Squalie vs. Flames of War

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Squalie vs. Flames of War

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:17 am

Ya Scott, these were real people! Have you no shame?!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 am

squalie wrote:Ya Scott, these were real people!  Have you no shame?!
For the most part the "real people" are not game altering.
However, there are a few that are - Patton & Whittmann; however, if you lose said hero you lose a point. Meaning a player can beat you 7-0 in a 6-1 game. Huge - yes, really. Makes hunting your hero worth it. Not all heroes give the victory point (in point of fact few do) but the game changes can/do.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:31 pm

So Lance, do you see many people using named characters?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 pm

squalie wrote:So Lance, do you see many people using named characters?
Otto is a favorite right now with his JT in LW - he will brew up a lot of your tanks for sure. Best defense is smoke him.
-> killing him is worth a point as well

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:06 pm

nathanr wrote:I've got a special character in my Canadian list, heck for another 25 points I could have 2!  They are a good way to boost the quality of a platoon.  I'd say go for it.  After all, there were special characters in real life.

Of course. Why not just have a list called "Late War all stars of war!" and have at 'er? You can put Audie Murphy on the wing, Patton on the other side and Gretzky down the middle.

You boys have fun, I'll be over here learning how to play my army without leaning on as many special rules as possible.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:00 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
nathanr wrote:I've got a special character in my Canadian list, heck for another 25 points I could have 2!  They are a good way to boost the quality of a platoon.  I'd say go for it.  After all, there were special characters in real life.

Of course.  Why not just have a list called "Late War all stars of war!" and have at 'er?  You can put Audie Murphy on the wing, Patton on the other side and Gretzky down the middle.

You boys have fun, I'll be over here learning how to play my army without leaning on as many special rules as possible.

Hm, maybe a bit melodramatic? Very Happy I see what Scott is saying and tend to agree with that mindset though. I may rethink this named thing, I've always enjoyed making fun of "those guys" anyways.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 pm

If you want a boat-load of special characters you could always play US paratroopers. I think they have every character from Band of Brothers in there.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Yes I think Easy Company is represented with about a dozen or so warrior teams.

FoW really appeals to me because mostly I don't have to know too much about your force to have a fair shake at playing level game with you. Infantry that's confident trained, okay fair enough. Maybe a couple special rules for the army like british bulldog or German stormtrooper movement etc. Adding a special character means it's just one more thing I have to remember about YOUR army. Not mine. I can watch Nathan drive his cromwells right at a thick forest and think "huh, that's seems a poor choice on his part. He's gonna get bogged as shit in those woods probably and it'll eat some time before he comes through the other side to threaten the objective. Man I must be the craftiest mo-fo alive to have put my objective there!".

Nathan's turn he says "I'm gonna drive my cromwells through this thick as balls forest. Remember I got sir fat-tracks the special character so I ain't getting stuck in that shit. Prepare to get ass-blasted right on that objective over there. I must be the craftiest mo-fo alive to have bought that special character!".

Who's right? I dunno. But probably me.

Take whatever you want. In all seriousness I would start off taking as stark naked a list as possible just to make sure you spend time learning the core rules of the game and your army before worrying about the rest. Special characters usually bug me because it feels like a quick fix to stuff. "You know what sucks, getting tanks stuck in shit. I'll buy this guy so I can still drive into shit like a potato head and not get stuck."

Granted you have to pay a premium for the abilities warriors hand out so maybe I'm full of shit.

How many years have we played Warhammer? Anyone keep forgetting things like the magic phase and the entire shooting phase? Each nation has a couple special rules as is that are important to have hammered home. I've played FoW a bunch and it still feels real new to me. I'm dead serious when I say as Warhammer players we have to unlearn a bunch of habits that were essential to success in that game to have fun competitive games in FoW. Maybe my prejudgement against special characters and the ladies who love them is something I have to unlearn.

I will play you guys with whatever legal lists you like, I will make sure like in all things you know exactly how I feel about what you've done, what you're doing, and what you're probably going to do. Plus game stuff. It's what makes it fun!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:42 am

ScottRadom wrote:Yes I think Easy Company is represented with about a dozen or so warrior teams.

FoW really appeals to me because mostly I don't have to know too much about your force to have a fair shake at playing level game with you.  Infantry that's confident trained, okay fair enough.  Maybe a couple special rules for the army like british bulldog or German stormtrooper movement etc.  Adding a special character means it's just one more thing I have to remember about YOUR army.  Not mine.  I can watch Nathan drive his cromwells right at a thick forest and think "huh, that's seems a poor choice on his part.  He's gonna get bogged as shit in those woods probably and it'll eat some time before he comes through the other side to threaten the objective.  Man I must be the craftiest mo-fo alive to have put my objective there!".

