Flames of War battle reports

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War battle reports

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Feel free to post your victories and stinging defeats. Let your friends cheer with your success and mock your destruction.

Played too few games on the weekend but I got a victory over Carsons Nazi bastards with my 1st Polish armoured Division. I had 3 Platoons of Sherman Fireflyes, Crusader AA, Carriers, foot sloggers, Sextons and some M10's. We were both Fearless trained so we hit each other often. Smile When it was all said and done the Polish wouldn't let the objectives go and victory was mine!

Next game was against Ryan and his Germans (Jeez, there's a lot of them) He had 2 big Tigers and it took me pretty much all game with many Fireflyes and a Platoon of M10's to bring those buggers down. Certainly not before they put big holes in a few of my tanks. He had some dug in troops which I relentlessly bombarded with tanks , etc. Absolutely no strategy on my part whatsoever. He extended his hand when it seemed he had no chance - or was bored. Not sure which. Smile

Either way, the Polacks are stacking up some victories. instead of rolling for a scenario, we're simply going through each one in order.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War battle reports

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:02 pm

My 'Merican Tanks rolled out vs. Carson in Dust up or something like that. He was using a Grenadier Kompanie with some Panzer support and some nebelwerfers. I think. The game was over so fast I couldn't really tell you what he had. Lot's of dead shit by the time we were done. I handled him easily like a professional super hero kickboxing a three year old girl. It was embarrassing for Carson. The only small victory he was able to grab from me was when his cat stole my socks the next morning. Little bastard. I took off after it about three steps then I remembered "I ain't catching no cat."

Played Ryan Glovers Grenadierkompanie afterwards. It was slightly less of a challenge then my game against Carson. Really, it's tough to imagine ANY set of circumstance by which I would have a tough time.

Okay, honesty time here. Since both were defensive battles my Tank company attacked both times. 1900 points buy's me around 22 tanks ranging from Sherman 76's to Stuarts. I also had to use priority air support as I haven't fleshed my force out to 1900 points of actual mini's yet. I don't think air support is for me. As a Tank company I try to get up in these bitches guts as quick as possible which means air support isn't of much value. Picking off supporting artillery elements and such at the rear doesn't seem as valuable as more stands on the table applying forward pressure. I think I'll get some recce troops to make sure I don't start running into too many ambushing PaK's and stuff.

Anyway with 22 tanks and the ability both times to put an objective fairly in the open as close to me as legal it was really too much too fast. Also both Carson and Ryan didn't get any first or second turn reserves to help out either. So it was more of a no contest in both situations rather than a real battle. But if it was a real battle I would have kicked that ass even harder! It's what I'm about.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Rolling Eyes to both of you!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Scott, that's what I found in our game too. My reserves couldn't get onto the table fast enough to stop all your tanks. Especially when I failed to roll a 5 in my first two turns. Without anything to slow down your tanks I felt like I was on the back foot right from the start and I never could recover. Maybe its just a matter of figuring out what my options are when it comes to scenarios and what I could be facing. I feel like I made bad choices when it came time to decide what to keep in reserve and ambush and what to deploy.

Say I've got my normal paratrooper list:

CHQ w/ 3 tetrarch CS and a captured German halftrack
3 Cromwells
3 Cromwells
3 Tetrarchs
4 6pdr AT guns
Motorcycle Recce
Airlanding Platoon
Airlanding Platoon
Air Support

8 platoons so usually 4 of those are going to end up in reserve. Do I put the Cromwells, tetrarchs and Recce into reserve and keep the infantry and AT guns? That seems dangerous because then my tanks will come on in spurts and get destroyed one platoon at a time. Maybe rather I keep the 6 cromwells on the table to start and leave behind an airlanding platoon, the tetrarchs, 6 pdrs and the Recce? Although the 6 pdrs are a great ambushing platoon. Maybe leave both airlanding platoons behind? But then they don't get dug in at the start. Too many choices and I don't have enough games under my belt to make good, informed decisions on this kind of thing.

