Demo -> Tour of Duty (Vietnam)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
May 4th - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)
1,000 point armies provided by FoW Regina Rifles

Demo -> AIW (Arab Israeli War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
June 1st - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)
1,100 point armies provided by FoW Regina Rifles

Demonstration Game / Total War -> AIW (Arab Israeli War)
Title: Operation Moked [Focus]
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
June 4th - 10am to 1630 (am to 430pm)
2,000 point armies
* send lists 2 weeks prior to game day to cigamnogard@sasktel.net

Demo -> WWI (the Great War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
July 6th - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

David's Going Away Tournament
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
9am-6pm
July 23rd
$5.00 entry fee
2000 point LW armies
-> lists due on or before July 9th

Demo -> WWII (Early War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
August 3rd
From 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

August Anvil Tournament
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
@ 9am to 1730 on Saturday August 20th 2016
with 1500 Early War Armies
lists are due on or before August 6th; please send to cigamnogard@sasktel.net

Demo -> MWWII (Mid War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
September 7th
From 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

Last edited by |marauder| on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 9 times in total

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016: Upcoming Events/Demo/Tournaments for Flames of War

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Hmm, lots of things to think about. Those two late war events are tempting. Maybe I can get my Canadians functional before then.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:14 am

Demo -> WWII LW (Late War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
April 6th - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

Regional Tournament
Title: FoW Regina Rifles Regionals
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
April 23rd - 24th = 9am to 5pm each day
$50.00 entry fee {includes admission, swag bag,& T-shirt}
1,775 point LW armies ~ lists and entry fee due March 15th

Demo -> Tour of Duty (Vietnam)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
May 4th - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

Demo -> AIW (Arab Israeli War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
June 1st - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)
1,100 point armies provided by FoW Regina Rifles

Demonstration Game / Total War -> AIW (Arab Israeli War)
Title: Operation Moked [Focus]
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
June 4th - 10am to 1630 (am to 430pm)
2,000 point armies
* send lists 2 weeks prior to game day to cigamnogard@sasktel.net

Last edited by |marauder| on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 10 times in total

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 am

Lance, I'm trying to put together a gamesday weekend for the FoW guys. Considering you're putting an event together every 6 minutes, when would be a good weekend in Feb to get together?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:29 pm

squalie wrote:Lance, I'm trying to put together a gamesday weekend for the FoW guys.  Considering you're putting an event together every 6 minutes, when would be a good weekend in Feb to get together?
Any weekend but the 20th of Feb
- December is when I put together the first half of the upcoming year:
3-4 tournaments (one every 2nd month)
1-2 events (one per quarter)
6+ demos (one for every month)

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 pm

squalie wrote:Considering you're putting an event together every 6 minutes, when would be a good weekend in Feb to get together?
Wait a minute - I added one single event in March - how is that every 6 minutes Mister Exaggeration?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:24 pm

|marauder| wrote:
squalie wrote:Considering you're putting an event together every 6 minutes, when would be a good weekend in Feb to get together?
Wait a minute - I added one single event in March - how is that every 6 minutes Mister Exaggeration?

I told you a million times I don't exaggerate! Wink

Lance, you should take it as a compliment. It's good to see this kind of passion in a game and I want to be a part of it. I bumped into Steve when I was at Tramps and was trying to figure out a good weekend in February to host a weekend event.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm really looking forward to attending as many tournaments as I can, especially the regionals. I'm hoping to have a better grasp of the game by then.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 am

squalie wrote:  I told you a million times I don't exaggerate! Wink

Right...
squalie wrote:
 Lance, you should take it as a compliment.  It's good to see this kind of passion in a game and I want to be a part of it.  
I do - we have a few out of Province people that infrequently attend and the more lead time the more likely they can attend. And, with Regionals I am planning on a lot more out of towners attending.
squalie wrote:
I bumped into Steve when I was at Tramps and was trying to figure out a good weekend in February to host a weekend event.
Sounds like a great plan! Especially working around my plans/events Wink I appreciate that.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:44 am

Carson wrote:I'm really looking forward to attending as many tournaments as I can, especially the regionals. I'm hoping to have a better grasp of the game by then.
Maybe try taking more vitamin C Laughing

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:45 pm

|marauder| wrote:Demo -> WWI (The Great War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
January 6th - 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)
AAR:
January 6th, 2016  FoW Demo: First Wednesday of Every Month
By Lance Mathew

Starting off the first Demo of the year I went with the Great War and with all the demos for the next six to seven months I will be working my way up to possibly World War III (yes, WWIII). The schedule should be Early World War II being next, then Mid World War II, followed by Late World War II, then Vietnam, next is the Arab-Israeli War, and then like I said possibly WWIII!

