2016 Painting Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2016 Painting Challenge

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

So LETS DO IT! Motivate some chumps to paint (P.S. you guys are the chumps) but... dont really know if it should be a rewarded competition like before but i think we need something to help push some people to paint. So who wants to try this boys? Anything at all, no need to set a limitation. 2 / 3 rank and file what ever you can do, lets just see some paint on some plastic.

Im going to try and finish 5 Dark Angel Space Marines for January! and Start a new project, going to try and pin / magnetize my Dreadnought arms on so i can change them... Maybe ill try painting it before i build it? think that would be easier?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Painting Challenge

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm painting Flames of War at the moment and it is soul-draining. I think I'll be done what I want to get done by the end of the week though so maybe once I finish that I'll start up on my "paint it for the fun of painting" project.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I have a woldwrath from hordes I will enter

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:37 am

nathanr wrote:I'm painting Flames of War at the moment and it is soul-draining.  
How so?
I just finished working on a unit of Dai Doi Dac Cong - I was just supposed to base them for a friend. I ended up adding flames to the flamethrowers!

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:37 am

Its soul draining because it is monotonously boring, no freedom. Like i cant roll up in some modified Chaos Khorne Tanks all red and covered in blood with giant gold chaos emblems everywhere... i ASSUME that would be frowned upon?

Altho Nurgle Rot and Ryza Rust all over a Sherman might look sexy... Nurgle Canadians anyone?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:40 am

Kal wrote:Its soul draining because it is monotonously boring, no freedom. Like i cant roll up in some modified Chaos Khorne Tanks all red and covered in blood with giant gold chaos emblems everywhere... i ASSUME that would be frowned upon?

Altho Nurgle Rot and Ryza Rust all over a Sherman might look sexy... Nurgle Canadians anyone?
You can dirty them up - there is quite a bit that can be done to kit bash as well.
*Would strongly suggest you taking a look at some WWII photos for inspiration

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:15 am

See... i have a hard time agreeing with you here. because if i dont put a dood sticking out the top of one of my tanks apparently its "modeled wrong" when what if my "kit bash" i want to do is all CLOSED HATCHES with no dudes. ha

I think just from a guy who came from Fantasy and having almost complete freedom in model choice and paint colours having to switch to "real" stuff puts a limit on our modeling/painting.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:30 am

Kal wrote:See... i have a hard time agreeing with you here. because if i dont put a dood sticking out the top of one of my tanks apparently its "modeled wrong" when what if my "kit bash" i want to do is all CLOSED HATCHES with no dudes. ha

See - a kit bash in 15mm for tanks usually means stowage or actually bashing the model to reflect battle damage
As for freedom this is a historical model where you can look up the information that is real and not invented. The models cannot be made invalid because the game company decides they don't exist anymore.
As for imagination
- I have seen Pink Panthers (Panzer Vs)
- I have seen blue Ha-Chi's with Hello Kitty on them
- I have seen brown and brown Soviet tanks
So, yes it can be done but to be honest while it is done well it still looks wonky at least to me

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:52 pm

|marauder| wrote:
nathanr wrote:I'm painting Flames of War at the moment and it is soul-draining.  
How so?
I just finished working on a unit of Dai Doi Dac Cong - I was just supposed to base them for a friend. I ended up adding flames to the flamethrowers!

Painting ANY kind of historical scheme is exactly as Nathan Describes. We're all used to being the master of our own domains when it comes time to paint. Having to match up with a predetermined look is not fun.

Love FoW but can't bring myself to fully engage in painting that scale or any historical.

I'll sign up and paint something gaming related. I still make sure I paint each and every day through the winter.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top