A Game of War

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Game of War

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Im looking for some suggestions. Im trying to come up with interesting ideas to give some armies character and definition.
My armies are
Elvish- pretty common,not high, dark or forest loving though more a combination of all but more closely linked to forest dwelling types.

Mankind- standard fantasy humans , but i want some kind of special idea to make them stand out

Dwarves- again standard fantasy army, as of right now my world doesn't have black powder some im looking to take them in a bit of a different direction but i may change my mind

Wildlings- another humanoid type race, think of something close to an alien looking being, tall elongated body and limbs. closely linked to the wild animals of the world, sort of a beast master kind of race.

Unnamed race- this would be as close to goblins as i want to get, a close cousin to the elves or even a sort of half-elf, a tragedy in there past has resulted in them being a shadow of there former glory. they live in the dark as they are really sensitive to light .

Nightmare- Kind of the story line for my game, think daemons but less about gods and more about the other races fears materializing and attacking them.

So what im looking for is things that would fit in to these armies mostly the first three as they are pretty common and im struggling to find a way to make them more interesting. any ideas you guy have would be helpful

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Game of War

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:31 am

Make the humans like Vikings. Not evil, just more shamanistic. Have them be the raiders while the elves are the main civilization of the world. That may risk having the humans be too much like the dwarfs but you could make them extremely offended-based while the dwarfs could be more defence-minded. It sounds like you've got a nature/superstition-type theme going with the "nightmares" and the "wildlings", I'd try to work that sort of thing into all the races.

Sounds like a fun project!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 am

Why not take this opportunity to shake things up and make Dwarves like crazy offensive. With tons of cool engineer type stuff. Battering Ram kind of stuff. Like these Dwarves charge into battle constantly

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:36 am

Nathan I think that's a good idea. One thing I was trying to keep out of this game is the thought of good or evil armies with the possible exception of the nightmares. I don't like how other games make that descion for you, I would rather give a story line and tllet the players decide.

Sean. I definitely could make the dwarves crazzy offensive as they are not a race on the brink of extinction in this game. As for crazy eengineer type stuff that is more of what I'm looking for but a bit more specific ☺

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:56 am

Agreed with no good or evil. Every nation for them selves. They can have good and evil within their own borders with bad kings or w.e that land has.

Ha ok, I meant like almost what Skaven and Orks have with their weird steampunk platforms and weapons teams but much more refined and functional. Also something to get them into battle quicker...

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:24 am

In a book I read once the dwarfs used a contraption they called the "Juicer" Basically a spikey steamroller that they would push down the narrow mine tunnels to clear them of goblins.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 am

nathanr wrote:In a book I read once the dwarfs used a contraption they called the "Juicer"  Basically a spikey steamroller that they would push down the narrow mine tunnels to clear them of goblins.

Oi i've read something like that, what book was that? R.A. Salvatore?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 am

I second the idea of a Viking theme for humans, and the wildling Idea is great too.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am

The book is one of the drizzt books (R. A. Salvatore). The Legacy. I think it was in a couple of the later books too.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:59 am

Well i assumed it was Drizzt Wink just didnt think Nathan read them. Plus not like Salvatore writes much else, and i knew a Orc Juicer wasnt in the Star Wars universe haha! I've read up past the Gauntlgrym trilogy but he kind of lost me with super OP Drizzt and Vampire Dwarves.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 am

I've read them all, started back in grade 9 and still going. They aren't literary masterpieces but they are fun. And don't kid yourself, Drizzt was always OP. If anything he's getting less powerful and more vulnerable as the books go on.

Anyway, back to Dom's game.

Are you looking for ideas for specific units or just themes?

Viking Humans could have Berserkers, Varangian Guard (elite bodyguard), húskarlar (your average viking warriors), Valkyries (female warriors, perhaps horse-archers or maybe you could go mythological with them and make them kind of like harpies except less evil). You could include trolls with them too if you wanted but that might make them look too evil. Norse trolls aren't quite as monstrous as fantasy trolls though so it could work (think mischievous, hairy ogres). If your game includes large monsters maybe some sort of Leviathan sea monster that can make it's way onto land for short periods of time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 am

nathanr wrote:I've read them all, started back in grade 9 and still going.  They aren't literary masterpieces but they are fun.  And don't kid yourself, Drizzt was always OP.  If anything he's getting less powerful and more vulnerable as the books go on.

Ah very cool, didnt know that. Definitely a fun read for sure a little OPness is nice. and he wasn't ALWAYS op, heck early early Drizzt got schooled by a blind ranger haha repeatedly!

Im not sure im convinced on the Viking theme. i think it limits them. Altho a more mythological blend of greek, roman, viking and celt kind of stuff, could work? Is this game going to have "gods"? and how influential are they in this world? Like as in your face as Chaos gods or more in the shadows and influence theme / style more?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:55 pm

My favorite Salvatore books are the Cleric Quintet. Lots of fun stuff in those books.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:08 pm

@ Nathan I was more looking for unit ideas then themes. I do like the idea of battle trolls for the human army though and the Viking idea is a really good one, i may just make it more of an influence in my choices rather then a full on army based around vikings. I have one problem on sea faring units right now and that probably will change and all the possible nerd haters can suck it !!