I guess probably the thing to do would be to leave the tanks off, dig my infantry and guns into the objectives and hope to get good reserve rolls. When the tanks come on I have cautious movement which gives my tanks 'gone to ground' if they are concealed and don't shoot so I could move them on and into position under concealment without taking too many casualties hopefully. If I deploy intelligently my 6pdrs should be able to cover both objectives and my infantry are all Tank Assault 3 so tanks often think twice about assaulting them, especially if they have 6pdr defensive fire backing them up. Plus if I get lucky with my air support I can hopefully slow the advance of the tanks somewhat. I don't know, this is all theoretical at the moment as I've only had 2 games at 1900 points.

TLDR: I need to play more games so I can figure out what the hell I'm doing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Those are pretty much te same things I struggle with. Also, keep in mind that air support doesn't count as a platoon, so you only actually have 7 platoons.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I find with my tanks, especially the armour 6 trained variety (or weaker) I play with that the longer the game goes on the more likely I am losing.

In a game where there are two objectives if I am attacking I really need to ignore the far one and concentrate on the near. I might send the stuarts off if it's undefended but I think if I am defending against a fast attacking tank company I ignore the rear objective and have confidence a reserve platoon will come on in the 3 turns or so it will take for the attacker to reach it. Anything moving that fast will likely be weak so I think this is fair.

A dug in infantry platoon is a must for defending the near objective and I am kind of waffling with what to do on any AT guns. Ambush sounds great but if the guns are on the table and firing then at the very least they should be slowing down the oncoming tanks. Buying a turn maybe even two is really scary to me as an attacking tank dude. An ambushing platoon can at best blow up an entire platoon then maybe make more of an impact but if it hasn't slowed the advance there are likely 2-3 more platoons of armour on or right near the objective.

I have no respect or fear of Air support against my tanks. For the same reason I don't like taking it. I am either up in your grill where I should be and the planes won't drop ordinance or you're picking off some reserve stuff not directly involved in the game.

In short I think throwing everything into the defense of the nearest objective and concentrating on drawing the game out is the way to go. TWO dug in infantry platoons would have made it impossible to win any of the games I played I think.

And even then especially against Ryan and Carson I got really lucky with lack of reserves and dodged some incoming AT shells as well.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm

My HQ counts as a platoon led by my 2ic. It's a platoon of 2 Tetrarch CS tanks and the half track AA. That makes 8.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:56 pm

I quickly realized that in a reserves game you need to Dig in everything around the closest objective and then hope for good reserve rolls. AT and Infantry platoons are key for this.

On another note, we were talking this last weekend about tackling the FOW campaign over the course of a games weekend. Scott mentioned the bagration box set had a great system. The only problem is that there are no Russians in our group other than Sean.......No

We could easily swap out British/American for the soviets and give this a go.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 am

Whats up with Soviets? im lost... my army is more or less ready to go in one stat or another lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 am

I'd be up for it. FOW seems to fit a campaign better than Warhammer anyway. If we set a fairly laid-back schedule I don't see why it wouldn't work.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

campaign

Post  Ddodge on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:42 pm

hi- i'd be up for a FOW campaign. I could play British or Germans.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Id be in for doing a FoW campaign, if u guys want some Soviet tanks along. I think FoW makes more sense hence would be funner for a campaign imo

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Ddodge wrote:hi- i'd be up for a FOW campaign. I could play British or Germans.

As I live and breathe.... good to see Dodge around!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 am

Played a 1500 point game with Lorne last night. He had a German infantry company so my Mechanized Brits played the role of attacker in a Hold the Line scenario. Despite everything discussed on this thread I played it cautious at the start. I held my tanks back, shooting at his tanks. I did drive my tetrarchs forward aggressively only to have him ambush with a platoon of 4 wesps and blast them into oblivion. In my following turn I shot with my Cromwells, tetrarchs and 6pdrs and managed to hit all 4 of his Wesps and his 2 remaining tanks. He saved one Wesp with armour and then I rolled firepower but only managed to destroy 1 wesp and bail the remainder of his tanks. That was disappointing because if I had destroyed them I could have advanced my armour forward to the objective with impunity. As it was those remaining tanks plagued me for the rest of the game. I managed to get my two infantry platoons onto the objective but he had too much stuff contesting and I couldn't assault against the sheer volume of defensive fire he had.

