FoW Regina Rifles Regionals = April 23rd - 24th

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FoW Regina Rifles Regionals = April 23rd - 24th

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Completely agree, great tournament. I had a bunch of fun and couldn't wait to start planning new lists.

The time limit issue had me pissed off though. In my 4th game my opponent asked to start another turn (he was hoping to make a last dash for an objective......I was sitting at 5-2 at this point). We had only 5 minutes left in the time limit and you agreed with him to continue the game. It ended with him having 6 and 1/2 turns and myself with only 6, plus the game ended 4-3 for myself.

There should be a strict time limit policy, finish the turn you are on when 10 minutes is called and THATS IT.

We stood around for over an hour waiting for the tournament results while players were allowed to continue play for an hour over the time limit.

Sportsmanship was an issue to myself as well. I believe the tournament was scored 80% win and 20% sportsmanship. I was unlucky enough to face 2 opponents I would not want to play again....ever. I feel sportsmanship should be given more weight with what I saw at the tournament.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:41 am

I don't envy someone putting together an event - especially one as big as this but Lance did a great job. (Sean Froc too) great and quick responses to rules questions.

sportsmanship are always an issue. 1-5 isn't a good enough spread as everyone gets "4-5's" except Texas Man. 1-10 is better and ranking your opponents 1-5 is best. You are forced to give a 1. He may still have been a great opponent but the other 4 were just slightly better.

The Highs:

- Had a blast (Man, this is such a great game) almost all of the guys in the room were awesome and I would invite to a gaming weekend anytime - except for the fellow from Texas that was obviously raised wrong. Someone needs to talk to his parents as they did a horrible job raising him. I almost used my Daddy voice on him a few times and PRAYED that I would play him just to "make his day"

Tables looked cool and coming from Warhammer, it's actually refreshing to see tables covered in terrain. Visually makes the game even more engaging.

The Lows:

- Texas Man. In all sincerity, he needs to be sent a letter explaining that his behaviour can't be tolerated. You risk losing 29 other players because of one fellow - not a good trade. Every single person talked about him during the weekend which just brings the morale of the event down - and you can't risk that.

- Timed games. This was the big contention of Sunday (mentioned by practically everyone that felt they had a voice). When time is called, the game is over unless both players can agree there is enough time to each play one last turn depending on who had first turn. That's it. As in - THAT'S IT. Almost every single player felt cheated or bitter or even slightly guilty as we finished our games accordingly and had to watch (I mean waste time waiting) for other players to finish (argue) who are no more deserving than the last place player.

Some players have a long way to travel. If Sunday has 2 games, start them at 9 and wrap them up. Hand out prizes and get everyone on their way. It's crazy that first game is 10 AM and people are still standing around close to 5PM. Also take group pictures when the event starts to make sure you don't miss people leaving early.

Excellent event, awesome game and I will sincerely attend every mid and late war event I can. Big thanks to Lance and the effort he puts into this game and community

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am

Carson wrote:

The time limit issue had me pissed off though. In my 4th game my opponent asked to start another turn (he was hoping to make a last dash for an objective......I was sitting at 5-2 at this point). We had only 5 minutes left in the time limit and you agreed with him to continue the game. It ended with him having 6 and 1/2 turns and myself with only 6, plus the game ended 4-3 for myself.

There should be a strict time limit policy, finish the turn you are on when 10 minutes is called and THATS IT.
And, this is my failing - my apologies; this is a major issue I will address with both myself and all players in future tournaments.
Carson wrote:
Sportsmanship was an issue to myself as well. I believe the tournament was scored 80% win and 20% sportsmanship. I was unlucky enough to face 2 opponents I would not want to play again....ever. I feel sportsmanship should be given more weight with what I saw at the tournament.
In tournaments past I have scored sportsmanship higher and at other tournaments completely thrown it out the window. I am disappointed that you had to deal with such poor sports. However, I did mention during the briefing on Saturday I wanted to hear issues of poor sportsmanship as they arose.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

squalie wrote:
- Timed games.  This was the big contention of Sunday (mentioned by practically everyone that felt they had a voice).  When time is called, the game is over unless both players can agree there is enough time to each play one last turn depending on who had first turn.  That's it.  As in - THAT'S IT.  Almost every single player felt cheated or bitter or even slightly guilty as we finished our games accordingly and had to watch (I mean waste time waiting) for other players to finish (argue) who are no more deserving than the last place player.
Completely my fault - as I mentioned in Carson's response I will fix this in future events. Probably with trial and error but I will get this issue fixed (eventually).
squalie wrote:
 Some players have a long way to travel.  If Sunday has 2 games, start them at 9 and wrap them up.  Hand out prizes and get everyone on their way.  It's crazy that first game is 10 AM and people are still standing around close to 5PM.  Also take group pictures when the event starts to make sure you don't miss people leaving early.
Now, in hindsight we should have gotten going at 9am and gotten everyone out sooner. My mistake and I will certainly own that. However, the sheer amount of times I had to run around the room chasing players for score sheets slowed both days down to a colossal snails pace.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am

Meanwhile - I certainly hope you guys had a great couple of days of gaming.
I also want to thank you for attending and making the event a success!
Also, I am sincerely taking all of your constructive criticisms and will act on them to correct for all my future events; my apologies that they were an issue at all.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am

No worries Lance, the good points of the weekend far outweighed the bad. It was a great venue (even though it cost you more than expected) and 95% of the players were good to play against. I enjoyed all my games, even the 6-1 losses. Those games were perhaps less fun but I wouldn't call my opponents bad sports, they took lists that seemed custom-made to destroy mine and they were much better at the game than I am. Had I been slightly more intelligent with my deployment in both games I might have had a better chance in both of those games as well.

