The 9th Age is Upon Us

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 9th Age is Upon Us

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:57 am

How do you lose 40 skeletons in one round? Sincerely don't know...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:01 pm

In a tournament my wild riders killed a unit of 40 grave guard in a turn in a dual flank/rear charge.  The look on my opponent's face was a mix of disbelief and horror.  I felt a bit bad but it was the first tournament that I got to use the new book so I was pretty excited to see them perform.

2 units of 5 getting 3 attacks each plus 2 each for their mounts = 51 attacks. 31 of those were armour piercing S5 with ASF rerolls at WS5. I rolled insanely well and I think when the smoke cleared he had less than 10 models left and I'd won combat by about 30.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:03 pm

squalie wrote:How do you lose 40 skeletons in one round?  Sincerely don't know...

... well it was like 4 rounds... Smile

BUT STILL! WS 2 Skeletons. like whats the POINT!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Kal wrote:
squalie wrote:How do you lose 40 skeletons in one round?  Sincerely don't know...

... well it was like 4 rounds... Smile

BUT STILL! WS 2 Skeletons. like whats the POINT!

In classic warhammer 6/7 skeletons and all undead RnF had 1001 uses. None of which involved winning fights based on their stat lines. You gotta pick your spots and utilize fear and such.

Backinaday A vampire army that could magically pick and choose their charges could always make sure they were taking on a unit that had been flanked or rear charged and was outnumbered. Having a combat res of +3 ranks, +1 outnumber, and +1 or +2 for a rear or flank was only really good enough if you had a vampire or another skilled high init character to ensure you were scoring 7 or 8 points with maybe 4-5 attacks back from the enemy. When you saw a vampire guy pull that off you knew they were thinking of that from the design of their army to the first deployment.

Taking on elite infantry with skeletons even with a good dose of character support was never a good idea. If the elite opposing unit was not able to be autobroken by fear then it was a fools charge. I have no idea how many times morons would charge a unit of 20 Ironbreakers led by a dwarf lord with skeletons and be shocked that the dwarfs would win combat.

good vampire armies always had sacrificial dire wolves or bats to help screen or redirect elite opposition. Ghost swarms were great ways to mess over elite cavalry. You could always look at a VC vs. Chaos (or similar) army by around turn four and see who the better player was. If there were a bunch of units "Stuck in" in the middle of the board the chaos guy knew the score. If there were a couple units of Chaos knights or big warrior units in the corner of the table in the VC deployment zone the Vampire player was stronger.

In 8th I was non plussed at the way they handled charging decisions and combat resolutions.

In my experience playing and watching 8th edition games I don't feel it was easy or possible to look at a table and see who had the better plan and was able to execute vs. the guy who just decided to roll high that afternoon.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:04 pm

ScottRadom wrote:

In my experience playing and watching 8th edition games I don't feel it was easy or possible to look at a table and see who had the better plan and was able to execute vs. the guy who just decided to roll high that afternoon.

Pretty much that exactly....

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Dead on, 8th never was based on skill but on army design and dice rolling. Don't get me wrong, I had lots of fun playing 8th with our crew but immediately grew to dislike it in a highly competitive environment such as an out of town tournament. It was really annoying to auto loose to an army list and then have the fucktards wearing a club tee-shirt with words"the evolution of gaming" explain to you how they were the better player.

I really missed the tactics of 6th-7th warhammer. One reason why Warthrone is so attractive to me. but I get it, list building for the win has always been the more attractive version for a lot of players.

And seriously the statement of ws2 what's the point sums it up. do I really need to go into the plus side of undead.....never breaking, fear, raising, immune to psychology.....and on and on.

S ee Scott's post above.

