things we did wrong and clarifications from warthrone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

things we did wrong and clarifications from warthrone

Post  Carson on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:39 pm

So, after our first games I was very impressed by the rules and have started to reread them with actual game experience now.

Some of the rules that we missed or make sense now

-skirmishers can order a retreat from a charge and immediately regroup, plus it can never have its formation broken
-orders with capital letters are repeated or stacked for each successful order die.
-generals influence range is 8 not 6 inches. Other commander characters in the army have the 6" range.
- a unit with a musician automatically accepts a march order
- a counter charge order is only accepted if its has more success rolls than the charger, if it is accepted the two units meet half way, both have furious charge and strike simultaneous.
- a unit that is fleeing must accept a regroup order in the following tactics phase or it is scattered and removed from play
-each wizard in an army channels magic with its own dice pool.
-a failed casting order also results in a miscast.
- you don't need line of sight to dispel but must be within 20 inches.
- multiple wizards may combine their dice for a dispel attempt.
-wizards in melee cannot cast or dispel magic
-each order success for shooting allows 1 rank or 5 skirmishers to fire within the formations limitations
-warmachines can only be supported by 1 order dice

looking for more as I read......

Last edited by Carson on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: things we did wrong and clarifications from warthrone

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Excellent! Keep up the good work Carson! Make sure to get a game in with Scott.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am

I enjoyed the games and the rule system. Thanks for getting the clarifications out.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Some of those i knew... some of them i was WAY off on haha. love when someone else figures out all the hard rules for you. Thanks Carson! Me and Brian (raptortamer) are having a game tonight FINALLY. Glad you guys seem to be enjoying it.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:20 am

So Sean, Brian, get that game in?

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. Things you like, things you didn't like. Especially things you didn't like. So far all I've heard are good things and that makes me suspicious.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:00 am

Sadly no we did not... we tried a small 500 point game. I moved some units forward, failed a charge, and got confused about the counter charge. Does he get a counter charge if he super succeeded with 2/3 dice and I failed with 0/3? Me and Brian arenít the best at reading rules, it didn't help that we had like 3 tablets we were trying to flip the pages around on. Iím printing physical copies of the rules out in hopes that it will help us. So sadly no game, but we will attempt again tonight I hope. Unless Don wants to teach us Wink

So yeah just confused and frustrated

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:51 pm

So Don had to put up with me and Brian for a night while he walked us through how to play! We were pritty close with some rules so its good to know we were not tooo far off. We still had to call Carson once ha, but Don taught us most of it, and enough that we had our own game, so super thanks for that. Me and Brian had a 1000 point battle Tomb King vs High Elves last night. Definitely fun game and rly want more people in the gaming world to know about it, so Kings of War doesn't take over as the majority in wake of the fall of 8th. Anyways a couple things to ask here what the hell does momentum do, how do you get it and what does it effect? Also some spells dont have casting values or range or even when to use them, Raise Dead spell for Tomb King literally just says Raise d3+1 skeletons that were killed in a previous phase... so do i need to cast that using MIND or is it a command that i have to order? Whats the range? can i do it in response to a unit being shot with magic? Can you stand and shoot? how do you do it? is it just a command you give in response to being charged? I can't find anywhere in the book where it tells your the negative modifiers for shooting either. Altho units that are near buildings and fences can use them for cover and it adds an extra "ward save" so me and brian agreed loose fences added a 6+ saving throw vs ranged where as a solid stone fence would offer a 5+. Pritty sure that needs to be predetermined for each piece of terrain before the battle? I understand this message has alot of questions and isn't as neatly laid out as i promised my posts would start being. Also might not be the best place to post this since we are all learning, i had just hoped maybe i was missing something in the rules. Anyways sorry for the text wall, THANKS GUYS!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:51 pm

Ok one single real question.

Can you stand and shoot?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:17 pm

Yes, but they have to be successful in following that command.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Thank you

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Ok one more question...again.

I think elves 'always strike first' overrides 'furious charge'? So elves strike first? Or atleast at the same time?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Im voting strike at same time since both gain the rule?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:17 pm

By the way the rules are written furious charge is first but I recently saw a thread on the forums where the moderator states that army specific rules always take precedence.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Very good to know Carson, ty. Yes but my argument is furious charge gives u first strike and bonus to critical hit. And high elves have always strikes first. So both gain it and strike at the same time?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:06 am

Oh one other rather important thing we learnt that im not sure if you guys caught onto. HERO level characters CAN NOT support units with OD, they arn't commanders in the military chain of command are just characters known for their strength, bravery or skill.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:42 pm

yes, that's right.

Always strikes first would go before furious charge as it is an army specific rule that takes precedence over rule book "rules". We got this wrong at Andre's.

so....elves strike first, then furious charge units with a critical hit bonus.

I bloody well love Warthrone, best fantasy game I've played. 6th edition warhammer is a very close second but I really enjoy the orders facet, and lack of super characters in warthrone.
The one thing I don't like is the horde formation......awful.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:27 am

andre and i came up with some things after or last game ..
1 . can you counter any combat order ? we know it says things that affect the unit can be countered but being jumped on by a giant would be kind of silly to say " that guys gonna jump on us ! hey you cut that out so we can hit you with our swords "

2. buildings. I had a lone character tiring to hide from a barrage of bullets. so i took shelter inside a particularly large stone tower ( Andre would latter snicker about this). We couldn't find anywhere that says you cant just target the building instead of the troops inside. andre shots the building like 15 times or something gets some hits and wounds the building twice needing to roll sixes. then the rules says that for every 6 rolled to would a building units inside sufer one strength 4 hit for every square inch the building takes up after the first. the building was 4*4 so 16square meaning 30 ST4 hits on me cause he shot the building twice ????

we went back and did it so that he had to target the guy inside which meant i got a 3+ dug in save resulting in my guy only being wounded twice that i got a save from. At the same time this would not matter as Andre then snickered and threw a grenade at the building resulting in not only the death of my character but also some harpies i was hiding on the other side of the building; as some debris fell from the building and crushed them. also worth noting he only wounding the building twice (one with a roll of a six one with a five) and this happened although the mighty building still had 30 WOUNDS LEFT!!!

also Andre had mentioned something about last time he played something was done wrong that we discovered this game but for the life of me i cant remember what it was.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:18 pm

'Dom want a suggestion? Hide your character in that building so i cant just shoot him.' Awesome!

I think it was counter charges to get furious charge. You need to roll one more successful order dice than the amount of the chargers.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top