@ sean to answer your gods question... In this world there is not one but six moons! and rather then four, six distinct seasons. each of the moons is more prominent and influenced during its corresponding season....I wanted to step away from the "rival gods" a bit and put my own spin to it. im not sure how im going to go about saying each race has its own corresponding moon and not call them a Deity but ill get there, I hope....

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:27 pm

@ Nathan ALSO yes "monsters" or large creatures are a thing.
my troop types are....

Infantry, obviously most common troop pretty self explanatory. "Man sized" things on foot in different infantry formations.

Cavalry, shock troops, and i mean it. not the overpowering memories you may have of war hammer armies and their ultra cavalry of doom

beasts, this is a wide range of things that don't really fit in other categories, think ogre size

creature, here there be dragons.. literally i don't think i can leave them out, who gets them...we will see. all other manner of "things" that are large beyond reason

War engine, catapults, seize towers... dwarf things ... i haven't though up much for rules in this section beyond te catapult. i had rules for cannons to but i decided that i dint want gun powed to be a thing here.

Commanders. hero's and generals for the armies, very skilled and powerful, infantry for the most part but will have possibilities to be cavalry, ride on creatures and beasts, AND leave them as well during a game!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 pm

blizzard435 wrote:My favorite Salvatore books are the Cleric Quintet.  Lots of fun stuff in those books.

The cleric never really excited me. My all TIME fav trilogy of his was the Sellswords. SO amazing you MUST MUST read it if you haven't. Jarlaxle, Artemis and Athrogate, three of MY FAV characters. and was an awesome trilogy. Plus was nice not being uber good guy Drizzt for once. and Artemis being one of the only humans who can keep up with Drizzt is so cool. and gotta love a foul mouthed dwarf with giants strength and glass steel morning stars! And Jarlaxle by far the coolest drow with all of his badass trinkets, to bad he is dead or not Razz

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:48 pm

holy thread jack batman. books are great and all but lets try and stay focused here Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm

Sorry Dom. Just trying to make a point to these flames of war people who are thread jacking all over the place!

How are the turns in your game? Similar to fantasy now? Juat curious about magic

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Also yes books are awesome new Brandon Sanderson just came in the mail. Drool so happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:34 am

Any thoughts on undead Dom?

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:18 am

@ Sean the Game Turn works like this
1. abilities phase
2. movement Phase
3. Shooting Phase
4. Combat Phase
each player gets to make an action in each of the phases before moving on to the next one. after both players have played all 4 phases you move on to the next Game Turn. Just like in games like Warthrone.

Magic in my game is an ability, a wizard will be able to buy levels, each level increasing in point value to buy. a wizard will only be allowed to purchase a set number of levels.
here is where im still considering some things but this is mostly how it will work. each time the wizard casts a spell his level will drop one point. each spell cast has different effects based on the wizards current level. and finally a wizard may only cast one spell per Game Turn.

@ Dwayne I actually had undead as one of my original army choices. the problem i had with this is i have never fully understood why all undead armies were only human in a world that had lots of different races. why is their no undead dwarves or elves ? i wanted to have this in my game. then i got to thinking how this army would look, it would essentially be cherry picked units from each of the other races brought back to life. I just dint see the army being a good choice, awesome in story but bad in play. also pop culture has ruined the undead for me.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

Its because, humans with their short life spans are the only ones who are ever drawn to Necromancy. THE PROMISE OF IMMORTALITY. Sell my short lived soul for eternal power. Or atleast thats how ive always understood it.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:35 am

I understand that they are the ones who are drawn to necromancer, I mean why don't you see skeletons of other races or zombies. Elves still die, and I feel no matter how pure they may have been In life their bodies can be tainted and used for the necromancer's purposes

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Kuyp wrote:I understand that they are the ones who are drawn to necromancer,  I mean why don't you see skeletons of other races or zombies. Elves still die, and I feel no matter how pure they may have been In life their bodies can be tainted and used for the necromancer's purposes

"A common example of an undead being is a corpse re-animated by supernatural forces by the application of the deceased's own life force or that of another being (such as a demon)."

This is what ive always thought of undead and zombies in general. you still gotta put something in the drivers seat to make the meat suit work. A elf spirit would not work. And in general fantasy lore Dwarves are pretty incorruptable by evil, LoTR the rings dont corrupt them, etc etc hence my earlier comment about being angry that R.A. Salvatore turned a dwarf into a Vampire.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 pm

In the end times books, Tyrion could raise up elf skeletons to his aid. in Eberron, the elven court (rulers) are all undead. Lots of undead elves around in fantasy.

I think the concept of undead for other races could be interesting to explore. I would love to have some dwarf sized skeletons (or zombies) in my ranks!

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top