The 9th Age is Upon Us

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 9th Age is Upon Us

Post  Mhael on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 am

I thought we settled the whole sean is a fucktard issue a long time ago? Sean you say you gave warthrone a good go playing many games against the same player but yet when you came to Nathans you barely had a grasp of the true mechanics of the game. 'Well we werent sure...so this is how we play' this is what happens when not mixing the players up so that fresh outlooks can happen naturally. I think we owe a big round of applause to our warthrone moderator as his task can be daunting. (I sent him an email asking to get you a pop-up version of the rules).

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:32 am

I will be the first to admit that I haven't given Warthrone an honest chance yet. I've barely read through the main rules let alone the army books and because of that I can't bring myself to play any games. It wouldn't be fair to my opponents. The same goes for 9th edition. Call me old-school (or just old) but I think I need a hard copy of the rules in book form. Maybe it's that I can then flip easily between the army books and rule book or maybe I just like the feel of a book, I don't know. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that is something that will happen with either of these games.

The little I did play of Warthrone it seemed like a decent enough game but 9th is likely going to be the more familiar one and the easier transition.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:02 am

Yes Andre, but at the same time me and Brian were the only ones playing ANY games, everyone else just gave up and started playing Flames of War or just stopped TRYING new rule sets and sat there writing in their book of grudges that 8th was dead. ahem. Pushing a boulder up a hill alone gets tiring, so instead of looking for more people to force to help push the Warthrone boulder up a hill, i just went and got a smaller boulder (9th) to push up the hill by myself.

Nathan has it right on, easier transition.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm

nathanr wrote:I see both sides of this debate.  I've said it before, I'd be happy to play 8th edition forever.  Unfortunately, that is not a view that is shared by many.  My response to Kieran's question as to why not play 8th instead of 9th age is because 8th is dead and 9th age has support behind it.  Way more support than GW ever gave Warhammer.  One complaint that I saw on the 9th Age forum is that they are updating the rules too often.

Upon reading your responses, I think I may have grossly misread your groups desires. I thought you DID want 8th to continue. A few of you have brought up here that you were looking for a change anyway. In light of this, my statement about continuing to play Warhammer over Ninth Age is moot. My point about playing Age of Sigmar or Kings of War over Ninth Age still stands though. And my point about finding yourselves in the same place in a year of two again also stands, if you follow the Ninth Age path.

It is certainly an uncertain time (see that clever play on words). Not just for you guys, but for us in Alberta, too. With that in mind, Carson said it most bluntly, that the most important thing is coming together with a consensus de-facto game. It is what will be necessary to avoid isolated pairs of dudes, playing isolated games, in isolated basements, wondering if anyone else feels the same.

@Don: In Edmonton, my group has predominantly continued to play 8th edition, but are slowly transitioning into Kings of War as the next best choice. Quite a lot of folk are getting over their resistance to change and playing Age of Sigmar with regularity, too. Although I haven't been drawn to it wholly, I have played enough to know that the criticism of "this game has no tactics" is just plain untrue.
As for the Calgarians, their forum has been out of action, and I don't know its future. The players there have embraced AOS more than Edmonton. It has become the first choice for many. Several other regular WHFB players are still lamenting the lack of ranks & files, so have flipped entirely and joined the Warmachine crowds instead.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:12 pm

I am in for supporting the 9th Age. It gets rid of all the unnecessary crap from 8th edition and is updated quite regularily. I have converted my Skaven and Dwarf lists over to the new system and I like what I can fit into my lists a lot better. I have even written up for a Saskatchewan wide league that I or someone else could run. I agree that Kings of War is just too skimpy and simplified as well it doesn't have all the same stuff from 8th. Warthrone I have no clue about but it seems to be lacking in the support department, the models are always sold out and well, I just never hear anything about it.

Look forward to playing a 3k game with my Dwarven Holds in the near future against any of you.