Nathan's turn he says "I'm gonna drive my cromwells through this thick as balls forest.  Remember I got sir fat-tracks the special character so I ain't getting stuck in that shit.  Prepare to get ass-blasted right on that objective over there.  I must be the craftiest mo-fo alive to have bought that special character!".

Who's right?  I dunno.  But probably me.
The rules - objectives must lay flat.
ScottRadom wrote:
Take whatever you want.  In all seriousness I would start off taking as stark naked a list as possible just to make sure you spend time learning the core rules of the game and your army before worrying about the rest.
Good advice
ScottRadom wrote:
 Special characters usually bug me because it feels like a quick fix to stuff.  "You know what sucks, getting tanks stuck in shit.  I'll buy this guy so I can still drive into shit like a potato head and not get stuck."
A bog roll is a one, plus putting tanks into a heavy wooded area is not ideal as it usually limits their fire to 6" visibility...unless they are driving out of it in which case you want them to go someplace; regardless the tanks have slowed down to an 8" move for probably two turns. Yiu have to also understand I am well known for bogging a lot of my units. This guy is gold to me - too bad he is not available in any list I play.
ScottRadom wrote:

Granted you have to pay a premium for the abilities warriors hand out so maybe I'm full of shit.
Yes, more points spent = less units or upgrades

ScottRadom wrote:
How many years have we played Warhammer?  Anyone keep forgetting things like the magic phase and the entire shooting phase?  Each nation has a couple special rules as is that are important to have hammered home.  I've played FoW a bunch and it still feels real new to me.  I'm dead serious when I say as Warhammer players we have to unlearn a bunch of habits that were essential to success in that game to have fun competitive games in FoW.  Maybe my prejudgement against special characters and the ladies who love them is something I have to unlearn.
I very rarely play with special characters as I need every point I can get - plus most lists I play I don't have access to any.
ScottRadom wrote:
I will play you guys with whatever legal lists you like, I will make sure like in all things you know exactly how I feel about what you've done, what you're doing, and what you're probably going to do.  Plus game stuff.  It's what makes it fun!
FoW is very balanced most special characters just add flavor or mitigate an area you struggle with your forces. Joe from MG is a prime example.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 am

Alright Lads, I started to paint some Tanks and I just couldn't stop, so I painted 15 of them.  Cromwell and Challenger are my favorite, so a perfect time to get started on my 11th armoured "Black Bull" Division.  3 Platoons of them and I made sure I got the decals just right and each tank has it's own number.

1st Platoon

2nd Platoon

3rd Platoon

Showing the ID and bridge markings

The guys that give the orders and the tow truck.  The 1ic, 2ic and ARV

I have some Stuarts and 25pdrs to do next before I start tackling infantry. I think I have the colours and steps down so the rest of the army should go pretty quick. I also know what Scott means by painting something different to get you motivated.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:32 am

Those look great Don!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am

They sure do!
Great job!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Love em. My Germans will still brew them up in a spectacular fashion. Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:09 pm

That's interesting. I'm curious as to what the challengers will do to your tanks....before they get shot to bits.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Keep it up Don! on the decals if I may suggest hitting them with a thinned glaze of a brown/black or whatever wash. Try it on one and see if you like it compared to the rest.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:14 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Keep it up Don!  on the decals if I may suggest hitting them with a thinned glaze of a brown/black or whatever wash.  Try it on one and see if you like it compared to the rest.

It's funny you mention that Scott. I noticed in the pictures that the tanks and decals look brighter than they do in the real lifes. I actually applied the decals, washed them in Agrax Earthshade (not sissy Seraphim Sepia) which I thought would be too dark, drybrushed Russian uniform, then Russian uniform/spacewolves grey highlights. Meaning that these decals have wash AND paint over the darn things and still look bright. I agree though, they need some muddin' up.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:15 am

Take the pictures in black and white and see how they fair Wink
Actually I am a little serious...yes really

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:15 pm

|marauder| wrote:Take the pictures in black and white and see how they fair Wink
Actually I am a little serious...yes really

I think I know where you're going with this....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri May 01, 2015 11:46 am

excellent!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Continuing on, I finished some Stuarts this weekend

And, my first Platoon of Comets. Can't wait to see how these guys disappoint! Very Happy

Already started on my 25 Pounders and should have those and a Rifle Platoon finished next weekend.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Those comets are the best of the lot. Well done!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun May 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Nicely done! I guess I've got to get back on the painting train.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I think you have a knack for 15mm, well done.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 am

Looking really good Don!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 22, 2015 10:45 pm

I've still been painting and finally sat down to post more pictures.

I'll start with the very ubiquitous Universal Carriers.  Cheap as Borscht.

Pretty much Mandatory for British, the 25 pdr

And the Feared 5.5's.  These boys don't care where you're hiding.

Some Recce Daimler 1's and a sawn off Daimler

And some 40mm Bofors to get rid of those pesky German planes

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top