Age of Sigmar Games

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Age of Sigmar Games

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Well a little disappointed i didnt get to play any games today but watching one was awesome. I think that the points from 8th help balance model count, however i will say there is a huge difference between an army that has been built with synergy in mind vs one that hasn't or at least doesn't maximize the synergy it could have (plus poor Carson's dice were being evil today). But thats where synergy comes in, any rules that generate more attacks or allow you re-rolls seem key to effectiveness. As far as shooting into combat it seems very fair and balanced. Now im not sure if wood elves are an exception to the rule or not because their shooting is far more accurate and powerful than skeletons but time will tell. I guess the trick is just running up and charging them when possible.

All in all i liked what i saw and im excited to play some games!

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Dont forget neither undead army pulled out any kind of summoning which is most likely a huge part of their armies Im sure. Its like what Don and myself saw when I played Barcley's VC, zombies and ghouls are cool and all but you need lots of them otherwise they just get walked over by elite units like DE's or Warriors.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Played my first game of AOS yesterday. First impression....loved it. I went in very, very skeptical but came out with an appreciation for a "new" and "very different" game. That being said......it has to have an army building system to have two balanced armies. I can't imagine playing with two lopsided armies. We played 1250 point armies right out of the 8th edition books and it seemed perfectly balanced.

I was steamrolled yesterday but still really enjoyed the game, It was the first game for me and as Bryan mentioned.....you have to have army synergy. The game really is all about making all the units work for each other.

Major points I enjoyed......magic was not game winning but helpful, characters are not armies unto themselves but are still essential to the game. Their are really tons of army builds to make for each army depending on what type of characters you take.

easily learnable for younger and inexperienced folk.....Aiden will be playing real games!

The only thing I wasn't too excited about was the initiative roll at the start of every turn. Games can be decided upon who has the luckiest rolls in this phase. That being said, I believe this can be mitigated by experienced play. Yesterday I faced back to back double turns from Don and he pounded my face in.

Its definitely not Warhammer 8th, which I still love. but its a good game by itself.......with balanced army building!!!!!!

Another great thing about AOS is the potential to build armies you never thought you would. Always wanted to play Brets......now I can for a minimal investment. I think They will even be a competitive army.

So, all in all, I'm pretty excited about what's happening with the hobby right now. I can see us playing both systems with equal enjoyment.

On another note, Darren and AL mentioned that their GW rep informed them that the game would be expanded for optional mass battles similar to 8th edition.

Now to decide what new army to buy now!!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Carson wrote:On another note, Darren and AL mentioned that their GW rep informed them that the game would be expanded for optional mass battles similar to 8th edition.

Really? Thats pretty exciting! Mass battles...i wonder if it will retain the AoS type of units though (as opposed to ranked up units like 8th) i suspect they will. I also suspect thats where we will see real comp rules as well as a few additional rules to help move that many units and ensure their interactions. So i guess that leaves the question for the current ruleset, how will it fit in? How many models is it good up to? Time will tell i guess.

Carson wrote:The only thing I wasn't too excited about was the initiative roll at the start of every turn. Games can be decided upon who has the luckiest rolls in this phase. That being said, I believe this can be mitigated by experienced play. Yesterday I faced back to back double turns from Don and he pounded my face in.

Yeah initiative is good and bad because it does really influence how you place and position your models. It also gives the game a risk/reward type balance (or unblance i guess depending on how you look at it). But it makes you gamble whether to bank on getting 2 turns in a row or not. I will say in the can hammer comp system posted up in points comp thread they had scenarios where some used initiative rule and some did not so i think maybe that is where some balance can come from for that aspect.

Carson wrote:Another great thing about AOS is the potential to build armies you never thought you would. Always wanted to play Brets......now I can for a minimal investment. I think They will even be a competitive army.

So, all in all, I'm pretty excited about what's happening with the hobby right now. I can see us playing both systems with equal enjoyment.

Yeah bretonnians are a cool army! I had dabble with the idea of starting a force of them several times. I just wish they had gotten some newer knight models but oh well. I will likely grab a small force of some dark elves myself, the executioners and black guard models are boss. Plus cold one riders are pretty cool too (seeing as they are riding lizards and all). But first time to put more work into my lizards, something i probably never would have done without AoS.

I could also see some cool campaigns using both AoS and 8th rules. AoS for smaller engagements and 8th for the large epic battles!

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:11 pm

never thought of the campaign idea....great Idea Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Or as an additional round in a tournament, we can't usually get 4 Warhammer games in but you could probably sneak an AOS game in the middle somewhere.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Or as an additional round in a tournament, we can't usually get 4 Warhammer games in but you could probably sneak an AOS game in the middle somewhere.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:10 pm

There are a ton of solid sources that have stated GW is making notched trays to hold round bases - presumably for their massed battle system.

Listen, there's NO WAY GamesWorkshop will release AoS and then just coast. There's no doubt they're testing the waters but this stuff has been in design for years and they're going to have to keep expanding or a game system gets stale.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm

for sure, if you look at bases for the new models you can see a date stamped on them......its not very recent. I really think GW has knocked one out of park. It would of been perfect if they had just point valued the units. I think this or something similar will be coming....hopefully.

Nathan gave me a great idea for our next tournament. I think ill start with an AOS game with low points...........the results of which will factor into the following 3 rounds of 8th edition.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top