Another round of Khorne Vs Tomb Kings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another round of Khorne Vs Tomb Kings

Post  Brian on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:36 am

Another week goes by and another 2 games of Warthrone of Saga. With Sean having to work over time last week and us missing our regular weekly games we were a tad rusty. None the less we put our minis on the table we rolled dice tried our best not to premessure and argued over rules.

The first battle on Wednesday was pretty straight forward and honestly I don't remember it all that well, I hadn't seen my best friend in two weeks so I was more focused on catching up with him then I was on the game we were playing. I do however remember that Sean was fierce that day with a superior army list. I had made a list that was full of lots of units but they all had minimum models in them, so every combat my units of 10 or so were going up against one of his units of 20-30. the whole game was like fighting a pack of wolves with a handful of steak knives.

†So I had to ask myself what were my major key problems in this game?
1). My units were way to small. So when I rolled well I simply didn't have the numbers to make a difference against his units and when I rolled bad (which was a lot) i would literally do nothing to his unit. Another problem with small units was that they had low momentum, momentum is basically how many ranks a unit has and determines who goes first in a combat if both units has the same agility. Additionally my small units were easier to kill giving him values points towards his moral. Moral is an odd point system that only one player at a time can have, when you completely kill a unit you get moral equal to the value of the unit (unless otherwise stated) but if your opponent kills a unit of yours and you have moral your moral is reduced before he got any for himself (if you have 2 moral and your opponent kills a unit with value 3 your moral would go down 2 then your opponent would get the remaining 1 moral, and there is a maximum of 6 moral.) The problem with losing moral is that it is a tie breaker when agility and momentum were the same, so units in a horde formation (horde only counts every second rank for momentum) were losing priority to single model monsters that had the same agility and momentum as them.

2). Momentum and morale. Mostly covered in key problem 1). There was 1 other reason I wasn't gaining moral and that was because I wasn't killing his value heavy commanders and heroes, which will bring me to key problem 3).

3). Commanders and Heroes (on both sides). Most armies (as far as I know) benefit from a healthy amount of heroes and commanders and Sean's Tomb Kings are no exception. His tomb princes can imprint his stats on the most remedial of units and his mage can bring back models that have died from any unit (I believe up to 4 models each mage.) So with his giant units hitting like trucks and replenishing them selves there was nothing that my tiny units could do. My character units on the other hand were almost useless. They hit hard and that was okay but they didn't give any special commands and the units already have low command and almost all Khorne units get one accepted charge order dice no matter what!

So how do I fix these problems? The fist thing I did was I got rid of all the units that didn't have a COM of less then 4, this was so I could get rid of my †Chaos Lord who I was using for the extra OD dice to command my more unruly units and replaced It with a daemon prince who hits hard and a lot and flies, making it perfect for taking out other characters that aren't in units. The second thing I did was take out my bsb and replaced him with 2 normal heroes that were supposed to lend a hand in units to taking out characters that were apart of enemy units, but admittedly all they really did was take some attention away from my unit getting hit as the hero always died the first turn it made it in to combat. The third thing I did was take out the weak maraurders, got ride of any units that seemed like they were just a worse version of another unit and reduced the warhounds to a minimum model unit, and I only kept them because the have scouting which is important. The forth thing I did was take out the bannermen because my general was no longer giving orders so that extra 2" command range was useless and musician because my Com was low enough that if I needed to give a change formation order I would probably make it anyways. The fifth thing I did was add the much stronger chosen, combined any small units that were the same, and filled the remaining units with the remaining points.

So now I have this list not as many units as before but the units I do have are nice and plump, able to take a beating and give one as well. here is what I brought to the table:

x1 Daemon Prince
X2 Exalted hero
x24 Warriors
x15 Chosen
x5 Skullreapers
x5 Skullcrushers
x6 Warhounds
x1 Chaos spawn

Here is a link to the list with all the goodies on them:
http://www.avatars-of-war.com/army-throne/prev.php?lang=EN&userName=RaptorTamer&armyName=%5BWFB%5DLegiones+de+Khorne&rosterLimit=2000&rosterName=Khorne+3&mediaT=2

So how did I do? Well the first thing you have to take into account is that Sean is working me, He is putting the bone giant out in clear view and hiding his mage hoping my daemon prince will take the bait and they will kill each other off or at least make it so that the daemon prince is an easy kill. I decide to kill the mage quickly first, unfortunately the daemon prince killed the mage the turn it made the charge and was forced to overrun into the bone giant anyways. Ohwell the mage gave me enough moral that I was going to be winning all the ties anyways so it was already worth it, then the daemon prince suffered a wound and killed the bone giant later being charged by archers and killed by them in melee combat. my skullreaper took out a unit of his chariots with only 2 left at the end, his archers shot down my chaos spawn before it did anything, my warriors took his prince and skeleton warriors but not until they took out one of my exalted heroes, his tomb guard took out my other exalted heroes, my chosen took out his other prince and was stuck in a stalemate by the end of the game, my skullcrushers took out his sphinx but then was stuck in a stalemate with my warhounds by the end of the game. Sean was getting more model then me at first but I kept taking out small units or single models giving me more moral allowing me to attack first a little more often. as the night got late though we looked at what was left on the table more units and models then him and he conceded the match in good spirits and shook my hand for finally legitimately beating him in a fair match.

I will be playing Don next and hopefully some of the other Moose Jaw guys one day will start playing with us! Good game and easy to play. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by RaptorTamer on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another round of Khorne Vs Tomb Kings

Post  Brian on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:47 am

Either more of his mind games or he is trying to teach the dice were to land!

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:05 am

Great post Brian, keep them up!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:38 am

A very well written and well thought out post, which is odd for someone who knows you so well Wink . But yes our first game was riddled with mistakes as we were rusty, a few arguments pertaining to rules I had remembered and insisted on were correct (btw champions do get 1 more attack) and some other rules that Brian threw right back in my face for forgetting (). Our first game I will say tho Brian was being quite tactically intelligent and way out maneuvered me to pick off my Liche Priests, bone giant and Sphinx all in one turn by completely obliterating my flanks leaving my main combat blocks to crush his in the center. That was the only reason I got the win that game, otherwise im sure if his main combat lines would have held he would have encircled me and crushed me. WHAT I will say about Chaos, is you are literally wounding the WHOLE army (well the one he brought) on 6ís and as the creator of the game hasnít answered me post about stuff that modifies defence / armor it is quite discouraging. But Brian points out the revised Chaos army that Chaos armor will only provide 1 armor instead of 2. HUGE difference in this game. Brian was right on with his thoughts on characters and how useful and vulnerable they can be, yes Tomb Princes make the units much flightier, they also can get the whole enemy units attacks directed at them (30+) at times and with only 1 wound they will go down and give up 4/6 of the battle morale score, which is WAY easier then killing 40 Skeletons for 1/6 battle morale Value so this alone is changing how im building future army lists, a lesson that im sure will come to all of us. Brian is definitely getting the hang of this game, to well, and without 8th edition expectations clouding his thoughts watch out for him being an opponent to be reckoned with. Looking forward to our game on Sunday, FRANK BETTER SHOW. I demand more blood

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:46 pm

If Frank shows it will not be until much later as he already has a prior commitment to his other gaming group. However my interest has been peaked so

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top