Switching to 40K??!!?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switching to 40K??!!?

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm switching to 40k. Age of Sigmar can eat my nuts harder than 8th ed.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Switching to 40K??!!?

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:35 pm

I'd have to see that to believe it....besides you've had kids, your nuts are long gone buddy.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:45 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I'm switching to 40k.  Age of Sigmar can eat my nuts harder than 8th ed.

I'll believe it when I see pics of your 40k army....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Don I already have a couple 40K armies. Black Templar and Grey knights. However for the short term I'm just using my nurgle stuff for a demon army. Boom. Done.

The advantage is basing them kids up round on 32's means that if somehow, someWAY age of Sigmar gets playable I have my army ready to go.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Are you actually playing 40k?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 pm

going to start some small scale games and trying out a map based campaign with a couple of dudes. Completing the total threadjack here are some thoughts that sprang up...

Fantasy is just dead to me now. Even though I hated the game play in 8th now that even that's gone I realize there was so much more I desired from a hobby that GW was giving me even as an inactive player. Sitting around trying to read the starter book from Age fo Sigmar I just couldn't. It's just... meh. It feels SO MUCH like episode I to me it's just stinging. Mitichlorians and lighting fueled humans are about the same to me.

I was sitting in my thinking room on my great white throne and having caught up on my comics I tried thumbing through Age of Sigmar again. What's the point though? I could read through old army books over and over again, looking at points costs thinking of fun armies to play or even play against but this new stuff is so far past retarded it kicks my junk just thinking of it. Who thought players wanted this shit?!?! Flames of War is a superior game, it's just awesome. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in awesome games and WWII but it just doesn't hit the same spot for me. You can't really put your own mark on anything like you can a GW army. Painting the stuff is an exercise in endurance and not the same thing I feel when painting up 28mm customizable army stuff. So FoW is out for me as my primary hobby game.

So where to go? I refuse to play a game that is only playable by having a secret handshake before the game in deciding which of the rules you're going to ignore. Of the FOUR FUCKING PAGES of rules by the way. Mantic stepping up and trying to poach things is a smart move on their part, it just feels like "I can't believe it's not Warhammer" so that's out. Really 40K offers the stuff I want from Fantasy, cool fluff, great mini's, customizable, great painting opportunites, it just happens to be a pretty shitty game on the tabletop. It's nuts to me that the gameplay is not even a secondary consideration anymore but the let down I've had personally with fantasy for the last several years has really lowered my expectations on the tabletop.

So there it is. I'm not proud of it but looks like I'm going to be a 40K dude. Not a gung ho tourney guy, just need the points system and fluff to drive some painting is all.

I backed some kickstarters about ten years ago that should be showing up anyday now. I backed the holy hell out of Aliens vs. Predator mini game as well as the Fallen Frontiers 54mm sci fi skirmish game. So when they show up I got some more options. If I could convince a few of youse clowns to try painting up and trying out Malifaux I'd be down for that as well.

In the mean time 40k for me, Age of Sigmar can tongue my shitter.

How could something so stupid get released? 4 pages of rules huh. Man oh man.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Jesus holy hell, you took the wind outta my sails....

I love the 40k models myself and considered starting, but didn't want to get involved with the certain "type" that seems to permeate the 40k hobby. I did mention to Carson a few times that maybe the game is better playing with better dudes?

Chats over beer another time, or in another thread.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 am

Shit guys, say it ain't so!  The really shitty thing is, I would play 40K if it was a small-scale skirmish type game.  Leave all the big tanks and flyers at home and base the game around a small group and I'd be in with both feet.  The tau fire warriors have been calling my name since I first saw them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:48 am

I can't really comment as to how the game plays as I haven't tried, but I do have a craving for some tyranid or skitarii models. I'd like an Eldar army būt I heard they were broken so I'd like to avoid that.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:42 pm

http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.ca/p/kill-team-rules.html

This looks like the sort of thing I'd be interested in for 40K. I thought that there was an official Killteams ruleset a while back, maybe it isn't supported anymore.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Yeah we've talked about it. I'd only play it with people I knew and liked. Isn't 40k the game that does require a secret handshake beforehand, namely I won't be a dick in army build if you won't be a dick in army build.

