Flames of War

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Flames of War

Post  |marauder| on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Kal wrote:Why is it I really want Red Bear?
Cause it is the best Soviet book to date Smile
Kal wrote:
I've heard Desperate Measures was the way to go?
Maybe for a German player - not a Soviet one. The infantry companies are too small and the tanks are over pointed as all skill checks are as veteran - but you are still shot at as trained.
Kal wrote:
Whats the biggest difference?
Size (Red Bear is a hard cover large book compared to Desperate Measures which is a softcover with only a few lists per nation) and time (literally) -> Red Bear is at the beginning of Late War -> while Desperate Measures is near the middle and Berlin will be the end. The equipment and levels of experience will/must be different. That being said you have to understand the Soviet army is vastly different than any other army. Basically you are playing a horde army each and every choice you make must/should be to equip your army with the worst equipment you can get; in order to get more. If you have a choice between something very cool and powerful you can only get one of, or a mediocre one you get a few of, or crappy unit you get a tonne of -> well, you should/must take the crappy one.
Kal wrote:
Berlin Out? Damn it im not a patient man
Soon
Kal wrote:
The online Flames of War Shop, im just looking at tank names and the pics and figuring out what I have.
That will work - or post them here I can let you know too.
Kal wrote:
So IS-85's have the same firepower as T34-85's except they have more armor? Yeah not cool, need more boom from my heavy tanks.
Wrong - you need more ROF. ROF2 AT12 is vastly superior to ROF1 AT15 with a +1 to hit if you move. Just cause you have a big gun doesn't mean you can hit the broad side of a tank with it. IS 85s have ROF2 while IS2s have ROF1. Let's look at some numbers. I have my Vet Panzer IVs in a group of trees 27" away from you = Veterans 4+, long range 5+, & concealed 6 to hit. Oh, wait you have IS2s that moved = you need to roll 7s on a D6... Wink
'Lance - wait I need the larger AT for Tigers' --> okay let's do that again. Wait still a miss with the IS2s...
Bear in mind that IS85s & IS2s are both Guard units and not subject to Hen & Chicks - oh, wait you play with Desperate Measures and don't have that negative rule. But, you have way less tanks. And, like I said earlier you are a horde list = playing with less of a horde is always bad. Should let you play my son, Levi, in a friendly game of Soviet on Soviet. Your equipment is so much better than his. I am sure you will run over top of him  No
Kal wrote:
U said the assault was pushed back if 2 or more tanks were destroyed / bailed out? Is it still just 2 tanks even if I have a unit of 6 of them or a unit of 10?
Correct - even if you have a unit/company of 16 tanks -> it is still pushed back. The only difference is for a Soviet unit/company is the infantry; they have to suffer/receive 10 hits in defensive fire instead of 5 to be pushed back/pinned.
Kal wrote:
Well if the Germans copied them then they gotta be pretty good, is TE's on everything TOO much or?
Only if you don't have the points...

Last edited by |marauder| on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:46 pm

What makes red bear so good? that's the one ill be getting then!

My army is Fearless Trained, not sure what all that means yet.

Ok I get that more is better thing, im cool with that. Armored wall of tanks is still an armored wall of tanks lol.

Ok... well still gonna pass on the IS-85's I think... don't rly have a good reason.

Damn, my tanks better not break! losing 2 of them seems like an easy thing, the TE's will help with this or give up more damage?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 am

Kal wrote:What makes red bear so good?

Red Bear is at the beginning of Late War; that being said you have to understand the Soviet army is vastly different than any other army. Basically you are playing a horde army. Each and every choice you make must/should be to equip your army with the worst equipment you can get; in order to get more. If you have a choice between something very cool and powerful you can only get one of, or a mediocre one you get a few of, or crappy unit you get a tonne of -> well, you should/must take the crappy one.
You will/should notice right off the hop almost every unit you have is a higher level than you - you play with a companies while your opponents play with platoons - you play with a battalion while they have a company. This is not just a fancy choice of wording - it is the very core of your army/list - the game designers have built this into the Soviet Army. It makes sense as it is historically accurate; the Soviet had more tanks than any other Army in WWII - they also lost more as well.
Kal wrote:
that's the one ill be getting then!
Plus the huge variety of lists inside the book.
Kal wrote:
FT from Desperate Measures? It is FT and it isn't. What FT means normally is that on motivation checks you pass on a Fearless 3+ on a D6. And, with being trained you are shot at at 3+ on a D6. However, the Trained Soviets in DM (Desperate Measures) are skilled as veterans meaning they make skill checks at 3+ instead of 4+ = assaults, digging in, freeing from being bogged - etc. etc.
Wait - did you say what that means yet?
Kal wrote:
Okay let me step back - there are three levels of motivation:
Fearless-3+
Confident-4+
Reluctant-5+
& three levels of skill:
Veteran-3+
Trained-4+
Conscpript-5+
Better? Now, my gibberish making sense?
Kal wrote:
Ok I get that more is better thing, im cool with that. Armored wall of tanks is still an armored wall of tanks lol.
Yes, but the quality of the armour is the quantity for Soviets
Kal wrote:
Ok... well still gonna pass on the IS-85's I think... don't rly have a good reason.
Great - play me anytime Wink
Kal wrote:
Damn, my tanks better not break! losing 2 of them seems like an easy thing, the TE's will help with this or give up more damage?
Break or bounce?
If you mean "break" you have to lose more than half of your company in order to deal with a motivation test/check -> which is at Fearless = 3+
If you mean "bounce" -> in LW you will most likely "bounce" with two bailed or two destroyed tanks. Just about every infantry list in LW has more than enough AT (antitank) weapons to stop assaulting tanks - nullifying your TEs - with defensive fire.
Welcome to LW - another reason a lot of us like to play MW & EW = way less bouncing of assaults.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top