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Funny, I actually really liked AoS. And I agree - much more strategy than people will give it credit for. My only real honest complaint is the lack of point values to remove the "hand shake" bargain at the start of the game. There's no doubt in my mind AoS would have taken over if they had done that...but I digress.

I suppose 9th is always updating as they want to constantly "errata" the system, since GW was notoriously resistant to doing so. Plus, the constant outside pressure from peers to adjust a unit, no doubt based on personal preference - not balance, means that trying to please anyone, they risk disappointing everyone. Really, it's still a work in progress and It's seems close to settling. I loved 8th, but it's truly dead. I have no doubt if you drove through the U.S. you'd have more luck finding a 9th game than an 8th game at this point.

As always, it's more important who I play with than what I play, BUT I have a feeling that while I like Warthrone, 9th may just give me that comfort I've always had with Warhammer.

If anyone's looking for a hardcover book, they're all pretty much the same now. Download rules, print off rules, play game.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 am

Well interesting to hear that AoS is somewhat popular in Calgary. I like the system if only because i don't have to learn another game with 100+ pages of rules and could have something with a customized hobby style army with cool models i like... 9th looks like the best bet if you really miss warhammer fantasy... I'm not one of those people. I miss the fluff though.

It would be nice if i could get some use out of these lizardmen i got laying around but i guess for now they will stay in the drawer relegated to the realm of "something to paint if there is nothing else to paint and/or i am feeling like painting dinosaurs". I keep checking back on these forums every now and again to see whats up but i haven't built up the motivation to learn 9th and set up an army to effectively use movement trays etc (obviously i dont have a completely finished fantasy army like most)

I am currently in the middle of preparing for an Infinity tournament in Edmonton at the beginning of Feb with an interesting local 40k team tournament coming up after that in march to get ready for as well. (for the 40k tourney its teams of 4 people, each person has a 875pts list then each mission people from the team get paired together and play vs 2 people paired together from a different 4 man team. Through the 3 rounds all 4 players from each team play one game with each of their team mates as their ally (if it sounds confusing its just difficult to explain, simply it is a double doubles tournament with rotating partners from a 4 man team of your choosing). This will be the first one i've played in it sounds like fun. As far as i know we need some more 4 man teams and i hear a few of you are looking/have collected a few 40k models and 875 isn't many points...might be a good way to try out the system for the models you own/were looking to own.

Anyways carry on with the discussion, if anyone wants to try out some age of sigmar (aka f***ing checkers) or 40k send me a message.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 am

Lets try 9th edition out at my games weekend. It will give us all a chance to talk it over and decide over actual games. I just want to get some kind of consensus and get organized gaming going on again. I still have quite a few projects I'd like to work on and I can't wait to get rolling again. I still feel it will be hard to beat warthrone for the tactical player but as long as were playing I don't much care what version of fantasy were using.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

It's funny that we're talking like 9th is another game to "learn". It's 8th edition with errata - isn't that what everyone wanted? Very Happy

I have a gift certificate for comic readers and I think I'm going to pick up the skitarii box set. Not sure how many points it makes, but I don't need a single thing for fantasy so maybe it'll get me motivated to piant?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:39 am

squalie wrote:It's funny that we're talking like 9th is another game to "learn".  It's 8th edition with errata - isn't that what everyone wanted? Very Happy

This, 100%

But i am loving how active this forum as gotten again, shaking things up! Id love to pound some dwarves into the ground sometime, your only 2 ft off the ground so its a short trip BWHAHAHA. and Toaster, my main opponent is Lizardmen in 9th and they are a tough nut to crack and alot of fun with different units and tricks.

Also glad to see im not the only one who saw KoW as over simplified.

