The 9th Age is Upon Us

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 9th Age is Upon Us

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:06 pm

I get so used to painting in my style that its really hard to break away and paint something different, weather its color, or figs. I've also grabbed a bunch of 40k dark elder and I'm going to try and use different colors than I normally use.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 pm

This is one reason I like the bretonnians. †I can paint each knight as a stand alone character without having to worry about it fitting in with the rest of the army. †So long as I base it the same I'm good to go.

I've had a hankering to paint up a tau fire warrior for a while now, maybe I'll buy a squad and paint it up for shits and giggles.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:44 pm

OK, I tried the battleplanner for 9th and made some army lists - on both my laptop and PC. Now, I can't seem to open any of the files as I need the associated program to open them but when I try to reload the battleplanner as it doesn't save to desktop or anything, I just keep getting sent to a Yahoo page. Anyone having this trouble or should I just get a Commodore 64 and go back to the stone age?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:24 pm

I always just use excel.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:31 am

I love commodore. Use to rock bmx racing, q bert and rambo first blood

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:58 pm

nathanr wrote:This is one reason I like the bretonnians. †I can paint each knight as a stand alone character without having to worry about it fitting in with the rest of the army. †So long as I base it the same I'm good to go.

Is this strictly true though? I'd bet that the way you paint blue in the army is consistent from one mini to the other. All the steel armour bits are probably the same from one mini to the next, right?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:09 pm

Somewhat I guess, although I've had Bretonnians as a secondary army for so long that I've painted them over the course of a decade. you could probably line up my knights in chronological order!

My character on a hippogriff was painted as a study in different shades of blue and my Pegasus riding paladin was an experiment in wet blending. My grail Knights were some of the first that I used washes on while my Pegasus Knights were my first real forray into freehand. My trebuchets were the first dioramic bases and one of them was my first scratch-built model. Lots of firsts in that army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:25 pm

started reading thru 9th AGE. then will be going thru the army books. it is like 8th with errata

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:23 pm

That is exactly what it is. As long as we get rolling on "one" game †is the important point, although I suspect a month from now Sean will complain about all the issues with 9th. Might not seem like it Sean but I still like you.......in small doses.

Anyone have point preferences for FOW during this weekend?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Let's make it 1420 Late War. I think that's the official point level this year

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:22 am

Super busy, havenít had time to respond.

@ Scott Ė Thatís kind of all I was looking for, was a reason. Even if I donít agree with you id like to know your point of view, easy to just keep saying you hate it but now I know why. I unfortunately cant agree with the pick up and just paint a fig, I like there to be an end game or a purpose in mind for every fig I paint, it has to be for a game I play like even if itís just 10 models for a fantasy army I donít have yet, then atleast I can keep them incase I get that army one day, thatís how I ended up with VC. Painted 10 Skeletons enjoyed it so got the army.

@ Nathan ĖRambling is good! I want more of that, thatís what I think forums are for. Not like I can ramble to co workers about Warhammer, and I ALWAYS want to talk about Warhammer so rambling here fills that need : ) !

@ Don Ė I will say that once the 9th Army Builder gets fixed it will feel a lot like 8th list building

@ Carson Ė I really have nothing to say to that but likeÖ ouch I guess?

Me and Brian played a 2500 pt game VC vs WoC with my VC pulled out the victory in the end. Felt like a real game and was fought down to the bitter end with one of his units of 25 Chaos Warriors getting surrounded by my whole army at the very end. It is harder to build completely pimped characters now, they get pretty pricey. Looking forward to playing more games of 9th! I hope u guys like it too. Fire Magic it my favorite lore, better then Death, Shadow and Necromancy imo. Altho the new Mind Razor is cool, hits are auto wounds with AP 1. I think itís nice and more consistent than str = LD

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 pm

nathanr wrote:Let's make it 1420 Late War. †I think that's the official point level this year
Yes, it is

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:33 pm

|marauder| wrote:
nathanr wrote:Let's make it 1420 Late War. †I think that's the official point level this year
Yes, it is

As an armoured player, that is sooo low.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm really easy Don, what do you want the point limit to be?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Oh, I wasn't saying anything other than generally speaking 1420 is low. But if that is what it is - then that's what it is. No worries at all. Even though I usually think so, the whole world doesn't need to revolve around me.

