Age of Sigmar Games

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Age of Sigmar Games

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Just bought the box set and initial reactions?  The rules are actually quite clear on multiwound attacks and how to distribute.  If an ogre does 3 attacks at 3 wounds, whatever he's hitting gets 9 wounds.  The player that's getting beat up on designates the wounds and once you apply a wound to a model you have to keep applying wounds until it's dead before you allocate to something else.

Looking at the models on the ride back home, I have to admit the bare plastics are even nicer in person.  The sculpting is VERY good and how to build the models has been well thought out.  I was pretty excited to get back and start gluing and I'm REALLY liking the Space Sigmarines, much more than the Chaos models so that's good news to the person sharing the box with me.

Of course I haven't played yet, but I think frank and I are going toe to toe tomorrow.  Once someone, anyone, comes up with a mostly balanced point system, this may be pretty fun.  If 8th edition became more of a Beer and Pretzel game than 7th, this may even be more Beerier and Pretzelier than that.  I think, as Nathan said, that the game may have layers of strategy - not that it's going to equal 7th in those terms, but it may run deeper than at first glance.  Heck, even going through the war scrolls for current armies, it's obvious GW put a ton of work into this.

After I read through my White Dwarfs and the fluff book that comes with the set, I'll come back and add more.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Honestly using minimum unit sizes and selecting a warscroll count is probably the best comp suggestion i've heard, easy to implement and i think balances things out? atleast significantly (i haven't looked at units like night goblins or gnoblars so maybe their minimum is also 10).

Well i watched a demo game of age of sigmar, granted it was just on a 2x2 table so any maneuvering was off the books. The combat seems solid enough using the models in the boxed set (which i think is there any semblance of balance starts with the new models. The sigmarines are pretty tough, they're all multiwound decent armor saves. Chaos has some single wound no armor save dudes, the big khorne guys are 2 wounds and hit like a truck, the abomination thing had 8 wounds and was also scary, one of the few models with a rend stat. The most interesting flavor though was in both factions hero models. Sigs grandmaster dude had inspiring presence (like all generals) and im not sure what his signature one was, not sure it ever got used. Then the sig priest had some options for magic. Both those are ok but they pale in comparison to what chaos could do. The chaos lord with the dog could use an ability that all khorne dudes (the whole army) within 12 gets 3d6 to charge and picks the highest. Then the other khorne dude can choose to remain stationary and open a khorne portal/abyss that gives all the chaos dudes withing 18 an extra attack on the charge and also immune to the bravery test! thats pretty nuts. Sig general was pretty middle of the road in cc. the Khone general tears things a new hole pretty easy. The only shooting in the game is the flying sig dudes who chuck flying hammers. Seems like the whole "break test" is where the games casualties start to ramp up.

Also to answer the question about damage values higher than 1, ie 3, each unsaved wound causes 3 damage to the UNIT. So yeah Ogres are nuts. Especially iron guts. I think a big thing we will see lots more of in AoS is more multiwound models.

Also more interesting are the new sig models that come out next weekend. If you look on the GW site and all the different ways you can arm them thats pretty interesting. looks like sword and shields, great swords, double swords (maybe sword and dagger), double hammers, hammer and shield. Apparently one in every 5 sig dudes can be armed with a great weapon, limiting how many of the rending high damage weapons you can field. I wonder if this is a trend we will see in AoS. Also some clever dudes spotted a couple other sig new models in the background of pics in a white dwarf. Looks like sig guys with bows and another hero with a halberd. The new lord celestant with the sword looks sick too. Has some nasty rules you can see for free now on GW's site...i like no army books type thing for the rules.

All in all i am optimistic where the game is going/where it will go. Where it is right now its rather mediocre, but with more solid comp rules (one i believe has to be based on a wounds or warscroll count) as well as scenarios that are more generalized and have objectives to fight over instead of simply kill eachother. I think the rest of the month is going to be Khorne and Sig models releases and maybe some of those super awesome terrain kits i've seen online.