Can't you bring anything you want with no build requirements just like a game that's been released lately?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Dunno about that Carson, can't say. Here's what I know for sure about 40K...

-Game isn't that good. Guys with guns getting stabbed by guys with knives is stupid.
-Game has awesome mini's.
-Game has awesome fluff
-It's got a point based system.

Does ti require a secret handshake to keep the game from getting stupid? I think so, yeah. From what I've heard. Mostly this is just like we have ALWAYS done in fantasy where the dudes you regularly play against kind of understand a requirement to continued involvement in the community is making armies where BOTH players have fun on the table. Fantasy has alaways had those "things" that were just supre un fun and boring to play with and against. Over powered items etc.

Here's what 40k does NOT have for me...

-ANY expectations of being a good game. Fantasy used to be great for me now it's a pantload of shit and tears. Somehow my low expectations of 40k make it acceptable for me to try it out and not care about tabletop outcome as much if at all.
-A desire to push and build any kind of community. When I was a strong part of Fantasy I always wanted to try and get as many good dudes in the mix as possible. With 40K (and with everything in my life now) I feel I can just really pick and choose who and what I wanna roll dice around.

Amyways, I'm enjoying painting up some Nurgley stuff with a purpose now.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Rage of Sigmar.

Well sorry to hear that's how you feel about the game. I honestly get it. I was never super into fantasy it was ok for me, the fluff was fun (rehashed real world history but hey whatever). Age of Sigmar actually interests me from the point that it is simple to play but there is for sure alot of hidden strategy from the way you position models on the table (forward facing v's for example are good charge absorbers since they can limit how many enemies get to attack). I cant comment on the fluff since i havent read much of it. I hear its pretty weak though and you seem to affirm this. But who knows maybe it will get better as time goes on? The game has been out little more than a month and i do think its intended to be a progressive thing. I will wait to see more before making any calls for sure but for me it is far more interesting that fantasy was (i think potential for smaller model count also appeals to me).

As for 40k Saskatoon has a decent group of players. We are currently trying to get a 40k night set up every thursday. That may change since there can be a decent turn out for warmachine/hordes players that night as well and the den isnt that big to begin with. The game itself i enjoy quite a bit. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and there are some codex choices that make you wonder what drugs gw employees take but overall ends up being relatively balanced since everything has its strengths. If you take the right tools and use them effectively while denying your opponent the chance to neutralize them you can beat any army. In my opinion a balanced army will be superior to any cheese list your opponent can come up with. The flexibility and mobility in 40k makes it a much faster game than fantasy, atleast when it comes to pacing. Its faster than AoS even though with way more complexity. But thats ok because there are machine guns and lazer beams not bows and arrows and i feel both systems rules reflect the pacing of those settings.

As far as armies go. I like them all. Collect what you like for models thats how I started back in 5th edition 40k with eldar who were considered to be the worst off back then. Sure i lost for 6 months straight but it taught me the game. Then i won majority of games after that. Why? because i knew the game better than my opponent and had great list diversity which allowed me to beat anything. (and yes back then eldar models were way over point costed).

Anyways i digress point i wanted to make is 40k isnt so bad. And every fantasy forum i've ever been on just bashes 40k and i can tell majority of people there have never even played the game and i didnt want that to be the main thing here (though maybe it already is XD).

If you dont like AoS that's ok, try out other games and let us know how they are maybe we can try them out too.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:32 am

I like the cut of this guy's jib. If Age of Sigmar brings in more guys like this it is worth playing. I've often looked at 40K but never seriously. I just can't bring myself to start yet another tabletop game. I'm already stretched pretty thin with Fantasy/AoS and flames of war.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:09 am

Not sure where I'm going with this as my gaming brain is upside down, but if I started 40k I'd be interested in Skitarii, Tyranids and Eldar in that order.

