Understanding tank markings.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Understanding tank markings.

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:29 pm

So, getting ready to decal my 11th armoured division and the tank markings confound me a little. Here's the link that shows British tank markings. (I'll wait til you all take a look)

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=590

K, so what I get from this is that if I wanted 11th armoured I would have black bulls - easy. If I have 3 platoons of cromwells, do I make one red, one blue, one yellow? OR, do I make the 3 platoons all red (for example) with one platoons squares, one triangles and one circles? Make sense?

The picture they have of the Cromwell on the link I provided is from the 7th armoured division (desert rats) has the red 51, but a blue triangle.

Explain. Explain now.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Understanding tank markings.

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Ok, I'll try to explain this:

The 11th armoured division (the black bull) is the Division as a whole.  Inside the division there are all kinds of Brigades and regiments.  That's where the Red 51 comes in.  The white 51 in a red square would reference one of the armoured battalions within the armoured brigade.  Within that battalion you'd have a regimental HQ (diamond), and up to 3 squadrons (triangle, square, circle).  Since we play at the squadron/company level you'd use the same colour and shape for all your tanks. What shape and colour depends on the division. It looks like each division did things a little differently at this level.  I'll do some googleing and see if I can find out what color goes with the 51 for the 11th Armoured.

Here's the thing though, historically, I think all your tanks would have the same shape and colour but in game terms I think you could use different shapes and colours as a good way to differentiate the different platoons.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 pm

I think I understood correctly. Since you've been yelled at for every other suggestion you've made about FoW, I think I'll wait to hear from others whether it's a good idea to put different colours on different platoons. Razz

Although i do like that idea.

So, I'd have red 51's (for example) on every tank. Diamonds on the 2 HQ tanks and then whatever colour triangles on every other tank in every other platoon? I hope you're right about using different colours on different platoons.

Oh by the way, go watch the new Star Wars trailer - it's completely tits.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:53 pm

I saw that! Chewie hasn't aged a day!

Personally I'd go with the same colour and different shapes for each platoon unless you have more than 3 tank platoons. That's what I'm doing with my tanks. With the airborne recce squadron I use a white 41 on green and blue square and then all the shapes are white because it is technically a support battalion. I've got a diamond on my CHQ tanks, circles and squares on my Cromwells and triangles on my tetrarchs. Alternately, if you wanted to be really historical you could pick a shape and then put a number inside that shape to designate the different tank platoons. Seems like that was the official way to do things but it wasn't always done in practice.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Personally I think diffrerentiating platoons with a marking your opponent and sometimes you aren't going to super easily see is a touch pointless. When I get around to repainting and marking my platoons I'll try something I'll at least be easy to see. Maybe one platoon has camo. Maybe the other has wooden storage crates as stowage etc.

But whatever works. I personally won't notice if your markings are made up or accurate.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Just play Germans, their simple 3 number system makes it super easy........see, easy and a great suggestion too!

pointless post #396

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Carson, you may need to check your math. You have way more than 396 posts.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Yeah but I'm hoping they weren't all like the above........or am I Sean

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:36 am

squalie wrote:So, getting ready to decal my 11th armoured division and the tank markings confound me a little. Here's the link that shows British tank markings.  (I'll wait til you all take a look)

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=590

K, so what I get from this is that if I wanted 11th armoured I would have black bulls - easy. If I have 3 platoons of cromwells, do I make one red, one blue, one yellow? OR, do I make the 3 platoons all red (for example) with one platoons squares, one triangles and one circles?  Make sense?

Yes, makes sense
- technically they should all be the same marking as it a company you are playing ie all blue triangles.
- now that being said as a gamer I would do all one colour but do each platoon different - 1 triangle (A), 1 square (B), & 1 circle (C) to easily tell them apart
squalie wrote:
 The picture they have of the Cromwell on the link I provided is from the 7th armoured division (desert rats) has the red 51, but a blue triangle.

