Can I charge?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can I charge?

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 pm

This came up a while back in a game I was playing with a friend. There was a big battle involving lots of units including a chariot of his. He wiped out one of my units in the fight and a unit of his that was on the flank of the destroyed unit then re-charged into the fight leaving the chariot butted up against an infantry unit of his that was still in the big fight, but the chariot was not engaged with any enemies. I had a unit of pegasus knights that I wanted to charge at his chariot but I didn't want to get them involved in the big fight as it was pretty much lost for me anyway. The question is, could I charge the chariot and not the infantry unit?

I don't know if the discription made sense, I'll post a diagram if it didn't.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can I charge?

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 pm

Your description was woefully inadequate, and quite an insult to the english language.

Take pics and try again. Short answer is if you can see something, you can declare the charge. You still have to be able to make it with a single (????) wheel I believe.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:16 pm

I can charge the chariot, the thing is, I don't want to also charge the unit that is beside it because I want it to be a seperate combat from the one that the enemy infantry unit is in.
P = pegasus knights
[] = chariot
/////
///// = enemy infantry unit
/////

Here is how they are set up:

P P P

/////[]
/////
/////

Can I charge the chariot without charging the infantry unit? I think that I can but my friend argued that I must maximise the number of units in combat which would mean the infantry unit gets charged as well.

Does that description make more sense?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm

You have to maximize the models in contact, not the units. You're free to charge the chariot, and the chariot alone.

If there is still an appendix with the accidental charge rules then PERHAPS there is a case to be made for having the second (infantry) unit being drawn into combat.

As far as I know the 100mm bas side of the chariot means you will charge in with your 3 pegasus knights and 2 will make contact with the third having to go behind the unit.

However, there appears to have been an error made with the chariot itself. How did it wind up flush with the side of the infasntry? The chariot needed to maximise frontage on it's charge, so should NOT be completely flush to the side but rather staggered slightly so as to allow for one more infantry model to be engaged.

Hope my awesomeness provided a level of clarity to your day.

Love,

Scott

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Upon further investigation my answer appears to have provide little in the way of solace and clarity.

Yes you can charge the be-jeeziz out of his chariot. His chariot MUST be one inch away from his own unit (I think) but regardless, the only way you'd be forced to charge the infantry unit would be if you didn't have enough space to fit your models, and were forced to make base to base contact.

You're not as you're flying skirmishers, and I think all three make base contact like this....

P1P1P2P2P3P3
[[[[[[[[]]]]]

So I believe your in the clear. You've made max base contact, have the most models fighting as possible, and avoided the infantry like the cowardly Bretonian you are. That's how I would rule on it. So tell your friend that you got it from an official "Word of God" GW source. If he doesn't post here, he'll never know!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Yes you can charge the be-jeeziz out of his chariot. His chariot MUST be one inch away from his own unit (I think) but regardless, the only way you'd be forced to charge the infantry unit would be if you didn't have enough space to fit your models, and were forced to make base to base contact.

No you don't have to be 1" from friendlies, just enemies. That's how the annoying Vampire Bunker players get away with putting all their characters in a single unit and then bumping the front of that unit against the back of the unit in front of it to keep them safe.

It can happen that a unit finds itself just out of combat
because it is fractionally further away than one lined next
to it, or at a slight angle compared to the chargers. In
reality the chargers would not simply stop and form a
neat line whilst their enemy are so close. Therefore, the
chargers are automatically moved into contact if they are
within 1" of the second enemy unit and assuming the
chargers have enough move left to reach them. Move the
enemy unit into position, as this is usually easiest, or
shuffle all the units together until a battleline is formed.

From here:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

You have to maximize against the chariot, and if that maximization brings the Pegasus Knights within 1" of the other enemy model (which it almost certainly would) they would be interpreted to have declared a charge against both units.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:51 pm

There you go! Turns out I was right! I'll go back and edit my post later....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top