Onslaught in October

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Onslaught in October

Post  Mhael on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:44 am

Same with my wife. When you figure out where you are staying lets make plans to meet up for brekie

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:18 pm

My first choice will be the West Ed mall Inn, across the street from the Mall.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:45 am

Morning lads!

I'm going to be booking a hotel room today, and sticking with the plan of the hotel beside the mall. Kieran got a hold of me (he's a good dude) and offered his basement. I told him since there was at least 4 of us, I'd save him the hassle and get a hotel room. He never responded so I either made him super happy or offended him. Very Happy

Frank and myself will be in Saskatoon by noon at the latest to pick up Carson and Nathan M. Where should we meet to park your cars? I think it'd be cool to be in Edmonton for supper and meet up with Kieran.

I'm curious as to where the gaming community in Edmonton is headed and what "event" there may be next year. Regardless, after Octocon I'll be in Saskatoon more often going full speed on Warthrone and Flames of War. You have been warned.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:37 pm

I'll be trying to get out of work early on Friday (good luck) and trying to get on the road early.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm also leaving Saskatoon at noon. If you guys want you could meet at my house although there won't be much space to park vehicles here for the weekend as Sarah's parents are going to be here watching the kids. Probably we have room for 1 vehicle on the driveway. Once in Edmonton I'm going to want to go for supper or drinks with you guys so keep me in the loop.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:16 pm

All right you deadbeats, I booked the room at the West Ed Mall Inn for Fri-Sat night. Big room, 2 Queens (not including Carson).

The total is $562.44, divided by Me, Carson, Nathan and Frank totals $140.61 each. If I receive $160 each, that will cover fuel and rooms for 2 days, which I think is pretty good?

Frank and I are leaving M.J. early Fri morning to hopefully leave Saskatoon by noon. We'll meet Kieran for supper when he's done work for 6. We can check in and walk across to the restaurants and talk all night long about our stupid hobby.

Sounds like a great weekend!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Has anyone sent in their army list. I knew I was supposed to and didn't. I'm going to take an Orc army instead of WOC. I figure its an appropriate way to end Warhammer, with a mighty waagh!

Its gonna be a great weekend!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Send them to edmontononslaught@gmail.com

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:33 am

I had issues sending my list so i texted ward. He said he wasnt too worried about lists from us saskatoonians. Kudos on playing fun lists at their tournies guys. My wife works until five but i have friday off if you guys need me to take some armies up.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:35 am

Mhael wrote:I had issues sending my list so i texted ward. He said he wasnt too worried about lists from us saskatoonians. Kudos on playing fun lists at their tournies guys. My wife works until five but i have friday off if you guys need me to take some armies up.

Every year we drive up proud that we take soft lists and every year we drive back complaining that we bring a knife to a gun fight. Lol Frank and I should be in the Toon around 11 and we'll pick up Nathan M first and then find out where Carson is parking his car, pick him up, grab lunch and then we're off!

If you're around all day Andre, I think by the time we have all our stuff in my car we'll evaluate whether we're dropping armies off to you or not. I'll send you a text either way so you know. Thanks for the offer.

Carson, where are you parking your car?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:00 am

I should have room in my car as well but I think you have it all covered. Let me know what when you guys hit Saskatoon and I'll try and get on the road at the same time. Convoy it up!

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:36 am

Carson if you want you can park your car on my driveway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Since Nathan is not bringing an army, I think we'll have enough room in the trunk. Thanks a bunch though Andre!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm going to leave my car at my daughters place, Ill talk to Don tonight to get the plans in order.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:35 am

I know this is really short notice, but I was wondering if any of you fine gents have a single chaos warrior laying around, cluttering things up, or just generally causing chaos in your work/storage space. If so, I'd be willing to take the dastardly fellow off your hands at the upcoming tournament.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:34 am

Ill check and its yours if I have one.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 am

Anyone have an extra small round template and a scatter dice? Mine have gone missing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 am

I do I could always give to Don to take if need be

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:59 am

That would be awesome, thanks!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:03 pm

I for sure have an extra multitemplate i will bring

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Sorry sir. Don has long since left moose jaw.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:38 pm

SOOOO.... How was it?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:33 pm

It was good. I had a great time, had three losses and I can tell you the exact moment each one fell apart for me. My one win was more luck than skill. All but one of the games were deemed draws though because the tournament victory conditions stated that to win you needed double your opponent's victory points.

I really like 8th edition. I wish we could just keep playing it forever. Damn you GW!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Hey, I really enjoyed the tournament as well. The whole doubling your opponent's victory points was a little over the top (3000 points killed in the last game and it was a draw). I had some great fun rolling dice and even getting trampled by white lions was fun.

The drive back hung over was a little rough though.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm

All right, so back from Onslaught and I have a few things to say!

Had a great time of course as Ward puts on a good show and since he's a nice guy it'd be hard to rag on the event.  I had 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss. You'll find a lot of fellows had draws on the weekend as to win you needed to DOUBLE the victory points of your opponent. That cost me a win in the second game as even though I had taken 1380 victory points from opponent, he took 714 from me which resulted a draw.  Oh well, it's my only real criticism of the event and didn't really take away from the fun I had.  I played against Mike and his Empire (won), Wil and his Wood Elves (draw, but I won), Kieran and his High Elves (draw, but I lost by about 35 points?) and then Andre and his Organ Guns - er, I mean Dwarf army.  Andre had taken so much from me after his very first turn, I could only really play for a draw after that.  I simply put my hand out after awhile and my Tomb Kings sunk back into the desert for the last 8th game ever.  Seems fitting really.

I had mixed feelings as I was having fun playing 8th edition, but remembered that 8th is dead. It just is. I felt I could keep playing 8th, but have to remind myself that that's an emotional feeling based on nostalgia.  There were certain things that reminded me what I didn't like about 8th and certain army balances that make me grind my teeth.  I have to admit that Warthrone is a better ruleset, and I still feel that's the direction I'd like to go.  GW gave me 20 years of super fun gaming - a lifestyle really, but it's time to move on and simply appreciate the memories I have.

Having said THAT, I'm going to try to attend any future events that intrigue me, whether they are 8th edition, 9th edition or even Age of Sigmar.  I have my choice of game (Warthrone) but I don't need it to be anything specific really.  I'd rather play almost any game with the friends I've made in the hobby instead of not playing at all simply because we wouldn't play Warthrone (or whatever).  I've realised the game is secondary.  If my gaming friends wanted to play 40K, then I'd play 40K - with the guys I like and probably have a ton of fun doing it as it'd be one of the boys on the other side of the table.

So, with probably my last true GW event behind me, I'm putting in a strong vote for Warthrone.  I say that bitter sweetly but I think it's moving backwards to support a game that doesn't exist.

I agree Nathan - damn you GW.  F******* damn you.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top