In the mean time we can use the models we have now for free with the new rules and we should also have a local composition agreement for army selection. (also if anyone wants to try making some simple objective scenarios we can do that pretty easy by cannibalizing some of the 40k scenarios). I dont think its all gloom and doom the more i read about whats coming the more optimistic i am. And lets be honest if this hadn't come out my warhammer models would probably still be sitting in a closet.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm

One of my main concerns with AOS right now is the total lack of tactics that I see. Movement is too fast and fluid, every game Ive seen has devolved into a pile ....literally pile....of miniatures in the centre of table........and this on turn 1 or 2 at the latest. It reminds me of 10 year olds playing with toy soldiers on the carpet.

Please prove me wrong GW.

sigh.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Yeah that is one of the main things i think having objectives would seriously correct. Requiring table presence to score. Or end of each turn points are allocated per objective. Also grab the objective secured rule from 40k and give it to core units (basically all units can score but if an objective is contested by models no one scores. However if one side has the objective secured rule they trump the other side who does not and claim the objective) again encouraging the taking of core choices instead of just elites or big monsters.

Also does anyone have a problem with not overlapping bases since that is possibly the single dumbest rule in AoS.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm curious as to why bases have to overlap?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:28 pm

they dont have to overlap, but they can because it's model by model basis and range is from the model. So if you can get more guys in CC by overlapping bases have at it according to the rules (which if you're trying to win you want to do this). I think it is stupid because it could risk damaging some nicer bases, as well as looking horrid and truly like playing with a bucket of green army men (albeit nicely painted ones). The only exception to this would maybe be if you're using a base thats bigger than the one the models is supposed to go on.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 am

I feel like if the model is on a suitable sized base we should just measure from the bases.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Here is a link to a blog that I really enjoy.

There are two videos of AOS. The first game saw the two players trying to play AOS as if they were still playing 8th edition. It is basically a shit mess with both disgusted with the game. They then played a second game using the boxed set. They had a totally different take on the game.....watch and see. Watch the following summary which is really interesting and hints at army composition and things to come.

What I take from this is this......this is not warhammer. We have 8th edition for that. AOS will probably develop into a very good game, but it will be a skirmish low model count game. Something totally different.

I think the two games will co-exist until natural selection occurs.

check it out

https://guerrillaminiaturegames.wordpress.com/

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Watched that game Carson, seems like a great system. Again point values seem to be what they agree is the big issue right now. Altho I did notice they mentioned a big 298 page rule book coming out int he future so maybe that will solve some of the issues. For the time being worse comes to worse if we just trying to get a feel for it we can use the prebuilt scrolls at the end of each warscroll if need be just to get our feet wet.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Deadlytoaster wrote:they dont have to overlap, but they can because it's model by model basis and range is from the model. So if you can get more guys in CC by overlapping bases have at it according to the rules (which if you're trying to win you want to do this). I think it is stupid because it could risk damaging some nicer bases, as well as looking horrid and truly like playing with a bucket of green army men (albeit nicely painted ones). The only exception to this would maybe be if you're using a base thats bigger than the one the models is supposed to go on.

MMMMM all the games I have seen online thus far never once have a seen anyone overlapping model bases. That seems like one of those "Im going to smash your models with this hammer because it does not say I cant in the rule book" things. I am hoping our group is better than that Razz. And if GW meant for that type of thing I see no reason why they would bother with bases at all. Just give us peg boards or something. And really at the end of the day is piling in really not enough?

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Yeah, there won't be base overlapping in our group.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Welp, had my first AoS game with Frank tonight. We agreed on 1000 points using the 8th build system. He brought Ogres and I had Warriors. I had 28 models, with warriors, Forsaken, Trolls, Lord, BSB, Spawn and a Slaughterbrute. 81 wounds total. He brought Tyrant, Ironguts X2, Belchers, 2 Mournfang and a Stonehorn.

