Flames of War Eras

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:57 am

Instead of hijacking another thread I thought I would start my own - what do you play and why do you prefer ___x___ era for Flames of War?

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:26 am

I play Late war, mostly because it captures my imagination most. It's the part of the war that everyone hears about, and movies and video games get made about. It's also the part of the war when the allies started to actually win consistently which is likely why all the movies and video games are set in that time period.

I like Late war. You get the best equipment and a ton of options. It seems to me that the 1900 point level is set a bit high. At that level I can take everything I want without having to make any hard choices. If the point level was 1700 or even 1500 I'd have to decide whether or not I actually wanted air support or cromwells or recce or or or...

I played a game of mid-war recently and it was good too. I didn't like that my 6 pdrs had no HE but I did like that my shermans were considered "heavy" tanks. Of course they didn't have much hope against the Tiger but that was pretty much historically accurate so it didn't really bother me.

Early war just doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe because it is unfamiliar. I don't know (or care) what a "Matilda" is, I don't care much about the French either, cavalry vs tanks just seems wrong and in early war the allies seem like punching bags. I might consider a Norwegian early war list but it doesn't appeal to me enough to spend the money on it. I feel like I've got more than enough Flames of War action in Mid and Late war, probably even just late war.

nathanr

Posts : 4378
Join date : 2008-06-10
Age : 34
Location : Saskatoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 pm

nathanr wrote:I play Late war, mostly because it captures my imagination most.  It's the part of the war that everyone hears about, and movies and video games get made about.  It's also the part of the war when the allies started to actually win consistently which is likely why all the movies and video games are set in that time period.
Movies
- like Enemy at the Gates (MW)?
- Thin Red Line (MW)?
- like Pearl Harbor (EW)?
Stalingrad, Kursk, & Rommel's Desert Fox main era = all MW (well Desert Fox started EW actually)
But I see your point the Allies started to "win" more in LW
Movies like:
- Saving Private Ryan (LW)
- Market Garden (LW) - oh, well they almost won that one Wink
But you said consistently so pretty close I think. And, yet I agree as we are from Saskatchewan so Dieppe was a bad failure in MW but because of it we learned a lot and were a lot more successful on Juno Beach

nathanr wrote: I like Late war.  You get the best equipment and a ton of options.
Then you will love Vietnam & FoaN - truly incredible stuff -> Jeeps with Breakthrough guns!
nathanr wrote: 
It seems to me that the 1900 point level is set a bit high.  At that level I can take everything I want without having to make any hard choices.

Understood but you are an infantry player - not a tank player. Bear that in mind. It makes a considerable difference.

nathanr wrote:
 If the point level was 1700 or even 1500 I'd have to decide whether or not I actually wanted air support or cromwells or recce or or or...
Agreed - but again you are an infantry player - ask this same question to Don

nathanr wrote:
I played a game of mid-war recently and it was good too.  I didn't like that my 6 pdrs had no HE but I did like that my shermans were considered "heavy" tanks.  Of course they didn't have much hope against the Tiger but that was pretty much historically accurate so it didn't really bother me.
Interesting how another era shows off how tank evolution came to be. Now, I am pretty sure you can smoke with your Shermans and AT10 in MW is still impressive - with HE. They were an all around good tank. Personally, I really like how they eventually evolve into the ISherman (making the Fireflies look wimpy).
nathanr wrote:
Early war just doesn't appeal to me at all.  Maybe because it is unfamiliar.
My guess is that might be quite a bit of the reasoning
nathanr wrote:
 I don't know (or care) what a "Matilda" is,
The Soviets may still field them in LW and they are something your infantry should be wary of as even as a slow tank they typically roll over infantry lists.
nathanr wrote:
I don't care much about the French either,
No? They have some of the best special rules in the game. A French infantry list just won at the American EW Nationals.
nathanr wrote:
cavalry vs tanks just seems wrong
Agreed that is why it never happened historically or is allowed in the game either. However, my guess is you have yet to be ridden down by a cavalry charge. Infantry break off is 6" = not enough to escape = infantry fight or die.
nathanr wrote:
and in early war the allies seem like punching bags.
Historically they were (but not always) - game wise I totally disagree
nathanr wrote:
 I might consider a Norwegian early war list but it doesn't appeal to me enough to spend the money on it.  I feel like I've got more than enough Flames of War action in Mid and Late war, probably even just late war.
And, that's fair enough - although my point about EW, FoaN, & Vietnam is - don't knock it until you try it.

