Where do you start with this game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where do you start with this game?

Post  Deadlytoaster on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 am

So i've heard alot of good things about this Flames of War game. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of stuff for it though as well as the different eras and all the books. Where does a guy start if hes looking to build up an army of something for this game? How do you choose an era? What are the forces? Like there are the main ones of course but then are there sub forces in some of these books? Also how many people around saskatoon play FoW?

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Where do you start with this game?

Post  nathanr on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:45 am

There's a pretty good group of people who play in Saskatoon and Regina. If you are starting out I'd recommend late war for an era, that's what most people seem to have. The major factions are
What you'd expect:

Germany, UK, USA, USSR

But there are all kinds of smaller players as well. Some are only available in certain eras, Japan for example is only available in early war, although that may change.

The books are where you get your army lists. Each book has a bunch of different companies (armies) that can be used. Generally they are grouped into three types:

Infantry
Mechanized
Armoured

There are many different options with subtle variances so no matter what kind of company you're looking for, you should be able to find one that appeals to you. Come out this weekend, looks like most of the action is happening on Saturday. I'll PM you my address.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:23 pm

hey- I've got a boat load of Germans that you could try out anytime you want. I would just have to brush the dust off of them. With the models I have you could try out a few different version of tank companies, motorized or infantry.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LorSve on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:31 pm

It depends largely on your playstyle or what you want to play. High quality elite infantry with less support due to costs. Mobile(mechanized) troops that can react quicker. Hordes of mediocre armor. Expensive tanks or some combination there of.
Most units are flexible so if you want to switch say to infantry but bought tanks first you can use the tanks as a support platoon.

LorSve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 am

Deadlytoaster wrote:So i've heard alot of good things about this Flames of War game.
It is a great game! Very well balanced.
Deadlytoaster wrote:
I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of stuff for it though as well as the different eras and all the books.
Totally understandable - most nations, battles, & units are represented from WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Arab-Israeli War, & soon to be the imagined Team Yankee WWIII
Deadlytoaster wrote:
Where does a guy start if hes looking to build up an army of something for this game?
Sounds like you have lots of volunteers in your are to share their 'equipment'
Deadlytoaster wrote:
How do you choose an era?
Typically there is a country, unit, battle that has piqued your interest. I know of one player that is a huge fan of Band of Brothers - he plays America paratroopers.
Deadlytoaster wrote:
What are the forces?
Looks like that already got answered.
Deadlytoaster wrote:
Like there are the main ones of course but then are there sub forces in some of these books?
Maybe a better question might be - what are you looking for?
Deadlytoaster wrote:
Also how many people around saskatoon play FoW?
Quite a few.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:07 am

Note if you are interested in trying out the game:
I do Demo's the first Wednesday of every month (1815 - 2015 / 6:15 to 8:15)
David (very good player) also does Demo's the third Wednesday night of every month
- interested in trying out or even running a demo - please let me know!

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:41 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top