Demo -> Michael's 'Nam Demo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:56 am

@ Tramp's Comics & Games
June 16th @ 1800-2030
1,000 point armies provided by FoW Regina Rifles

With PAVN Forces outnumbered (Matt is doing a radio show) Jace is taking double the points to keep things fair:
Tięu Đôŕn Bô Binh (Infantry Battalion)
Fearless Trained - Infantry Company

Headquarters
2 Cmd AK47 Assault Rifle team
= 35

Combat Companies

Bô Binh (Infantry) Company
1 Cmd AK47 Assault Rifle team
12 AK47 Assault Rifle team
9 B40 team
2 Type 58 LMG team
= 525

Bô Binh (Infantry) Company
12 AK47 Assault Rifle team
6 B40 team
2 Type 58 LMG team
= 525

Bô Binh Mortar Company
6 Type 53 82mm mortar
1 Observer AK47 Assault Rifle team
= 140
Support Companies

Divisional Recoilless Gun Company
6 Type 65 82mm recoilless gun

Front Artillery Company
1 Staff team
1 Observer AK47 Assault Rifle team
6 M46 130mm gun
= 300

Divisional Anti-air Company
3 61K M1939 37mm gun
= 80

Local Resistance
Confident Trained
6 Resistance team
= 150

Booby Traps
8 Booby Trap
= 80
Tour of Duty Book - PAVN Vietnam - Platoon Count: 7 POINTS: 2000

My ANZAC New Zealanders:
Rifle Company (NZ)
Confident Veteran Infantry Company
POINTS - 1000

Headquarters
Rifle Company HQ (NZ)
2 Cmd M16 Rifle team
1 Medic team
= 55

Combat Platoons

Rifle Platoon (NZ)
1Cmd SLR team
6 SLR team
= 230

Rifle Platoon (NZ)
1 Cmd SLR team
6 SLR team
= 230

Support Platoons

Tank Platoon
2 Centurion Mk 5
= 350

Cavalry Troop
Fearless Veteran
2 M113 with T50 turret
1 M113 with M74C turret
= 135

Tour of Duty Book - ANZAC Vietnam - Platoon Count: 4

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Demo -> Michael's 'Nam Demo

Post  |marauder| on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Michael’s Tour of Duty Demo
June 16th, 2016
By Lance Mathew

Michael, while on his trip to Japan, contacted me that when he got back he wanted to get into the Vietnam era of Flames of War. Michael and I set up a night and let Tramp’s know that we would be invading the store for that evening. I contacted our local group of ‘Nam to bring 1,000 points lists for the evening. Everyone was excited to head back in the jungle!

Michael chose the Assault Boats from the Brown Water Navy Book, Chris brought his Chuppas, and I assembled my ANZAC. Meanwhile, Matt was unable to attend as he was doing his radio show, Sean showed up with his VC and Jace filled in with PAVN [since the Nationalists were down a player Jace also had a 2k list].

We tried the Upriver Mission for the first time – it is very similar to Search and Destroy. I screwed up using too small of river and streams that I had brought for terrain – things worked out okay but… also thinking I am going to need taller bridges. Another issue was Chris rolled for Elephant Grass and came up with a one – very little cover! All those trees and brush now became even more important especially with all the local resistance half in boats and half on the ground reporting the Free Worlds’ troop movements. I knew we were going to be hit by a lot of artillery from nearby Laos!

For deployment we had Chris flying high, Michael occupying the centre of the river, and my ANZAC were hunkered down in da bush near an objective. The Upriver Mission has the Nationalists having the first turn. Jace was able to roll in a single PAVN company while Sean was not able bring any of his VC forces to the table.  Jace used his local resistance to spot for all his off board artillery parks. Michael was pretty much a sitting duck and one of his targeted boats was near my ANZAC platoon! Jace ranged in several times bailing my koala (nickname given to the Centurion Main Battle tank by the ANZAC infantry) and wounding two teams, Michael’s boat was also hit but he made his saves. On the Free Worlds’ turn - Michael sent his boats both up and down the river as well as his SEALs sprang into action, Chris dropped a HueyCobra and Loach out of the sky, and I moved my troops cautiously towards a nearby objective (as a point of note: the objective cannot be taken or searched until turn two). Michael, flamed a few PAVN RPG teams and MG’d a pile more. Chris swooped in and caught the other side of that PAVN company. Even though the crossfire was extreme Jace motivated the remains (have to love Fearless forces). I was unable to fire a shot, however my medic team was unable to save one of my wounded so my force lost a team.

Turn two for the Nationalists saw no large infantry companies arrive but several snipers and an Anti-Aircraft platoon popped out like jackrabbits! The AA platoon knocked Chris helos out of the sky and the snipers with no ANZAC to shoot at snapped off a couple of shots at the newly arrived SEALs – killing one team! Again more artillery hit Michael’s boats but only managed to damage one. Turn two for the Free Worlds’ brought the revenge of the helos with more helicopters! Chris blasted Jace’s AA platoon, Michael kept chewing at the remains of Jace’s company, and I successfully searched the nearby objective.

With a late start and so many players we figured two turns was our limit. Looking at two downed helos and only one objective my assumption was that it was a Nationalist victory – but again I would be in error. Searching an objective is worth two points and killing two helos is only one point (total) – a narrow Free Worlds’ Propaganda victory!  

A quick short game with lots of smiling faces was a good sign. Even better was Michael suggesting we should play a big ‘Nam game at his garage and make it a BBQ event. And, like I always have said, ‘”Nam is the FoW beer and pretzel game” – now just have to get me some pretzels!

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top