However, losing those two games put me down into the fun bracket of the tournament for Sunday so it all worked out. I might have to try losing earlier next time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Now, in hindsight we should have gotten going at 9am and gotten everyone out sooner. My mistake and I will certainly own that. However, the sheer amount of times I had to run around the room chasing players for score sheets slowed both days down to a colossal snails pace

The way to fix that fixes the other problem. At the end of every round, when time is called (and strictly enforced) .....everyone is done and free to hand on their sheets. You then proclaim (in a loud voice) that the next round doesn't begin until all sheets are handed in. It's the stragglers that cause this issue also.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:07 pm

nathanr wrote:No worries Lance, the good points of the weekend far outweighed the bad.  .
Glad to hear/read that!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 pm

squalie wrote:

The way to fix that fixes the other problem. At the end of every round, when time is called (and strictly enforced) .....everyone is done and free to hand on their sheets. You then proclaim (in a loud voice) that the next round doesn't begin until all sheets are handed in.  It's the stragglers that cause this issue also.  
Conversely - there was another issue that you are missing that does come up - and I am pretty did - slow play. I will own up to not calling time and pressing the issue but I will share with you what was also happening that colored my choice at that moment - I had three tables that I am pretty sure were being slow played on -> why because of the look on their faces when I told them to finish up. Which infuriated me to no end. Now, that being said I will own that as well. And, I had said in my brief that I would take points away for that happening. But, instead I choose to allow another round.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:22 pm

That is a much, much harder issue to deal with. Some people are just slower than others. I think maybe you erred in the wrong direction on this one Lance. I think a timely-run tournament is going to benefit the majority of the players, possibly at the expense of one or two players who felt that they were "slow played". Regardless, you made it clear in the tournament rules that slow play would not be tolerated, and then instead of not tolerating it you forced everyone to have to endure it while we waited for those games to finish up.

Basically, call time. If anyone complains, figure out what the issue is and deal with it in the break or once the next round has started.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:23 pm

I had a ton of fun so no big worries.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Reults:
Regina Rifles Regionals 4/23/2016 5
Player Name Army Position
Bradford Stretton Soviet 1
Danny Heikkinen Soviet 1
Stephen Beauchamp Hungarain 3
Dana Madsen German 4
Tim Miller German 5
Lance Mathew German 6
Shawn Morris German 7
Scott Miller German 8
Bryan Koches US 9
Geoff Cameron British 10
Al Stretton British 11
Kip Kyle Canadian 12
Don Matwe British 13
Igor Pavlovskii German 14
Chris Mueller German 15
Stephen Peters US 16
Brody Mazurick German 17
Carson Gallant German 18
Tyler Hutchinson Soviet 19
Nathan Rinholm British 20
Stephane Verreault German 20
Rob Duchene Soviet 22
Torey Agarand German 23
Howard Nason German 24
Doug Amelia US 25
Jarrod Daunheimer German 25
Chris Good German 25
Kyle Stevens US 25
Michael Yule British 25
Matt Valgardson Canadian 30

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:07 pm

nathanr wrote:That is a much, much harder issue to deal with.  Some people are just slower than others.  I think maybe you erred in the wrong direction on this one Lance.  I think a timely-run tournament is going to benefit the majority of the players, possibly at the expense of one or two players who felt that they were "slow played".  Regardless, you made it clear in the tournament rules that slow play would not be tolerated, and then instead of not tolerating it you forced everyone to have to endure it while we waited for those games to finish up.

Basically, call time.  If anyone complains, figure out what the issue is and deal with it in the break or once the next round has started.
Fair enough - I tend to agree with you...but also wanted to let you know other things that were happening. Not sure Tim would agree with your assessment.
But again - I will certainly do my best in the future.
I have a new idea I want to try for the next tournament and we will see how that goes.
-> it is a large digital alarm clock with a loud timer...

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Yeah, I want to make clear that the good, far, far outweighed the bad. Having run many tournaments I found it essential to get feedback on what could be improved, hence my comments. Thanks fro running so many great events Lance and I can't wait for the next one.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:08 am

Carson wrote:Yeah, I want to make clear that the good, far, far outweighed the bad. Having run many tournaments I found it essential to get feedback on what could be improved, hence my comments. Thanks fro running so many great events Lance and I can't wait for the next one.
Awesome - very happy to hear that!
And, I do want you to know I do very much appreciate the feedback - and more importantly I intend on acting on it.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top