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Thinking I should also post myself:
Great War - with currently only two lists I am not quite sure if I want to plunge into this era
EW WWII - the terrible tanks, the bizarre equipment, & the chance to change history = one of my favorites!
MW WWII - in my honest opinion this is the most balanced era and makes for "fair" games
LW WWII - with the codex creep, the sheer scale of special rules, & the asinine amount of equipment you can field makes me wonder why I like this era so much
Pacific WWII - unsure if this is a separate era or not = a wait & see
FoaN - this is quickly becoming my favorite era -> it is fast (lighting fast) I can play two games in the time it takes to play one WWII game!
Vietnam - I have only played it twice now and I am quite pleased with my ANZAC and the PAVN are quite dangerous!
Team Yankee - I am looking forward to this but will be going to a smaller scale 6mm minis while still using BF rules


Last edited by |marauder| on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Mid war is best! It's the only period I can wrap my head around the concept of a "fair fight". An early war German vs. Polish game at equal points just doesn't seem right to me. Much like a late war German vs. anyone fight. Mid war is where I think FoW really shines, I think that's where ti was designed and that's the period I think plays best.

Late war I play mostly because that seems to be what kids are doing. I'd be happy never playing LW again and just running mid war. In fact, I just decided that's what I do now. 1900 is way, way too many points. And I'm a tank player. At late war it just doesn't make you cut the list down and boil it to it's essential parts. I like the tight lists I see at 1500 personally.

I just decided I only play 1500 point mid war. Boom. That just happened!!!

ScottRadom

Posts : 2156
Join date : 2008-04-18
Age : 40
Location : Saskatoon, SK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:49 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Mid war is best!  It's the only period I can wrap my head around the concept of a "fair fight".
Agreed!
ScottRadom wrote:
 An early war German vs. Polish game at equal points just doesn't seem right to me.  
No? Historically the Poles were holding their own quite a bit against the Germans. And, in quite a few cases were beating them back. It was only when the Soviets came from the other direction did they pull out. And, even then a good portion of the army was extracted.
ScottRadom wrote:
Much like a late war German vs. anyone fight.
Really? Again I do not agree  
ScottRadom wrote:
Mid war is where I think FoW really shines, I think that's where ti was designed and that's the period I think plays best.
No question - very much in agreement here.
ScottRadom wrote:
Late war I play mostly because that seems to be what kids are doing.  I'd be happy never playing LW again and just running mid war.  In fact, I just decided that's what I do now.  1900 is way, way too many points.  And I'm a tank player.
What tanks do you run?
ScottRadom wrote:
 At late war it just doesn't make you cut the list down and boil it to it's essential parts.  I like the tight lists I see at 1500 personally.
For Late War?
ScottRadom wrote:
I just decided I only play 1500 point mid war.  Boom.  That just happened!!!
Wait - for Mid War - you don't have anything on the table?

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:41 pm

I run 'Mericans mostly. Used to do Mid war Panzerkompanie as well.

Historically the Poles were holding there own, until the Russians came in. Uhm... listen... it's like saying for the first 6 seconds I held my own vs. Tyson but then he really decided to punch me. Pound for pound the Poles have nothing to be ashamed of it's just pound for pound they were a featherweight fighting Godzilla. And Godzilla had air superiority to boot.

Late war Germany gets to fight holding actions or the odd pocket offensive here and there but Late war east front is just depressing and west front just feels like a foregone conclusion. I mean the war is over it just feels like I'm playing out a portion of inevitability.

Side bar, that's why I like(d) warhammer so much. It had a great feel to it where there was no historical outcome and anything truly went. Now... stab me.

ScottRadom

Posts : 2156
Join date : 2008-04-18
Age : 40
Location : Saskatoon, SK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:57 am

It's amazing how I always seem to get into historical debates with people who know more than I do. I always seem to get great analogies and comparisons that are over the top; then I usually get hit with the fact that I am in an argument/debate with a history professor, or a marine, or they write for Battlefront themselves.
And, to be honest I usually come off learning something I did not know.
Fair enough
However, I usually have most of my facts correct and I pretty much do my research before going off half cocked.
So no I am not going to stab you - you "win" the Poles didn't have a chance - Godzilla beat them with Mothra from above
I respect your opinion about MW being both balanced and the best era for fairness
However please check out this site:
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/invasion-of-poland-fall-weiss.htm
It addresses a few myths and maybe you might learn something you didn't know.

