Kingdom of Equitaine

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kingdom of Equitaine

Post  nathanr on Wed May 11, 2016 11:45 am

I've been struggling to find a list that I like for the former Bretonnians but I think I'm going to give this a go:

Paladin on a barded royal pegasus
Heroic killing blow virtue
Questing Vow (giving him multiple wounds (2) vs Large targets, immunity to fear, and the ability to use a shield with his great weapon)
Crusaders Helm (brings him down to a 1+ armour save which is rerollable and immune to lethal strike)

Paladin on a barded warhorse
Battle Standard
Grail Vow (+1 WS, immune to psychology, Magical attacks, Ward Save 5+)
Piety virtue (unit's ward save increased by +1 to a maximum of 5+)
Talisman of Roland (no stand and shoot against his unit, unit's ward save vs non-magical shooting increases by +1 to a maximum of 4+)
Armour of Percival (his ward save is increased by +1 to a maximum of 4+, immune to divine attacks)

Damsel (level 2) - not sure which lore to give - wilderness, nature, heavens or white
Barded Warhorse

Damsel (level 2) - again, not sure of the lore
Barded Warhorse

10 Peasant Bowmen - Bowmen's Stakes
8 Knights of the Realm - Full command
8 Knights of the Realm - Full command
11 Knights Aspirant - Full command

3 Pegasus Knights - Full command, Devastating charge, Barding, War Banner
6 Questing Knights - Full Command, Hedge Knights (Scout, vanguard, strider (forest))
5 Yeoman Outriders - Musician, Shields, Light armour

The Green Knight
Siege War Machine - Trebuchet
Siege War Machine - Trebuchet

Lots of mobility, some dirty tricks in the form of the ambushing ethereal green knight and scouting questing knights, decent fast cavalry and flying guys, solid shooting between the archers and the trebuchets and then I still have 3 good lance formations and some magic.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kingdom of Equitaine

Post  Kal on Wed May 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Whats the Green Knight do?

Is that the same general u brought to the tourney? He was a scarry dood

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Is the green knight just your own creation? I did not see any special character in the books :\

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 11, 2016 2:16 pm

It is a rare choice. A single ethereal knight with a great weapon, paired weapons, weapons master, otherworldly, unstable, magical attacks, ambush, lord-level stats, and a better horse. All for the low, low price of 210 points.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Scouting Questing knights sound cool. I'm torn on the Green Knight; boo on having no shame with special characters, but how do you not put that model on the table?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 pm

It isn't a special character. It is a generic spirit guardian of a sacred place. It is as close to a monster as you can get in an army dedicated to killing monsters.

I like the scouting questing knights too. I especially like that they can vanguard too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Fair enough. Love how you slipped the word "generic" in there. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 11, 2016 5:47 pm

I absolutely love what they did with the old Bretonnnians, they were my very first army, gets a fellow thinking....... Scouting knights seems very powerful, is there a rule preventing them from charging on turn1.

The list looks solid, maybe a bit weaker on magic defence, I take it the 4+ ward save knights are gone now?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 11, 2016 9:13 pm

I think if you vanguard or scout you can't charge turn 1 if you go first.

Yep, it got changed to 5++ vs close combat and 4++ vs shooting.  The 4++/3++ was a little overpowered.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:22 pm

So I made a list with the intention of making something that I wouldn't normally take. I maybe succeeded?

Lords:
Duke on barded warhorse, virtue of renown, questing vow, shield, crystal ball, armour of Perceval, fleshrender

Heroes:
Damsel, level 2 (wilderness or white), essence of a free mind
Paladin with BSB on barded warhorse, shield, grail vow, Lance, virtue of piety, hero sword, talisman of Roland, dragon scale helm
Castellan with shield, sword of strength, rousing orator

Core:
6 crusaders with heavy armour and full command
8 crusaders with heavy armour and full command
11 crusaders with heavy armour and full command
10 peasant bowmen
10 Brigands

Special:
5 knights of the quest, hedge Knights
5 yeoman outriders with shields and light armour
24 peasant crusaders with full command and paired weapons

Rare:
The green knight
2 trebuchets
Sacred Reliquary

25 bow shots and 2 trebs gives me a decent shooting base, a big frenzied stubborn infantry unit with hatred, extra rank and re rolling 1's to wound should give me a solid anchor. The 3 units of crusaders have frenzy and thunderous charge so they'll hit hard, even harder with the 2 characters. My magic is light but with the choice of two lores I can hopefully tailor it to my specific needs. 2 scouting units and an ambushing monster will hopefully throw my opponents for a loop, especially the scouting questing Knights. This might be my onslaught list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 am

This looks like a tight list. the Peasant Crusaders look like fun. No way to squeeze in a lvl 1 scroll caddy to just get the Signature Wilderness spell and give you a 5+ Channel?

