Sean's Canadian's

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sean's Canadian's

Post  |marauder| on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Kal wrote: Hows this look?

Looks pretty good - I would certainly play it.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:41 pm

Kal wrote:I think ure right Churchills look gimicky. I just thought they could help deal with infantry in an all tank list. Ha yes attacking seems much more my style. In the one game I was defending my mind set immediately went to if I kill him completely he wont beable to attack the objectives.  So I ended up further into the attackers deployment zone then he did into my defender deployment.

Making a tank list now. I agree I want / need infantry. Dug in and gone to ground they are almost impossible to budge with range. While building my list I wanted to give the infantry a transport. But on the army builDer they all look like they do the same job... Whats the opinion on a good transport and why? Like Ram kangaroos or priests or water buffalo? And what do u pimp them out with? Sean is rly liking .50 cals... Does Sean just want Americans?
Crocs are a Churchill tank but Churchills are a different tankbreed all together.
British tanks are thought of in terms of Naval terms - Cruisers and Infantry tanks
Churchills and Crocs are slow and are referred to as Infantry tanks.
As soon as you have Crocs in your list you become Auto Attack
- sounds like Sean's style
A Breaching group also makes you Auto Attack
neither Crocs nor Breaching group can assault - not really Sean's style
Rams are great - saw the list earlier but you want to get them with Duck Bills on them

Last edited by |marauder| on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:44 pm

nathanr wrote:I think if you built for 1700 - 1800 you'd have enough stuff to be able to change up your list a bit if we are playing with lower points.  Last year the official point level for late war was 1900 points which everyone seemed to agree was too much.  This year it is 1420 which a lot of people are saying is too few.
The points for 2016 just came out - January and April's Tournaments were already announced at what I thought was going to be the tournament point level...but 1420 is this years LW total, 1700 MW, & I think 1500 EW

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Well i may or may not be in the talks for an American Tank Army... they seem more go and get em boys. Tank wise atleast... Altho i also have no clue what im talking about. But if 1420 is then atleast i have a direction

Am i going to use these shermans in my American army? if not i could just make both... or just sell these shermans... damn shouldnt have opened the cellophane.

@ Lance - yeah i rly like that list, it has all the stuff i enjoyed from the tourney and none of the stuff i didn't like silly one shot wasps.... like honestly at that point they mine as well be suicide bombers!!! Wait does this game have those?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Ok 1420... It didn't exactly feel rounded but most of what i wanted fit. not sure about Stuarts.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 pm

I think the idea behind 1420 is that it is really hard to make a well rounded list. You've done a pretty good job I think. Your 25pdrs are going to be less effective because you'll have to reroll hits with only 2 guns. The Stuart's are fun although you might be able to get enough points to round out your 25pdrs to 4 guns by dropping them and adding another 3 universal carriers instead. To save points you could give them extra hull mgs instead of the .50 cals. I'm not sure if that gets you the points you need or not but it should be close.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:57 pm

I was thinking recce is going to be important to dig out gone to ground infantry. This important because im a mostly Tank list and i dont rly want to assault troops... No? isn't that the idea?

I know i have to re roll the hits but do i have to re roll smoke? because that is my goal tbh. smoke tough stuff while im running out in the open, at least reduce casualties.

Or am i completely not getting this ....

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:20 am

I honestly don't know. The universal carriers are recce as well and aren't as well-armed so you won't be as tempted to shoot with them instead of removing gone to ground.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:45 am

Kal wrote:I was thinking recce is going to be important to dig out gone to ground infantry. This important because im a mostly Tank list and i dont rly want to assault troops... No? isn't that the idea?

I know i have to re roll the hits but do i have to re roll smoke? because that is my goal tbh. smoke tough stuff while im running out in the open, at least reduce casualties.

Or am i completely not getting this ....

You're pretty much correct. Nathan is right about the UC's. I have 4 Stuarts painted and I don't think I've ever actually used them as they're expensive compared to the UC's and I'd be tempted to use them as light tanks instead of doing the Recce job.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:15 am

nathanr wrote:I honestly don't know.  The universal carriers are recce as well and aren't as well-armed so you won't be as tempted to shoot with them instead of removing gone to ground.

To me the major differences are vast:
Fully armoured:
Question  What am I talking about? - you have not seen a lot Pioneers (infantry with fame throwers) = no save for Universal Carriers as they are open topped. But, at 1420 they might make  a big come back. Stuarts are fully armoured.
Speed:
- half tracks slow down to 4" move in rough terrain | light tanks 8"
- half tracks cannot go over barb wire | tanks were made to do so
In a pinch:
- if you need to assault half tracks are thrown back by five hits | tanks need 2 bails
- as your Recce should be on your opponents side of the board you may want to deal with Nebs from time to time either UCs or Stuarts will do the job but my Staurts have always survived it better with top armour 1 compared to none.
Just my two cents

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:44 am

Hrm... I think im going to stick with the list the way i have it. Stuarts I'll try and either love or hate them. My big deciding factor is if i can effectively smoke with two 25 pounders then im Happy.