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Look, they had no chance.  We agree.  Poles are great fighters and handled themselves well.  So I won't get into a debate or anything.  I'll just let this informative video do my talking.  When you have an opponent you are going to inevitably crush much like recently in Iraq when you meet resistance you don't fix bayonets and charge.  You just hang tight and call in your boy Sweet Tea.


ScottRadom

Posts : 2156
Join date : 2008-04-18
Age : 40
Location : Saskatoon, SK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:15 pm

that was the shit!!!!!!

_________________
What is best in life?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of thier women.

Carson
Admin

Posts : 2779
Join date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:12 am

I am unable to open the video link & I am guessing you didn't read the first link I posted - here is yet another more to the point link:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/06/myth-of-polish-cavalry-charge

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:08 am

Sure I read your article, and the one you just posted. Why would you assume I didn't? This side bar started because I loathe the notion of a fair fight in both ew and lw FoW games. Does it seem right to you to play an even strength (points wise) battle between Poles and German in September 1939?

I am not commenting on the individual prowess of the Polish soldier or even their organization as a whole during the war for their own soil. They're probably the shit and fighting a battle for your home you know you can't win is the very definition of courage. I'm not sure what myths or lack of education on the subject you hoped to provide for me in either of the articles you posted.

The Poles got rocked flatter than hammered shit. Germans took their portion of the country in roughly one month and took some casualties. So... what was your point again?

ScottRadom

Posts : 2156
Join date : 2008-04-18
Age : 40
Location : Saskatoon, SK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:49 am

I think what Scott is getting at is that while early war FOW is designed to be balanced, the historical fights that are being represented were not. Same goes for late war but for the other side. Probably why he likes Mid War where the final outcome of the war wasn't certain.

nathanr

Posts : 4378
Join date : 2008-06-10
Age : 34
Location : Saskatoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:21 pm

I'll respond to this thread when I have more time, but lance plays Devils advocate better than anyone I have ever met, and is also one of the most literal people I have ever met.

You have to dance carefully around this one or he drags you down with counter points. Smile

squalie

Posts : 3495
Join date : 2008-06-05
Location : Moose Jaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  LorSve on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm

EW is probably my preferred era currently, followed by LW.

EW- lower points value, assaults are more common/viable. It hasn't been played as long or as much so its more "new" at least to me. A bit more varied in nations played and less special rules.

MW-I really like the history/concept of the 1942 Africa lists but game wise there's really no reason to not play out of Eastern Front. Its largely due to the repointed LW equipment that makes this era uninteresting to me.

LW- 1900 I feel is too high to create a reasonable opportunity or opening to exploit. Basically just a lot more shooting as the amount of defensive fire/ tank assault makes assaults less viable. Battles around Normandy area(Mid 1944) are the most interesting to me.

LorSve

Posts : 57
Join date : 2015-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:17 pm

I havn't played enough games yet to hold too much of an opinion. Ive played mid and late and enjoy them both. I can see about 1900 being too many points as it really doesn't force you to make hard decisions in your list building.

_________________
What is best in life?
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of thier women.

Carson
Admin

Posts : 2779
Join date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:35 am

squalie wrote:

 You have to dance carefully around this one or he drags you down with counter points. Smile
...thanks Don...I think Wink

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Anyone looking at Team Yankee?
Thinking of going 6mm myself

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  LorSve on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:29 pm

They have stock at the den but I don't see myself getting into post WWII.

LorSve

Posts : 57
Join date : 2015-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 pm

It doesn't really appeal to me like the WWII setting does. Even in flames of war I'm not really drawn to early war or even mid-war that much. Probably because my favourite war movies and shows are set in the later parts of the war.

nathanr

Posts : 4378
Join date : 2008-06-10
Age : 34
Location : Saskatoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:36 am

I'm going to take a look at Team Yankee next week.

ScottRadom

Posts : 2156
Join date : 2008-04-18
Age : 40
Location : Saskatoon, SK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  |marauder| on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:42 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I'm going to take a look at Team Yankee next week.
What do you think?

|marauder|

Posts : 527
Join date : 2015-03-21
Age : 42
Location : Regina

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Eras

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:26 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum