Looking for a morning game this Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for a morning game this Saturday.

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Hey, I'd like to throw some dice this Saturday morning. 1900 late war.......takers?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for a morning game this Saturday.

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:11 pm

I could do that, 10:30?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:01 am

perfect,

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:16 am

Let's play at the Den. Does anyone have a key to the FOW terrain cabinet?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Lorne will probably have one.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Yep, he's cutting me one this week!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Smile Well - there you go!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:33 pm

So, as the fog lifted, the sun revealed an advance kampfgruppe of the SS totenkopft in prepared positions holding a small bridgehead. The Red devils were determined to destroy these units before German reinforcements could arrive.........

Nathan and myself squared off this morning in "the cauldron" mission. Great game. Nathan played it smart and attacked quickly towards the objectives heedless of casualties. I held on, but made the mistake of not moving my reinforcements fast enough towards the objectives.

Flames of war is a great game, can't wait until the next. Thanks Nathan.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 am

Sounds exciting - any pictures?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:35 am

It was a very fun game and we totally should have taken pictures. Flames of War is a very visual game and this one was no exception. Carson played this one as well as he could have. His one glaring mistake was not bringing in his Panzers as his first reserves. That would have made it very interesting and probably wouldn't have gone quite as well for me.

As it was, his infantry were really hard to shift but the Red Devils got it done. They would have been in for quite the fight if we had continued though, 8 Panzer IV's were bearing down on their position.

Air support was pretty ineffective all game for both sides. I used up my dice stopping Carson's planes at the start and I think we each killed a stand of infantry with our planes. I'll keep the planes around though, they're good for pinning down infantry prior to an assault and they're good at taking out heavy armour (or at least scaring heavy armour).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm

nathanr wrote:

Air support was pretty ineffective all game for both sides.  I used up my dice stopping Carson's planes at the start and I think we each killed a stand of infantry with our planes.  I'll keep the planes around though, they're good for pinning down infantry prior to an assault and they're good at taking out heavy armour (or at least scaring heavy armour).
Planes come after assaults also if you infantry are assaulting the plane probably should have been waived off.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:05 pm

I don't think that's right, don't planes fire at the end of the shooting step? So long as they are outside of 16" of any friendly troops they could fire, leave and then the assault could happen.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:22 pm

nathanr wrote:I don't think that's right, don't planes fire at the end of the shooting step?  So long as they are outside of 16" of any friendly troops they could fire, leave and then the assault could happen.
I will double check my rule book when I get home.
But as far as I know the Assault rules appear before the Air rules as an assault & consolidation move can carry you into waive off distance.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm looking at the rulebook and you roll for your plane and place it at the beginning of the turn, and then resolve the shooting after all other shooting is complete at the end of the shooting phase. When you place the airplane it can be anywhere on the table but if friendlies are within 16" when it comes time to shoot the plane is waved off.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:40 pm

Or if the enemy is too close to a building, etc..

I love the ideas of planes, but there seems to be limited opportunities for them.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 pm

I've used planes a little and with my tank company I find them next to useless. Only thing they're good for if you're a fast moving aggressive army is to pin down artillery at the rear and maybe knock out a few incoming enemy tanks if they are coming on as reserve. Overall I've never once spent points on any anti aircraft units and I haven't ever wished I had after a game.

The genre needs air rules but I've never felt like it was an important phase of the game at all. Maybe I'd feel different if I were an infantry player. Even then I've found it pretty easy to defend against air simply by getting up in the enemy guts.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm

If the enemy is too close to a building (or forest) it just means you have to roll to range in.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 pm

I keep getting stuck on putting AA in every list. Since I play British armoured and my super cool Cromwells move 16", It's not somrthing I should need to rely on.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 pm

nathanr wrote:If the enemy is too close to a building (or forest) it just means you have to roll to range in.

I forgot about that! That means it's even worse! Just having the waive off rule was hard enough. I think biggest reason people use air is because you're probably playing a 1900 pnt late war game and why not throw some in at that point level.

I bet at 1500 point late war nobody would bother. 1500 point mid war and for sure not.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:06 pm

I keep it in for my late war at almost all point levels. First, because it gives me something that has a somewhat decent chance of taking down the heavy armour. Second, because it affects where my opponent deploys and moves their tanks. If they see my typhoon sitting on the side of the table they are going to spread out and stick to the buildings and forests as much as possible.

Mid-war the allies definitely don't have as good options for air support and I don't think it's as necessary as there isn't as much really heavy armour around.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:35 am

nathanr wrote:I'm looking at the rulebook and you roll for your plane and place it at the beginning of the turn, and then resolve the shooting after all other shooting is complete at the end of the shooting phase.  When you place the airplane it can be anywhere on the table but if friendlies are within 16" when it comes time to shoot the plane is waved off.
You are 100% correct - it happens in the shooting step after all other shooting = page190

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 am

nathanr wrote:
I keep it in for my late war at almost all point levels.  First, because it gives me something that has a somewhat decent chance of taking down the heavy armour.  
100% agreed!
nathanr wrote:
Second, because it affects where my opponent deploys and moves their tanks.
110% agreed!  
nathanr wrote:
Mid-war the allies definitely don't have as good options for air support and I don't think it's as necessary as there isn't as much really heavy armour around.
However, this is where the Axis have the best chance to have air support - having priority or limited. Thus making Allied air support more of an interceptor.[/quote]

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:42 am

I had it in my list Saturday because I had a 100 extra points and didn't know what else to take. 1900 is a lot of points and really spoils the player with choices.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:00 am

Still think air is worthless. You may have a point about heavy armour in late war but I've always found smoke and some infantry were more than enough. I think in around a dozen games air has cost me a couple shermans tops, nothing more. What it's gained me when it was my choice was probably less than that.

I've even seen a couple times an opponent NOT reveal an ambusher because they wanted to get another shot in with their air. That's a potato head move for sure!

So you boys have fun with your air support, I'll just stick to the old gas pedal defense!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:27 am

See that's a fair point too. When you are playing with all tanks you can get in close quickly and negate or at least minimize the air threat so that I can only target the outsiders and stragglers. I don't really see how infantry at AT2 are going to take down a Tiger with top armour of 2 though, I guess you may have an AT4 bazooka or PIAT team in the mix but a Typhoon has rockets that hit top armour with AT6.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top