For Carson's weekend i know everyone doesn't have access to a printer and that can really be frustrating so if anyone needs Army lists / books / rules printed let me know. I will be printing off a half a dozen or so cheat sheets with the special rule definitions and new stuff. Im assuming we all know how to figure out WS/STR/TO for attacking and defense so i wont print those sheets off.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm

squalie wrote:It's funny that we're talking like 9th is another game to "learn".  It's 8th edition with errata - isn't that what everyone wanted? Very Happy

No, it is not.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Shh shh its ok buddy *pat pat*. Go fade into obscurity, since I think Don is talking about people who actually roll dice. Smile

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Actually, to bring Scott into this, cuz he keeps lobbing little Ninja shit bombs and then slinks away, I kinda get where he comes from. 7th was his Warhammer glory days. Didn't play 8th as it never intrigued him, sort of tried so he could hang with super cool people like me, but even our awesomeness wasn't enough. The hobby just faded away for him because "his" game died.

I am starting to understand what happened to him.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 pm

I'm watching you guys intently. I tried 8th and even wanted to love it. It is/was not good. Keeping tabs on the state of things in GW land now is a complete parallel to what I felt at the dawn of 8th, so I feel for you guys.

If you guys are going through even a portion of how I felt it really sucks. I felt like it was a lose/lose scenario. I lost a game I loved and had the options of filling it with something that I didn't think was even half way up to snuff. I sucks, and it's okay to say so.

I'll give Warthrone a solid go. I'd love for there to be a solid massed fantasy combat game to get back into. It's going to be very, very tough to find anything that can replace the feel of playing in the Classic warhammer world fluffwise though.

I don't know how you guys can carry on with 8th/9th. It's like trying to pretend Star Wars was a great three movie run from '77 to '83 and only ever existed in the VHS home video format. Changes were made by the head office! Changes that gave everyone the middle finger. Whether it was post AoS or much earlier doesn't matter much.

Side note, I really liked the end times story wise. I'd have thought it was kinda cool if they'd broken the game down into era's with the skirmish AoS or the classic Old World Fantasy ruleset. Anyways...

I bought the Kings of War ruleset. Flipped though it a little. I downloaded Warthrone but I am having beacoux issues getting it to open on my tablet. Plus as an old school dude it feels weird not having a rulebook in hand with paper and page flipping.

I'm interested to see where the majority of you guys opt to spend your gaming time now. I've still got plenty of square based armies that I'd love to break out every now and then. And man would I love an excuse to collect an army again. I'm progressing slowly on a 40K Nurgle army and a couple forces for a post apoc game as well. I've just always liked the mass fantasy thing. Man, Warhammer was so good back when!

If only I could really get into painting FoW then all my needs would be met. Just... can't. Sucks.

I strongly recommend everyone feeling this hobby limbo pick up and paint a fig for a system you'll never play and have no interest in every playing. Put the most time and effort you ever have into it! This process at the very least will help you become better for when a new hobby game comes to the forefront and your armies will be looking sharp as hell. At the most you might find like I did that painting was it's own reward and the thing you enjoyed most about the hobby.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:45 pm

It would be nice to see you back Gaming Scott. I understand where you are coming from, personally I think 8th was the best edition but I can see why many think 7th was the best one. Now we're left with nothing official (war throne doesn't count as official any more than the 9th Age).

I also agree that flames of war, while a good game, does not stretch the creativity or imagination in the same way as Warhammer did for me. I struggle to get anything painted, I can't see myself collecting much more than what I already have. With Warhammer I'd get the idea for an army in my head and I couldn't rest until I'd made it happen. I still have a few ideas kicking around that I'll probably never do now. Too bad.

I'll take your advice though, I've got a model in mind that I'd like to paint up that isn't for any of my armies so I can do pretty much anything with it.