Now, I'm looking forward to trying out 9th, maybe ta tics will become important with it....who knows. If our group decides it's the cat meow then I'm in.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Army Builder has 9th (beta) in it now.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:15 pm

So Don, I could not help but notice ogres are now Ogre Khans. Sooo Im going to need you to redo ALL of my ogre models to look like Mongolians. If you could get on that as soon as possible that would be greeeeeeat. Very Happy

Amusement aside I tinkered around with the army builder and I like what I see. I may actually have to dust off my dice sometime in the future. I think the Daemon changes interest me the most so I will have to do some repair work I SUPPOSE :\ Anywho you guys let me know how this weekend goes. If it gets the thumbs up I shall read attempt to learn the newer rules and what not, but not until this gets the green light that THIS is what we will be playing.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 pm

This is what the cool kids will be playing. Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Set all gw hurts aside its time to take our hobby back. No more on the fence 'i dont know what we are playing so i wont play anythin'. A new league with a monthly attempt at a gathering should help us out. Not sure about getting new players so lets focus on convincing our group to fall in love with the game again.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:34 pm

The Apothecary wrote:So Don, I could not help but notice ogres are now Ogre Khans. Sooo Im going to need you to redo ALL of my ogre models to look like Mongolians. If you could get on that as soon as possible that would be greeeeeeat. Very Happy

Amusement aside I tinkered around with the army builder and I like what I see. I may actually have to dust off my dice sometime in the future. I think the Daemon changes interest me the most so I will have to do some repair work I SUPPOSE :\  Anywho you guys let me know how this weekend goes. If it gets the thumbs up I shall read attempt to learn the newer rules and what not, but not until this gets the green light that THIS is what we will be playing.

I'll get on it and I promise it'll be faster than last time. Wink Frank, just read the rules and play some games - life goes on. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:41 am

I suggest everyone take a look at this as it may change how you're going to paint/build certain armies and lists for 9th edition.  It's a sneak peek of the changes current or coming to army lists.  I'm actually impressed that the changes come from the surprising amount of 9th tournaments happening.  They seem to react pretty quickly to broken builds and units.  So much so they've crushed my dreams of a Minotaur army (removed core choice Mino's, which saves me a ton of money I suppose) and made my Khorne Daemons and Franks Tzeentch Daemons a little less dominating.  They even give slight buffs to units that have not appeared in any tourney lists or are found to under perform.  

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?thread/7406-sneak-peek-at-upcoming-army-book-changes/&postID=191687#post191687

*edit* Dang, they nerfed my beautiful Swordmasters - which is actually ok. I even felt they were a little over powered.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Most of these changes are for the best I think.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:37 pm

I am going to wait to pass judgement, but after reading that "sneak peek" of theirs I am a little afraid for my tzeentch. I will happily admit after one game i could tell yeah they were in need of a nerf hit but holy hell these guys didn't mess around.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 am

Higher weapon skill on Tomb King characters... they are already WS 5/6 altho not complaining just they seemed fine where they were. I like that the new update will make BSB's viable in undead armies and let them tarpit easier.

I like that this game is getting aggressively updated when they notice problems, i just hope this doesnt get out of hand like Major updates every month would be tooo much micro management . but we will see

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 pm

It is really refreshing to have noticeable problems fixed without having to wait for a new edition or army book. I theme I noticed throughout the updates were the attempt to eliminate "auto-includes".

Quite the brilliant idea they have to watch tournaments to see what is appearing in every list and then dealing with the perceived problem.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:02 pm

I thought the same thing. Even the soft units no ones uses are adjusted to make them at least "not useless".

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:08 pm

All armybooks have been updated:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm

This... Changes... Everything. Weapon skill 7 Tomb Kings! Thy will be done mmm

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:10 am

Some interesting changes for sure. Are we using the old books for the tournament or going with the new ones? We will use the new ones effective immediately for the league.

Says the next update is in April, and it'll be version 1.0. hopefully they slow down with the updates after that.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:36 am

I agree. They're basically saying that this is the last adjustment before the 1.0 final release:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?thread/444-the-9th-age-beta-0-99-0/&postID=200909#post200909

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 am

We will use the previous rule set

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 am

The main rules have also been updated. Minor changes for the most part but the table for determining game results has changed and the point value listed is 2500. Should we stick with 2400 and the old table for the league or should I update my spreadsheet to match this new standard? It may be difficult to determine the exact win type for the games already played.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:54 am

Id be ok with changing it for the league if possible. Stay on top of things. As long as things don't change too often

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 am

Only adjust the games after the tourny. Make your life easier

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:00 am

Sponsored content