After this Demo I will now have played WWI twice. I am not sure it will ever be the most popular era for Flames of War but I do like it. I think I would like it more of their were Crazy Canucks with urine soaked rags on their faces fighting the mighty Huns but – maybe Battlefront will contact me to write up such a crazy piece of history and incorporate it into a list!

Meanwhile, Jarrod made another appearance at one of my demos. So, far he only has the LW era from the Open Fire Kit. But, I know he really enjoys the game and with the core rules being the same every game he plays he gets better and better.

Jarrod deployed his British line infantry company in his trenches waiting for my Huns (Germans) to bring the fight to him!  And, bring it I did! I deployed all my troops on his right side and pushed hard. Jarrod’s British platoon at first buckled and then finally broke. Have to give him kudos as the odds were two to one against him in that area. As luck would have it Jarrod rolled a reserve Mark IV Male tank in and rambled it up to contest my claiming the objective. However, the Male version is great against other enemy tanks but not so good against infantry.  My infantry made their tank terror test and mugged the poor tank.

The next event is a 1775 Tournament at Tramp’s on January 23rd, 2016 in Preparation of the FoW Regina Rifles Regionals that will be a two day event on April 23rd – 24th !

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:29 am

|marauder| wrote:Updated:
Tournament: January Preparation
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
@ 9am - 5:30pm
@ January 23rd, 2016
~ 1775 Late War Lists due on or before January 9th
-> send lists to Lance @ cigamnogard@sasktel.net

AAR:
January Preparation
January 23rd, 2016
By Lance Mathew

The January Preparation tournament has been in the works for months and it is only the precursor for the Regina Rifles Regional Event (weekend on April 23rd & 24th 2016). It has been difficult to get the word out for tournaments as this year Battlefront has not been announcing on their website like they normally do. Instead we have relied on word of mouth, posters, Facebook (Facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles), websites (http://forums.saskgames.com/index.php). However, we still had twenty one players signed up but in the end only eighteen showed up (well nineteen including me) to battle it out at Tramp’s Comics & Games!

With Eighteen players I did my best to select different tiers. What I mean by this is that I did not want the top players beating the snot out of the new players. From my perspective the veteran either stomps on or spends their entire game educating the new player; either way it can lead to a frustrating experience for one or both. Once I select the tiers slot them into Swiss style red versus blue scenarios. This becomes more and more complicated as the tournament goes on. However, I feel a little (a lot) of stress for the TO (Tournament Organizer) goes a long way to making rewarding experiences for the players.

The first mission selected was Surrounded - a Defensive Battle that allowed everyone to play with all their troops. I do my best to ensure that at least each tournament one of the missions allows the players the opportunity to put everything on the table that they brought. I have attended a few tournaments that half my stuff remained in the bag I travelled 200+ kilometers to play in.  

The second game was Breakthrough – a Mobile Battle. A few players struggled with this one as they had to make hard choices based on terrain of their table as well as the vehicles that they had brought; the mission only allows for a single mobile platoon for the defender.  More than one player was upset that their table and their own list was not in their favor. Sometimes the Company commander is caught between a rock and a hard place.

The last game was Encounter – a Fair Fight Scenario. If the players thought they had it rough with decisions last game now for sure each could only play with half of their toys and would not have a chance to get reinforcements until the third turn.

At the end of the day I think everyone had a good time, Tramp’s sold some models, and we promoted this great hobby that is Flames of War!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 am

|marauder| wrote:
Demo -> WWII EW (Early War)
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
February 3rd- 1815-2015 (615pm to 815pm)

AAR:
February 3rd, 2016  
FoW Demo: First Wednesday of Every Month
By Lance Mathew

Starting off the second Demo of the year I went with Early World War II; after the Great War Demo ran last month. The next Demo will be Mid World War II, followed by Late World War II, then Vietnam, next is the Arab-Israeli War.

