Flames of War Terrain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War Terrain

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:44 pm

So Don was talking about putting in an order on some terrain for Flames of War and I thought I'd start a thread on terrain and how I made some of the stuff that I've got.

First off here's a picture of a table full of my terrain, you've seen it all before:

In it you can see examples of fields, hills, forests, hedgerows, roads and a stream.

Hills: Foam insulation cut with a hot wire, painted and flocked.

Fields: A "welcome" mat with the welcome part removed and cut into various shapes.

Forest: two tree-like twigs with moss hot glued to the branches and then hotglued onto a round cardboard base. I had an extra plastic citadel forest base from when I made my latest treeman so I used that for the forest floor but you could just as easily use a piece of thin hardboard.

Hedgerows: Base is made from a 1"x1"x6" strip of stryrofoam insulation cut into a triangle shape, painted and then has moss hotglued to it.

Roads: I've got both raised road sections and ground-level road sections. The road surface is coarse-grit sandpaper painted and flocked to look like gravel. The built up sections use styrofoam insulation as a base and the lower sections use a metal plate (I had some extra bretonnian movement trays laying around). The trick is to use a rigid enough base that the road section doesn't curl when you glue the sandpaper to it. I've seen other base materials used but I liked the metal because it is so thin, it sits pretty much flush to the table surface.

Stream: this is a bought kit although I added banks and foliage to it using styrofoam and moss.

The moss I used I got at Michaels, you get a giant bag and it comes in a variety of colors. I can't speak for it's durability as I have only been using it a few months now but so far it is holding together pretty nicely.

If anyone else has some good terrain tips or wants a more detailed explanation feel free to post here.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Terrain

Post  |marauder| on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am

nathanr wrote:
In it you can see examples of fields, hills, forests, hedgerows, roads and a stream.
If anyone else has some good terrain tips or wants a more detailed explanation feel free to post here.
The terrain looks really good.
However, I would suggest looking at aerial photos before undertaking the next "map"

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top