Explain. Explain now.

Yes, thought I sent you page numbers out of Overlord to assist with this quiry...ah, this is an older post-sorry!

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Ok, having trouble getting these decals to stick sometimes. I'll put the decals on (Allied star for example) and then in the morning some are curled up like a skin and not stuck to the tank. What's the trick to these little devils?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Maybe you put it on upside down? I had a ton of trouble with mine too. They just disintegrated when I tried to get them off the backing paper.

I got a big sheet of allied decals in the box of cheap Sherman's I bought and they seem to work better.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 pm

They go on beautiful. Some of the bigger ones, when they dry, just seem to lift off the tank and curl up a bit. I'm trying to find something to apply to the tank first to make them "suck down" to the contours of the tank.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:13 pm

At your last games Day Scott showed me some stuff that does exactly that. I don't remember what it's called. Hopefully he'll chime jn

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 pm

It's a solution used in two parts. Micro Sol and Micro Set. BUY IT JERKY!!!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:24 am

ScottRadom wrote:It's a solution used in two parts.  Micro Sol and Micro Set.  BUY IT JERKY!!!

WTF?  2 parts?  As in, 2 separate applications?  Did we talk about this at Carson's?

Ok, I looked them up. Can you buy this stuff locally?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:25 am

Yes we did talk about it at Your place back in a'day. Any model shop should have it. Hobby world went under, there is a new place in town apparently. I'm sure I can snag some in PA if you can't find any. Lemme know.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:00 pm

I'm going into Regina to get some Testors decal set from Redline.  I was going to order Micro sol, but........

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Testors decal set eats shit. Congrats, you've just flushed like $3 down the drain asshole!

Order the micro set/ micro sol.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:33 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Testors decal set eats shit.  Congrats, you've just flushed like $3 down the drain asshole!

Order the micro set/ micro sol.

HA! The jokes on you idiot - it was only $2.50!!

And you're right - it eats shit.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 am

I use the Model master one - works great = also @ Redline

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:00 pm

The model master one, isn't that just rebranded testor's? Don get the Micro products stuff. It's the stuff.

If the Model Master is a one part solution I'd recommend upgrading to the two part stuff from Micro.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:11 pm

ScottRadom wrote:The model master one, isn't that just rebranded testor's?  Don get the Micro products stuff.  It's the stuff.  

If the Model Master is a one part solution I'd recommend upgrading to the two part stuff from Micro.
It's three part:
- you put down a gloss paint/finish, then use the decal set over top, and finally a matte over top that

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:58 pm

|marauder| wrote:
ScottRadom wrote:The model master one, isn't that just rebranded testor's?  Don get the Micro products stuff.  It's the stuff.  

It's three part:
- you put down a gloss paint/finish, then use the decal set over top, and finally a matte over top that

Right but it's a one part decal solution. The other two steps help help and are the way to go but I strongly recommend upgrading to the micro system. It's got one solution that softens the decal and the other part helps suck it onto the surface. It really comes into it's own on irregular surfaces or across molded in panel lines etc. If you ever try the Micro stuff you will throw the testors stuff against a wall in disgust.

Micro Sol and Micro set. It's the stuff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Hmmm - could you please "link it" so I could see what you are suggesting?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne0s2gsW8t0

I didn't really check out the video but this is the stuff. And make it clear I am not suggesting anything! Through the power of the Internet I ma DEMANDING all decal users switch to this wonderful product.

Kidding aside it is genuinely the best product for decals in the world. When I started using decals many winters ago the hands down consensus was this is THE go to product. And thing about it is that for ten buck or whatever this would cost you can have the very, very best in the world. Vs. getting a secondary product for 3 bucks or so.

If you wander around the model building sites the heavy hitters all use Micro. It's like Testors dullcote or Pro V1 golf balls. Some products are just way above the rest. Give these a shot and you won't be sorry!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top