Some board games I'm playing, or have played. Etc...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some board games I'm playing, or have played. Etc...

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:44 am

Just thought I'd throw a quick note out there on some of the board games and such I've been playing and some thoughts. Wouldn't mind getting some discussion going on some games like this.

Marvel: Legendary. This is a card based deck building game. It is NOT a ccg. This is currently my fav game, got all the expansions some are better than others. Strongly recommend this! An easy 9/10 from me.

Game of Thrones Board game. From Fantasy flight this is the best game to play with 5 people. Very, very strong game, my fav ever. 10/10

Smallworld. The biggest piece of shit overrated game I've planned in a long goddamn time. I can't say enough shitty things about this. I'm gonna slap a 3/10 on it. Fans of this game make me shake my head. What would someone need to be used to playing to enjoy this stinker? Fuck a smallworld in it's face.

Mall of Horror. I think this is an OOP zombie game that has a pretty cool set of mechanics. When the zombies come, who dies is decided by player vote. Pretty cool, very quick and fun. Very well designed! 8/10

Dust Tactics. What a fuckin' shame. This is the very first boxed set I've ever opened up and said "My god! This is awesome!" The mini's came assembled with the exception of the baddass walkers which are designed for plugging in different weapon options. The production value is off the chain son! I went out and bought a couple xpansions before I even played this game. Then I played it. It is in fact unplayable. The worst game I've maybe ever played. No, scratch that, Supremacy is the worst. This is a nightmare waste of a super cool setting and bad ASS mini's. 1/10. The worst. It's going to be for sale soon so hopefully someone buys it off me just for the awesome mini's. There is a tabletop wargame version I bought that might make it playable. That'd be a treat!

World in Flames. I just wanted to add that I've never played this, and never will. It's been described as a "Lifestyle game" that lets you play WWII in what amounts to basically a real time event. Big, detailed, cardboard counters till 60 Tuesdays from now. I'm sure it's good but this game is the VERY reason computer games need to be used in place of a tabletop game. Toooooo much game for this guy! Gonna be for sale though.

War of the Ring. FFG does the big MIddle Earth grand scale war of the ring. This game is awesome. It's very, very interesting and took a couple play trough's for myself and Ryan Glover to be comfortable with the rules. It comes complete with a feeling of UTTER FUCKING HOPELESNESS as the good guys once setup is complete. It truly looks like the end of times. An amazing game, great mechanics, stupendous. This is a two player deal. I picked up and expansion which doubles as a stand alone game I haven't tried yet but this game is the cat's ass. 10/10. If you've got a regular gaming buddy and have a spot you can leave a game set up I'd jump on this shit. Played through probably 4 times, good has never one but been very close three of the games. And never the same game it seems. Like I say great mechanics, a little unwieldy with the rules in some instances. NOT a pick up and play game but worth the investment.

Just a couple thoughts. Anyone else out there playing anything?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some board games I'm playing, or have played. Etc...

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey. Thanks for posting this. Ivebeen meaning to pick up A few of these types of games for casual get together,s but had no idea what titles were good.

I could always recommend a advanced squad leader, but that is a massive game system based on platoon/company level comba t in world war 2. It's not a casual game to play on a Saturday night, but it is freaking awesome for die hard ww2 fans.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:59 am

I played Star Wars risk the other day, it was ok. I played 2 games of it and I had pretty much had my fill of it though. I'd give it a 6/10.

I don't play too many board games these days. Daniel brought home a Pokemon card that one of his friends gave him at school so now he wants to get into that shit. Maybe that marvel card game would be better, I should try to get him into that instead.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Beauty thing about Marvel Legendary is it's a Co-Op game. So playing with the family let's you to legally look at their cards and help make decisions together. It's a great game for that!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:14 pm

I find board gaming a strange phenomenon. I have zero interest in board games, as in zero - which is why I'm fascinated with why someone would learn a whole new ruleset every time they sat at a table. Seems an incredible waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that people have a passion for whatever they like, I just don't have an interest.

I do have to admit that I have very fond memories of the countless times I've played Risk and Axis and Allies.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:10 pm

I like games in general. All different kinds. I like the competitive strategy of a 2 man wargame. I like even more the interactive element of a 5 man war game.

Board games vs. a hobby game like beloved warhammer is quite a thing I think. Where a board game might look nice enough with their elements of playing pieces and a board etc. to evoke a really cool setting it's something you just put in a box when you're done and you mostly forget about until next time. The hobby game of course gives you a reason to always be working it so to speak. Either painting and collecting mini's or putting a new ruleset together, talking about the latest army book or ruleset, there's always something you can actively engage in to link you to the game that you can do privately.

