Age of Sigmar Games

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Age of Sigmar Games

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Alright, well its crazy, its different, at the moment it might even be a bit of a joke but i could see it being fun. (Again i suspect at very least in the next month they will release scenarios or atleast objective cards for this game that will add in a huge amount of strategy, depth and replayability, something many could argue the game is short on currently).

So who wants to play some games? Im free all day tomorrow (Sunday) and the evenings Wed-Fri coming up. Post a message here or PM me, cause i would like to try it out. And as far as models/ balanced forces are concerned just bring what you want and we'll work it out as we go along Smile

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Age of Sigmar Games

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Sunday could work for me. I'll text ya.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Do you have my phone #? lol

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Wait...who is this?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:58 pm

I may be available next Thursday if you're in Saskatoon.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:54 pm

squalie wrote:Wait...who is this?

lol this is Brian, haven't played fantasy in awhile

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Ha, for some reason I thought you were Aaron from Moose Jaw. Definitely won't make it tomorrow, BUT I'm thinking on coming up for the day next weekend to try a few AoS games out.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Nope this is Brian from saskatoon Smile anyways thats cool. Gimme a shout if you're down for a game one of those other nights.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:35 am

squalie wrote:Ha, for some reason I thought you were Aaron from Moose Jaw.  Definitely won't make it tomorrow, BUT I'm thinking on coming up for the day next weekend to try a few AoS games out.

Darn, I'm out of town next weekend.

Brian, and anyone else that's interested, I'm available starting at about 5:30 on Thursday for games of AoS. I'll bring an assortment of wood elves I think. I can play at the Den or anywhere else that's available.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

I am also looking to try out a few games AOS. My wife is out tomorrow night and wed night but Nathan I could play Thursday or Saturday morning. I think a small count game maybe 20 or 30 models to get a gauge of the rules without being stuck in one game for too long.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Well thursday might be out to lunch for me since i have a 40k game lined up that night, but ill bring a few lizards incase the 40k game ends early. And yeah 20-30 models seems decent for starts. Also i havent looked at all of the battle formations (the things found at the bottom of the warscroll pdfs), but they seem like decent starting points for army comp. (as well as providing some nifty bonuses)

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:34 am

Alright, Andre we can play a few games and then if Brian is free he can join in. Are we playing at the Den or at someone's house?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:06 pm

How late is the den opened? I am back working so can't make it until 7. We can play at my house also

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:33 pm

open until 9. Your house is fine for me too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Andre and I are playing some games of Age of Sigmar tonight at 7 at my place. If anyone wants to come by feel free. If you don't know my address just PM me and I'll let you know.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Well, Andre and I played our first game of Age of Sigmar.  First impression, I am not a fan.  Things die quickly, the rules need some clarifications and balance is an issue.

Hopefully with some clarifications the things won't die quite as quickly, and hopefully they actually come out with those clarifications.  After the game we discussed the balance issues and this is what we came up with:

Each unit has a minimum unit size on it's war scroll.  Ogre units are generally 3, elite infantry is 5 and core infantry is 10.  A "unit" for balance purposes would be up to one less than double the minimum unit size.  That doesn't mean the unit can't be bigger than that, but if it is it would count as two units.  Then you just specify maximum number of units and cap the monsters and heroes at an agreed upon number each and it should be fairly even.

I'll play it again but i think we just have the beta version of the game at this point.  There needs to be more to it if it's going to keep me interested.  I much prefer 8th edition so far.

Edit:
Here is my biggest issue with the rules. Every model has a "damage" rating which multiplies the wounds the model causes after saves have been made. Sort of like in warhammer when a weapon does D3 or D6 wounds. The issue is, the rules are unclear whether or not those wounds are only applied to a single model (like in Warhammer) or if they carry over and just get applied to the unit in general. In the case of Andre and my game, it would have meant the difference between killing 9 guys or 3 as his damage rating was 3 and he made 3 unsaved wounds.

Last edited by nathanr on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more whining)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

The main strategy in the game seems to be in picking the order of units fighting in combat. It's a back and forth where you pick a unit in combat anywhere on the table and roll their attacks, then your opponent picks a unit in combat anywhere on the table and so on until all units have attacked. I chose poorly in my game with Andre and lost Orion and my Stag-riding Lord before they even got a chance to swing. I think with some more careful planning it can be a real game-changer.

Other than that, or maybe despite that, it mostly just seems like a monster-mash filler game that you could play between games of real Warhammer. Maybe it will grow on me as they add more scenarios and I see some of the new models other than these lightning space marines and chaos warriors on steroids.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 am

*edited - more whining*. Lol, love it.

Was it that bad? Could you chalk some of it up to the fact we're just used to a different way? If there was an honest, balanced point system, would that help a metric ton?

I'd like to like age of Sigmar, but could totally stick with 8th.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

I don't want to add more doom and gloom but Ive watched alot of AOS games on the net by players really trying to give it a go to hopefully like it. They have universally come away disgusted and feel insulted by GW for pushing it onto the community.

NOW, I havn't tried it yet myself but just watching the game left me non-plussed.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:18 pm

One of the things I love most is building lists and the game has changed that to a reaction style deployment. I did like that every new turn you roll off to see who starts giving the possibility of a back to back turn. It does take away redirection strategy as everything can move and if inside 12 inch can charge. Some units being able to make a run and still charge. The fact that there is no point allotment makes it weird for choosing units without being a dick but still wanting to win

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:28 pm

You liked it Andre?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Remember when Aiden was just kind of learning how to warhammer and you would play by his rules. It seems like gw relinquished the game to their kids. There is no strategy to the game really. It would be OK as a novelty. Ever wanted to field an army of just gnoblars. Now you can and it might even do alright. All giants against all giants...let's rumble. Nothing but characters...why not.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Mhael wrote:Remember when Aiden was just kind of learning how to warhammer and you would play by his rules. It seems like gw relinquished the game to their kids. There is no strategy to the game really. It would be OK as a novelty. Ever wanted to field an army of just gnoblars. Now you can and it might even do alright. All giants against all giants...let's rumble. Nothing but characters...why not.

So...no.  Got it.

Ok, haven't even played a game yet, picking up my box set tomorrow, but I gotta tell ya - I'm a little reluctant.  I'm going to spend $150 on something few have faith in.  

Remember when 8th came out?  People were actually excited and talked a lot about how much the rules cleaned up things, and aside from a few grouchy pants golfers that still cling to 7th edition ( Wink ) most consider 8th edition a much more fun game. How many are shouting from the rooftops about AoS?  Very few.  I WILL play a legit few games as I've certainly eaten my words before (I still owe Nathan a million dollars over a display board) and since this is the way the world is going, I really want to like the new game.....but I don't know man, I just don't know.

I actually want to start a Beastmen army and have them go back to skirmishers - which would be cool.  If the game won't hold my attention, because I'm (we're) not 12, then I'm very hesitant.

Here's another thing; If there was no Age of Sigmar, would we still be playing 8th?  And would we be complaining about it?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm pretty stupefied by the whole AOS "game" right now. The lack of real rules, game play that I've seen, visuals etc. Still hoping that GW has a plan to develop the game and make it great.

But, all said and done, the world and us still have 8th edition. I'm assuming were all going to keep playing 8th in the league........no one has really said anything along these lines. I'm still going to try a few games of AOS but for right now I'm still playing 8th. Anyone out there agree?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:45 pm

I think AOS may work well in a campaign type tourney. Games are fast and as you essentially put whatever on the table you could play a rich storyline in a compressed timeframe

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top