That is all.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:13 pm

I played 40k from 1st edition to 4th edition hopefully its improved. I have several armies already painted so I am good that way.... Those guys are pretty dusty though.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:08 pm

I've been thinking about 40k since AOS released. If I did start an army, I'd probably go Eldar (or Tau).

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:44 pm

I'd do Dark Eldar.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:03 pm

GeoffKlassen wrote:I played 40k from 1st edition to 4th edition hopefully its improved.  I have several armies already painted so I am good that way....  Those guys are pretty dusty though.  

Lol yes much improved. In alot of 40k players opinion 7th is the best edition the game has had.

@carson, Dark Eldar are great! they are a very finesse army. If you know what you are doing you can stylishly dismantle your opponent, if you have poor strategy though they will turn you into mince meat lol

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Deadlytoaster wrote:
GeoffKlassen wrote:I played 40k from 1st edition to 4th edition hopefully its improved.  I have several armies already painted so I am good that way....  Those guys are pretty dusty though.  

Lol yes much improved. In alot of 40k players opinion 7th is the best edition the game has had.

@carson, Dark Eldar are great! they are a very finesse army. If you know what you are doing you can stylishly dismantle your opponent, if you have poor strategy though they will turn you into mince meat lol

Sounds like a perfect army.

What about Skitarii and Tyranids? I gotta know!!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:10 pm

squalie wrote:
Deadlytoaster wrote:

Sounds like a perfect army.

What about Skitarii and Tyranids?  I gotta know!!

Tyranids have kinda gotten the short end of the stick for awhile now so they will likely get really good this next release XD (i dont know that but it would be my guess). I haven't looked at them too much this edition but i've felt they've always been decent. They are typically a synergistic type army, using superior numbers with big monsters to provide abilities and some extra hitting power to your list. They also have an insane list of formations they can take so that's kind of a plus too i guess haha.

Skitarii are ridiculously good. (not OP just very strong). I dont know them very well since they are a completely brand new army but if you want a collection of super detailed models with strong rules to go with them they are a solid choice.

PS Dark Eldar range are all new models as well so they are very high quality plastic minis which is another huge boon in their favor (not like regular eldar who have some good kits and then some that are litterally from 1999, not even kidding just look at swooping hawks on gws site and look at their guns....)

PPS Skitari are also part of the imperium meaning they have tons of options for allies, which is another plus

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

I havent popped in for awhile but thought Id come over and see how the AoS was going over.. I knew Scott was starting some nurgle marines so wanted to see how the rest of the community was adjusting.

If anyone's interested, our forums are over at huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com .

I've been running the same league in the city for .. oh, 10+ years. Guys come and go over the years, but a lot have stuck around and i know Scott and Carson know quite a few of us. We definitely don't have any issues with bad seeds or "those guys", at least currently, although we have had our share over the years, just like any other community. What kind of stories have you guys been hearing?

40k 's at an interesting place right now.. lots of good but yeah.. a few bad. The core game and rules are really solid right now.. but you can create some ridiculous armies without some reigning in. The commu ity does a good job at keeping lists in check .. but for the most part it never comes up. You can play standard style lists.. but there is also an option included in the book to basically play whatever you want with no force org. Dont worry though.. youll never play a game like that inless you want to. You usually set things out ahead of time like .. 1750 points, no Warlords type of thing. Its pretty mellow and the games are always laid back. The majority of the active community right now are beer and fun type of guys.

Brian's done a great job at summarizing up top.. but let me know if you have any other questions.

Robyn

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:22 pm

How often do you guys get together and where?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Most games are at the den, although several people have set-ups at their house as well. People play whenever for the most part throughout the week. Looks like a group of guys will be having a few games there tommorow night, tournament on Oct. 3rd.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top