I find it odd that you'd have zero interest in board games Don. Seems quacky to have a guy who likes comics, video games, mini games, but skips over the board games entirely.

Another aspect I find liberating about a board game is myself or a buddy can see a game on a shelf, pick it up, and a day or a week later as time permits we can all be playing it. AND, if it's no good you're out the 50 bucks or so but no more. Now with youtube it's even easier to learna new game as there's usually a 30min youtube video featuring some d-list celebs teaching how to play the game.

Conversely a group of us are putting together skirmish warbands for a post apoc game galled "This is not a test". I think we all got a hold of the rules in early November, maybe October? Anyway of the half dozen of us most finally HAVE the mini's for warbands in our possession. Fewer yet have put paint to them, and of the group only one game has been played so far. And we haven't made piece one for terrain yet.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is all negative as it still represents people actively seeking minis, buying them, slowly painting them and having fun in the name of the game but the time frame to get things rolling so to speak is ridiculous vs. a board game.

We got together yesterday and from about we played 3 different games a couple times each. We had to learn to play 2 of the three for the first time and the third was an old standby (Last night on earth, tons of fun!). And that was 6 guys all getting to participate at the same time.

That's quite a different experience then you'd find in a day of mini gaming.

I'd give a board game a shot Don!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm the first one to admit that me not liking board games is odd. It comes down to partly; being totally selfish with my free time and if I have a choice of the games I USED to play, still play and paint and some of the other things I do OR continually learning and playing a board game - board games will always come last. Since I only have a finite amount of time each week, in theory I'll never get to board games. The other part is I HATE, HATE learning new rules. HAAAATE it. I've watched the Regina club roll out a dozen board games and half the day is learning said new board game, just to do it all over again next week. Totally not my thing. You all know I'm the asshole that would sit slumped in his chair complaining the whole time, moaning "boooorrrriiiiiing" until someone punched me out.

AGAIN, keep in mind I'm a little fascinated myself that I have little interest in board games. It's weird. They Look cool, but as much as I get creeped out with the social status of mini gamers, I get completely freaked out when I'm surrounded by boarders. Elitist I know, but fuck it - it's how I feel. Just doesn't seem to be my crowd.

Now, having said THAT, if I had a bunch of familiar faces walking me through a game for an afternoon, I'm sure I'd enjoy it - but it would mean that I couldn't find any other game going on that day.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:13 am

Ok, I've put some thought into this. Why not bring 1-2 of your fave games to Carson's and we'll try it out? Also, on the not-so-uncommon weekend that I come up for FoW or 9th, etc gaming, I would stay in for an evening of board games - after Steak of course.

You let me know when the dudes are getting together for board games and I'll set aside some time to explore this world. I think I'm being too judgemental.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Yeah all right, we'll see if we can't expand your horizons. I don't know about Carson's though. I think there'll likely be too many people. But we'll see what's what!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:20 pm

I would be in for some board games. I don't have a full army to play ninth and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet anyway.

I have not played may new games but one a played a while back that I recommend is mage knight. Is kind d of a team play game but you don't need to play as a team. Points of the game us to take over city's and mill monsters. It's been a while since I played it but u remember it was a good time

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Good post Scott. I have that game of thrones game and I was super excited to play it, but I have not cracked it open yet.
If you need a spare player for a game some day let me know.

Other games/distractions/money sucks- any one going to get into the warhammer computer game -total war: war hammer?

https://www.totalwar.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4siz1KrnO0

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm all over that as soon as its released Dean. Big fan of the total war series.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:15 pm

So what is total war? RTS or turn based with animation?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Rts

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Then that's a big no can do from my end. I cannot play RTS for shit. just not my thing.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:57 am

ScottRadom wrote:

Dust Tactics.  What a fuckin' shame.  This is the very first boxed set I've ever opened up and said "My god!  This is awesome!"  The mini's came assembled with the exception of the baddass walkers which are designed for plugging in different weapon options.  The production value is off the chain son!  I went out and bought a couple xpansions before I even played this game.  Then I played it.  It is in fact unplayable.  The worst game I've maybe ever played.  No, scratch that, Supremacy is the worst.  This is a nightmare waste of a super cool setting and bad ASS mini's.  1/10.  The worst.  It's going to be for sale soon so hopefully someone buys it off me just for the awesome mini's.  There is a tabletop wargame version I bought that might make it playable. That'd be a treat!

Really? That is shame as I don't know how many times I looked at it and said..."maybe next time I will pick up a ____"

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 pm

No... it's actually really good... if you're looking to buy a copy from me that IS!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:32 am

ScottRadom wrote:No... it's actually really good... if you're looking to buy a copy from me that IS!
Evil or Very Mad

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top