This Demo marked a low point in my Flames of War Hobby:
• No one showed up for the Demo – but I won’t dwell on that. The Demo program has been highly successful in recruiting new players and I will continue to do my part in contributing to its successes.
• I have not heard from the Battlefront Rep in three weeks – but I won’t dwell on that. One of our latest successful FoW Regina Rifles recruits moved away to B.C. and is looking to run his own Demos there. Meanwhile, other members of our local group have expressed interest in doing so as well here. My speculation is that the Battlefront Rep is also experiencing growth in other areas and is a lot too busy for me.
• I ran a large tournament in January that I did not get to play in – but I won’t dwell on that. It is just disappointing that the community is growing and I don’t get to play in it.
• Still having trouble locating a large enough venue for the FoW Regina Rifles Regional Event rapidly approaching for the weekend of April 23rd – 24th – but I won’t dwell on that. I had just better get cracking and get it figured out!
In other words Lance – suck it up and do not dwell on things beyond your control; look at all the good that you have accomplished. Yes, Lance I hear you loud and clear.

On the plus side of last night:
• I straightened/tidied up the large section of Flames of War at Tramp’s Comics and Games.
• I answered a couple of players’ questions on what was in stock at Tramp’s. Looks like they will be ‘buy ’ on Saturday.
• I was offered a position on the Canadian Flames of War ETC (European Team Championships). Wonder if Cupcake would let me go to Greece…
• I was not late in picking up Minnie-me from his cooking class.

Preparations are already underway for the Mid War Demo – new FoW Business cards, hopefully a new Demo sign, posters put up around town, and always – > the word of mouth!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 pm

You seem to put a ton of work into making your events a positive experience for all involved. I know I've appreciated all that work at the events that I've attended. Thanks for all the work you do!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:39 pm

Nathan as usual said it spot on. I gotta say especially for the newbies u were always quick to answer questions and didnt get mad even if it was the same question we already asked u 32 other times. New goal is to make sure YOU get to play, ill even go easy on you in our first game Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Lance, was the only reason you didn't play in the last event due to odd/even entries? Why would you not play in your own events?

Am I understanding that you organize Tramps FoW section?!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am

nathanr wrote:You seem to put a ton of work into making your events a positive experience for all involved.  I know I've appreciated all that work at the events that I've attended.  Thanks for all the work you do!
Most appreciated Nathan

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 am

Kal wrote:Nathan as usual said it spot on. I gotta say especially for the newbies u were always quick to answer questions and didnt get mad even if it was the same question we already asked u 32 other times. New goal is to make sure YOU get to play, ill even go easy on you in our first game Wink
I try - was mad at myself for one round when I put two tables of the new people  at either end.
And, the same question - it's new to them - always do my best to be patient. Although, I do find it funny when I get a question that they think is very clear and to me it is very vague. Even the old hares do it. I also do my best to handle complaints and issues quietly and discreetly.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:40 am

squalie wrote:Lance, was the only reason you didn't play in the last event due to odd/even entries?  Why would you not play in your own events?

Am I understanding that you organize Tramps FoW section?!
Odd/evens & there was a lot of new people & there was a lot of people  - figured I would sit out and make the numbers even - that way I could just wear the TO hat and do a good job at that.
- but, you bet I like to play in my own events!
As for organizing the FoW Section - I helped the last time and again this time, but I need to go in and clean it up --> it is a mess!
Why? How would you like it laid out?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:14 am

I think he more means dont they have employees to do that?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Kal wrote:I think he more means dont they have employees to do that?
Yeah...pretty sure they have been just tossing the blisters in that section hoping they will fly up themselves to the peg hooks...

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:32 pm

That's precisely what I meant. The only single reason I shop at Tramps is because of the pricing (it's gotten understandably higher) and the fact they have a great FoW selection. The store and staff have much to improve upon.

It seems odd that you bring the business and still have to do the work. Ah well, none of my business.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:02 pm

squalie wrote:

It seems odd that you bring the business and still have to do the work.  Ah well, none of my business.
Yeah...baffled myself at times
However, think there is a saying - 'if you want something done right...'

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm

|marauder| wrote:

Tour of Duty Total War: Tet Offensive
@ Tramp's Comics & Games
@ 10am - 5pm on February 20th
1500 points per player
- lists due February 6th to cigamnogard@sasktel.net
Tet Offensive
February, 20th 2016
By Lance Mathew

Another successful mega game known as Total War for Flames of War transpired at Tramp’s Comics and Games on February, 20th. This event was entitled the Tet Offensive. Historically, the Tet Offensive was a massive operation launched by the Nationalists against the South Vietnamese and its allies. As per usual whenever the FoW Regina Rifles runs these large Demonstration games we get people coming over to see what is happening; having cool looking helicopters on a large table never fails to impress. We had several people stop by to check out the action; one purchased an Open Fire Kit leaving the store only a single starter set!  