First off, holy shit are Ogres good. As in really good. Since I had 30% more models than Frank we had a sudden death rule in play and he wouldn't have needed it. Now, I did notice that some of my choices weren't very good and I forgot that Forsaken and Warriors have 2 wounds each, but I think he would have won anyways.

Now, having said that, we noticed that using the 8th list building that since your characters don't have any magic items you get more bang for your buck. Also, I can see why the game can sometimes end up in a "battle bubble" in the center. Since movement is so fluid, it's easy to swim around the table to get where you need to. No wheeling, etc.

What did I think? I really liked it - like quite a bit. It was very fun even though I was getting hammered. This is not the Warhammer game you remember and you should definitely keep that in mind when you're playing. This is a different game and not a new version of Fantasy. There was a lot more I liked than didn't like and I think I'll rebase my Warriors army for AoS. The game is very simple but there are layers of strategy where a lightbulb goes off and you can see where character synergy and combat order is very important. Make sure you print off your scrolls for quick reference and you can have a game in an hour. I can imagine a gamesday weekend even more fun as there's not as much energy required to set up and get going. I had 28 models and it actually seemed like a lot. a 2500 game would be crazy fun.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Whelp, Got my first game of Age of Sigmar with Don finished...
o
\\ ___0
//jj \\
Would be my summary. Ummm Ogres from what i can tell may be the new Warriors. As Don stated I was grossly outnumbered 2/1 and he had a few more wounds on the board than I, however the sheer force of my mighty Iron clubs were just to much for Chaos this time around. 3*damage per wound is a bit ridiculous, especially on something that throw out 3 attacks H4's W3's with Rend.

As for my thoughts on the game. I really really enjoyed it. It seemed very smooth and fluid, combat was fantastic. And best of all I don't think we argued once on any rule. There was no shuffling through a 500 page book to find a small rule for something that only comes up once in a blue moon. It seems like a simpler game for a more casual group, and I think as long as we swat down any silly powergame shinanigans this should be an enjoyable however long this goes on for Very Happy.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 am

I really want to play a game against something other than ogres. I feel like ogres are a bit of an outlying army in that they don't really fit too well into the Age Of Sigmar rule set. The same would go for horde armies, the game doesn't really seem made for them. I think I'm going to build a tree spirit army and maybe go so far as to rebase my dryads on round bases. I'm not using them in 8th anyway so I might as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 pm

So Frank and I were going to come to the Den on Saturday to play a few AoS games. We were thinking 1250 points 8th edition construction. I'm going to have a game or 2 with Carson. Anyone else interested?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:45 pm

I might be able to make it out. If not for a game, for a visit!

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Cool! Just so we're clear a 1250 test game should take about an hour. Super fast.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 pm

I'll try to make it over there for a game. It would be in the afternoon if I can make it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Id be down to try out some AoS! What time you guys thinking on saturday? Also glad to hear that despite ogres seemingly having huge advantage on paper it was still enjoyable. Time to put a few lizards on round bases me thinks...(though i'll have to order some 32mm round bases for the saurus since i dont think they'd look right on 40mm or 25mm).

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:41 am

We'll be there for 10:30 when the Den opens.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 am

Ok cool. i will try to be there around then. Ill bring 1250pts of lizards not sure if it'll all get used but alteast its there if i need it.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Mad Mad Mad

Doesn't look good for me. I think I'm stuck doing family stuff all weekend. Have fun without me guys. Crying or Very sad

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:48 pm

nathanr wrote:Mad Mad Mad

Doesn't look good for me.  I think I'm stuck doing family stuff all weekend.  Have fun without me guys. Crying or Very sad

We will!! .........although it won't be the same. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:31 pm

I am out as I fly to the maritime tonight for a week of lobster fest

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Mhael wrote:I am out as I fly to the maritime tonight for a week of lobster fest

That sounds pretty good. Have fun, we'll get some games in when you're sick of Lobster.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top