Summer 2015 league reporting

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Summer 2015 league reporting

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Thought I'd post this up to get the ball rolling.

I've had three league games so far.......

vs Don, crushing win (GarageCon), I was fully painted
vs Don, win June 27, I was fully painted
vs Frank, crushing win June 27, I was fully painted

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Summer 2015 league reporting

Post  nathanr on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks Carson, I'll set up the ladder this week.

I had 4 games at garagecon.

Crushing defeat vs Andre
Crushing Defeat vs Don
Crushing defeat vs Dom
Defeat vs Justin

I was fully painted for all of them.

I also had a crushing victory against Andre a while back.

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 pm

I had two game yesterday, was a good time throwing my vampires against some Ogres.
Win against Frank's Ogres
Crushing loss against Andre's Ogres

I wasn't fully painted as I have some new knights that need a coat.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:45 am

I can't remember all my garagecon games but so far all my ogre games have been massacres. Nathan massacred me as did frank and Dom but I massacred Don and Dwayne.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

I'll edit this when I find where I wrote down the garage con games.

June 27 I lost to Carson and his vamps by 25 points. I have the sadness, BUT his lvl 4 vamp lord got possessed by a slaanesh herald and was removed from the table before he could even bare his fangs. It was sweeeeeet!

This seemed to have pissed off Andre as his ogres beat the tar off of my Daemons. The last model on the table for me was a roaring bloodthirster that was surrounded, and in base to base with, ironguts, a giant, 2 gorgers. He was kicking ass and taking names when the giant shut him up for good with a head butt! It was actually pretty cool.

I truly feel sorry for the people that don't show. Had a ton of fun AND went to sabarosa and gorged afterwards. I'd do that every week.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 pm

Found my garagecon sheet.

Draw vs. Andre (did that become a loss for me? Andre can confirm)
Win vs Nathan
Crushing loss vs Carson.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 am

Dwayne and I had a game of Age of Sigmar last night. He with his Vampire Counts and me with my Tree Spirits (Sylvaneth or whatever they're called now). It was Dwayne's first game of AoS and my third. I'm starting to get an appreciation for the game, there are some subtleties hidden in the gameplay that one starts to pick up on as you play more games. Dwayne seemed to have the rules down pat despite never playing before. Blood knights are a nasty unit, especially with a banner that lets him resurrect a model each turn. I had to use both treemen to take them down, but not before they absolutely wrecked my dryads. Zombies are great in a horde of 40 although once you start killing them they break down pretty quickly. In the end I finished with a victory.

One thing I have found in AoS, once you start losing it is very hard to turn things around. Things have a way of snowballing and there isn't much you can do but smile and roll dice until you have no more dice to roll. I have played 3 games now and none of them have ended very closely.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:06 am

Using 8th points?

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:58 am

Nope, we tried out the new point system that Don and you had posted. It meant I had to drop a branchwraith and the hounds to get under 1250.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Did it seem balanced?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:21 pm

I think so, it could have gone either way at the start but once I started pulling down units Dwayne didn't have much to stop me. The branchwraith seemed a little over-costed but I wasn't using her summoning spell at all which is likely why her cost is so high.

Dwayne's vampire lord didn't wreck as much face as I thought he would, he charged him straight into my treekin, did one wound and got pounded into the dust. The mortis engine was pretty scary but my treeman ancient sorted it out once the treekin came in to help.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Characters are much softer in AoS. More of a supplement Role I've found.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Was Dwayne using any summoning ?

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:57 pm

nope, and I was pretty glad that he wasn't. I don't think I could have handled much more.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:39 pm

I really enjoyed the game I played with Nathan. It feels like this is a game of supporting models. Treemen are scary unless you have something to peel off wounds. Blood knights are awesome! Vampire lord was disappointing but I think that was my fault for where I threw him into. I'm not sure how I feel about the roll off each turn to see who goes first. Back-to-back turns turns can be rough to weather.

I didn't bother with summoning. Used the game as a learning exercise and didn't want to complicate matters more by adding extra models into the mix.

Looking forward to playing out some more games after my holidays. I really do like the points costs from Project Points Costs over the direct 8th edition point costs. PPC over values summoning and changes it so that is hard to justify using summoning with the rule set.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:15 am

I actually like the fact characters can't handle units by themselves. My Chaos Lord is actually a wimp. Their job seems to be more for synergy.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Lol Chaos Lords were already wimps they gave into chaos! Razz

Also they just call up a bunch of warriors to show up from a table edge so yeah, definitely more a support role. (heck even look at the khorne dudes in the AoS starter they give HUGE buffs to the whole army.)