I just like having lots of stuff.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:57 am

squalie wrote:Oh, I wasn't saying anything other than generally speaking 1420 is low. †But if that is what it is - then that's what it is. †No worries at all. †Even though I usually think so, the whole world doesn't need to revolve around me. †

†I just like having lots of stuff.
I agree it is very low but we should also see more Mecha and Armoured Car lists rise up.
Games will get faster with Reece being the 'dominate' forces on the table
The only thing is it will feel a lot like EW - but I like EW

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:11 pm

I feel like the lower point games are going to allow the CT lists to shine as well. at 1900 points the CV or FV players weren't really hurting for choices, they could take pretty much whatever they wanted without having to cut much. Now we're talking almost 500 points less for those guys and they're going to have to make some really hard choices. The CT guys have a bit more breathing room. Although it is tight for them too they can bring a few more toys and probably a more balanced list overall.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm

To almost quote a Nathan

"anyways back to 9th"

Fear seems to be more useful in 9th. Im actually scaring cowardly Chaos units into WS1. Getting a -1 to leadership seems to be the difference. All monsters in this game cause terror, its now included under the "monster" rule along with D6 stomps. I like that, their size alone would cause terror!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm

So u get half points for fleeing units or units below 25% of their starting wounds. I like this, but I could see how this is annoying. Brians Hellcannon held on with one wound left. But I still got half his points which gave me the victory in the end.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 pm

That's a thing from 7th and earlier. I like it. That's one of the few things I didn't like in 8th edition. You could wipe out all but one guy in a unit and then that guy could run away the rest of the game but if he didn't die or reach the table edge you'd get no points for the unit. Heck, you could wipe out someone's whole army but if you left one or two guys alive in each unit you got no points. Dumb.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 pm

I've been going through the rules and I like what I'm seeing so far.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Excellent Smile im glad to hear guys. I agree I like this rule. I took a risk with a unit on my last turn to kill a bsb and reduce his WoC unit to below 25% I lost my 300pt vamp in the process. But I got the WoC to below 25% and killed the bsb that turn.

Vampire counts... Are ok Carson. I beat chaos but it was a hard fought battle. I took a lvl 4 fire necromancer, fun. But big advantage was only because 1St turn his chimera got pulled out of position and charged and flanked by ghouls, Varghulf and crypt Horrors.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 am

That's what every army should be, just 'OK"

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 am

Kal wrote:So u get half points for fleeing units or units below 25% of their starting wounds. I like this, but I could see how this is annoying. Brians Hellcannon held on with one wound left. But I still got half his points which gave me the victory in the end.

This is how it should be. Beating something sensless and claiming no victory over it is kind of silly. Think of it as the 10-8 system in boxing. You never knocked the guy out but DESTROYED him for 10 rounds - you da winna!

I remember playing Paul and his Ogres beat the ever-lovin heck out my Elves. I literally had only a couple of models left in each unit - looked like a Plague went through them. BUT, since I had all my units "left" and I managed to kill one of his - I won! It looked like he still had his whole army on the table. I still feel bad to this day about that one. The look on his face would have been comical if it wasn't so sad. Smile

Also, although pretty clichť, I think fights against Chaos should always be tough. They've always been the strong antagonist, and no one ever takes a nervous gulp when my horde of Elves rushes over the hill! Wink Fighting Chaos should always have that feeling of end world finality. There are no arm wrestles when you fight Chaos Warriors - they just take your arm.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am

Carson wrote:That's what every army should be, just 'OK"

Agreed, but WoC and Lizards apperently stand out as the best. Only thing i rly didnt like and dont get me wrong i didnt expect my horde of 40 Skeletons to stand up to 25 Chaos warriors for long, but when i flank charged with a unit of 15 skeletons he never directed a single attack at the unit of 15 but i lost them ALL to Unstable. Same thing happened with my Crypt Horrors, why target the hard to kill stuff when you can take out the weak guys and have the tough guys crumble due to unstable. I get this has always been an issue but kind of takes the strategy out of it as why combo charge. Also like NOTHING in the Vamp book has an armour save, just the Knights i think... and Skeletons with shields. Its all regeneration saves so if they got fire you will be in for a not fun time. Again i didnt play them in 8th so this might be old news.

@ Don - Chaos definitely still gives you the feeling of "oh god how am i going to deal with this" Chaos warriors dropped to Ini 4 tho. so slightly slower. But Additional hand weapons giving you +1 Ini so trade off if you want.

I like the new 25% rule and the Fleeing rules. i get they arn't "NEW" but new to me.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum