Going to be so epic :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Going to be so epic :)

Post  N-V-C-G on Thu May 21, 2015 9:19 am

https://www.facebook.com/dftavern and their countdown website. http://www.dungeonsandflagons.ca/
Nerds of Saskatoon unite!

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Going to be so epic :)

Post  nathanr on Thu May 21, 2015 9:45 am

Nice. Hopefully they'll have a table for Warhammering!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm not sure how much truth is behind this, but one of my friends warned me to not throw any money into any type of kick starter campaign. She said the owners are have a bad reputation in some way, can't remember how, and to definitely not give them any money. Anyways just thought I'd let this be known, maybe someone knows more information? If so please share, good or bad.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 21, 2015 10:04 pm

So, what am I missing here?  They want me to give them money because they have some video game pictures of how they want the pub to look?  Is that it?

Sincerely not sure what I'm looking at. I've also seen my share of board game events - they're going to have to make the chairs MUCH bigger. BWAHAAAAAA!!!

..........don't worry, I'm showing myself out.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu May 21, 2015 10:34 pm

Who are the owners? I don't see anything but a mug. Are they looking to use kickstarter to fund an IRL pub?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 22, 2015 10:47 am

I think that's the idea. After giving it some thought, I don't have high hopes for this actually. While it is a neato idea to have a gaming pub in the city, I think it is one of those things that would fail horribly in real life. Unless you hid it away in a back alley like Divas you're going to get people in there that have no interest in gaming and when you add alcohol and stupid to the mix you get trouble. Once you've had trouble, the uber gaming nerds (the target clientele) that took a huge step out of their comfort zones to venture into a bar downtown don't feel safe there and won't come back. Without that hardcore base of customers the pub is going to have to find a new base of customers or go under. If they choose to stay in business, they'll change their image to attract the easiest group of repeat customers there is to attract downtown, alcoholics. It is very unlikely that those alcoholics will get into gaming, (it gets in the way of their drinking) and the pub will become just another of the many many sad drinking establishments we have in this fine city. What needs to happen instead is that the back room at the Den needs to get licensed (and renovated).

Who knows, it could work but I highly doubt it will.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  N-V-C-G on Fri May 22, 2015 11:51 am

They already have the location and are building it. The counter is for their opening date. It'll be a hard sell, but hopefully it makes it past the infant stages.

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri May 22, 2015 12:01 pm

The woods downtown already has beer and board game night ( my wife and i have been going for a few months). The big problem is board gamers dont drink. There has been avg 25 people most who drink free water.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 pm

nathanr wrote:I think that's the idea.  After giving it some thought, I don't have high hopes for this actually.  While it is a neato idea to have a gaming pub in the city, I think it is one of those things that would fail horribly in real life.  Unless you hid it away in a back alley like Divas you're going to get people in there that have no interest in gaming and when you add alcohol and stupid to the mix you get trouble.  Once you've had trouble, the uber gaming nerds (the target clientele) that took a huge step out of their comfort zones to venture into a bar downtown don't feel safe there and won't come back.  Without that hardcore base of customers the pub is going to have to find a new base of customers or go under.  If they choose to stay in business, they'll change their image to attract the easiest group of repeat customers there is to attract downtown, alcoholics.  It is very unlikely that those alcoholics will get into gaming, (it gets in the way of their drinking) and the pub will become just another of the many many sad drinking establishments we have in this fine city.  What needs to happen instead is that the back room at the Den needs to get licensed (and renovated).

Who knows, it could work but I highly doubt it will.

I think you MAY be out of touch with what the downtown crowd is Nathan. It's professionals during working hours (lunch) and college crowd in the evening with crossover from all demographics hitting downtown for the food and drinks served at the many fine restaurants and pubs. The alcoholics you refer to can't usually afford to drink downtown and you'll only really find them in places with VLT's. Of which there are not many downtown.

I also don't know where you've been that people just walk in off the street and start drinking and throwing haymakers at nerds. I'm reading a lot of psychological projection in your post Nathan!!!! Who hurt you so bad?!?! WHO HURT YOU!!!!!

I have other reservations about the place. They're the reservations I have for ANY place opening downtown though. You have to be really, really, really good at what you do to make it downtown now. The choices are crazy, and most of the cities best menu's are downtown right now.

The gaming angle is enough of a divergence that it'll get people in the door once for sure. It just needs to hit a home run in so many areas to keep them coming. The board game crowd as I've seen is exactly what Andre describes, a pretty moderate crowd for sure. So if by definition you have a customer base who are their to enjoy your tavern for hours and may possibly eat one meal and tops two drinks it's going to be a challenge.

I would like to know who's behind it. I hope they have a ton of experience behind them with a very solid game plan built by someone who's battle tested.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 22, 2015 9:27 pm

I'll admit I don't frequent the downtown pubs but whenever I'm downtown I get harassed by panhandlers. I went to the avengers 2 the other day and before my foot hit the sidewalk I was asked for change by two separate people. Maybe those people don't drink downtown like you say but they should be taken into consideration for the overall atmosphere. Especially if any LARP is going to be based around the pub there may be safety issues there.

I agree that there are a lot of high-class places downtown but there are still some dives too. Especially during the day the crowd at Winston's is a pretty sad looking bunch. I doubt that anyone is going to be throwing haymakers but a rowdy group of college kids drinking ironically at a pub named after dungeons and dragons is going to ruin the atmosphere for the people there to play games and as Andre pointed out, the gamers are actually the less-desireable customers because they aren't drinking. It just seems liked a doomed venture.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat May 23, 2015 8:01 am

I don't think you're going to see that Nathan. It sounds like you expect Ted McGinley and Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds to walk in and start fratting the place about.

Man. I couldn't be more proud of myself for that reference there. I AM the MAN.

And the Lighthouse crowd (the fine folks that live across the street from the theater) are pretty nutty. You won't find them further down the street as much and not usually in paying places.

I'm concerned but not for your reasons Nathan. As far as college kids drinking ironically ina gaming bar I am more concerned with the gamers NOT drinking.

Once open I think we'll have to pop down and check it out Amigo. You never know, it could be the greatest thing ever. And if they need to buy some meat, well... we can always work on that too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top