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:43 am

Had a game yesterday with Brian (sorry to all that I was late) 1500 point new comp AoS. Enjoyed it (as I won), also enjoyed Brians company - he'll be a great addition to the Fantasy crew.

Tomb Kings are pretty strong in AoS (Finally!) and I'm surprised about how much I don't have on the table. Brians Lizardman army was, admittedly, a little depleted as he focused on having multiple units of Saurus, and probably could have used some big beasties and more shooting. Lizzies seem like a very synergistic army and I'm sure once the kinks (skinks?) are worked out they'll be a handful.

I'd also like to make a motion to move to 1750 for games, AND really liked measuring from base to base (no muss, no fuss).

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Nathan and myself threw down at the den yesterday in my second aos game. I started out strong with my flesh eaters vampire list but eventually got ground down by his shooting and magic......dark elves.

So, thoughts. It was fun, but still pales in comparison to warhammer. There is really not much there to tactics , or else I haven't found them yet. The armies seemed fair with the system we used. I'm looking at aos as a young persons game.....Aiden loves it as all the things he needs to know are minimal and the war scrolls tell him at a glance everything else....even I like that, but if your looking for a thinking mans game...this isn't it.

I do like it though but if given the choice I would much prefer to play warhammer over aos. I hope to see both systems work within the hobby.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Andre and i had a game of AOS a while ago. being my first game and i had not read any rules or anything, just watched the one game Nathan and Andre played. my feeling towards it was strongly much like what Carson said, its not a thinking mans game. the turn sequence is HUGE and frankly i thought it was dumb and steals evermore from the already lack of tactics. It felt even more like pushing models together and rolling dice then ever before. It reminds me to two young kids playing army men ...pew pew your dead !! ..but i don't want to be dead!...that's to bad you are cause i said so !!.....Rolling Eyes

anyway, I won. we played 10 warscroll choices each, my list was pretty much my standard 2500 pts lizardmen list just with fewer figs, they pretty much ran though all Andres dwarfs. slanns are devastating, i could have done some serious mean summoning with them being able to bring anything from there list on for dirt cheap, although the range is stupid and really wants you to obliterate your opponent with the sudden appearance of massive dinos mere inches away

long story short the game seems to easy to be a challenge, and though there are some cool things about AOS namely the different "ability's " of things, the mechanics seem lazy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:39 am

Kuyp wrote:Andre and i had a game of AOS a while ago. being my first game and i had not read any rules or anything, just watched the one game Nathan and Andre played. my feeling towards it was strongly much like what Carson said, its not a thinking mans game. the turn sequence is HUGE and frankly i thought it was dumb and steals evermore from the already lack of tactics. It felt even more like pushing models together and rolling dice then ever before. It reminds me to two young kids playing army men ...pew pew your dead !! ..but i don't want to be dead!...that's to bad you are cause i said so !!.....Rolling Eyes

anyway, I won. we played 10 warscroll choices each, my list was pretty much my standard 2500 pts lizardmen list just with fewer figs, they pretty much ran though all Andres dwarfs. slanns are devastating, i could have done some serious mean summoning with them being able to bring anything from there list on for dirt cheap, although the range is stupid and really wants you to obliterate your opponent with the sudden appearance of massive dinos mere inches away    

long story short the game seems to easy to be  a challenge, and though there are some cool things about AOS namely the different "ability's " of things, the mechanics seem lazy    

I'm guessing you're not a fan? Very Happy You've been absent lately and I figured that may be the cause. I'll readily admit that the army building part of the game sucks very badly, which is why the known Warhammer world is scrambling to find a point system that is as balanced as 8th. Which, we should admit, wasn't very balanced to begin with.

There is actually a lot of strategy in AoS and it reveals itself after playing a few games. You start to notice things you'd change next game and be mindful of the different way the game plays in regards to character synergy. There is only so much you can see in 4 pages of rules, but it's surprising how crafty you need to be with unit selection, buffs, hexes, etc.

I like that the game flows better, but summoning is so amazingly broken, there's an obvious reason it costs so much in the comp system we're using.