Heh i find it funny that in a Bret army the Legendary Green Knight doesnt have a lance. Just a Greatweapon and Paired Weapons lol.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:48 am

He has never had a lance.  Just the dolorious blade gifted him by the lady of the lake (Excalibur).  I have zero extra points, I could drop a unit of archers but then where would I put the scroll caddy?  Maybe I could shuffle some things around, I'll figure something out.

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 am

Yeah i just picture him with a Lance for some reason lol

It was just an idea, i think a lvl 1 Damsel with a scroll clocks in at 95 points.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Looks like a cool list, double trebs will be nasty.

I'm looking forward to see what they are running for lists in Edmonton with the 9th-age.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:28 pm

I agree, hopefully the win at all costs guys are more into Age of Sigmar.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:00 am

I looked at KoE lists on the 9th age forums and they look nothing like mine. Apparently nobody takes peasant crusaders, instead their sacred reliquaries are pushed by peasant levy hordes. Also my Lord doesn't have the same magic item/equipment/vow combo that everyone else seems to take. I'm ok with that. I'd rather play with something I like, have fun and lose than take the go-to netlist, be disliked and win.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 am

Agreed, i havent even looked at a single army list for 9th online yet. I build what i like and maybe it works, maybe it doesnt lol. Skrew net lists

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:15 pm

I agree. Play what you want! I always look at others army lists, including the ETC, (which should NOT be used as a barometer as those lists are designed with a group purpose in mind). THEN, I realize that most of the 9th lists I see posted are made by 14 year olds using theory hammer - that they read using theory hammer from another 14 year old.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 am

So I fixed up my list a bit but one big thing I haven't decided yet is which variation of the blessing I should take. I have 2 options:

The blessing is a 6+ ward save which is increased to 5+ vs either hits that are S5 or greater OR hits that are armour piercing. Problem is, I can't decide that on a game to game basis. I need to decide that up front and put it in my army list. I've always just defaulted to the S5+ because that is what I know.

What do you think? Stick with the higher strength or should I switch to protect myself against armour piercing? I feel like AP is going to be more prevalent at this tournament with 3 Dwarf armies, 4 wood elf armies and 2 Empire armies. That's half the tournament right there. Most war machines have armour piercing as does most of the shooting that I'm going to be worried about. Close combat is where most of the higher strength attacks come and maybe that is where I need the blessing the most. My low initiative is a problem because I need as many attacks as I can get on the charge so I need to survive the first hits in order to get my lance attacks in.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 am

I automatically want to say use the str 5 ward save, just str 3 stuff with great weapons, most characters etc. BUT on the other hand keep in mind Spears are gonna get Killing Blow against your knights, AP6. and if there are alot of str 3 humans or elves with spears then you wont get the str 5 ward save and they will killing blow you to death with the deadly AP 6. So i think if the tourney looks Empire / Elf filled then lots of AP there and anything dwarven with black powder has AP as well... So i havent been any help at all Smile try it out next 3 games, then switch back.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 am

One of my units and all my characters are going to have the 5+ ward regardless so really it's just 3 units of knights that need to worry about this but it's a pretty big decision. I think I'm going to stick with the S5+ bonus for now. Maybe it'll come back to bite me in the tournament but then I'll have learned my lesson I guess.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 am

In response to Sean's question in the plan and report thread:

Kal wrote:That sounds like a very eggs in one basket unit Nathan, no way you can spread the characters out? Im trying to limit my units to 1 character each

Originally I had my characters spread out but one of the benefits of having crusaders is that if the entire unit is made up of crusaders they can reroll failed charges.  If I put a character in each unit then I'm paying for an ability that I'm not using.

The BSB also gives his unit a 4+ ward vs shooting and a 5+ ward in combat as well as no stand and shoot reaction against it so it made sense to put my general there.  The wizard is there because if I'm going to put all my eggs in one basket I want to make sure that magical support is close at hand (plus she gives the unit MR(1)).  It all adds up to over 900 victory points (with the bonuses for banners and killing the general/bsb) but it is a very tough nut to crack, especially if I screen it with the other two units of knights.

I also put the war banner on them but I might change that to give their horses impact hits.  Thoughts?  It would be 3 extra S6 hits on the charge but I like the guaranteed combat resolution from the war banner, especially in rounds that I don't charge.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:44 am

Well sounds like you have thought it out. Sounds well planned to me. MR 1 is nice and the keeping rerolled failed charges is key for lances.

IMO id go war banner over the impact. Impacts seem awesome and are awesome but if you dont get them then they are just a waste of points. On the other hand you pritty much always want to charge so you could argue if your not charging your losing anyways... as brets atleast

Wouldnt they be only str 4 impact hits? strength as user but u wouldnt get the bonus from the weapon, even if it was GW, Lance etc?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

If the whole unit has impact hits then each full rank behind the first adds +1 S. Also Bretonnian warhorses have Thunderous Charge. So S3 base becomes S4 plus 2 full ranks = S6. Add a +1S/+1T spell and it becomes S7.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Oh solid! but still not a fan of only getting 3 of them, regardless of the strength.

Which banner is cheaper? the War Standard is 15 points

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:48 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top