9TH eddition dreams...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

9TH eddition dreams...

Post  Kuyp on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm

I would like to hear from people specific things that they would have liked to see changed if 9th edition were a reality
My hope here is as a community we can come up with our ideal game that we would like to play
.Thoughts ?? what would you like to see

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 9TH eddition dreams...

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Honestly, I think I would have just kept 8th edition as-is and continued playing that. With that not being a supported game anymore I think Warthrone has the most to offer.

With the lack of motivation that our group has, I think trying to fix 8th edition ourselves is a project that is doomed to failure.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:34 pm

I agree that any community based ruleset is doomed to fail. There is no way that we'll put the effort in to "fix" anything. I think Scott said it best about following a ruleset, including it's flaws, because "that's just how it is".

Dom, you need to do yourself one favour and that's read through the avatars of war Warthrone rules. I know you well enough to know that you'll appreciate the strategy in it AND it's pretty much what 9th could/should have been anyways.

Tell us what you think!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 pm

FYI in Warthrone no pre measuring just putting it out there

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 pm

It has aerial battles. †Did I mention it has AERIAL BATTLES?!

HM. Somehow I missed the "no pre-measure" part.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Aye the no pre-measuring is a little understated in the rules imo. I first read it in the example of the Dwarf Berserkers using Battle Cry on Chaos Warriors. Also again in the shooting rules it says something along the lines is you roll to see if your orders are a success and then you measure, if you are too far away to shoot it is considered a fail and the arrows or w/e fall short of their mark.

We haven't gotten a game yet, (I blame Brianís focus level, spent the first day of rule reading with an Irondrake and Organ gun going PEW PEW PEW haha) But we have set up our units in the new formation, Skirmisher seems... too good, 360 degree shooting, everyone in the unit can shoot, I vote we do a pre-ban on Dom being allowed to use Skirmishers Wink but tonight the game shall happen, atleast 1000 points of rule figuring out. LOVE the giving orders things, and counter charges, and "hit the dirt" when your getting shot at AND AND AND... ok Iím excited.

Oh and dwarves only have ONE warmachine... a mortar also no HELICOPTERS. But TK look fun and viable.

(i even spell checked this one for you guys Very Happy )

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Skirmishers used to have all that in 7th edition Warhammer. It was back when Dryads were great and Pegasus Knights were even better.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:39 am

So Dom, can't have ya not posting. Have you looked at Warthrone? Read the 9th edition rules? Hey, this is your thread! Very Happy

At the end of the day, 9th edition or Warthrone - all the same to me. I just want to play a game that feels like Warhammer.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:22 pm

squalie wrote:So Dom, can't have ya not posting. †Have you looked at Warthrone? †Read the 9th edition rules? †Hey, this is your thread! Very Happy

† At the end of the day, 9th edition or Warthrone - all the same to me. †I just want to play a game that feels like Warhammer.

well if everyone is playing warthrone or whatever else is out there i guess im along for the ride, or i have a bunch of really expensive plastic.... and i was going though stuff today and there is a lot of it:|

My post how ever was more of a probe for ideas on what people like. i have already started the ambitious task of creating a game myself , tentatively called oblivion.

The game would feel more like the cross between 7th and 8th eddtion that i think we all like. bringing more options to the game then simply moving your troops forward in hopes your dice are better then the other guys.

some things my game will offer
1> guess ranges back in. i always liked them and although they could cause a fight over that crucial quarter of an inch i am thinking of ways to change that
2> new troop formations, creating different formations that give units benefits based on what formation they are in
3> terrain. no more "dont go in to the woods cause they could come to life and beat the piss out of you" but more hey those trees could provide cover from arrows and conceal troops for surprise attacks
4> fluid movement, making it easier to move about the battle field

I Have not gotten that terribly far as of yet, but i am enjoying coming up with an ideal fantasy world and a way to play in said world. unfortunately my fantasy world is not based off the warhammer world and not all races will be incorporated.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on what kind of magic system they like. right now i am leaning toward the idea of "buying" spells you want in your army list. doing so would be more akin to using a scroll, with no way to stop the effects and once used cannot be used again, also limiting the number of spells a player can cast a turn to how many wizards a player has and ultimately limiting the number of wizards based on the size of game being played

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:36 am

1st major flaw is that your system could be accepted and adopted by our community but to stretch beyond that seems like a point where your game dies. I tried to create my own game system when i saw gw pricing but if you have noone to play against you still have a pile of expensive plastic

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:10 am

Dom, I'm not kidding - you should read the Warthrone rules (40 pages). I think someone already invented your game. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:35 am

i started reading through them. i don't know what it is, maybe just the sporadic nature that they have typed up the rules , but i find it very hard to read not gonna lie. first impression is it confuses me so far, but i will keep reading

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:50 am

I am in my 2nd/3rd reading, keep in mind they were translated from Spanish??? so there will be some curious use of english. As a whole I like them and definitely like to play it on the 12th

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Not joke, almost everything you have come up with Dom comes right out of war throne.

I'm not gonna dissuade you from your idea, hey maybe in a few years a lot of the worlds community will be playing oblivion. But, for right now your game sounds like war throne.

Ive never been as excited for a new game as I am for war throne. The army lists are awesome, and the game reads really good.

I read the Dark elves list and immediately new I wanted to grab my shit out of the closet and get to work on them.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Can you purchase a rulebook or is it only online?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:14 pm

rules and army lists are online. for $49.99 I can have a bound copy made up for you and autographed. go RIDERS

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:44 pm

Ironwoulf wrote:rules and army lists are online. †for $49.99 I can have a bound copy made up for you and autographed. †go RIDERS

You had me until that bit about the Riders!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top