This post has very little to do with anything, just felt like rambling

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 am

This post has very little to do with anything, just felt like rambling

That's why you fit in! All of mine are like that. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:32 am

I think thats what killed aos for me...no point system. People say our hobby is a percentage of crafting models and rolling dice but a large percentage for me is list building. I could spend an entire day reworking lists and at the end my opponent msy not recognize i have made any change but somewhere i will have adjusted one little nuance bc something happened one time.
I did print off the 9th rules and will spend some serious sit down time before Carsons. I would suggest we keep our point limit to maybe 2000 with an optional 2500 point list after we roll a few games.
Carson are you needing any mats tables or terrain

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:07 am

I agree with you Andre, I've spent many hours crafting the "perfect" list. Especially with Dwarf characters and their runic items. That is partially why I'm not a big fan of Warthrone, you can't customize the characters nearly as much. Maybe that leads to more balanced gameplay, I don't know.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:42 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
I strongly recommend everyone feeling this hobby limbo pick up and paint a fig for a system you'll never play and have no interest in every playing.  Put the most time and effort you ever have into it!  This process at the very least will help you become better for when a new hobby game comes to the forefront and your armies will be looking sharp as hell.  At the most you might find like I did that painting was it's own reward and the thing you enjoyed most about the hobby.

Holy shit, MAN! This is the best advice you have ever posted on this forum! No matter which game is your favourite, the desire to do hobby should be universally with us all. Whether you're painting a spearman or a jet bike, we can all appreciate each other for the craft.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm finding painting tedious, when I don't have a direction or a "new" army being built. I enjoy it, but I have to have all my ducks in a row with an end game in mind. A project. My brain simply doesn't understand painting a fig just to put colours on plastic with little chance of using it.

Like Nathan and Andre, I have spent (no joke) hundreds and hundreds of hours on army builder making and fine tuning lists. It was like playing a video game that I never tired of. I have bought, and sold, sooooo many figs and armies in the past, simply because I put together another cool army on AB. It's literally one of the things I miss the most from the hobby. I think GW missed another huge opportunity to purchase/create their own armybuilder.

Ah well.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:32 pm

TY Kieran

Don, painting an unassociated fig. Can you try mentally to think of it as "Practice"? Would that help?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:35 pm

I've had models that I really wanted to paint, usually they lead into a new army for me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Yup, army  builder was like crack to me. Its where I found most of my inspiration for new projects. Personally, I get excited to play again with warthrone in mind. 9th edition is of course 8th edition with errata, a tough sell for me as now I "know" that I'm playing a dead game with a dead background. I wish warthrone would get its shit together as they have a world and background just like warhammer did......did remember. I think warthrone figs are fantastic, have painted quite a few and just wish they would start pumping out their products. But I digress, put figs on the table and I'll sit down and play. Its pretty simple really.

As for my games weekend I can set up 5 tables comfortably in the basement. I have 3 tables with terrain for 4 (fow terrain for 1), not sure how many we will need. I only have 16 days until the move cheers

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:37 pm

ScottRadom wrote:TY Kieran

Don, painting an unassociated fig.  Can you try mentally to think of it as "Practice"?  Would that help?  

Not sure. The thing is, your painting style is "display" painting style - and you do it very well. It's obviously something you enjoy passionately. I think I can paint pretty well, but it's a good "tabletop" style. My armies can look cool, but my style doesn't stand up well when one fig is standing on a tuft of grass with a camera 2 inches away. I paint armies, not figs.....does that make sense? When I paint, I struggle with a colour scheme, basing, etc for months - but when it clicks, I get fired up and I can literally paint and base a whole armies in a few weeks, and then sometimes put a community painting prize under my arm. It's weird. If I put even a character model on display on cool mini, it would maybe get average ratings - which I honestly would completely expect and understand.

I'm totally cool with it as that's my goal and it seems to work for me. I don't seem to have the patience, or even technique, to paint one single fig that stands on it's own merit for a podium win. I need to hide my painting in units. Very Happy

Having said all that, I'm going to buy some 40k figs and paint them up. I'm strangely excited to do so as I think my style would lend well to 40k.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

My current style and results are based on learning and trying new technique to make my armies look better.

Try it out if you can swing it mentally. I know what you mean about having to be feeling it to paint though, so makes sense if it just 100% cannot happen for you.

I do promise that taking one mini that you can paint with freedom and push it you'll be better able to bust a nut on a new army when the time comes. You can try painting armour in a new way when you know you don't have to paint it 60 more times to match. Same with colour combo's etc. Do it!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum