AoW Goblin King

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AoW Goblin King

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 pm

I want to put more effort into my O&G army. Not really a re-start but certainly taking my time and adding units I've always wanted to and doing a better job on some of the boyz. They're starting to show there age. Anyway this model just screams out to serve as either Grom the Paunch or Goblin Lord (Using an orc profile for his bigness 25mm base.) I love this fig and can't wait to get him choppin' faggy elves. He'll have to serve on foot for a while until his chariot get's built up around him. Since he's not a GW model he won't be travelling to tournies anyway, but that's what dwarfs are for!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AoW Goblin King

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:45 am

That is a really cool model, the paint scheme is a bit dark though Laughing . I like most of the Avatars of War minis, how's their customer service? Did you get your order quickly?

What is the rule concerning non-GW models in tournaments? Would my scratch-built treeman be allowed?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:46 am

AoW was fine to deal with. Paid my money, got my stuff. Nothing special either way but the fiq quality is great.

Tourny fig rules: Scratchbuilt is fine, competitor models are NOT allowed. Period. That is if it's an offically sanctioned GW tourny. I am all in favor of that rule 'cause if GW shells out to support your tourny then the least you can do is use their stuff. My opinion anyway.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:24 pm

So I did some of the flesh today. I'm using orkhide shade and building uphighlights by mixing in space wolves gray. Sounds crazy but it was advice given to me by a pretty good painter. We'll see...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 pm

ScottRadom wrote:So I did some of the flesh today. I'm using orkhide shade and building uphighlights by mixing in space wolves gray. Sounds crazy but it was advice given to me by a pretty good painter. We'll see...

Try some yellow in the skin tone as well. It will make the model more realistic Wink

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:14 pm

My intitial approach was going to just keep lightening the base color with bleached bone. The sapce wolves grey came from a really good painter, he's got several Golden Demons from the UK, France and SPain so I thought I would give it a shot. Not sold on it yet but LOTS more to put on.

Yellow? No way. Then you simply get a color that goes from Orkhide shade eventually up to a striking scorpion green. Try it out amigo!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Well this is hwat the flesh looks like after about 8 layers getting lighter all the time. I finished with a little real thin bleached bone on the lips, chin, bicep, scars and a few streaks through the belly. The dude reccomended a purple wash but I DO NOT have the courage to try that yet. I'll do up a plastic goblin and give 'er a whirl but not just yet....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Allright, so I think he's done from the waist down. I'll do the crown and the shoulder armor next. I might be able to finish this guy by the end of the week! Maybe...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finished!

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 pm

Alright, my New Grom model. Will have to serve as an Orc Warboss on foot 'till I get the chariot done.

It was a lot of fun to paint. I'm glad I'm done, now to finish the November Dwarfs!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:23 pm

Looks really good, so whats your take on the skin with the new technique you used.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 pm

The color, meh. I could take or leave it. Might use it on some trolls one day. I didn't mind the look after it was done, and I thin kit's a little nicer when seen without crappy photo's. I will try using another color, like either bone or a light flesh next time i try something like this.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:31 am

Holy smokes! I was hoping to accomplish a 7/10 from the CMoN people but when I checked this morning it was at 5.6! Ack! I thought it was pretty decent but the peeps in internet land seemed to disagree. Scumbags! We'll see what the comments are.

Check it out if you like! I DID have a good time painting it and I'm still happy with it, even if the net guys aint.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/205804

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:00 pm

I think it is a great paintjob as always. I'm not sure about the color of the skin though. It is a bit too blue for my tastes. I'm not trying to be racist or anything but I think the skintone needs to be a bit greener for that guy to be able to call himself a goblin.

Oh and by the way, you are up to 6.7 on CMON last time I checked.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:10 pm

nathanr wrote:I think it is a great paintjob as always. I'm not sure about the color of the skin though. It is a bit too blue for my tastes. I'm not trying to be racist or anything but I think the skintone needs to be a bit greener for that guy to be able to call himself a goblin.

odt

What a biggot. Yes the skin tone is iffy, I get what you mean. He is going to represent Grom the Paunch who has the trollblood thingy after eating raw troll so I think it might work in that respect, but I won't use that color recipe all that often I bet.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I think the internet people are a bit harsh, its great. The only thing I can see is the gums need a color and I think you missed some nails/claws.

I'm going to bite the bullet and post my completed unit of Darkriders to CMON tonight.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Carson wrote:I think the internet people are a bit harsh, its great. The only thing I can see is the gums need a color and I think you missed some nails/claws.

I'm going to bite the bullet and post my completed unit of Darkriders to CMON tonight.

The gums were done in 5 seperate layers of Germ SS Black-Brown ands adding ivory to the mix. Took me about 45 min total. Then I glazed it with a purple wash.

The naila are charadon granite and two seperate layers of highlights on each, followed by a glaze of devlan mud. Took about 15 min.

And the score is climbing!

put the link to your fig up when it gets approved!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Sorry, Thats what the camera does to figs!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:03 pm

No, I'm not being defensive or anything, it's just one of those things that used to agravate me.

I'm happy with the fig and I'm happy knowing I put the extra effort into those little details, but in terms of showing them to the public and saying "Please love this fig", which is essentially what I've been doing, I just love the fact that I could've drybrushed those thingies, or just not done them at all, and get more or less the same response.

When I first started posting on CMoN I was all excited about the scores. I still am I suppose, but my expectations are much more grounded. I was swinging for the fences on this one and trying to get a 7. That's saying something right there. Before I posted and did much surfing of the sight I just kind of thought I'd be scooping up 8-9's. Egotistical sure, but my stuff has done okay, and I've usually gotten good marks for painting at tournies and stuff. Then, BLAMMO! Outside this goblin fig the very best fig I think I've done is a Dwarf BsB which is rated at 5.6 I think. Just slightly above tabletop standard (which I personally think is low, but it's my fig so of course I think that).

So I wish my stuff got higher scores for sure, but I am not willing to blame my photography yet. Some of the CC I've gotten, all correct are....
-incorect placement of highlights on the axe.
-chalkiness and too much contrast on the flesh
-not enough contrast on the metals.
-didn't paint the gums or fingernails (From an ASSHOLE!)
-wolf cloak looks weak in comparison (It does, I just thought I hid it better in the pics!)

It's all valid and good stuff, plus they're always willing to show me a better or different technique. The skin recipe is from a dude who suggested it to me and I do like it, just not for RnF models probably. it would make for a unique orc army though. One guy in response to my post on metals ACTUALLY took my pic, and photshopped in the highlights and shading areas he suggested to work on. Wow. Good site that CMoN.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
nathanr wrote:I think it is a great paintjob as always. I'm not sure about the color of the skin though. It is a bit too blue for my tastes. I'm not trying to be racist or anything but I think the skintone needs to be a bit greener for that guy to be able to call himself a goblin.

odt

What a biggot. Yes the skin tone is iffy, I get what you mean. He is going to represent Grom the Paunch who has the trollblood thingy after eating raw troll so I think it might work in that respect, but I won't use that color recipe all that often I bet.

Ah, I see. That would probably make sense then. The shading in the skin is great and I can see that there was a lot of effort put in. I think the technique would work for the rest of an army but you'd have to add some yellow or something if you wanted a more traditional green. That might ruin the whole effect though.

Stupid question but what does "odt" stand for?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Nathan: I'm still back and forth on the skin thingy. I actually think it might look GOOD on the spider riders and maybe some vanilla goblins, but not sold on it.

I have NO idea what odt stands for. Did it come for me? If it did it's probably a typo.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Yah, you typed it just before you called me a biggot!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 pm

As a wise man once said "I'm not a biggot, I hate all people equally".

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Carson wrote:As a wise man once said "I'm not a biggot, I hate all people equally".

Was that me? Or maybe Ric?

Anyway check out this coolness... I got a coment and a rating of 8 from a dude named Gaelion on my fig. Gaelion is actually Mr. Felix Pangua himself! How cool is that, to get a comliment from the dude that made the fig?

Pretty neat-o!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top