dust settled Carson stood victorious with a 403 victory point difference. I threw away a few units trying to kill Carson's general in combat but my hunting chariots paid off on turn 6 when they managed to succeed where everyone else had failed, sniping the chaos sorcerer with a bolt that caused 3 wounds. Carson's magic was on-point with him rolling 11 on the winds of magic in his first 2 turns. Combine that with me failing every dispel attempt and he was feeling pretty confident at the start of the game. It evened out in the end though as I had some big combat phases and some lucky rolls late in the game to make it a close one. Thanks for the game Carson.

I just realized that I forgot the models you have for me AND I forgot to give you your prize money for getting 2nd in the league. Next time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:15 am

Tell me about it, before you came over, I even set the figs aside so I wouldn't forget to give them to you.....and I forgot.

Sometimes I feel so old!

Fun game though, 9th age is making me remember why I love this hobby so much.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Had 2 games on Saturday, the first with Nathan.A. which was a really back and forth game. Also, really good to see that guy back playing games.

My Daemons against his Orcs and some goblins. My tzeentch Herald on Disc zapped his Orc Lord on Wyvern right of the sky early on and I felt confident - until his Savage Orcs jabbed a big pointy spear into the groin of my Bloodthirster and sent him back to the void. We bashed back and forth with my finally, and a little surprisingly, coming out with the win. I got 2645 from him and he took 1845 from me.

Next game was against Sean and his Dwarfs. I hate Dwarfs, I hate Dwarfs, can't stand Dwarfs, I'm a baby, I hate Dwarfs.

Ok, with that out of the way, the game started out pretty good - until the Dwarfs started rolling dice. Wink It wasn't quite that bad, and I did make some silly decisions and will change my list (big block of Horrors = bad) It got worser and worser until I put my hand out on turn 4 as it was getting late and only MANY lucky dice rolls would have made much of a difference.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Games yesterday were awesome. Like Don said, it was a great game between us, with lots of back and forth, with Don getting the last laugh as his demons killed my last orc on turn 6.

I also played Carson. This game went a bit better for the greenskins. I managed to score the win almost solely on the strength of my war machines, which were rolling direct hits with about an 80% success rate, it was absurd.

I did enjoy 9th age, lots of fun with what seems like less cheese than was available in 8th. I do say that having not faced the dwarfs though, I hear they were a little...

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am

Dwarfs are not cheesy, Don just likes to have an excuse to be grumpy when the dice don't go his way. Good to see you playing games again Nathan! Just gotta get Nathan M back in the saddle and then we can start our plan for world domination! Don't worry, we will be cruel but fair rulers.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 pm

nathanr wrote:Dwarfs are not cheesy, Don just likes to have an excuse to be grumpy when the dice don't go his way.  Good to see you playing games again Nathan!  Just gotta get Nathan M back in the saddle and then we can start our plan for world domination!  Don't worry, we will be cruel but fair rulers.

Sigh. Of course the Dwarf player responds....

My dice were fine - my point was my dice rolls didn't matter. Anyways, it could be just an excuse for me to be grumpy. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:17 pm

The grumpier Don gets the more he starts sounding like a dwarf. Maybe its time to make a switch

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 pm

I only stopped in for a second or two so I can't really comment on either your lists or the decisions you made but I will say that Dwarfs haven't changed all that much from the last book in 8th edition. If anything they got less powerful overall.

I think they give people trouble because they lend themselves well to a different playstyle than most armies. They are the ultimate defensive army and their ranged choices can pretty much force you to come to them. In combat their veteran infantry can go toe-to-toe with most things and keep combats relatively even. That said, Daemons should be fairly well-equipped to deal with them. Immune to psychology means you don't need to worry about panicking from shooting, unstable means that losing combat by 1 isn't going to break you on an unlucky break test and you should be much faster and more maneuverable.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

I suppose it's hard to complain about something and have it not sound like whining, lol. I guess I get what I get. And if I am a chronic whiner - and don't know it, I'll work on that too.

Having said that, Dwarfs are better in 9th than in 8th. They are not my army, but I can link to many threads that support that claim ...and those are from the 9th group. Having said THAT, I have to point out that the fellows here who play Dwarfs, whom are quick to jump on the Dwarf defends need to understand I'm not picking on the Dwarf players. At all.

When I see a 10 man  Forge warden unit single handedly take on my whole flank (exaggerating) I have to ask how a 140 unit got through testing like that. Many are asking the same question.  I have 100 point elf unit that doesn't have forge armour, BS 5, strength 5 shooting, with quick to fire, toughness 4, leadership 9. That's insane for 40 points more than my elf bow unit. And Dwarfs casting spells seem way wrong for the casting cost there are to get rerolled armour with 5+ parry. Quarrellers that shoot up my flesh hounds (fair) and still have great weapons when I get there seems like the Dwarfs have little to no weaknesses.

If this is whining, so be it, BUT I do have to say the guys here defending Dwarfs are the same fellows proudly proclaiming that their list is going to be a hell of a list to beat. I'll post more tonight after people say I'm whining. Very Happy

*edit*. Ultimately, I can't change the rules so it's obvious this is my issue to deal with and not a reflection on Dwarf players at all. Part of my brain begged me not to post this - and as always, I didn't listen. Smile I won't delete this post as the cowards way out. Nathan, since I have never played as Dwarfs, I'm 100% sincerely interested in knowing why you feel Dwarfs were better in 8th. I'm open to changing my mind about this.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Who knows, maybe you're right Don. I haven't had a ton of luck with my dwarfs, I think my record last league would confirm that I lost more than I won. My only big win came against you I think (hence adding to your opinion about their overpoweredness). Sean and Andre probably have more valid opinions than I do as they've played more games with dwarfs in 9th edition than I have. Your opinions are also likely more valid than mine as you have played against dwarfs more often than I have too.

All I'm saying is with my little experience I haven't found dwarfs to be OP, they can be a tough nut to crack but they have strengths and weaknesses just like every other army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top