Soo... if i want to go with that list, including the Shermans i already have is this what i would need? Also if i call Tramps can/will they order this stuff? I'm needy i know it.

BR573 - 25 pdr gun
UBX21 - M5A1 Stuart Light Tank Platoon
BR203 - Ram Kangaroo APC x2
BBX28 - Rifle Company (Plastic)
BR211 - Universal Carriers x3

I think i got everything... Except for the ever elusive Canadian Dice Tin

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:40 am

It was the smoke question that I had no idea about not the Stuarts vs. UC question.

I looked it up and yes, 2 guns can fire smoke. It creates a screen the size of 1 artillery template. 3-5 guns create a smoke screen 2 artillery templates long and 6 or more guns give you 3 templates.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 am

Perfect that is exactly what I thought. I kept double templating king tigers but I wasnt 100% confident on why. Thanks for looking up Nathan. I do supose I should buy a rule book to eh? I think im gonna give Stuart's a try... I did rly like the UC they were ignored mostly in my games but still put out alot of punishment for their points.

I think my main problem with the tourney was the dice I was lent by Don I was promised they were "hot dice" and they just didnt roll 6's all the time. Made the game alot harder Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

nathanr wrote:It was the smoke question that I had no idea about not the Stuarts vs. UC question.

I looked it up and yes, 2 guns can fire smoke.  It creates a screen the size of 1 artillery template.  3-5 guns create a smoke screen 2 artillery templates long and 6 or more guns give you 3 templates.
Whoops - sorry about that then

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:06 am

Kal wrote:Perfect that is exactly what I thought. I kept double templating king tigers but I wasnt 100% confident on why. Thanks for looking up Nathan. Wink
An option might be Mortars - they also smoke. And the smaller ones can dig in (getting concealment) - something the larger guns cannot do.
Yes, Tramp's can order that all in
- I actually have two Stuarts in blisters (meant to make them Soviets for my son Levi but he needs another 5 to make that viable) $10/each?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:32 am

I dont like mortar smoke. Kept asking about it at the tourney and wasnt getting a clear answer as to why I shouldn't be using it every turn. My mortar teams never did anything but when I wanted to remove them first as a casualty I was told not to because they were good? Again not knowing the rules is my fault but im stubborn and they left a sour taste for me.

Ou yes ill take u up on that Stuart deal! And ill call tramps Friday and order the rest... Now paint... Im hoping its not gonna be hard to find a simple paint scheme for Canadians? As I assume painting my tanks red and white is not allowed haha jk

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Canadians paint up the same as British for the most part.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Excellent. Ill look into it. What im aiming for. Because fow painting doesnt excite me but I want a presentable army. Base green solid colour no camo or anything complicated

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:30 pm

They are really easy to paint. Green base, dark brown wash and then a bit of drybrushing. Slap some decals on and you're done!

The dudes are easy too. 3 Colors and a wash is pretty much it. Not a lot of fun to paint but not difficult.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Excellent! That is the perfect amount of work, exactly what I want. Now do you guys use the Fow paint? Or still using gw stuff or?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:09 pm

I bought the british paint set, got russian uniform and green grey from vajello and then I use the GW colors for everything else I need.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:06 pm

The tanks should be painted in "Russian Uniform". Painting them what you consider green would be a more Soviet colour.

Don't put that order through with Tramps until I add to it. Also, I'm almost sure most of the stuff you want is already on the shelf. I do have to order stuff anyways, so let me know and I'll hop on.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Don is giving me the Canadian decals from his British set so sweet deal! Ok Russian uniform it is.

Alright awesome Don, ill hold off till your ready. I still have shermans that need building anyways. And The 25 pounders for sure werent in stock so I will put in an order with u when ure ready, just let me know.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Kal wrote:I dont like mortar smoke. Kept asking about it at the tourney and wasnt getting a clear answer as to why I shouldn't be using it every turn. My mortar teams never did anything but when I wanted to remove them first as a casualty I was told not to because they were good? Again not knowing the rules is my fault but im stubborn and they left a sour taste for me.

What a Face Light mortars are direct fire and part of an infantry platoon. They have a higher firepower than Rifle/MGs and can shoot over top of their own troops (avoiding Don's favorite 1" gap rule)
cat Medium Mortars are cheaper than 25 pounders (both in $ and in points) and allow cover when dug in
affraid Large mortars I think are still cheaper than 25 pounders (both in $ and in points) and have a better firepower than 25 pounders and medium mortars
- all provide smoke
Kal wrote:

Ou yes ill take u up on that Stuart deal!

Let me know when you want them - they are at my place gathering dust

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Not a great list but...mostly t illustrate the points:

Commonwealth Rifle Company HQ (1C)  
2 Cmd Rifle team
All Rifle teams equipped with Sticky Bombs
=35

Combat Platoons