The game stretched out until after midnight until he managed to pick off my last cromwell and I failed a company morale check (the first one I had to take) and my fearless veterans ran away. I did have the small satisfaction that in his turn in the assault that killed my last Cromwell I managed to kill the last contesting team on the objective and in his stormtrooper movement phase he forgot to move anything into contesting range. Had I passed the company morale check I would have won but it would have been a shitty way to win.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 am

Are Tetrarchs Recce? Totally don't understand how it works but I'm bringing it up about the ambush thingee.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 am

Nope.  Only recce my Recce squadron has access to is the motorcycle Recce teams.

edit: recce recce recce

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:07 am

Here's the table we played on, Lorne defended the South (bottom) side of this table with one objective to the left of the large square field on the East (right) and the other by the bridge. I deployed on the road and by the woods in the NorthEast (top right)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

You need buildings. Build some rectangles! Wink

I took a long look at the 4ground houses and terrain. The houses are excellent and not bad price. No real roads though. Sad

I'm actually thinking on putting in a big order if someone wants to hop on?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:41 pm

I do.  I want the ruined church and a ruined building or two.

edit:
- Damaged Parish Church
- Damaged Shops 2
- Damaged Semi Type 2

Is exactly what I'm looking for. Should come out to a little more than $100.

Last edited by nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more specific)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:53 am

Yes buildings would help

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 pm

It's interesting to read this post a while later and see how far you guys have come.
Well done gentlemen!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 19, 2016 5:15 pm

I agree. I reread this whole thread and appreciated the enthusiasm in the posts.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Had a 1775 game with Sean Froc and his Canadians today. I played my Rota Razvedki, Soviet list. Played the surrounded scenario with him in the middle.

He had:
2 Platoons of Infantry riding in Rams
2 Sherman, 2 Firefly
25 Pdrs
6 Pdrs
recce?

I had:
2 Platoons Infantry on scout cars with .50 cal
10 76mm Sherman, .50 cals
5 M10's
3 M17, AA half tracks
Spetnaz (recce)

I'm not going to stop playing trained, as that's all there is in Soviets, but it's a big difference in trained vs. Veteran. Had a super fun game and all the .50 cals in the world can't get through the Rams front armour 5. I needed more tanks and my M10's got shot by the Fireflyes right away, leaving my 76mm on the other flank dealing with 6 pounders and 25 pdrs. I didn't really hurt the Canadians too much but there sure was a lot of dead Russians on the table. Man, this is the only way to learn the rules - get some games in!! I tweaked my list, like I do after pretty much every game and retired the M10's knowing I can get 4 Churchills or 10!!!! Shermans for the same price.

This is such a great game with rich strategy....cuz I am a strategist after all. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue May 24, 2016 9:22 am

Sounds fun - Sean was still pumped on Sunday when I talked to him

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Speaking of that, I told my wife that Saturdays would be Warhammer and Sundays would be Flames of War. As tolerant as she is, she asked if I could figure out another schedule that wouldn't have me spending every weekend, all weekend - just playing games. So I figured I would just stagger weekends. One weekend Warhammer on Saturdays (either here or Saskatoon) and Flames of War the next weekend, etc, etc. I'm meeting more and more flames of War guys, so this gives a loose schedule to plan around.

so, next weekend (June 4th) Steve Beauchamp and Sean Froc were planning to stop by for a FoW day. I'll reach out to Matt and anyone from Saskatoon - this would be a perfect time to get some games in. Lance, of course you're invited and anyone else feeling the itch.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top