Warthrone Battle Reports

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warthrone Battle Reports

Post  Kal on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 am

Just want to start this to get everyone's experience with the game so far. Since we are still learning the rules figured it might be a good place to highlight stuff that happened during battle for review, share some personal insights etc.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warthrone Battle Reports

Post  Kal on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 am

Me and Brian had a 2000 pt game last night, High Elves vs Dwarves. It was a fun and bloody match, with a medium amount of terrain that seemed to make a difference. Shooting seems way to good imo, or maybe me and brian just weren't being as critical as we should have with shooting modifiers, unless you can shoot as a response to getting shot? RETURN FIRE? idk. It just seemed whoever shot first, could delete most of the enemy shooting units before they get to shoot back. Retaliating as a moral check to getting shot is fun, almost got me a free charge on some Sword Masters, you auto move 2d6" towards the closes enemy model. Monster DO NOT FIGHT monsters unless you want them to do nothing all game. We had a frost phoenix fight my Living Ancestor (giant golem) um... all game, and not a wound ever made it through, they have very little attacks, that pack quite a punch but with saving throws and defense nothing could ever make it thru. One thing that came up that made us scratch our heads is we had two units flee eachother in combat... is that a thing? Just looked very strange. Anyways TK vs Legion of Khorne tonight 2000 pts!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Lets not forget that you rolled like a champ. The blue and purple dice weren't rolled like that I don't think I rolled that well at all last night!

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Ha gotta love a 6+ defence roll. Very Happy especially when you save 1/2 of them !

I will admit Brian you rolled terrible all night, his swordmasters were hitting on 3's on like 26 dice i think he got 2 hits. no joke, it was a PILE of 1's and 2's. But Brians a good sport about it Razz get rid of the purple and blue dice.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Shooting seemed quite balanced in the game we played at Andres. Remember that modifiers make it quite difficult to get a lot of hits. Ranges are quite short, etc. Also, most units get defence rolls against shooting before wounds are even rolled. Also, monsters have high strength attacks that modify defence rolls....most hits should be wounds that could only be "saved" by saving rolls.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Ok please explain where/how it says high strengh attacks modify defence rolls? Because I was hitting Skullcrushers with my giant stone dwarven ancestor with a str of 1+ and he still got his 2+ defence roll unmodified as far as we could read. I didnt do a single wound... Razz

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:32 am

We had a couple more games me and Brian on wed and thurs. Ill keep them brief but we are definitely getting the rules down and with the creator of the game actually answering all of my silly questions Im enjoying the game even more. I will admit there are some situations that i feel... need refinement or atleast need to be clearer. I will say boys that the Warthrone lists do not seem to beable to keep up to the WFB converted lists. I think the Warthrone created lists FIT the game / rules better but they seem to fall a tad short vs WFB army lists. just in the sense that whatever the WFB lists get the Warthrone lists seem to have to pay points for. This has just been mine and Brian observation at this point

Game 1, Warthrone Dwarves vs WFB Warthrone Legion Of Khorne

If anyone thinks Chaos isn't going to be tough as freaking nails in this game u are gonna have a bad time. Brian pritty much washed over my army. I was completely crushed by Brians superior generalsmanship (its a word) every dwarf fell to a unit that was in some cases half their point value. I honestly think i killed some Chaos Warhounds and that was it. Chaos Chariots are 75 points and get SOOO many impact hits like each one with proper order dice can put out 5d6 impact hits i or something like that. We even played this rule incorrectly and he only ended up with one impact hit each and it still hurt. The lack of any kind of magic or ranged in the Khorne army does make it one dimensional and Brians side of the field was quite crowded with every unit trying to get into combat. Was a fun game and definitely taught us both alot more about the game in general. Oh and u almost have to kill chaos to a man, as they make break tests with NO modifiers so of their natural command of 3. so only double 1's fail. Brian won

Game 2, WFB TK vs WFB Legion Of Khorne

This game was alot bloodier and could have gone either way a couple of times. Brian was playing with caution which allowed him to get off almost every charge other then a long charge with my Skeleton Warriors. Brians rolling started out average but turned terrible by games end. I had a warsphinx that WOULD NOT LISTEN TO COMMANDS, he literally didn't get to move all game, failing charge command after charge command. My archers had limited use as Khorne wanted to fight asap so when they did have ranged targets they failed the FIRE command 1/2 times. Tomb Prince with an awesome Flail of Skulls managed to pop off some Skullcrushers on a nice charge. I got lucky with a couple early sweeping advances with chariots who get to make 2 a turn! so i just washed over his Chaos spawn into his marauders. My momentum was seriously halted once Brian started killing off some key characters. So yeah good game and we definitely had the rules down almost 100% this time i think. I ended up winning but it was barely and only due to a couple of bad rolls on Brians part. Another game this weekend perhaps!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:32 pm

Yea, this game is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Losing to skeletons that have the same agility as able bodied young men isn't fun. Although wearing decapitated dwarf heads as hats using their beards as chin straps is fun! Ha!

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Just had half a game (ran out of time) against RaptorTamer. His Khorne Warriors vs my High Elves 2000 points.

Oof, this game hurts the brain as there's so much more to it than Warhammer - yet so much alike.

There a few minor criticisms of Warthrone, not unlike Warhammer or other games, but it seems so fleshed out. By the time we had to call the game we were pretty evenly matched, but I feel that I had the momentum to ultimately pull out the win.

We should arrange another gamesday soon to get the stragglers up to speed,

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 pm

One thing I did notice was that playing with somebody different who uses a different army, was that it kind of opened our eyes to a few rules that Sean and I over looked because they don't really apply to our armies. So what we really need to do as a group is start buckling down and get as much local practice as we can, then when we get together and play the people that are not our normal opponents (like I wouldn't need to face sean cause I play him every week). We do this 2 or 3 times and we will be golden and maybe even hash out a few of the unclear rules. We could even start to make videos for youtube and really help out the Avatars of War guys

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:31 am

For sure, A gamesday is just what the doctor ordered.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 am

A games day is definitely needed, was nice to watch a game and see the rules that have fallen through the cracks while me and Brian are playing. Both of you were quite civil as a bunch of Sword masters hacked up a unit of chosen and then the Chaos Warriors got revenge by hacking up just as many White Lions. Looking forward to more people playing this!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Scooping the dead

Brian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:35 am

Sponsored content