In my honest opinion the Vietnam Flames of War era is a beer and pretzels game.  What I mean by that it is the most laid back and casual game experience: the Nationalists, Việt cộng and PAVN, mostly auto respawn; in slight contrast to the Free World’s players who mostly are wounded instead of KIA. Previously, we did a large Vietnam game this past Halloween with two on two – now this time around it was three versus three. Personally, I feel the Vietnam era is more suited for a larger game experience compared to one on one games. Yet, all the missions are set up for one on one – then, after this past weekend when we tweaked the mission to suite our larger player count I firmly believe we should have let the mission stand as RAW (rules as written) and left well enough alone.

Meanwhile, with three ‘Nam veterans (Matt, Chris, and I) and three noobies (Brody, Sean, and Shawn) we set to play. With three new players to the Vietnam era it only slowed game play for the first round which took over an hour. However, that being said a lot had happened in that first round. An ambuscade was conducted by each Nationalist player – this is where we tweaked instead of RAW where only a single Nationalist unit conducts an ambuscade. All three were largely ineffective and directly led to massive Nationalist losses – much like the Tet Offensive in real life.

The only real effect of the ambuscade was to pin my ANZAC forces in place but it took two Nationalist companies to do so. And, while my ANZAC could not go forward they stubbornly refused to die or give ground; which was my only/major contribution to the day’s event.

After lunch Chris’ Chuppas made their presence felt across the entire table. And, while the helicopters hit like two freight-trains they are incredibly fragile and littered the battlefield with their debris.

Shawn, had stepped in to fill the shoes of Stephen’s 25th Infantry, was largely playing what I would call a WWII list in ‘Nam. It looks good on paper but performs poorly against troops who do not fight fair. Shawn, did all right with them but I could tell both he and Stephen would have been disappointed in how they performed.
Regardless, thanks Shawn for being the ringer.

Sean, who was the Việt cộng player was unable to make his special rules count or even bring in his Đặc Công. As Sean’s opponent I was relieved, but as Sean’s friend I felt bad as I had spent hours assembling the flame throwers he did not get to use. Meanwhile, his snipers were everywhere sowing confusion and chaos as well as shooting down helicopters!

Matt’s Ironclads are always scary and without some lucky rolling on my part he would have rolled over top of my ANZAC. Instead I pinned them in place allowing Shawn’s M48 Pattons to come to my aid. Matt also brought in his BTR-50PK to end Chris dominance of the sky.  

Brody’s PAVN seemed to be the workhorse of the Nationalist forces - which historically they were. He was involved in every corner of the table and the middle to boot. It was Brody’s first game with his own PAVN as normally Jace has borrowed them. But, Jace had begged off as he was in Vegas at a Gymnist event.

We all had fun and we even managed to finish early (well - before Tramp’s closed). Thinking another Vietnam event is in store for later this year! Would also like to see another two players; having four per side would make an even amount.

Next demo is March 2nd (1st Wednesday night of every month), next tournament is Mid War March (March 5th), with the next Total War game set up to be AIW’s Operation Moked (June 4th). However, do not forget about FoW Regina Rifles Regionals on 23rd-24th!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:38 pm

squalie wrote:That's precisely what I meant.  The only single reason I shop at Tramps is because of the pricing (it's gotten understandably higher) and the fact they have a great FoW selection.  The store and staff have much to improve upon.

It seems odd that you bring the business and still have to do the work.  Ah well, none of my business.
Now, this being said I also recently wrote off going to FRAGCon:

Hi Henning,

I have been running Flames of War Demos and Events at FRAGCon since 2011. I have also been running or finding a moderator/teacher for Battletech since 2010. So, last year when your personally told me that you were no longer interested in having table top games at FRAGCon and I recalled all the dwindling numbers of attendees from each year I did not argue the point.
Now, this year I get an invite or at least an opportunity to work together to resolve an issue that you have with table top games. I am unable to do so. Your argument is also mine. In the beginning we had six players the first two years. But, as the years have progressed and the numbers have shrunken so too have the amount of players.
However, that is not my only point. Each year I have paid – full price – and encouraged members of my gaming group to attend. Also, in the past I brought and paid for my sons to attend. So, I have brought the game, brought players, and paid to run an event I had to work at.

Thanks but no thanks,
Lance

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top