Sean's O&G

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean's O&G

Post  Kal on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 am

Ok, so i know it seems i post alot but never any pictures. I assure you when i feel like i have something worth taking a picture of i will. But in the mean time... I'm starting to build and paint my O&G stuff and was wondering on what kind of paint colours to use. Just looking for opinions / suggestions because i'm not 100% sure on the direction i want to go. I'm either thinking traditional GREEN orcs or maybe something darker like the Lord of the Rings orcs. Honestly not sure if im going to end up with a Savage Orc army or Common Orcs or Black Orcs... Anyways so I'm looking for what you guys would suggest for Orc flesh and wash.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean's O&G

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:14 am

I think the traditional green is good. Use a purple wash to make your shadows though, it'll make them more unique. If you want to go darker you could use an olive green highlighted with the same colours as you'd use to highlight FOW tanks.

Paint up 3 test models, each using different colours and post pictures. We'll vote.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

nathanr wrote: Paint up 3 test models, each using different colours and post pictures. We'll vote.

DEAL, the second i read Green washed in Purple i loved that idea think it could pop really well. I bought that small box of 5x Orc Boys for specifically paint testing ideas. After the tourney im going to go hard into the swing of things.

Small question, what is that traditional Orc Green called? Like in GW?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Base: Waaagh Flesh
Then layer with whatever you want.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:51 pm

make sure you reapply highlights of the original color after the wash, then if you feel like the effort, another highlight of a lighter color.....usually the original mixed with a lighter color.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Perfect guys, thanks. And yes i'll Waggh Green then wash then highlight in Waggh again.

On that note Carson, how did you paint those 32 Savage Orcs Don had (that i now have) ? because i really like the way they look. The Yellow war paint is even growing on me.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 pm

same principle....graveyard earth, wash with agrax, graveyard earth, graveyard earth mixed with karak stone. war paint is straight up yellow

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks Carson!

So... just putting this out there as an idea. What do you guys think about using a converted Stonehorn as a Arachnarok? Kind of like a "Savage Orc Arachnarok"

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:52 pm

It depends, if it was a one off odd ball in the army it would look wrong. If however the army featured several other conversions in that same style it would be ok.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Like boar boyz on the new boar things from AOS or the ogre monstrous cav mounts.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:42 am

Yeah i get what you guys mean, and thats kind of what i was thinking tbh. Making it so they looked more mangy and wild. Yes adding other converted elements would be key. I'll look into the AOS Boar Boys and stuff, see what i like and can make work.

Altho i quite like the arachnarok fig tho.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:13 am

Painting up some more of these guys, I've got about 12 built so far and 6 of them done to about this stage so far. Just testing some colours but it think my goblins are all going to look like this.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 am

looking good so far, with the limited amount of fig painting you've done you show some real talent for it. keep up the good work.

straigthen out the pics before you post though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Carson wrote:looking good so far, with the limited amount of fig painting you've done you show some real talent for it. keep up the good work.

straigthen out the pics before you post though.

Carson, have some respect.  You are talking to a well paid I.T. department employee, who's well versed in technology and has a complete understand.....

.....aw, forget it.

Lookin good Sean, now fix those pics. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks guys! appreciate it. Really went hard on painting and modeling this weekend. Got all 16 Goblins Built and partially painted, 2 new wood elf characters built, 3 Blade Dancers painted just need to be based tonight, Built and primed the 4 avatar of wars Dwarf characters and got paint on two of them. Built a new O&G Savage Shaman that just came in the mail. 4 Ork Boys built and primed and some paint on them (testing colours) and some more metal on my Shermans.

Honestly when i post these pictures they always come out straight for me on my iPad or phone. It just keeps posting sideways when you look at them on a computer. Not sure why tbh.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:46 pm

cant help you there. Sounds like a perfect weekend.

although....your eyes are probably so crossed from jerking off that those sideways pics look straight! Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Do you guys think that Mushrooms that are 9x11mm will be too big for O&G.... now that i think of it they will take up like half of a 20mm base... if i know math... which i dont.... Fuck i ordered 40 of them already HAHHA

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Depends on how you use them. They could be perfect.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah, they will be perfect for bigger bases, like the Arachnarok. but i'm thinking they wont work on the 20 mm goblin bases... or atleast not 1 per base like i had thought. Just sprinkled in the army and painted bright red im sure they will give the effect i want... Ordered a ton of stuff this past week for my O&G and Wood Elves, Cool logs, lamp posts (gonna paint these up wooden kind of like the one from the Lion the witch and the wardrobe so its just a random street lamp in the middle of a forst), tree stumps with little designs, theres a whole market of "Fairy Garden" stuff that almost scales well. I'll take pics and let everyone know the quality, everything i got was total under $40 shipped so was nice.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:18 pm

Do a few bases with just mushrooms as unit filler may still give the effect you want

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Mhael wrote:Do a few bases with just mushrooms as unit filler may still give the effect you want

This is really good advice, and it will keep you from hating your army if you don't love the mushrooms after a while.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:16 am

Love that idea, i dont know why i never think of Unit fillers, i guess i think of them as cheating idk why. But a base or two of fat mushrooms would be perfect. Maybe i'll order some bigger ones or just wait to see how these ones look when they show up. Thanks guys!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:45 am

I'd use them both ways. Have a few interspersed on your bases throughout the unit (like 1/4 of the bases) and then use a bunch on a few 40mm unit filler bases that can be put in the unit. Make sure you do more with those unit filler bases than just some mushrooms. You have 4 times as much space to work with on a 40mm base so use it. Get creative and make it look like you put more thought into it than just gluing mushrooms to plastic.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 am

Bases have never been my strong suit... mostly involve White glue and premade GW fluff or the GW technical paints haha! And yet i'm roommates with an AMAZING baser, but he doesnt like to share his tips and tricks, selfish prick.

Good idea tho Nathan, i think when i get them since they are resin maybe i'll see if i can shave and chop em in different ways to make them more unique. I have enough comming and they were cheap enough after all. and on a 40mm base id have tons of room to play. and it would fill up my unit of goblins ! i have like 42 goblins but really want a unit of like 50 (if i can even do that) so if i make 1x 40 mm base and 3 unit fillers and pop a cheap character in there. BAM full unit.

What other suggestions for bits on O&G bases do you guys have? Mushrooms, Skulls? See this is where i always draw a blank lol, for every damn army

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:31 am

Totems, big rocks, a squig, a spider, get some height differences in the unit, the sky is the limit. Maybe an off-course doom diver or a fanatic getting ready to go. I would love to make a goblin army with mini dioramas throughout. Maybe I will.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top