Which brings me to my point: Out of the box, played by the rules, AoS is doomed to cause more fights than it was designed to alleviate. Now, since the world happens to have some "big boys" playing games, most have decided to find a point system that works (no small task), restrict summoning and measure from base to base. I've played about 10? games so far and really like a lot of AoS, but it does have some fatal flaws if played as presented.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:55 am

Carson and my game was probably the most enjoyable AoS game I've played to date. We used that comp and point system that Don and Frank have posted. It was the first game that I've played or seen where the momentum shifted in the game. Usually, from my limited experience, when someone starts winning they continue to win and it becomes a landslide. Especially with armies with high movement (like my dark elves), there is some strategy to be found in the game other than push everything forward and hope for the best. To me the biggest strategy is found in the close combat phase and setting up your combats. If I can somehow make it seem like it is in my opponents best interest to pick a unit to fight that isn't necessarily the best choice, it can really have a cascading effect where I will get the upper hand in all the combats on the table.

That being said, I still don't like this game more than 8th edition. I think that the two have their place and if Age of Sigmar brings in more good guys like Brian and bring guys like Frank out more often then we definitely need to keep playing it and continue to try to find a point system that works for everyone but I do feel like 8th edition should keep it's place as the primary game for our group.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm of the same mind as Nathan. Right now I'd like to keep 8th as the primary game but would also play aos anytime. That being said its very interesting to see what is being released on the GW site lately. Looks like a campaign between Skaven, chaos, and stormcasts.

An interesting read on a blog I follow might be something of interest. It basically come from a tournament organizers stand point from the US where they have a huge GT tournament scene followed by a NATIONAL championship.....how awesome is that.

From the read it appears that the organizers from each "division" within the US are struggling to decide on what to do. Its been suggested that the GT's may switch to the mantic rules which are pretty-much warhammer 7th edition with a few tweaks......Mantic has been more than happy to produce army pdfs for the existing warhammer armies to fit into their system.

The Mantic (king of war 2nd edition) are actually really well done and it is a "live" game with support....unlike our beloved warhammer.

Interesting anyway, and everyone should take the time to check it out.

http://thebeerwaaagh.blogspot.ca/

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:30 am

I used my Administration powers and split off the 40K discussion into a new topic. It can be found here:

http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com/t1827-switching-to-40k#20605

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 pm

squalie wrote: I'm guessing you're not a fan? Very Happy   You've been absent lately and I figured that may be the cause.  I'll readily admit that the army building part of the game sucks very badly, which is why the known Warhammer world is scrambling to find a point system that is as balanced as 8th.  Which, we should admit, wasn't very balanced to begin with.

There is actually a lot of strategy in AoS and it reveals itself after playing a few games.  You start to notice things you'd change next game and be mindful of the different way the game plays in regards to character synergy.  There is only so much you can see in 4 pages of rules, but it's surprising how crafty you need to be with unit selection, buffs, hexes, etc.

I like that the game flows better, but summoning is so amazingly broken, there's an obvious reason it costs so much in the comp system we're using.  

Which brings me to my point:  Out of the box, played by the rules, AoS is doomed to cause more fights than it was designed to alleviate.  Now, since the world happens to have some "big boys" playing games, most have decided to find a point system that works  (no small task), restrict summoning and measure from base to base.  I've played about 10? games so far and really like a lot of AoS, but it does have some fatal flaws if played as presented.

You know i had the day off work and decided i would finally look in to a few thing about this game, and in the like 10 minutes i spent before giving up I found nothing i liked anymore.

the new figs on GW look absolutly absurd, this is fantasy based game i thought , why do all they new dudes look like they are about to get off a space ship and kill some aliens ??? Fuck-ing-ridiculous

People online everywhere have to find a compromise and decide how they would like to play before they play? whats wrong with giving your game some support so people actually WANT to play and then be a big enough sucker to pay the (in my mind) largely inflated price for the figs coming out

I for one will not be jumping on board with this one, its not what brought me in to the game in the first place and it looks to me like they are taking it to a dumb sci-fi /fantasy cross over that i don't find interesting at all.

But hey i will be over here sitting in my corner thinking about what game i would like to play and working to make that something to enjoy, anyone interested in in a more classic fantasy setting world with the classic races but none of the classic stereotypes of "good or evil" just "factions" instead , you are more then welcome to join in on my quest. Or if you just want to play a good old fashion game of WARHAMMER FANTASY

pot stiired...

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top